Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: CSNY Live 1974 Box - finally out in July
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 22, 2014 18:08

I'll believe it whewn I see it but the long worked on 1974 live album is shortly due to see light of day.

Here's the story from Rolling Stone.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Live 1974 Box Set Out This Summer

"This is the most difficult project I've ever done in my recording life," says

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Joel Bernstein

By Andy Greene

May 22, 2014 8:50 AM ET

After years of rumors, premature announcements and even disagreements over what to call the thing, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young are finally ready to release a box set of live recordings from their 1974 reunion tour. CSNY 1974 hits shelves on July 8th in a variety of formats, including a 3 CD/DVD set, a Pure Audio Blu-Ray (192kHz/24-bit) and a 16-track single CD. Many of the sets will have a 188-page booklet, and there will also be a limited edition set of 1,000 copies featuring a coffee table-sized book and six 180-gram 12” vinyl records. A pre-order of CSNY 1974 will be available next week on the band's website.

David Crosby Talks New Solo Album, Hopes for CSNY Reunion Tour

The set was produced by Joel Bernstein and Graham Nash. "This is the most difficult project I've ever done in my recording life," Nash tells Rolling Stone. "That's largely because of other people's agendas and trying to please four people at the same time. It only took us a year to actually do the physical work, but it took three or four years to get that work together."

One issue they faced was Neil Young's intense focus on audio quality. "Neil Young, God bless his cotton socks, has always wanted the audio to get as close to the recording experience as possible," says Nash. "He wanted us to do it in 24/192, and that's what we did. Of course, that happened one-third of the way into the project, so we had to redo an awful lot of stuff. But it sounds totally amazing. There's 40 songs and they'll show people that we were a very, very decent rock band."

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's 1974 reunion trek was one of the most ambitious tours attempted up until that point. They played 30 shows at American arenas and stadiums as well as one gig at Wembley Stadium in London, with the group playing upwards of 40 songs over a four-hour period during some shows. "It was a very challenging tour," says Nash. "We tried to keep our spirits up and keep ourselves focused as a band, but with all the chaos going on and the distractions and the drugs, I'm amazed we got away with what we did, quite frankly."

Nine of the shows were professionally recorded on multi-track tapes. "We wanted the best performances of each song for this collection," says Nash. "So Joel and I listened to every single minute of the multi-track shows and chose the best. We'd take, say, the best performance of 'Almost Cut My Hair' and send it to David [Crosby] for his approval. We did the same with Stephen [Stills] and Neil." You can listen to an exclusive stream of "Almost Cut My Hair" below.

The bonus DVD features eight songs filmed at the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland and Wembley Stadium. "The Capital Center was the one place back then filming concerts," says Nash. "We didn't even know they were doing it. It's a little funky-looking because we didn't light it for film or television, but I picked eight songs I thought were very representative of how we were then."

The tour came at a time when Young was writing songs at a furious pace, and he often tried out new material on stage, playing some songs only a handful of times. CSNY 1974 preserves such rarities as "Love Art Blues," "Pushed It Over The End" and "Don't Be Denied." The rarest track is "Goodbye Dick," a song they played August 14th, 1974 at the Nassau Coliseum, just five days after President Richard Nixon resigned in disgrace.

"Another reason for the delay is that I kept finding stuff that I didn't want to take off," says Nash. "'Goodbye Dick' happened in about a minute and a half, and then it was gone. I came upon it and said, 'We've got to put this out.' It's tied so closely to the times of Watergate. When I heard Neil singing, 'Goodbye Dick' I just loved it."

Despite the fact it draws material from multiple nights, Nash and Bernstein structured it like a typical show from the tour. "I wanted people to experience the show," says Nash. "We wanted to give people a seat in the 10th row in the middle so they can sit back and enjoy the show. It starts with an electric set and then we did an acoustic set, sometimes with bass and drums and sometimes not, and then ended up with a kick-ass last electric set."

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young reunited to play last year's Bridge School Benefit, but they haven't toured since the summer of 2006. Might they hit the road again someday? "I know that when we sing with Neil we make great music together," says Nash. "That's the secret of it. It all comes down to the music. I also think we might be one of the original groups from back then that still has all the original members, so anything is possible in the future."

Here is the complete track listing for CSNY 1974.

