Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Shine A Light
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2014 18:43

Aquamarine
Yes, I know, it's just that I've never been convinced that "Berber" was what he was singing (there's something about it that just doesn't sound right), even though I can't provide an alternative! Pointless observation on my part, I admit it. grinning smiley

A compelling observation

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2014 18:46

I don't think you can overrate this song. One of the best in their entire catalogue and possibly the best on EOMS.

Funny because whenever I think of the album, I think of the obvious numbers, Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice, Happy, All Down The Line, Sweet Virginia, Rip This Joint (kind of reads like a greatest hits album), but somehow Shine A Light tops them all.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:24

bitusa2012
This, and Let it Loose, amongst the very VERY best EOMS songs. And certainly up there in the band's 'ballad' catalog.

Just beautifully, AND strangely (for the Stones) constructed songs IMHO. Love the acoustic guitar and Charlie's just brilliant drumming - his timing in this is simply incomparable.
good observation. Clearly the two Micks are experimenting with song form. Taylor is irreverent when it comes to rock 'n' roll, He was all about spontaneity and free expression in his time with the band. Now many of us are becoming aware that his contributions on stage had a creative counterpart in the studio, clearly the tensions between he and Keith were beyond him blowing Richards away at concerts but included great tracks such as MM and Winter that Richards did not play on. "Shine" is proof that EOM is as much Taylor's record as any of the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 20:27 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 28, 2014 20:46

kleermaker
kowalski
Great live version from Stripped :

Such a poor version. But maybe someone would put Ronnie's solo in the thread Greatest Ron Wood solos. angry smiley
Cheap shot. This is a great performance from all..

Date: May 28, 2014 20:50

Kleerie, don't slide over in obsession-land. The Stripped version is very good, imo.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 28, 2014 22:50

DoomandGloom
bitusa2012
This, and Let it Loose, amongst the very VERY best EOMS songs. And certainly up there in the band's 'ballad' catalog.

Just beautifully, AND strangely (for the Stones) constructed songs IMHO. Love the acoustic guitar and Charlie's just brilliant drumming - his timing in this is simply incomparable.
good observation. Clearly the two Micks are experimenting with song form. Taylor is irreverent when it comes to rock 'n' roll, He was all about spontaneity and free expression in his time with the band. Now many of us are becoming aware that his contributions on stage had a creative counterpart in the studio, clearly the tensions between he and Keith were beyond him blowing Richards away at concerts but included great tracks such as MM and Winter that Richards did not play on. "Shine" is proof that EOM is as much Taylor's record as any of the Rolling Stones.

Well, if you listen to the first outtakes, the song was there well before MT joined the band. MT's solo is, of course, great, but so is the whole final arrangement.

C

p.s. Am I the only one who likes the SAL version of SAL?

Date: May 29, 2014 02:05

DoomandGloom
bitusa2012

Really? He plays a good solo (and probably bass) on it, but had nothing to do with creating this song. Are you exaggerating a little here, perhaps?

Blowing Keith away? How is that even possible for anyone? confused smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 29, 2014 03:32

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
bitusa2012

Really? He plays a good solo and (probably) bass on it, but had nothing to do with creating this song. Are you exaggerating a little here, perhaps?

He certainly had something to do with shaping the song.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 29, 2014 11:52

Superb song and recording, of course!

What some still seem to be missing is that the available early version is NOT by the Stones, but by Leon Russell with Mick Jagger:

It was released as a bonus track on the DCC gold-CD of Russell´s self-titled 1970 album.
Recorded at Olympic, Sep/Oct 1969, according to the booklet. It´s titled (Can´t Seem To) Get A Line On You on the cover, and Shine A Light on the actual CD.
Also credited as composed by Leon Russell...

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 29, 2014 21:49

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
I'm kleerly aware of the latter.

Maybe you have a little problem with the fact that only the two Micks play on this one as RS members and not your idol Keith, and that the younger Mick also plays great bass here, besides fantastic guitar.

Common guys, relax. The Stones can sound like the Stones, even without 3 original members. Taylor plays beautiful melodic fills throughout the song, 2 tailor made solos, and bass on this track. Jagger is amazing here, just like the session players.

Date: May 29, 2014 22:06

It's absolutely fantastic, no matter who plays on it.

But this song goes way back, kleerie.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 30, 2014 00:13

DandelionPowderman

How far back?

Date: May 30, 2014 00:23

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

How far back?

The garageband version.winking smiley

Date: May 30, 2014 00:31

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

How far back?

You should know...

Date: May 30, 2014 00:36

DandelionPowderman

You should know...

I don't.

Does it pre-date Michael Kevin Taylor playing with The Rolling Stones on 31st May 1969?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-30 00:39 by His Majesty.

Date: May 30, 2014 00:50

Yes, judging the guitarist...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 30, 2014 16:17

Great gospel-like stuff. One of the tracks whose studio version I prefer. Nice melody line with a good rhythm section by BW and Jimmy Miller on drums I think.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:05

The outtake version without the background vocals as to be found on Youtube is terrific! It proves what a great song this is. Had they played it during the Tour of Europe 1973 it would have been on of the many highlights of the show!

