Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

AC/DC BACK IN BLACK certification : ouch !
Posted by: roby ()
Date: June 8, 2005 17:53

Among the various certifications issued by the Recording Industry Association (RIAA) in May is a truly notable achievement for Australian hard rock act AC/DC. The group's 1980 breakthrough "Back in Black" was certified for U.S. shipments of 21 million copies, tying it for fifth place on the RIAA's all-time best-sellers list.

"Back in Black" is now tied on the all-time list with Billy Joel's "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & II," which reached 21 million in 2000. The leader of the list remains "Eagles/Their Greatest Hits" (Asylum), last certified in 2002 at 28 million. In second is Michael Jackson's "Thriller" (Epic), which reached 27 million in an April RIAA accounting, followed by Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (23 million/1999; Capitol) and "Led Zeppelin IV" (22 million/1999; Atlantic).

AC/DC also earned a triple-platinum certification in May for 1976's "High Voltage."

Back in Black reached 42 million worldwide.

Re: AC/DC BACK IN BLACK certification : ouch !
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 8, 2005 20:11

I saw this on the Billboard website but it was a few months ago. It is by far AC/DC's best selling CD and I'm sure it will surpass the others eventually except for The Eagles Greatest Hits. With these certifications, I believe it puts AC/DC ahead of the Stones as far as albums sold in the US.
I mentioned in a different Thread recently that I purchased BIB as a new Dual Disc where one side is the regular CD and the other side is a DVD of the making of the album.
Eagles sure sell a lot of their Greatest Hits CD. I believe over half of the copies sold have been since they reunited back in the mid 90's. If you look at their tour dates, they sell out all across the US and Canada. Not sure how they do overseas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home