Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones' stage gimmicks for each specific tour
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 15, 2014 16:40

Gimmicks as regular, sort of rehearsed moves, sayings, interactings with the audiences, not as artefacts and objects...

They are quite a lot, I guess –Hard to remember

- "I got a button of my trousers, etc" - I think it was said more than one time in 1969

- Keith hitting Chuck’s keyboard with his foot at the end of Chuck’s solo on HTW (1989- ?)

- Chuck hitting his keyboard with his foot at the end of his solo on HTW (2007 – 2014)

- Mick joking about the World Cup Final (England versus... the country where the show takes place) (2014)

- "It's good to be here, etc". Keith 20th century- 21st century

- Mick saying they would play a song of local artist as the web choice (Scorpions in Germany, and Johnny Hallyday in France - 2014)

Re: Stones' stage gimmicks for each specific tour
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 15, 2014 16:55

Lisa and Keith exchanging phony smiles and looks during GS (when Lisa hits the catwalk). 2012-2014. I think that in all shows.

Charlie refusing to get to the front of the stage to be introduced, but comes anyway (20-21st century?)

Keith and Ronnie walking to the catwalk during MY, then walking back – so that the people whom are not FOS can have a close look at them (Saw it in all shows I attended in 2013-14).

Date: June 15, 2014 17:17

I like the idea of various members of the band hitting Chuck's keyboard with their respective feet.

Now,if only Taylor would give it a try,we might be rid of the god forsaken thing once and for all.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2014 17:24

1972-73 sharing the mike during Happy

1975's inflatable phallus

The inflatable girls during HTW (that was for several tours, no?).

Micks 'football attire' in 1981, modified for European audiences in 1982

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 20:55

Wroclaw
Lisa and Keith exchanging phony smiles and looks during GS (when Lisa hits the catwalk). 2012-2014. I think that in all shows.

Are they not fans of each other then?

Date: June 15, 2014 21:22

brownsugar86
Wroclaw

Are they not fans of each other then?

I'm a fan of my wife but I no longer exchange eye contacts with her at each and every gig... if you would do that your wife would think you are cheating on her. Or that you are a "vegas husband". Really... airline cabin crue are less predictable in their pre take off life vest gig, then the 2nd to 3rd minutes of GS...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-15 21:26 by Wroclaw.

Date: June 15, 2014 22:10

GS is the only song when Lisa can move and walk on the stage... This said, I find the kiss-thing boring too.

Date: June 15, 2014 22:21

The Joker
GS is the only song when Lisa can move and walk on the stage... This said, I find the kiss-thing boring too.

she usually moves during YCAGWYW as well. Anyway... GS is well staged, like MY. Both are also catwalk orientedd, sideman (Lisa/Daryl) spotlight chance etc. Offcourse it is great for 1st timers. IORRians are the minority.

Date: June 16, 2014 03:06

Jagger slapping the stage w/ belt during MR. - started as far back as Hyde Park, I think.
SFTD has always gotten various special treatments - Hyde Park the dancers and percussionists.
In 75 it was encore, often with guests. I think it also featured the girls of the opening acts parading by.
In 89 Jagger took the elevator, in 94 he put on a black top-hat, in 06 he put on a Gorilla coat. In all the versions since 89 the song was castrated by pre-recorded percussion tracks.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 16, 2014 03:31

I suppose the band intros might qualify, as it seems to be a showbizzy remnant of the Olde-Tyme Worlde of live performance. How many bands nowadays bring the show to a halt halfway through to introduce the band members and the etceteras? The band intros always amused me, because, really, do they require an introduction? Besides, in the time it takes to do the band intros, they could have performed another song. They should drop the band intros segment and fill it by performing a different song each night in its place, one they've never performed before.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: June 16, 2014 03:55

Sorry but all Stones shows seem to me to have become boring and routine after 1981.

