Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Fan vote - Oslo
Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: May 25, 2014 17:04

Heartbreaker MEZ

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 25, 2014 17:12

Powerage
Heartbreaker with Mick Taylor !

You nailed it!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 25, 2014 17:18

DandelionPowderman
What's wrong with that version? Keith at his very best.

Its atmosphere doesn't do the song right. The tempo, the phrasing, the singing, just everything is wrong with this rendition. To be honest, when I listen to it, it makes me feel sad, while the studio version is great.

Maybe it's a big difference if one lived during the release of songs like that or if one heard them afterwards. You just can't imagine how it was to experience the first times songs like She's A Rainbow, LSTNT, JJF, let alone Satisfaction and PIB, came through the radio and in the Top 40, at the same time The Beatles brought out their great songs, and many others. I think our friend His M is one of the very few who is able to catch the mood of that special period in history.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2014 18:03

DoomandGloom
would they play HB without Taylor?

Unfortunately yes since they played "Live With Me" in Singapore without him...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 25, 2014 18:09

gotdablouse
DoomandGloom
would they play HB without Taylor?

Unfortunately yes since they played "Live With Me" in Singapore without him...

But LWM is not a typical Taylor-song. Heartbreaker is in the same league as Silver Train. I don't know if they did rehearse the song with him. Anyway, little chance they'll play it anyway.

Date: May 25, 2014 21:59

They have been playing Heartbreaker with Ronnie since 1975. Let them both play on it.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: May 25, 2014 22:15

DandelionPowderman
They need to speed up LSTNT a bit, imo.

Maybe Chuck could re-programme the metronome to the Still Life-tempo?

Was it so slow? Last time they played it 2006 it was very okay, I think.
You are one of very few others who heard a 2014 version grinning smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 25, 2014 22:49

LSTNT will "win" they rehearsed it a few times this week. I think all those votes ate rigged...smiling smiley

Date: May 25, 2014 22:52

Mr.D
LSTNT will "win" they rehearsed it a few times this week. I think all those votes ate rigged...smiling smiley

Absolutely.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 26, 2014 01:41

kleermaker

Maybe it's a big difference if one lived during the release of songs like that or if one heard them afterwards. You just can't imagine how it was to experience the first times songs like She's A Rainbow, LSTNT, JJF, let alone Satisfaction and PIB, came through the radio and in the Top 40, at the same time The Beatles brought out their great songs, and many others. I think our friend His M is one of the very few who is able to catch the mood of that special period in history.

We all hear things as brand new when we first hear them, but of course, for example, 1989 ears hearing 2000 Light Years From Home which are used to some aspects of the sounds and culture of 1989 and backwards will experience that first hearing differently to people experiencing 2000 Light Years From Home for the first time back in 1967.

Even virgin ears in 1989 will still have some absorption of 1989 which will affect how they hear something with distinctive characteristics from the past.

In 1967 it was a new-new experience, in 1989 it's new for a first time listener, but not culturally new as the track has probably influenced music to some degree before one has that 2000 Light Years From Home first listen.

I think, you can learn to hear music in context of the times though, but this is obviously a more considered listening experience and not the same as hearing a specific development from a band in the actual context of the times from which it is happening.

Of course, not everyone experienced the first listen the same back in 1967, but there is atleast a shared experience of it being in close proximity to the music being created and released for the first time.

The release of Jumpin' Jack Flash and it being played on the radio, reviewed in press etc and people going out to buy it in the shops is a fleeting moment that will never be repeated in quite the same way. You literally had to be there, but even though no two peoples experiences of those fleeting moments will be exactly the same, there is the shared experience of getting THAT particular release in the context of THAT particular time.

That's a long winded way of stating the obvious eh!? grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-26 02:03 by His Majesty.

Date: May 26, 2014 03:22

His Majesty
kleermaker

We all hear things as brand new when we first hear them, but of course, for example, 1989 ears hearing 2000 Light Years From Home which are used to some aspects of the sounds and culture of 1989 and backwards will experience that first hearing differently to people experiencing 2000 Light Years From Home for the first time back in 1967.

Even virgin ears in 1989 will still have some absorption of 1989 which will affect how they hear something with distinctive characteristics from the past.

In 1967 it was a new-new experience, in 1989 it's new for a first time listener, but not culturally new as the track has probably influenced music to some degree before one has that 2000 Light Years From Home first listen.

I think, you can learn to hear music in context of the times though, but this is obviously a more considered listening experience and not the same as hearing a specific development from a band in the actual context of the times from which it is happening.

Of course, not everyone experienced the first listen the same back in 1967, but there is atleast a shared experience of it being in close proximity to the music being created and released for the first time.

The release of Jumpin' Jack Flash and it being played on the radio, reviewed in press etc and people going out to buy it in the shops is a fleeting moment that will never be repeated in quite the same way. You literally had to be there, but even though no two peoples experiences of those fleeting moments will be exactly the same, there is the shared experience of getting THAT particular release in the context of THAT particular time.

That's a long winded way of stating the obvious eh!? grinning smiley

Yes it is, but it's exactly what I meant. The in-the-moment thrill could never be repeated later. So I think I still listen with other ears to all those songs that came into being when I was young and the time ghost was so very special and being reflected in the music.

Date: May 26, 2014 04:30

kleermaker
Mr.D

Absolutely.

Is there any doubt left now ?? They have rehearsed the song in the 'Fan Vote' slot in the set list 72 hours or so before the voting is supposed to close.

Not to mention the fact that "Let's Spend the Night Together" is the least appropriate selection among the songs in the voting list based on past concerts in Norway and the premise that they " look back " to past set lists in given cities to avoid repeating themselves with non-warhorses.

* When the Whip Comes Down ....... never played in concert in Norway .

* Imagination ...... never played in concert in Norway .

* Get Off of My Cloud ..... not played in concert in Norway since the 1960's - if it ever has even been played there at all.

* Live With Me ...... This was played there in 1995.

* Heartbreaker ..... Again,this was played in Norway in 1995 but not with Taylor,obviously.

* Let's Spend the Night Together .... Already played in Norway in 2006 and also 1998 as well.

So,if you had the job of rigging the fan vote,which one would you rule out first or even second ???? This takes 5 minutes of research .... if that.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 26, 2014 17:50

Heartbreaker would be my last choice among the listed options. I'd go with Get Off of My Cloud because it's the best song among the options that haven't played in Norway in ages, if at all.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 26, 2014 19:50

The Rolling Stones: "Thanks to all 90,000 who voted for the band to play their song choice tonight! Voting has closed and the setlist is ready!"

[Twitter.com]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home