Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones tongue designs - 14 On Fire Euro Tour
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 5, 2014 17:25

Who designs all these concert shirts for this year and last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 23:56 by bv.

Re: Stones design
Posted by: RoyalHue ()
Date: July 10, 2014 17:45

Bravado Merchandising (Universal Music Group) handles designing the tour merchandise. They have in-house and freelance designers that work on multiple concepts to present for each venue on the tour. Probably about 10-12 per show. Surprisingly, Mick personally approves the designs with other band members' contributing. I say surprisingly because not all artists directly decide/handle merchandising on that level.

I was honored personally to have some of my designs chosen for this year's 14 on Fire european tour. My poster/shirt designs were The Pinkpop Doll, Berlin Tower, Dusseldorf Zollhof, and Rome Bocca Verita.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 10, 2014 17:57

RoyalHue
Bravado Merchandising (Universal Music Group) handles designing the tour merchandise. They have in-house and freelance designers that work on multiple concepts to present for each venue on the tour. Probably about 10-12 per show. Surprisingly, Mick personally approves the designs with other band members' contributing. I say surprisingly because not all artists directly decide/handle merchandising on that level.

I was honored personally to have some of my designs chosen for this year's 14 on Fire european tour. My poster/shirt designs were The Pinkpop Doll, Berlin Tower, Dusseldorf Zollhof, and Rome Bocca Verita.

I love your designs that they used.

Did you submit any that they didn't use? Are you able to show them?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:16

RoyalHue
salute to you, sir! the Berlin one especially sticks out!
did you happen to see the greenish abstraction i made of it?
i found it fit the forest location theme better. anyways,
that is some excellent work man

Date: July 10, 2014 18:35

MingSubu
RoyalHue

I love your designs that they used.

Did you submit any that they didn't use? Are you able to show them?

Thank you very much Ming, I do appreciate that. I submitted designs for every Europe show that was after Lisbon one, except Belgium. I don't know the legality of sharing the "ones that got away" or rejected. I don't really want any issues on that front, but I'll investigate it with Bravado to see if I can. If it's cool with them, I'll see what I can do to present them here. I've seen online that another designer has put some of his rejected designs up, but I don't know much about it.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 10, 2014 18:43

RoyalHue

Congratulations and thanks too for sharing this interesting information! The general consensus seems to be that the designs for this European tour are the best overall that they've had for years. I am not alone in marvelling at the cheeky genius of the Rome design and the Pinkpop one is equally cheeky. Great work!

Date: July 10, 2014 18:45

Nikkei
salute to you, sir! the Berlin one especially sticks out!
did you happen to see the greenish abstraction i made of it?
i found it fit the forest location theme better. anyways,
that is some excellent work man[/quote]

Thank you Nikkei, I did like that concept as well. Had 3 total designs that I submitted for Berlin. I saw your green version, good colorization effect, and definitely understood where you were coming from in matching the mood in the venue being outdoors. I actually submitted a Waldbuhne specific design that had the lips taking on the shapes of the main tent and tongue coming out as the stage...man I dug that one. Saddened to hear they passed on it, but pleased it was another one of my designs. I'll see what I can do to post it. Thank you again for the compliment.

Date: July 10, 2014 18:57

Beast
RoyalHue

Congratulations and thanks too for sharing this interesting information! The general consensus seems to be that the designs for this European tour are the best overall that they've had for years. I am not alone in marvelling at the cheeky genius of the Rome design and the Pinkpop one is equally cheeky. Great work!

Awesome beast! Thank you very much. They were a bit cheeky, i admit smiling smiley. I always find it interesting and helpful to hear peoples' response to designs, good or bad. Gotta have a thick skin. I'm pleased to hear that Europe Tour designs were well received, means a lot knowing the energy that went into all designs, chosen and not. I was really honored to be among some talented artists out there. Oslo and Madrid were killer posters imo. Personal favs.

Date: July 10, 2014 19:15

RoyalHue
Oslo and Madrid were killer posters imo. Personal favs.

which one of them, if i may ask? the glacier one is equal to the northern lights IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 19:21 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:23

Great work

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:37

Thanks for the posts. Myself I really thought the evolution shirts from last years us tour with the 16 tongue was neat and well thought of. All my friends thought so too, we just wished Mick had it printed in on a black shirt and not grey. Black would have showed the colors up more. The cream color was okay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 19:38 by babyblue.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:42

You can feel very pleased with yourself, it was a lot better design this tour.

