Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones Remixes - which ones are REAL alternate versions?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 20, 2014 15:27

Trying to compile a list of Rolling Stones remixes and/or alternate mixes from 1971-present.

There are many of those horrible dance remixes, and I consider them extremely superflous, I have decided to set a premise of what to include and what not to include.

If a mix includes additional instrumentation or vocals by The Stones, then it should be included. If it's a mix with additional instrumentation or vocals by others, it should not.

"Regular" remixes of a song is also ok. An alternate mix will also pass.

Those "London" or "NY Mixes" from the eighties, I am not so sure of. What are so special about them?

And how about the 12" versions of Undercover Of The Night and Feel On Baby?

Also, wasn't there something special about the remixes Anybody Seen My Baby? I can't remember.

Here is what I have listed so far:

Brown Sugar (7" version) a mono mix
Bitch (7" version) a mono mix
Let It Rock (live) a mono mix
Let It Rock (live) a stereo mix
Sway (7" version) a mono mix, features add. vocals
Tumbling Dice (7" version) a mono mix
All Down The Line (7" version) a mono mix, features add. vocals
Miss You (12" version) features add. vocals and instrumentation
Beast Of Burden (8-track version) features an add. middlesection
Before They Make Me Run (promo version) features add. vocals and instrumentation
If I Was A Dancer (Dance pt. 2) features different vocals and instrumentation
Dance (instrumental)
Terrifying (7" remix) a regular remix
Almost Hear You Sigh (7" remix) a regular remix
Highwire (full-length version) features count-in and longer fade
Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain Remix) features add. vocals
Out Of Tears (Bob Clearmountain Remix) a regular remix
I Go Wild (Scott Litt Remix) features add. instrumentation
Out Of Control (Saber Final Mix) a regular remix
Memory Motel (live) an alternate mix
Gimme Shelter (live) an alternate mix
Don't Stop (New Rock Mix) an alternate mix
Biggest Mistake (instrumental)
Plundered My Soul (7" version) features add. guitar
So Young (Piano Version) features add. instrumentation
Doom & Gloom (Jeff Bhasker Mix) an alternate mix
One More Shot (Jeff Bhasker Mix) an alternate mix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-20 15:54 by Blueranger.

Re: Rolling Stones Remixes - which ones are REAL alternate versions?
Date: May 20, 2014 16:47

* The 12 inch versions of "Undercover of the Night" and "Feel On Baby" are essential in my opinion , especially the former.

* The "Too Much Blood" remixes are over the top in my opinion.

* The N.Y. and London mixes of the Dirty Work tracks are extended remixes. I would consider them to be 'real' remixes. The "One Hit" remixes definitely do not match the album version. The other remixes from this time period .... well,it is a matter of taste.

* There are quite a few 'real' remixes from the Steel Wheels album tracks.

* I don't like the "Out of Tears" remixes. The ones that I have heard just sound like edits of the L.P. version but with slight differences.

* Anybody Seen My Baby (Phil Jones Remix) 4:26
This is the one 'real' remix of many remixes that I have heard if my memory serves me correctly.

* Out of Control (Live Remix) .... This is essential.

* Saint of Me (Todd Terry Extended Remix) 6:00

* Are the No Security CD single tracks >> "Memory Motel" and "Gimme Shelter" really different than the album version(s) ????

* There are Eight Track edits of "Shattered" and "Cherry Oh Baby" as well but they are not essential like the Eight Track versions of "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden" extended.

* The 2 best Miss You versions,to me,are the "Rarities" album version and the Eight Track version.

It looks as though you have the rest figured out. (Not including solo .... Jagger or Richards singles.)

Date: May 20, 2014 17:57

Thanks. It's an answer like the one you have given me, that I was looking for ;-)

By the way, remixes like Undercover and Mixed Emotions, aren't they just artificial made longer, like repetitions of a song's middle-section etc? Do they at all feature something 'unique'? I agree that Undercover, for instance, are really nicely done.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 20, 2014 19:19

A unique mix of Rock And A Hard Place is on "Jump Back" compilation.

Also :
Don Was remix of Anybody Seem My baby
Todd Terry remix of Saint Of Me
Dirty Hands Remix of Sex Drive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-20 19:32 by kowalski.