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 2, 2014 19:33

One of my favourite songs

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 2, 2014 20:14

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Shine A Light
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, July 23, 1970, Sunset Sound Studios,
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, December 4 - 19, 1971 & January -
March 1972 and Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles, California, US, March 24 & 25, 1972

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Mick Taylor - electric guitar, bass
Jimmy Miller - drums
Billy Preston - piano, organ
Clydie King - backing vocals
Venetta Fields - backing vocals
Jesse Kirkland - backing vocals
Joe Green - backing vocals

Saw you stretched out in Room Ten O Nine
With a smile on your face and a tear right in your eye
Oh, couldn't seem to get a line on you, my sweet honey love
Berber jewelry jangling down the street
Making bloodshot eyes at ev'ry woman that you meet
Could not seem to get high on you, my sweet honey love

May the good Lord shine a light on you, make every song your favorite tune
May the good Lord shine a light on you, warm like the evening sun

Well, you're drunk in the alley, baby, with your clothes all torn
And your late night friends leave you in the cold grey dawn
Oh, just seemed too many flies on you, I just can't brush them off
Angels beating all their wings in time
With smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes
Oh, thought I heard one sigh for you
Come on up now, come on up now, come on up now

May the good Lord shine a light on you, make every song you sing your favorite tune
May the good Lord shine a light on you, yeah, warm like the evening sun

Come on up now, come on up now, come on up now

May the good Lord shine a light on you, make every song you sing your favorite tune
May the good Lord shine a light on you, warm like the evening sun

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Exile On Main Street” 2LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 69100) UK, May 12, 1972

What a nice Thread!

This is one of my ver very personal Stones songs.
My story with it:
I really lost it through the late 70ies and 80ies.
But then 1995 I was sitting first row in the balcony in the "Olympia".
And it really hit me when Mick sang the opening lines.
And the band played a wonderful hot version of it.
They shot this song back in my system.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 3, 2014 00:38

I was playing the stripped cd in the car after visiting my wife, who is in hospital after some major surgery on Sunday evening and when SAL started to play I thought this is for you. My wife had been so brave after waiting over 24 hours for her operation and when the time came she just said lets get it done and over with.

It would appeal more for her as being quite religious and the shine a light verse I think would appeal to her.

Me personally think its a great song and was chuffed when they played it on the Thursday 02 gig on the bigger bang tour.

Date: June 3, 2014 00:49

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

You should know...

I don't.

Does it pre-date Michael Kevin Taylor playing with The Rolling Stones on 31st May 1969?

It sure does. Supposedly, Mick started writing it (about Brian) in 1968. The first Get A line on you-version was recorded in March 1968. Second take in March 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 00:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 3, 2014 00:55

This post only to tell that "Shine a Light" years back developed past earlier impressions of greatest album song in my estimation and has for long now been my favourite song on EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

I have no wish to knock the STRIPPED version, but to me it is obvious that that version cannot in any way be measured with the EXILE version.

Date: June 3, 2014 02:27

DandelionPowderman

It sure does. Supposedly, Mick started writing it (about Brian) in 1968. The first Get A line on you-version was recorded in March 1968. Second take in March 1969.

Supposedly is a bit dubious, unless one of the band has said something which dates it to 1968?

Can you post these March 1968 and March 1969 takes? Did you use keno.org for that info?

All of the versions posted so far are from no earlier than October 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-03 02:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 24, 2019 17:26

24FPS
Silver Dagger
Looking at Rene's line up of musicians I'm staggered that the two Micks are the only Rolling Stones on this track. I never knew that. Does that make it the Stones' song with the least members ever on it? I guess so.

'Play With Fire' only has Mick & Keith on it.

Doesn’t “Happy” only have Richards and Jagger? Regardless, I consider all three of those songs Stones classics.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 24, 2019 17:31

“Shine A Light” is an excellent song that sits perfectly on the track listing. I’ve heard two outtake versions, the one with Leon Russell where somebody plays slide (sounds like Richards or somebody other than Taylor). The other one sounds like an alternate take of the released version although it claims to be from 1970 at Olympic.

The alternate version has what sounds to be the same line-up as the released version, right? I read Billy Preston was in LA overdubbing his parts on Exile. Were the basics recorded at Olympic? Is the bass different on the alternate than the official? This could be where Taylor re-recorded bass in LA perhaps and Wyman just assumed it was his “old” part. Food for thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-24 17:33 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 24, 2019 19:41

TravelinMan
“Shine A Light” is an excellent song that sits perfectly on the track listing. I’ve heard two outtake versions, the one with Leon Russell where somebody plays slide (sounds like Richards or somebody other than Taylor). The other one sounds like an alternate take of the released version although it claims to be from 1970 at Olympic.

The alternate version has what sounds to be the same line-up as the released version, right? I read Billy Preston was in LA overdubbing his parts on Exile. Were the basics recorded at Olympic? Is the bass different on the alternate than the official? This could be where Taylor re-recorded bass in LA perhaps and Wyman just assumed it was his “old” part. Food for thought.

Same bass as the official.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home