Date: June 16, 2014 03:57

Would the animation clips shown during the solos in HTW count as gimmicks? They started as far back as 2002, to my knowledge.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: June 16, 2014 04:36

Mick tossing water from a bucket on the audience in '72

Mick swinging on a rope over the audience in '75

Mick on the cherry picker in '81

Date: June 16, 2014 06:02

Mick swinging his jackets back and forth during songs before deciding to throw it behind him. I remember him doing this at the show I saw in 2013.
This goes as far back as 1965, skip to 1:53 to see it...

Date: June 16, 2014 11:33

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Mick swinging his jackets back and forth during songs before deciding to throw it behind him. I remember him doing this at the show I saw in 2013.
This goes as far back as 1965, skip to 1:53 to see it...

Except when the jacket happens to belong to Keith - then he does throw it into the crowd. making Keith very angry, LOL

Date: June 16, 2014 11:52

Mick stripped by Billy on the bridge (1976)

Mick securing the microphone under the belt, penis-like (2014), so he can move at ease (2014)

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: June 16, 2014 12:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 01:38 by Plink.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 16, 2014 12:44

Ronnie introducing Mick on the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 16, 2014 13:36

stonehearted
the band intros always amused me, because, really, do they require an introduction? Besides, in the time it takes to do the band intros, they could have performed another song. They should drop the band intros segment and fill it by performing a different song each night in its place, one they've never performed before.
i thought about that too. why don't they rehearse 2120SMA and introduce themselves while playing it?

Date: June 16, 2014 13:41

Mick swirling, snake-alike scarf (1969)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2014 13:45

Playing a carved in stone setlist with one not so rarity, for a king's ransom.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: June 16, 2014 17:00

24FPS
Playing a carved in stone setlist with one not so rarity, for a king's ransom.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 16, 2014 17:08

The cherry picker - pure Vegas.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 16, 2014 17:38

The "Charlie, Charlie" chants during VL tour,
often accompanied by Pierre backstage on the screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-16 17:39 by TooTough.

Date: June 16, 2014 17:43

Throwing flower (rose?) petals at the end of SFM (1971/72)

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 16, 2014 17:45

Keith playing a "solo" on Chuck´s Piano and kicking it at the midle of Honky Tonk Women in Bridges To Babylon Tour..

Mick´s running on Brown Sugar from one arm to the stage to the other in Bridges tour also.

Date: June 16, 2014 18:03

Mick licking Lisa's toes on Monkey Man (1995)

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 16, 2014 18:09

- Blowing up dolls (SW: the honky tonk women, the streetfighting dogs. VL: the voodoo things for Sympathy and MM). And of course moving the women's hands suggestively and hitting the dog with a stick in certain places.

- Using red lighting only for Sympathy (since I think 2003 or 2005). Having flames up after the "pleased to meet you"-line (2003).

- Mick forgetting what album Rocks Off is from (VL/Licks).

- Keith walking both wings only once: the right wing during Sympathy, the left wing during Satisfaction (I think), 2013/2014.

- Keith throwing away a cig before his set (2002/3) and before saying "it's good to be here it's good to be anywhere" (since 1999 or so).

- Showing old footage on screen during an old song (2012/2013).

- The YCAGWYW choir (since 2012).

- Keith doing two fast songs instead of his later one slow, one fast (1989/1990 and some 2007 shows).

- Keith doing his fast song first (1994).

- A bridge to the b-stage (1997-9), walking to the b-stage (2002/3), having a moving b-stage (2005-7), having a circular catwalk (2012/3), having a straight catwalk with a plaform at the end (2013/4).

- Mick wanting to kick a bottle of water into the audience, most of the time clumsily kicking it the wrong way.

- "Turn the lights on Patrick" (since 2012, I think).

- Claiming Like A Rolling Stone was written for the Stones or other not entirely true explanations (1997-2003).

- Keith having a moustache to cover up bad playing (some shows 2007).

- Having a 'by internet request' song (1997 and 2013-4).

Please correct me on years!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 16, 2014 18:51

They showed old footage on the screem during 81/82 tour - when they played Time is on my Side

Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: June 16, 2014 19:23

The Joker
Mick licking Lisa's toes on Monkey Man (1995)

on Miss You '98

-----------------------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home