Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 30, 2005 17:09

Where would they be if not for the plane crash? I think they were growing musically at that time. Heard they were great at Knebworth. Only 2 originals (Billy and Gary) are left. Arguably the best American band after CCR.

Re: OT: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: May 30, 2005 17:15

there is a great DVD (DVDr9) which has been released on Lynyrd.
the first part shows them playing at Knebworth in august 76...about 1 hour I think and in excellent quality.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 30, 2005 17:49

A tremendous band that tragically ended in 1977. A most deserving band for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. The guys who parade around now as LS....it's really sad.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 30, 2005 17:53

"The guys who parade around now as LS....it's really sad. "

Aw, they're not that bad. Only two original members left alive. Three if you count the Medlocke guy from Blackfoot who was their drummer prior to their having any kind of record deal. Granted they aren't the rip-snortin' house afire they used to be. Reminds me of another band we all know and love...

Date: May 30, 2005 17:56

Johnny doesn't quite have the voice or emotion that Ronnie had. Medlocke is a good guitar player (very fast) but he's no Allen Collins. I was lucky enough to see them twice in 1976. Also, several times since they re-formed the band.

BTW, wouldn't Billy Powell be a good choice for the Stones keyboard slot?

Date: May 30, 2005 18:02

I'm not saying the current lineup is a bad band; not at all. I'm just saying they are not the real LS without Ronnie Van Sandt, Steve Gaines, Gary Rossington, etc. It's like the Temptations without Ruffin and Kendricks.....they don't exisit. As long as the Stones have Watts, Richards and Jagger they retain their credibility. Oh why, oh why did Wyman have to leave?

Date: May 30, 2005 18:07

Gary is still in the band.

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: May 30, 2005 18:14

I saw them in Paris le Zénith 2 or 3 years ago...
I recognized Gary Rossington.

Date: May 30, 2005 19:26

My apologies......I was confusing Rossington with Allen.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: May 30, 2005 19:51

I saw them in 1990 at their German Tour! They sucked really! They played the gig with an backstage guitar player, just to create that 'our band is one familiy feeeling'. Bullshit....!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 30, 2005 20:03

All their hits sound interchangeable. Everytime I hear them on the radio I have to wait for the chorus to know which one it is. "Ooh ooh that smell..gimme three steps baby..back my bullets..." But they are classics in the south it's true. That jam at the end of "Freebird". I mean where I live now it's the punchline for jokes.
I saw American Idol in the final a week ago and there was Lynard Skynnard as family entertainment with the Idols. It was sad among balloons and stuff. I used to hang out with one of their drummers. Can not even recall his name. He was SUCH a WHINER! "In Skynnard we used to do it this way and that way..."

Date: May 30, 2005 21:54

You must be listening to a different band than me.

Date: May 31, 2005 14:49

Elmo, I hear them ALL THE TIME! LOL I can not get away from them. But please: take 4-5 of their supposed "fast" songs and sing either one of them on top of each other.
Believe me: I respect these guys. But where I live they have been elevated beyond Gods. I mean that planecrash...the history of mankind has been divided into two eras: befor and after planecrash! Van Zandt walked on water.
But I know some of these guys. They always cry about the fact that they can not do all the dope that they used to do.

Date: May 31, 2005 15:11

Yeah, as a resident of south Georgia, I agree that Van Zandt has joined the southern trinity with Elvis and Earnhart!!!! I'm am also truly burned out on Free Bird, Three Steps, Sweet Home, etc,, but like the Stones, they have a deep and wide catalog.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 31, 2005 15:20

Free Bird live is one of the best weaving guitars i have ever heard!!!!!
AWESOME!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 31, 2005 15:25

I think ChelseaDrugstore is a person with (in my ears) odd musical taste,
he use to put down much good ol´ rock'n'roll, and seems to prefer disco & stuff.
.....But the world is a colourful place to be in with all these directions under the Stones roof.

Myself I hated disco in the 70´s, despised it thru the 80´s & today
I havent changed my mind. Sad for me, but nevertheless a fact.

The world is full of RnR, blues & soul yet to be heard.

...But I have to admit I didnt fancy the latest Lynyrd-album.
But its useless question their classical early albums (pre-plane crash).

Date: May 31, 2005 21:46

CD, you claim to hang out with the guys, but can't even recall their names!!!???!!! Are you in the Jacksonville area or in dreamland?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 31, 2005 22:03

Good band - even great back in the day. I wouldn't put them #2 behind CCR, though. Dead and Allmans are well ahead of them there.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 31, 2005 22:31

T&A - I saw them open for the Marshall Tucker Band back in the 70's, and although
they were really good that night (original lineup from the 1st album)

Toy Caldwell blew all three of those Guitarist's off the stage in my opinion!!!

Toy was something else with his lighting-thumb picking style, on that 1950's
vintage Les Paul!!!!! man do I miss him!!! MLC

Date: June 1, 2005 15:00

Yeah, Toy was great. I even wrote a song about him. MCDDTLC, if you'll e-mail me, I'll send you a copy.

sbking@sowega.net

Date: June 1, 2005 16:40

Hi elmo, are you in Southern USA? Cool. I am down here too right now. And no, most definetly not in Jaxonville. Spent a year there once and ...uygh. Write me off the board; maybe we could hook up

As far a s 'claiming" anything...I don't 'claim" anything. Either I dos or I donts. I don't make it a point to remember names of people that don't interest me. There was a drummer ...Burns something.
Elmo ; between Jaxonville and dreamland, where would you rather hang out?

Date: June 1, 2005 16:48

Dreamland sounds good. I'm in south Georgia. Graduated high school in 1978 (the week Some Girls came out). Experienced the Southern rock thing and liked most of it. Burned out on some of the songs, but I could say the same about some Stones, Zep, Boss, etc.. I'll be in touch.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 1, 2005 18:24

A review of "Modern" LS here in VA said it all...

"Lynyrd Skynyrd sounds more like a cover-band these days than the genuine article....granted a REALLY GOOD ONE, but still a cover-band"

hey...if people wanna see it, why not?

my only beef w/ them is selling "Sweet Home Alabama" to Kentucky Fried Chicken commercials....

ugh.

still better than Perry Farrell selling Jane's Addiction songs to shit-box Coors beer though....

Date: June 2, 2005 08:14

What I always find interesting is that nowadays the tune appears often at big TV shows,right? Like family viewing kind of stuff. Like on American Idol e.g. And I always wonder how they're going to hide the "Neil Young" line this time.

Date: June 2, 2005 12:23

To the uninitiated, I'm quite sure the Stones' songs all sound alike. It's just The Stones' songs are all really good. That is, up until SMU; then it's open the cesspit, here we come!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: June 2, 2005 14:56

All songs fropm Skynyrd sound the same ; CCR # 1 , woow what's going on ??
listen to CCR live in europe a double LP with 25 songs all sounding the same ; premonition from fogerty solo is much better.

Grand Funk was much better than any other american band.
Ozark Mountain Daredevils topped even GFR
And what about MC5 ??

Are you wanna be part of the solution or part of the problem ??
Kick out the jams moddarfokkuhs!!

Schuine
I hated disco since the 70's but bought the maxi single Miss You on pink vinyl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2368
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home