Date: May 20, 2014 19:45

kowalski
A unique mix of Rock And A Hard Place is on "Jump Back" compilation.

Also :
Don Was remix of Anybody Seem My baby
Todd Terry remix of Saint Of Me
Dirty Hands Remix of Sex Drive

Is Rock And A Hard Place a unique mix? Isn't that just an edit?

The Todd Terry Remix? How is that? Isn't that just artificial made longer?

Sex Drive? How?

I appreciate your answer. Great info. :-)

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 20, 2014 19:52

Rock And A Hard Place is actually an edited version but different from the 7" edit.

Todd Terry Remix sounds different than the album version (though not better IMO)

Sex Drive Dirty Hands remix is also sounding different and possibly better than the album version.

Date: May 21, 2014 02:02

kowalski
Rock And A Hard Place is actually an edited version but different from the 7" edit.

Todd Terry Remix sounds different than the album version (though not better IMO)

Sex Drive Dirty Hands remix is also sounding different and possibly better than the album version.

Well, can Sex Drive sound good at all? :-)

Anyway, thank you again.

I will check these out.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 21, 2014 02:19

Of all these, the rare Beast Of Burden is the greatest gem (in my opinion). It's not just the middle section, it's a different mix throughout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-21 02:21 by shadooby.

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: May 21, 2014 04:59

Out of Control - Live remix. I've scoured the internets for this, anyone know where can a copy or just hear it? Is is THAT good? I remember hearing that song for the first time ever when they played it live and it was amazing.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 21, 2014 05:24

Blueranger
Almost Hear You Sigh (7" remix) a regular remix

I've been curious about this one for years, but have never heard it.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 21, 2014 08:29

But are the versions of "Miss You" remixes?

I ask because I'm sure that I was told once that the two shorter versions are indeed remixes, but that the (wonderful, and who could resist the disgusting pink vinyl version!) long one is a completely different take?

If only they would give a good archivist access to their session tapes the way that Mark Lewisohn was allowed access to The Beatles' tapes, then all of these questions would have answers.

Anyway, does anyone know for sure if the long version is a remix or a different take?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 21, 2014 08:59

Here's some more from my CD collection...

Sympathy For The Devil The Neptunes Remix (Radio) 04:06 SACD Single
Sympathy For The Devil The Neptunes Remix (Full) 05:55 SACD Single
Sympathy For The Devil Full Phatt Remix (Radio) 03:47 SACD Single
Sympathy For The Devil Full Phatt Remix (Full) 05:36 SACD Single
Sympathy For The Devil Fatboy Slim Remix (Radio) 04:16 SACD Single
Sympathy For The Devil Fatboy Slim Remix (Full) 08:25 SACD Single
Memory Motel (remix edit) 04:40
Love Is Strong (Teddy Riley Dub Remix) 04:07
Love Is Strong (Radio Remix) 04:08
Love Is Strong (Extended Rock Remix) 04:48
Love Is Strong (Extended Remix) 05:04
Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain Remix) 03:49
It's Only Rock N Roll (The Innovative Flex Remix) 07:41
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It) [deadly Avengers Takes The Mick Remix] 03:11
Anybody Seen My Baby? (Soul Solution Remix) 09:31
Anybody Seen My Baby? (Phil Jones Remix) 04:30

The timing helps distinguish between some confusing possibilities. I make no excuse for including Sympathy For The Devil.

Vinyl follows in due course.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 21, 2014 15:38

A real remix is the master recording having been tooled with. The rest of the 'remixes' that are the club dance gazillion stupid beats per second with all the noise? That's not a 'real' remix.

Date: May 21, 2014 16:10

GasLightStreet
A real remix is the master recording having been tooled with. The rest of the 'remixes' that are the club dance gazillion stupid beats per second with all the noise? That's not a 'real' remix.

EXACTLY! Very well written!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:12

Blueranger
GasLightStreet

I've seen little enthusiasm among fans for the techno-club-dance type mixes, and have wondered if Mick being a habitué of dance clubs is the only reason such releases continued after a certain point.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:16

Title5Take1
Blueranger
GasLightStreet

I've seen little enthusiasm among fans for the techno-club-dance type mixes, and have wondered if Mick being a habitué of dance clubs is the only reason such releases continued after a certain point.

