Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

British "Rolling Stone"?
Posted by: bluegreenvinyl ()
Date: June 12, 2014 18:57

New here and had a question. Did the "British" Version of Rolling Stone, to be published by Mick Jagger, ever happen. Here is Jann Wenner with Mick signing the contract in 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-12 18:58 by bluegreenvinyl.

Re: British "Rolling Stone"?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 12, 2014 22:21

I've found this via wikipedia, though there's no mention of Mick's involvement with it. Maybe somebody from UK can tell us more about it.

"Friends magazine was launched in London in winter 1969 as a direct result of the closure by its US parent of the short-lived UK edition of Rolling Stone.

The magazine was first published by Alan Marcuson in December 1969 as Friends of Rolling Stone. It was later retitled Friends and, from May 1971, Frendz. Friends was intimately connected with UK underground media such as Oz, International Times (IT) and Time Out, and had many contributors who were part of the London counterculture or avant-garde scene in the 1960s. These included Barney Bubbles, Pennie Smith and Charles Radcliffe.

The magazine ceased publication in August 1972."

[www.ibiblio.org]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 13, 2014 00:13

Cristiano Radtke
I've found this via wikipedia, though there's no mention of Mick's involvement with it. Maybe somebody from UK can tell us more about it.

"Friends magazine was launched in London in winter 1969 as a direct result of the closure by its US parent of the short-lived UK edition of Rolling Stone.

The magazine was first published by Alan Marcuson in December 1969 as Friends of Rolling Stone. It was later retitled Friends and, from May 1971, Frendz. Friends was intimately connected with UK underground media such as Oz, International Times (IT) and Time Out, and had many contributors who were part of the London counterculture or avant-garde scene in the 1960s. These included Barney Bubbles, Pennie Smith and Charles Radcliffe.

The magazine ceased publication in August 1972."

[www.ibiblio.org]

In Prince Rupert's book he talks about the attempts made for the Stones to get a lone to fund Rolling Stone as a joint JW stones venture but RLs bank did not consider MJ loan worthy .....

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:42

In the 70s, and early 80s there was definitely a UK published version of Rolling Stone. I strongly suspect that The Rolling Stones had nothing at all to do with it.

It was based on the USA version. It had some UK only articles, and did not carry all of the USA articles, and (I seem to recall) was shorter/lighter than the USA version.

I had a subscription for about 10 years, but gave up when the original mix of music and interest in radical politics was replaced by the start of the celebrity cult, and music seemed to take a second place.

I swapped my collection with a fellow collector for some other stuff.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 13, 2014 02:35

I'm almost sure that this pic probably was posted here before, but since it fits perfectly on this thread, I think it's worth to repost it. I've found it on this website.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 12, 2014 10:01

Cristiano Radtke
I'm almost sure that this pic probably was posted here before, but since it fits perfectly on this thread, I think it's worth to repost it. I've found it on this website.

Cristiano -- I'd never seen this! I'm supposing it was meant tongue-in-cheek?

- swiss

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 12, 2014 18:27

Hahaha, that is hilarious! >grinning smiley<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home