Is there any chance you could have a word about getting the posters delivered, been waiting over a month now. Only joking thumbs up

Date: July 10, 2014 20:33

RoyalHue
Beast
RoyalHue

Awesome beast! Thank you very much. They were a bit cheeky, i admit smiling smiley. I always find it interesting and helpful to hear peoples' response to designs, good or bad. Gotta have a thick skin. I'm pleased to hear that Europe Tour designs were well received, means a lot knowing the energy that went into all designs, chosen and not. I was really honored to be among some talented artists out there. Oslo and Madrid were killer posters imo. Personal favs.

The northern lights one. like the use of color and execution of the backdrop. The sweater concept I also liked as a shirt design.

Date: July 10, 2014 20:36

babyblue
Thanks for the posts. Myself I really thought the evolution shirts from last years us tour with the 16 tongue was neat and well thought of. All my friends thought so too, we just wished Mick had it printed in on a black shirt and not grey. Black would have showed the colors up more. The cream color was okay.

Mick can only pick from what he's shown really, I wouldn't place any wishes there. Getting an appropriate contrast on a shirt design and complimentary garment color is really the designers role.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 10, 2014 20:39

RoyalHue

4 out of 14! This is great, and you've done an excellent job, like the other designers. For no particular reason, I loved the "sweater poster" design for Oslo.

Re: Stones tongue designs - 14 On Fire European tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:46

RoyalHue

Congratulations. Great work!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:57

bye bye johnny
RoyalHue

Yes! Royal Hue, I loved your designs. The Pinkpop Doll and Berlin Tower are two of my favorites. I even bought Rome Bocca Verita for a guy who loves pizza, and is a big Stones fan. To me The Bocca Verita can pass for a rolled-out pizza before the sauce and toppings are applied, lol. It just looks good. It's a brilliant adaptation of the Roman sculpture, in any case.

If you find you can post the rejected pieces, I'd love to see your Waldbüehne poster with the lips and tongue built into the tent and stage.

*Questions* for you: Where did you study art, if you did, and for how long have you been an artist?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 10, 2014 22:17

loved all the euro shirts & posters. where can we track down the rejected designs on line?
loved the rome shirt. looked up the history and was very surprised. never knew any otf that. you learn a lot being a rolling stones fanatic.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 10, 2014 22:46

RoyalHue

Great designs. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 10, 2014 23:11

RoyalHue

Congratulations...that is indeed very cool

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 10, 2014 23:32

I was contacted by a Stones t-shirt designer back in 2006. It was for the gig in Horsens. They wanted to make a special event tee, and needed ideas. (The designer was the one who made an ABB tee with a lobster on it). In the end they didn't use my idea, but opted for a far lamer design. They chose the one with the stage on the back and a Danish tongue on the front. My idea was I zillion times better. I told them to make a yellow shirt (colour of the local football club), with a prancing black muscular horse (The town crest has a white horse standing by a tree - It should look rock n roll though), that's branded with the stones logo (Stones) and the text should say "Wild Horsens". I was so bummed out when they didn't use it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 11, 2014 13:46

I'd love to have an actual sweater of this. I have a tossle cap, not a Stones one, that is almost identical.

Nikkei

JumpinKentFlash, your picture sounds very cool. Can you post it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 13:46 by MingSubu.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:22

angee
bye bye johnny
RoyalHue

Yes! Royal Hue, I loved your designs. The Pinkpop Doll and Berlin Tower are two of my favorites. I even bought Rome Bocca Verita for a guy who loves pizza, and is a big Stones fan. To me The Bocca Verita can pass for a rolled-out pizza before the sauce and toppings are applied, lol. It just looks good. It's a brilliant adaptation of the Roman sculpture, in any case.

If you find you can post the rejected pieces, I'd love to see your Waldbüehne poster with the lips and tongue built into the tent and stage.

*Questions* for you: Where did you study art, if you did, and for how long have you been an artist?

Thank you angee, definitely appreciate your feedback and compliments. I'll see what I can do about posting my rejects, I'd love at least to give some life to those designs and an opportunity to share them.

To answer your questions... I've been an artist for about 15 years, I studied design and advertising at the University of North Texas and the University of Arizona.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:34

sundevil
loved all the euro shirts & posters. where can we track down the rejected designs on line?
loved the rome shirt. looked up the history and was very surprised. never knew any otf that. you learn a lot being a rolling stones fanatic.

Thank you for the compliment, glad you enjoyed the tour merch. I don't know where you can track down the rejects honestly, doing what I can to see if I can display mine on some level.

