Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: CSNY Live 1974 Box - finally out in July
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 5, 2014 23:42

Hound Dog
I can't believe the whole show is not included on DVD or Blu-Ray. I have a bootleg of this and its great.

The DVD also contains footage from Landover, Maryland. But yeah the fact that it'll be available as a common DVD only (and not as a HD bluray disc) is puzzling.

Maybe what they found is too poor to be deemed worth a BR?

"CSNY 1974 comes with a DVD containing footage shot at Maryland's Capital Center and London's Wembley Stadium.

Joel Bernstein: "I found footage from the Capital Center in Graham's Vault. I was very surprised to find it and I have no idea how it got there. They were the first venue in the US to feature an in-house life, real time video system that projected beams - which were too small by today's standards - to screens hung up near where the scoreboard is in today's arena. There was a director, but it was semi-pro at best. It was recorded to open reel, one-inch tape. It's a format that wasn't used for very long. The show they taped happened to be one they audio recorded.' Since the format was so archaic, it took a lot of work to get the footage together."

Nash: "The footage is funky and not lit right and sometimes it's too blue or too red, but I think that people would be very interested to see live footage of us from that time."

Bernstein: "The cameras had tubes in them and the tubes were shaking with the bass. You can see the picture vibrate with the bass. It's quite remarkable.

With the case of Wembley, we were using the MPSC [don't you mean NTSC? lol!] transfer from the original PAL Master. We have no idea where the master is."

[neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 11:30 by dcba.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:03

I can't believe the whole show is not included on DVD or Blue Ray. I have a bootleg of this and its great. Would be nice to have the whole thing cleaned up and released.

Date: July 6, 2014 06:11

Hound Dog
I can't believe the whole show is not included on DVD or Blue Ray. I have a bootleg of this and its great. Would be nice to have the whole thing cleaned up and released.

are you talking about the widely available wembley show? in the end this boxset really has nothing to do with that show

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:15

Last night on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Date: July 17, 2014 14:25

CSNY 1974 is set to be the group's first Top 10 album in 32 years, since CSN's "Daylight Again" debuted at No. 8 in 1982. The album is predicted to debut between Nos. 7-9 when the Billboard 200 is announced today (July 16).

Date: July 17, 2014 14:58

I finally got to watch the complete Wembley'74 video and it's rather easy to see why Neil wasn't too keen on seeing it released : Stills ans Crosby are totally wacked on cocaine, and they're pretty messed up. Stills is agitated and restless while Crosby has that silly "man it's good stuff" smile on his face during the whole show.

Young seems so disgusted that he sings his songs without ever looking at anyone onstage : when Stills tries to get a bit of eye communication from Young's he gets ignored.

At last the audio can hide the awful truth and the music is sublime. thumbs up

Date: September 8, 2014 16:13

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are suing D'Andrea Graphics Corp. for failing to fulfill 1,250 orders of a deluxe version of the new "CSNY 1974" box set, which were priced at $558 each. CSNY has already refunded fans' payments directly.

1,250 x $558 = $697,500.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 8, 2014 16:24

dcba
I finally got to watch the complete Wembley'74 video and it's rather easy to see why Neil wasn't too keen on seeing it released : Stills ans Crosby are totally wacked on cocaine, and they're pretty messed up. Stills is agitated and restless while Crosby has that silly "man it's good stuff" smile on his face during the whole show.

Young seems so disgusted that he sings his songs without ever looking at anyone onstage : when Stills tries to get a bit of eye communication from Young's he gets ignored.

Sure it's an intense experience but it doesn't make the video any less enjoyable.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:29

Silver Dagger
dcba

Sure it's an intense experience but it doesn't make the video any less enjoyable.

Apparently the Cocaine they were snorting was cut with other stuff and they were shoveling tons of the stuff in just to get a buzz. They all had nosebleeds before the show because of this.

It certainly is a great document of those crazy times. The playing is pretty good, the vocals are largely a mess and I agree about Stills and Crosby looking wired out of their minds.

Date: September 8, 2014 19:32

Silver Dagger
They were going to release the DVD from the entire Wembley gig - the show I saw. Shame there's no news aboutthat. At least there's the bootleg of that one.

wow, you were there?
What was your opinion of the show at the time? How was the sound etc?
I have the footage and love it, despite the show being flawed in many ways.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 8, 2014 19:56

OK vudicus. It was a long time again - 40 years and I was 17 and it was one of my first gigs. The whole day built up from Jesse Colin Young who delivered a fine set, The Band who were magnificent and fresh off the Dylan US tour. Joni was at her peak and was backed by Tom Scott and the LA Express.

Around 7pm CSNY hit the stage. Just as it was twilight was reeling. The sound started a bit echoey but the sound guys soon got the balance right. I recorded the whole show on a stereo cassette recorder and made a decent job of it but that recording is now redundant because of the far superior soundboard tape that goes with the DVD.

It was really exciting and there was an American West Coast vibe in the audience. Punk still seemed light years. Yeah, good memories of an epic day.

Date: September 8, 2014 20:09

Silver Dagger
OK vudicus. It was a long time again - 40 years and I was 17 and it was one of my first gigs. The whole day built up from Jesse Colin Young who delivered a fine set, The Band who were magnificent and fresh off the Dylan US tour. Joni was at her peak and was backed by Tom Scott and the LA Express.

Around 7pm CSNY hit the stage. Just as it was twilight was reeling. The sound started a bit echoey but the sound guys soon got the balance right. I recorded the whole show on a stereo cassette recorder and made a decent job of it but that recording is now redundant because of the far superior soundboard tape that goes with the DVD.

It was really exciting and there was an American West Coast vibe in the audience. Punk still seemed light years. Yeah, good memories of an epic day.

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Now I'm even more jealous!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 8, 2014 22:25

I saw the tour in Houston.

I waited 40 years for CSNY 1974.

I played it repeatedly when it came out a couple months ago.

I played it again last week and turned it off halfway through the first disc.

The singing is all coked up croaking. The playing lacks subtlety. The recordings are sonically inconsistent. It isn't an enjoyable listen.

I feel the same way about the Allman Brothers Fillmore '71 recordings.

Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: September 11, 2014 13:49

I listened to it again and mainly I liked it a lot.
The second CD "acoustic" is great.
The déjà vu version sounds good to my ears.

Date: September 11, 2014 14:36

rbk

I feel the same way about the Allman Brothers Fillmore '71 recordings.

This one's bloody great!

Date: October 10, 2014 16:42

Neil offhandedly told a concert audience in Philadelphia this week that CSNY will never tour again.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: October 12, 2014 17:19

Appears that Crosby's "purely poisonous predator" remark about Neil's new girlfriend has put the kibosh on any future CSNY shows.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-12 17:25 by tatters.

Date: October 12, 2014 18:39

Neil's with Darryl Hannah?
Expect about twenty new crappy acoustic love songs to be premiered at various Neil shows in 2014 going into 2015! grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-12 19:19 by dcba.

Posted by: tjkrol ()
Date: August 21, 2020 23:11

Would anybody have the following to post? Mentioned on page 1 by dcba. It would be greatly appreciated.

Artist: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Date: 1974-07-09
Venue: Seattle Center Coliseum
Source: Audience
Lineage: Master Reels @ full track mono>Tandberg Model 11>Wavelab 96/24 1ch mono>wav 44.1/16 2ch mono>flac
Taping Gear: Tandberg Model 11 R2R deck, Sony ECM-22P mic
Taped and Transferred By: JEMS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 23:12 by tjkrol.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1669
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home