Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Happy Birthday Bob Dylan
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 24, 2014 18:06

73 years old today, let's celebrate by posting your favourite Dylan song!

Girl from the North Country.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-24 18:07 by Bastion.

Re: OT: Happy Birthday Bob Dylan
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2014 19:11

A great song, and some nice guitar work from Bob:

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: May 24, 2014 19:15

Girl from the North Country is the best Dylan song, at least in my opinion. It's just a magic track, and I never get tired of it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2014 19:19

It's hard to choose only one Dylan album, let alone just one song. Anyway, this is one of my favorites:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2014 19:20

Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues again has always been a favourite...difficult to choose.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2014 20:13

Great version of my favourite Dylan song.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 24, 2014 20:17

Every Grain of Sand is my favourite, be it the one with the dog barking on Bootleg Series, the Shot of Love version, and Emmylou Harris' cover.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 24, 2014 20:29

Happy birthday you nasty little b...er, many happy returns!

Date: May 24, 2014 21:30

From a tribute to John Hammond, 1975.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 24, 2014 22:43

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 25, 2014 00:10

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 25, 2014 00:15

HB Mr. Dylan for Hard Rain- Version of Stuck Inside with the Memphis Blues Again will reign in my life forever!!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 25, 2014 00:24

A happy one for you Bob!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 25, 2014 01:01

71Tele

This is my favourite Bob Dylan song as well

Even better, I was at this show (Portsmouth 2000) and this was the first time I ever heard him play it (first time in the UK since 1966). Jaw dropping moment for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-25 01:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 25, 2014 01:27

....same day as mum .... Me, well I share the day with Woody Guthrie.....
............I guess there's something happening there but I dunno what it is

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 25, 2014 02:01

Also my daughter Rose's birthday. She was interviewed for the preshow video in NYC but alas fame denied.

Date: May 25, 2014 03:23

Gazza
71Tele

This is my favourite Bob Dylan song as well

Even better, I was at this show (Portsmouth 2000) and this was the first time I ever heard him play it (first time in the UK since 1966). Jaw dropping moment for sure.

That's great Gazza. I was going to post the Live 66 version, but found this one. I like Bob's acoustic licks in the intro.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 25, 2014 06:40

It's almost cruel when you are the coolest guy on the planet:

Date: May 25, 2014 09:05

pmk251

Interesting how Dylan started by copying Woody Guthrie, and Donovan started by copying Dylan. This is a fascinating scene. Dylan is wary of Donovan, but gives him the chance to show what he's got, which is basically 1962-vintage Dylan, then takes the guitar and shows him something completely new and astonishing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 25, 2014 10:53

This one is among my TOP 10 for sure:

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 25, 2014 11:11

Happy Birthday Bob and many more to come! I can't wait to see you on the road in July. And my favourite song...right now maybe Desolation Row. Or some other of course :-)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 25, 2014 11:38

71Tele
pmk251

Interesting how Dylan started by copying Woody Guthrie, and Donovan started by copying Dylan. This is a fascinating scene. Dylan is wary of Donovan, but gives him the chance to show what he's got, which is basically 1962-vintage Dylan, then takes the guitar and shows him something completely new and astonishing.

The line "the vagabond who's rapping at your door, is stand in the clothes that you once wore" - could well have been aimed at Donovan. Incredible scene. And instead of that New York City folk style of 61/62 Dylan is playing a chugga chugga rhythm more reminiscent of the Stones style. The folk scene has shifted and the hangers on are left grabbing the coat tails of the departed.

Date: May 26, 2014 02:00

<The line "the vagabond who's rapping at your door, is stand in the clothes that you once wore" - could well have been aimed at Donovan. Incredible scene. And instead of that New York City folk style of 61/62 Dylan is playing a chugga chugga rhythm more reminiscent of the Stones style. The folk scene has shifted and the hangers on are left grabbing the coat tails of the departed.>

Indeed. Nice comment.

Date: May 26, 2014 03:49

pmk251
<The line "the vagabond who's rapping at your door, is stand in the clothes that you once wore" - could well have been aimed at Donovan. Incredible scene. And instead of that New York City folk style of 61/62 Dylan is playing a chugga chugga rhythm more reminiscent of the Stones style. The folk scene has shifted and the hangers on are left grabbing the coat tails of the departed.>

Indeed. Nice comment.

Earlier in the film we see Joan Baez teasing Dylan by mimicing him singing "yonder stands your orphan with his gun". Dylan smiles knowlingly when he sings this line and is obviously directing it at someone in the room (Baez?).

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 26, 2014 04:24

It's All Over Now Baby Blue by Them in 1966....

....and 10 years later by the reunited original Animals.

Date: May 26, 2014 10:03

It was still better by Dylan, though!

Just in passing--although my favorite song ultimately has to be Isis, I think my favorite Dylan line is from VoJ, namely "The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face," which is understated genius. As I used to tell my students. grinning smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 26, 2014 12:30

Someone in the Stones' camp clearly had a fondness for Visions of Johanna 44 years ago. Check out the cover of Ya-Yas, where jewels (or at least costume jewelry) and binoculars do indeed hang from the head of the mule.

Date: May 26, 2014 22:18

Speaking of Bob and Van...well...throw in Mick Taylor too. A rough beginning but it catches a groove.

Date: May 27, 2014 02:42

Today is May 26 (still, here in the US), the 48th anniversary of my very first show, which was Dylan at the Albert Hall in 1966. I still remember so much about it, it was a shock to look at my program, where I'd written down the setlist, and to realize that I wasn't able to supply most of the titles of the Blonde on Blonde songs, because it was brand new (I think it had been out about a week) and I hadn't been able to buy it yet. It seems impossible that there was a time when those songs weren't hardwired into my DNA.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 27, 2014 02:54

Aquamarine
Today is May 26 (still, here in the US), the 48th anniversary of my very first show, which was Dylan at the Albert Hall in 1966.

Wow, what a sight that must have been!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home