Well they have to make money in order for them to continue putting them out, right?

But I'm with you, I can't see any reason for the 12 remixes of Saint Of Me...I don't see the purpose. Does anyone actually play them?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 21, 2014 18:41

i´ve never heard the BofB remix... And now i´m salivating (like Pavlog´s dog) to hear it...

Could anyone email it to me? Please?!

thank you!

PS and the mono TD if you have it!
thank you
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 21, 2014 19:12

The mono Tumbling Dice can be heard on Youtube.
In some countries the 8 track mix of Beast Of Burden can be found there as well.

Regarding the 12" mixes, with the exception of Miss You, which is in some ways better the the album version, in don't see any point of doing them.

Once I heard that awful Teddy Reiley mix of Love Is Strong on the radio and thought it sounded so off-putting.

The dance mixes are playing with elements of a track which was never intended to be coupled with programmed rhythms. I can't remember anyone actually liking those dance versions, not even the people who they are aimed at -the discoteque club people. Who are the Stones trying to fool? To even pay a guy like Teddy Reiley money for doing a remix, is a waste of money, in my opinion.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 21, 2014 19:25

Blueranger

By the way, remixes like Undercover and Mixed Emotions, aren't they just artificial made longer, like repetitions of a song's middle-section etc? Do they at all feature something 'unique'? I agree that Undercover, for instance, are really nicely done.

The 12" mix of "Undercover" has a fantastic little extra section where we hear the main riff from Keith, played slightly differently, he just rips into it, without all the echo effects...that is definitely extra and different and not on the LP version at all. I think it's actually the coolest part of the whole song, including the album version!

Date: May 21, 2014 20:25

Almost every studio track is mixed in an artificial way.

Remixed just means that a track has been mixed for a second or subsequent time.

There are not too many 'Live in the Studio' tracks. "Already Over Me" might be one example. Maybe "You Got Me Rocking" as well. I am not sure.

Date: May 21, 2014 21:08

But there is a difference between adding additional instrumentation like programmed beats and then just take the multitrack without adding anything except maybe highlighting some licks that were excluded from the official mix. The Scott Litt remix of I Go Wild, features some licks by Ronnie not present on the album version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-22 00:05 by Blueranger.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2014 03:04

Turning To Gold
Blueranger

The 12" mix of "Undercover" has a fantastic little extra section where we hear the main riff from Keith, played slightly differently, he just rips into it, without all the echo effects...that is definitely extra and different and not on the LP version at all. I think it's actually the coolest part of the whole song, including the album version!

yeah, I think UCOTN is my second favourite remix after Miss You, it's quite good.

Date: May 22, 2014 04:34

Blueranger
But there is a difference between adding additional instrumentation like programmed beats and then just take the multitrack without adding anything except maybe highlighting some licks that were excluded from the official mix. The Scott Litt remix of I Go Wild, features some licks by Ronnie not present on the album version.

The 12" of Miss You - it's mainly edited different - in this case, less than the LP and UK single version. A different mix, like I Go Wild by Scott Litt or Love Is Strong by Bob Clearmountain is indeed a remix - a remix doesn't automatically equate to "longer".

The 12" of One Hit (and Harlem Shuffle) is mixed entirely different from the LP/single version - yet without stupid beats and noises thrown in - and due to editing allows for different "instrumentation" to be used. Which the editing of Miss You brings out - the breakdown with the keyboard, for example.

All those stupid inane techno "remixes" give me a headache and simply are not remixes, they're total crap.

Date: May 22, 2014 10:10

Jimmy C
Out of Control - Live remix. I've scoured the internets for this, anyone know where can a copy or just hear it? Is is THAT good? I remember hearing that song for the first time ever when they played it live and it was amazing.

E-Mail address ??

I can send it to you if you want to pass it on to everyone else.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 22, 2014 17:29

...I dunno if it qualifies as 'REAL' or not; but Soulwax/ 2ManyDJs did a remix (starting from the original masters!) of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in 2008, for some movie.

More info HERE: [iorr.org]

Date: May 22, 2014 19:19

Winning Ugly VXII
Jimmy C

E-Mail address ??