3CD/ Bonus DVD OR Pure Audio Blu-Ray / Bonus DVD

Disc One – First Set

1. "Love The One You’re With"
2. "Wooden Ships"
3. "Immigration Man"
4. "Helpless"
5. "Carry Me"
6. "Johnny’s Garden"
7. "Traces"
8. "Grave Concern"
9. "On The Beach"
10. "Black Queen"
11. "Almost Cut My Hair"

Disc Two – Second Set

1. "Change Partners"
2. "The Lee Shore"
3. "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
4. "Our House"
5. "Fieldworker"
6. "Guinevere"
7. "Time After Time"
8. "Prison Song"
9. "Long May You Run"
10. "Goodbye Dick"
11. "Mellow My Mind"
12. "Old Man"
13. "Word Game"
14. "Myth Of Sisyphus"
15. "Blackbird"
16. "Love Art Blues"
17. "Hawaiian Sunrise"
18. "Teach Your Children"
19. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"

Disc Three – Third Set

1. "Déjà Vu"
2. "My Angel"
3. "Pre-Road Downs"
4. "Don’t Be Denied"
5. "Revolution Blues"
6. "Military Madness"
7. "Long Time Gone"
8. "Pushed It Over The End"
9. "Chicago"
10."Ohio"

Bonus DVD

1. "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
2. "Almost Cut My Hair"
3. "Grave Concern"
4. "Old Man"
5. "Johnny’s Garden"
6. "Our House"
7. "Déjà Vu"
8. "Pushed It Over The End"

Single CD Track Listing

1. "Love The One You're With"
2. "Wooden Ships"
3. "Immigration Man"
4. "Helpless"
5. "Johnny's Garden"
6. "The Lee Shore"
7. "Change Partners"
8. "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
9. "Our House"
10. "Guinevere"
11. "Old Man"
12. "Teach Your Children"
13. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
14. "Long Time Gone"
15. "Chicago"
16. "Ohio"

Starbucks Exclusive (US & Canada) Track Listing

1. "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
2. "Change Partners"
3. "The Lee Shore"
4. "Johnny’s Garden"
5. "Guinevere"
6. "Our House"
7. "Prison Song"
8. "Old Man"
9. "Blackbird"
10. "Hawaiian Sunrise"
11. "Teach Your Children"
12. "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: CSNY Live 1974 Box - finally out in July
Posted by: Des ()
Date: May 22, 2014 18:42

About Time and I hope it's worth what Neil hoped for. I saw the second now infamous night when Neil breaks ranks and chucks the set list early in the show the David C can't sing cause he got drunk with GN and they sang the CSNY repitour in one night, the croud gave him a very hard time justifyably.

And to this day opening with four guys on lead guitar slinging more testoserone than music with Love The One Your With, still the worst opener I have ever seen and part of the reason Neil tanked the set list.

I also have a DVD of one of the concerts with Joni Mitichel sitting in and the film and sound are terrible and believe it or not she ruined the mix, just not her place?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 22, 2014 18:45

I wonder how much that limited edition vinyl set will be?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 22, 2014 19:33

They were going to release the DVD from the entire Wembley gig - the show I saw. Shame there's no news aboutthat. At least there's the bootleg of that one.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 23, 2014 15:16

I love that cover photo by Joel Bernstein. Really captures the absurdity of trying to communicate intimate, personal, acoustic music in a football stadium.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-24 03:34 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2014 20:08

Please don't tell me they wiped Mick Taylor's rhythm guitar parts and overdubbed them.

Date: May 23, 2014 23:26

Silver Dagger
They were going to release the DVD from the entire Wembley gig - the show I saw. Shame there's no news aboutthat. At least there's the bootleg of that one.

i never heard that. i think the band considers that a horrible performance

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: May 24, 2014 02:19

No "CARRY ON" which was a show high point.

Date: May 24, 2014 03:29

71Tele
Please don't tell me they wiped Mick Taylor's rhythm guitar parts and overdubbed them.

All joking aside, I think I did hear some talk about them doing some "fixing" on this thing .... forty years on.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2014 05:27

tatters
71Tele

All joking aside, I think I did hear some talk about them doing some "fixing" on this thing .... forty years on.

I am sure they did!

Re: OT: CSNY Live 1974 Box - "so we had to redo an awful lot of stuff"
Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: May 24, 2014 09:50

i read: "so we had to redo an awful lot of stuff" does it mean re-record overdub ??

Decca61

Posted by: tomcat 6 ()
Date: May 24, 2014 10:35

I don't think they did any actual overdubs...I think they applied some autotune, I was at the Wembley gig and at the time it was great it will be good to see if it has aged well.

Date: May 24, 2014 15:55

tomcat 6
I don't think they did any actual overdubs...I think they applied some autotune, I was at the Wembley gig and at the time it was great it will be good to see if it has aged well.

I think you're right. This is from a Rolling Stone article from last year:

After years of work, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young are finally gearing up to release a live album from their 1974 reunion tour. "It's going to come out August 27th," Graham Nash tells Rolling Stone. "It's going to @#$%&' stun people. We only multi-tracked eight or nine shows from the tour, and we've chosen the best from those gigs. We've had to do a little tuning, but not that much . . . But the spirit of the band! If I take myself out the band and look at it, it was a @#$%&' great band."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-24 15:56 by tatters.

Date: June 8, 2014 02:54

The vinyl box set (six LPs) is US$499 and the least expensive method of shipping is just under US$70 (UPS Ground, six days).