Sundevil you do learn a lot, I'm glad you brought that up. I felt I learned a tremendous amount during my design contributions. I wasn't aware of the Bocca Verita prior for instance. It's part of my process with any project to enrich myself about what I'm trying to communicate. I literally researched every venue, city, notable landmark, band history with certain locations, cultures, etc... along the tour. It was the goal for the Tour's merchandise to really highlight each city or festival and making each design personally tailored and unique.

Date: July 11, 2014 16:45

JumpingKentFlash
I was contacted by a Stones t-shirt designer back in 2006. It was for the gig in Horsens. They wanted to make a special event tee, and needed ideas. (The designer was the one who made an ABB tee with a lobster on it). In the end they didn't use my idea, but opted for a far lamer design. They chose the one with the stage on the back and a Danish tongue on the front. My idea was I zillion times better. I told them to make a yellow shirt (colour of the local football club), with a prancing black muscular horse (The town crest has a white horse standing by a tree - It should look rock n roll though), that's branded with the stones logo (Stones) and the text should say "Wild Horsens". I was so bummed out when they didn't use it.

Very cool JumpingKent, would love to see it if you wanted to share. Like the sound of the concept. I do feel your pain about feeling a better design not getting chosen. Literally happens every week in my line of work, part of the job really. Designers joke to each other that the best designs never get seen winking smiley We get attached and put so much energy/thought into our creation and inevitably some else usually decides if it's the right choice. With design/art being subjective, its always the challenge to get your favorite design chosen. Keep on keeping on though Kent, I hope you still are into your craft and enjoying it.

Re: Stones tongue designs - 14 On Fire Euro Tour
Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 11, 2014 17:01

Wonderful work, Royalhue! There have been a number of standout poster/t-shirt designs for 14 ON FIRE, and many of us have been interested to know more about the artists behind them. Thanks so much for posting and sharing the background info about the selection process and your personal process as well. I think the Berlin poster is truly outstanding and I absolutely love the Pinkpop Doll thumbs upthumbs up! As others have mentioned, I would also very much like to see your unused designs, if Bravado has no issue w/ it.

A few of us here would love to be doing what you’re doing, and I have a few questions that I hope you won’t mind answering:

How did you come to design Stones event posters for Bravado?

Are you on staff there or freelance?

You mentioned that Mick is the main “decider”(w/ contributions from other band members). Before ideas are submitted to him for approval, do you know if Bravado uses a fan focus group to gauge interest / provide opinions / offer suggestions on proposed Stones merch? If not, IMO, it would be easy to find volunteer fans to create such a group, and good for business as well. In particular, I think there is a shortage of cool women’s cut t-shirts and accessories (I’m amazed that your spectacular Pinkpop tee was only available cut for men – that design was perfect for a women’s baby doll tee, and it would have sold like gangbusters!).

What is your best advice for those who wish to contact Bravado to offer merchandise designs/ideas?

Thanks again, and hope to see more of your designs when the Australian leg rolls around smiling smiley!

Date: July 12, 2014 15:23

RoyalHue

Thank you Nikkei, I did like that concept as well. Had 3 total designs that I submitted for Berlin. I saw your green version, good colorization effect, and definitely understood where you were coming from in matching the mood in the venue being outdoors. I actually submitted a Waldbuhne specific design that had the lips taking on the shapes of the main tent and tongue coming out as the stage...man I dug that one. Saddened to hear they passed on it, but pleased it was another one of my designs. I'll see what I can do to post it. Thank you again for the compliment.
now you got me all excited! my email is nick-jans<at>web.de ;-)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 12, 2014 16:07

I agree 100% with Plink about the lamentable dearth of Rolling Stones T-shirts for women. NONE of the designs for the 14 on Fire tour were available in women's sizes, which is an appalling state of affairs, IMHO. I for one found it to be very annoying, not to say discriminatory angry smiley They are missing a serious trick here - do they think women don't want tp buy their T-shirts or what???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 16:08 by Beast.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 12, 2014 16:17

Beast
I agree 100% with Plink about the lamentable dearth of Rolling Stones T-shirts for women. NONE of the designs for the 14 on Fire tour were available in women's sizes, which is an appalling state of affairs, IMHO. I for one found it to be very annoying, not to say discriminatory angry smiley They are missing a serious trick here - do they think women don't want tp buy their T-shirts or what???

Yes, Yes!! So wish some of those cool designs were available in a size that actually fit me. Men's smalls are fine for knocking around the house or running errands, but if I want to go out wearing a Stones tee, I have to go with a unofficial one.

Beautiful work Royalhue, congratulations!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:03

Very cool to see you posting here, RoyalHue! I love the Bocca Verita design especially - very witty!
And it would be great to see the rejects if you can upload them somewhere for us to see.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home