Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Most unique oper-air Stones venues ever
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:07

Best place I've ever seen them was Waldbuhne a few weeks ago. Top notch sound and the amphitheater setting makes you feel close wherever you are.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:13

Nikkei
i must admit that i envy you for both paradiso experiences. also the term "my ongoing Stones-Tour (1999-and counting)" is very nice. spot-on. was it your first time at waldbühne?
Says the MAN who was at Waldbuhne 1965!!! Great! Yes it was my first time at Waldbuhne I was only 1 year old in 1965!!! (and 18 when my Stones Tour started in 1982, not 1999).
Great you are still ROLLING STONED and was at Hydepark in 1969 and/or 2013!!!?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:16

This would have been pretty unique - Cardiff Castle 1973 - but the local council pulled the plug on it and Pembroke Castle 100 miles away at the last minute.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 21:20 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:43

OutOfTime
Nikkei
i must admit that i envy you for both paradiso experiences. also the term "my ongoing Stones-Tour (1999-and counting)" is very nice. spot-on. was it your first time at waldbühne?
Says the MAN who was at Waldbuhne 1965!!! Great! Yes it was my first time at Waldbuhne I was only 1 year old in 1965!!! (and 18 when my Stones Tour started in 1982, not 1999).
Great you are still ROLLING STONED and was at Hydepark in 1969 and/or 2013!!!?
blimey, you please have to edit your post. i edited mine, it shouldn't have come off as if i was there in 1965! as a german, i find great satisfaction in the fact that waldbühne was built by nazis and destroyed by stonesfans. that's what i call cathartic. what an amazing and unique history/hystery!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 22:04 by Nikkei.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:45

The parking lot of the main sponsor VW in Wolfburg, Germany, 1995: 90.000 people

Date: June 24, 2014 21:48

and i am almost completely sure there is no person alive who was at both waldbühne'65 and hydepark'69. probably there never was (lest the stones themselves). MY first show was in 1999 and i'm merely 25years old =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 22:07 by Nikkei.

Date: June 24, 2014 23:16

TooTough
The parking lot of the main sponsor VW in Wolfburg, Germany, 1995: 90.000 people
unique indeed!

Posted by: Vandefruits ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:18

My two most memorable venues were Hyde Park #3 and Vredenburg and I agree that that night at the Museumplein was great as well but I preferred getting into Paradiso which I wasn't able to get

And then not talking about concerts but "private meetings" it was my diner with Keith and Ronnie at the Hotel de l'Europe in Amsterdam getting my Black'n'Blue album signed after we had all finished our dessert and that night with Bob, Ronnie, Van, George and Chrissie in that intimate bar of that Hotel on High St Ken next to Holland Pk until 3AM in the morning sharing the urinoirs with Ronnie and him asking me how things were, because he saw me being speechless not knowing what to say during that somewhat embarrassing encounter...

Now those are fun memories anyway years later...

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 24, 2014 23:40

Vandefruits
My two most memorable venues were Hyde Park #3 and Vredenburg and I agree that that night at the Museumplein was great as well but I preferred getting into Paradiso which I wasn't able to get

And then not talking about concerts but "private meetings" it was my diner with Keith and Ronnie at the Hotel de l'Europe in Amsterdam getting my Black'n'Blue album signed after we had all finished our dessert and that night with Bob, Ronnie, Van, George and Chrissie in that intimate bar of that Hotel on High St Ken next to Holland Pk until 3AM in the morning sharing the urinoirs with Ronnie and him asking me how things were, because he saw me being speechless not knowing what to say during that somewhat embarrassing encounter...

Great Story!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:21

I've only seen the Stones outdoors once in Europe, at Slane Castle. Between the Castle up on the right and the mud up to my ankles, that was a pretty unique open-air venue in my book.

Posted by: longhorn14 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:12

For "cool" factor, I'd have to say the Zilker Park gig in Austin was magical. The park, while being flanked on one side by water and the other by the Austin skyline. I attended that show, bought the DVD. Perfect weather, beautiful show.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 25, 2014 03:33

marquess
Vandefruits

Ya, good story.

Great Story!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 25, 2014 04:48

A bull fighting arena (Plaza de Toros Monumental) always seemed to me to be somewhat unique.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: June 25, 2014 05:38

Manning Bowl, Lynn, MA - opening night of the '66 U.S. tour.

Unique because Lynn, Lynn is the city of sin..

OK, at least CindyC will get it.

Seriously - it's an old mill town about 15 miles north of Boston. The Manning Bowl was basically a glorified old high school football stadium. Granted, they probably played a dozen of those types of places on their first couple of American tours, but as an Eastern Mass. native, it just blows my mind that they played in the armpit that is Lynn.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 25, 2014 11:35

OutOfTime
Remember another unique open-air Stones event was "The Museumplein" in Amsterdam 1995, the second Paradiso clubshow was directly screenend on a big screen at this square. I was there, but can't remember exactly how many people also. A lot, some 10.000 or so just watching the screen, listening and even singing along!

...Good point! I was there, too - there was talks (in the media etc. afterwards) about it being "tens of thousands" of people in that square that night... It sure seemed like a whole lot to me!

And yup; what a setlist... Killer gig, too! Would love to see an official audio/video-recoding of it being released; would have loved to pay an arm & leg for admittance inside... smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 25, 2014 12:11

EddieByword
Knebworth....huge natural ampitheatre

Roundhay Park in Leeds offerred a litle of that vibe too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 25, 2014 12:33

JuanTCB

Seriously - it's an old mill town about 15 miles north of Boston. The Manning Bowl was basically a glorified old high school football stadium. Granted, they probably played a dozen of those types of places on their first couple of American tours, but as an Eastern Mass. native, it just blows my mind that they played in the armpit that is Lynn.

So, Knebworth and Roundhay park are natural ampitheatres and Lynn an unatural armpitheatre?...............cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-25 12:35 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 25, 2014 19:55

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 25, 2014 21:31

JuanTCB

Lynn, Lynn the city of sin. You don't come out the way you went in. Right? I grew up in Acton, MA.

Although I wasn't born in time to catch the Stones in '66, I did see the Beach Boys at the Manning Bowl in the early/mid-80's with the Stompers opening (now THERE'S an E. Mass. reference for those of us old enough to remember them in the clubs around Boston).

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home