I can send it to you if you want to pass it on to everyone else.

I sent you the track. Please let me know if you have received it. The new format of my Yahoo e-mail confuses me a little bit. (Conversations etc..) It's different than it used to be.

If it did not go through,I will re-send it. Hopefully it did,though.

Date: May 22, 2014 19:27

I forgot to mention all of the "Rain Fall Down" remixes back at the top of the thread.

There is one CD single with 2 remixes + an edited version and there is another rare CD single with upwards of six other remixes.

I only have the 3 track CD single so,I can't comment on the other Rain Fall Down remixes.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: May 22, 2014 23:25

Winning Ugly VXII
I forgot to mention all of the "Rain Fall Down" remixes back at the top of the thread.

There is one CD single with 2 remixes + an edited version and there is another rare CD single with upwards of six other remixes.

I only have the 3 track CD single so,I can't comment on the other Rain Fall Down remixes.

The Rain Fall Down - came in :
1)- will.i.am Remix
2)- will.i.am. instrumental
3)- Ashley Beedle´s "Heavy Disco" Vocal re-edit
4)- Ashley Beedle´s "Heavy Disco" Dub re-edit
5)- Ashley Beedle´s "Heavy Disco" Radio re-edit
6)- radio-edit of album version

- and furthermore, - 1) - 5) - 6) - plus the Album-version, -
came in censored versions, erasing the word "Wan%ers" !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 11:53 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: May 22, 2014 23:34

Edit made on previous post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 11:54 by HenrikBB.

Date: May 22, 2014 23:53

Blueranger
Trying to compile a list of Rolling Stones remixes and/or alternate mixes from 1971-present.

There are many of those horrible dance remixes, and I consider them extremely superflous, I have decided to set a premise of what to include and what not to include.

If a mix includes additional instrumentation or vocals by The Stones, then it should be included. If it's a mix with additional instrumentation or vocals by others, it should not.

"Regular" remixes of a song is also ok. An alternate mix will also pass.

Those "London" or "NY Mixes" from the eighties, I am not so sure of. What are so special about them?

They were extended versions and a remix that featured what was on tape ie recorded by the band and no additional garbage as would appear later on Rock And A Hard Place, Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking and Anybody Seen My Baby as a few stellar examples.

Blueranger
And how about the 12" versions of Undercover Of The Night and Feel On Baby?

Same thing - different mixes that make the song longer due to editing all using what was recorded by the band ie real remixes.

Blueranger
Also, wasn't there something special about the remixes Anybody Seen My Baby? I can't remember.

Eh, the cover looked like postage stamps and the disc featured the LP and edit versions as well as the 'remixes' that cause brain hemorrhages?

Miss You (12" version) features add. vocals and instrumentation
If I Was A Dancer (Dance pt. 2) features different vocals and instrumentation
Highwire (full-length version) features count-in and longer fade
Out Of Tears (Bob Clearmountain Remix) a regular remix
I Go Wild (Scott Litt Remix) features add. instrumentation

The "additional instrumentation" and vocals were all done during the sessions, they are not actual additional recordings, in case that is confusing for someone.

Miss You is the whole song except for the very end that is edited differently - they isolated the keyboard for the break and cleverly extended that, along with the bass line, as well as featured the rest of the lyrics that were edited out of the LP/single versions.

If I Was A Dancer is the exact same track as Dance from the album that features only different vocals from what I've been able to tell over the years.

The full count version of Highwire is better than the LP mix, only because of the count and the CHUNK that Mick does with his guitar to help count it. Don't recall the fade being any longer but that doesn't really matter now does it... although I've always thought the audible clap Mick does in the late part of the song was hilarious.

The Bob Clearmountain remix of Out Of Tears is an edit version which I found very odd. His remix of Love Is Strong is better than the LP version too.

The Scott Litt remix of I Go Wild is better than the LP version!

Great mixes that are slightly different than the LP versions for those two Voodoo tracks, in the case of I Go Wild, it's not edited as much, where as Love Is Strong just uses guitar tracks that were turned down on the LP version in places. From what I read somewhere eons ago Ronnie used several amps on that one for one guitar take and got a lot of different sounds.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home