Just over $83 a LP (before adding shipping). Too bad the limit is two boxes per customer, eh, latebloomer?

winking smiley

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: June 8, 2014 03:37

Reminds me of the over priced Brussels Vinyl Box I did not buy. Oh well at least this is affordable in Hi Rez Blu-ray audio.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 8, 2014 14:44

Wonder if there is any modern over dubs on this?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 8, 2014 19:00

Dime has this one for torrenting :

"Artist: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Date: 1974-07-09
Venue: Seattle Center Coliseum
Source: Audience
Lineage: Master Reels @ full track mono>Tandberg Model 11>Wavelab 96/24 1ch mono>wav 44.1/16 2ch mono>flac
Taping Gear: Tandberg Model 11 R2R deck, Sony ECM-22P mic
Taped and Transferred By: JEMS

Lineage Patch Source: 1st gen cassettes>Nakamichi 670>Wavelab 96/24>wav 44.1/16>flac
Taping Gear: Unknown directional stereo mics>Sony TC-126
Taped By: Dave Departee & Donn Amick
Transferred By: JEMS

Contrast Clause:
This differs from the following
[www.dimeadozen.org]
That is this but incomplete, this has the missing music patched in using a brand new alt source.

Band Members:
David Crosby - vocal, guitar
Stephen Stills - vocal, guitar, keyboards, acoustic bass
Graham Nash - vocal, guitar, piano, harmonica, organ
Neil Young - vocals, guitar, harmonica, keyboards
Tim Drummond - bass
Joe Lala - percussion
Russ Kunkel - drums

Setlist:
01. Love The One You're With
02. Wooden Ships
03. Immigration Man
04. Cowgirl In The Sand
05. Change Partners
06. Traces
07. Grave Concern
08. Black Queen
09. Almost Cut My Hair
10. Ohio
11. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
12. Helplessly Hoping
13. Blackbird
14. Human Highway
15. Prison Song
16. As I Come Of Age
17. Carry Me
18. For Free
19. Guinnevere
20. Southbound Train
21. Another Sleep Song
22. Our House
23. 4 + 20
24. Know You Got To Run
25. You Can't Catch Me (includes Word Game)
26. Love Art Blues
27. Long May You Run
28. A Man Needs A Maid
29. Don't Be Denied*
30. First Things First
31. Deja Vu
32. My Angel
33. Pre Road Downs
34. My Favorite Changes
35. Long Time Gone
36. Revolution Blues
37. Pushed It Over The End
38. Carry On
39. What Are Their Names
40. Chicago

*Patched with alt source

Length: 213:32

Notes:
JEMS master recording. This is an excellent sounding recording. This show captures CSNY on their first reunion tour since parting ways in 1970. This show is epic in length and performance, 40 songs in almost 4 hours. The show also features songs from the aborted follow up album Human Highway like Human Highway and Prison Song among others. Most of those songs have never been formally released so recordings like these are the only sources available for these tunes. This particular jewel from the JEMS archives has been available for many years but this is the first time the master reels have ever been directly digitized (April 2010). This should be an upgrade to any other known copies of this recording. This is an upgrade to the original posting in that this is the very first time this show has been circulated 100% complete not missing any music with a recently unearthed alt source (Sept 2010)"

Yep 213:32... smileys with beer

Date: June 9, 2014 05:03

Wow! Over 3.5 hours of CSNY live music -- and it's being offered for free.

Thanks, dcba! smileys with beer

Date: June 14, 2014 23:13

Date: June 27, 2014 01:50

In other CSNY news, Nash hints at a possible Deja Vu box set, and a Live At The Fillmore East 1970 DVD.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: June 27, 2014 02:59

tatters
In other CSNY news, Nash hints at a possible Deja Vu box set, and a Live At The Fillmore East 1970 DVD.

[www.rollingstone.com]

i don't think its a deja vu boxset just an expanded version. at most 2 discs. funny this was already promised years ago when they updated daylight again and the 1st album

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 1, 2014 23:27

3-song preview at soundcloud : [soundcloud.com]

Posted by: elwoodpdowd ()
Date: July 2, 2014 01:11

kowalski
3-song preview at soundcloud : [soundcloud.com]

Thank you for posting the preview link.

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: July 2, 2014 03:33

Saw that show in Toronto with the Band and Jessie Colin Young. Sure, you could probably rip it somewhere for free, but it'll be worth your money. They still have kids to send to school !

Date: July 2, 2014 06:06

Hear Neil's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" here.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 5, 2014 21:41

Listening to this now and it is just excellent.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:14

Ridiculously overpriced at 80 euros here...
I was really looking forward to this but 80 euros is way too much.
I'll wait until it gets cheaper.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 5, 2014 23:07

Any news on a non-physical HD download?

CD format? Yuck... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 5, 2014 23:40

dcba
Any news on a non-physical HD download?

CD format? Yuck... tongue sticking out smiley
There is a pure audio BluRay apparently. But that also comes in at 80 euros here.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 5, 2014 23:40

71Tele
tatters
71Tele

I am sure they did!

Hey man Mt quit the band 40 years ago! When you quit -- your out -- forever. End of story. LOL!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home