Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling Stones reel to reel tapes?
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 19, 2014 02:30

71Tele
Milkyway: I would love to find some of those echo units. Of course, I can use digital echo now, but there's something about those original TEAC ones. We did a lot of bouncing down (to free up tracks) in those days, so we got a Fostex 4-channel Dolby C noise reduction unit. When I started working on these tapes I had to find another Fostex, as some of the tapes were encoded with Dolby C. Are you doing multi-track recording?

Sorry for the delay, 71Tele. No, I am not doing any multitrack recording.

Originally, I was looking for a reel tape player with sound-on-sound capability to use as a guitar effect. I understand Ritchie Blackmore uses a reel tape player that has sound-on-sound, so I wanted to try it out myself.

Is the Fostex an outboard Dolby unit you used with the TEAC? I have seen a few decent-looking outboard TEAC Dolby units for sale online that can be hooked up to the A-3340S. I may get one myself if I can find one reasonably priced.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:52

MILKYWAY
71Tele
Milkyway: I would love to find some of those echo units. Of course, I can use digital echo now, but there's something about those original TEAC ones. We did a lot of bouncing down (to free up tracks) in those days, so we got a Fostex 4-channel Dolby C noise reduction unit. When I started working on these tapes I had to find another Fostex, as some of the tapes were encoded with Dolby C. Are you doing multi-track recording?

Sorry for the delay, 71Tele. No, I am not doing any multitrack recording.

Originally, I was looking for a reel tape player with sound-on-sound capability to use as a guitar effect. I understand Ritchie Blackmore uses a reel tape player that has sound-on-sound, so I wanted to try it out myself.

Is the Fostex an outboard Dolby unit you used with the TEAC? I have seen a few decent-looking outboard TEAC Dolby units for sale online that can be hooked up to the A-3340S. I may get one myself if I can find one reasonably priced.

Yes, I use the Fostex 4060. Teac didn't make a Dolby C, they used the competing DBX method and those boxes can be found on eBay or Craigslist.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:55

You mean Jamming with Edward or Monkey Grip Glue didn't come out on Reel to Reel? confused smiley

I think a few companies like A & M, ABC Dunhill and the like came out in this media strongly.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 20, 2014 22:55

BroomWagon
You mean Jamming with Edward or Monkey Grip Glue didn't come out on Reel to Reel? confused smiley

I think a few companies like A & M, ABC Dunhill and the like came out in this media strongly.

Never seen either, I doubt they exist.

Date: June 2, 2016 17:14

Bumping this one, as I'm collecting reel to reel-albums now. I've seen England's Newest Hitmakers, Out Of Our Heads, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers out there.

They're pretty darn expensive, though.

I just bought my first reel to reel-albums (no Stones yet). The Yardbirds-album sounds amazing!

I have three Tandberg players. I'm mainly using the 4000X.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 2, 2016 19:39

Interesting thread. I still have a Sony r2r which I haven't used in ages. Now, I have an excuse to get it out of the box. In regard to this subject, outside of eBay and Amazon, are there any places left to purchase blank r2r tapes?

Date: June 2, 2016 19:41

dmay
Interesting thread. I still have a Sony r2r which I haven't used in ages. Now, I have an excuse to get it out of the box. In regard to this subject, outside of eBay and Amazon, are there any places left to purchase blank r2r tapes?

Try Darklab. They're working on developing new products now, but still has lots of stuff.

I've been buying these tapes lately, and I'm very happy with them:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 10:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 2, 2016 20:50

Never used reel to reel but as a kid in the 70's I used to love looking at them in hi-fi magazines and in stereo shops. The mid 1970's was the apex for design aesthetics for audio equipment. Receivers and amps had midnight blue back-lit VU meters and the same for the back-lit rectangular AM/FM tuner displays. They were just beautiful. I seem to remember these Akai reel to real machines were like that too, and so beautiful. They looked so high-end and out of reach.

I think they started to disappear from the stereo stores in the late 70's. There are so many audio and video playback and storage formats that have disappeared at this point in time, it's a fascinating subject.

If you search on YouTube there is a whole retro community for televisions, radios, home furnishings, audio equipment, and so on. There are people that just love restoring old stuff and there is one guy that has a full home decked out that looks like you just entered into the world of 1963.

Anyway, sorry getting off track a bit. If anything, you can be a retro reel to reel/audio voyeur by going to YouTube and doing some searching. It amazing how consumer products that were around for so many years just disappear and they are so easy to completely forget. Think of the old "piano key" car radios where you set the tuning, pulled out on the key and then pushed it back in to mechanically "program" it. They are gone like the Dodo bird.

If they had made something akin to a reel to reel audio cassette format, chances are the format would have been more robust and sold in much higher volume. Alas, 20-20 hindsight is just that.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 2, 2016 23:01

I had a reel to reel & used to play The Doors 'L.A. Woman' on it & the first thing that literally AMAZED me was the SOUND!

To this day nothing I've ever heard off vinyl, cd's, the high end players etc..even comes close!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: June 3, 2016 00:30

You got that right, Marshall! thumbs up

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 3, 2016 10:15

Green Lady
- very nice for off-air taping from TV or radio (the illegal downloading technique of the early 1960s)...

..only if you spread the tapes. Recording for private use was never illegal, otherwise you could not have borrowed albums from friends in order to record it on tape or Cassette.

Date: October 21, 2016 13:43

I've been checking out RS reel-to-reels on ebay for a while. Finally, I got my hands on a couple of reasonably priced items. They play great!

FLOWERS original reel-to-reel - LPX 70135 - LONDON:

DECEMBER'S CHILDREN original reel-to-reel LPX 70105 / LONDON/FFRR.:

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 22, 2016 19:01

Never mind the way these things sound......

You got to have one purely for the Vintage/retro/cool look of them!....smoking smiley

My mate has a 30/40 year old Akai, doesn't use it, just has it on display in his house.

I want it but he wont part with it.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 23, 2016 13:58

68to72

You got to have one purely for the Vintage/retro/cool look of them!....smoking smiley

My mate has a 30/40 year old Akai, doesn't use it, just has it on display in his house.

I can identify with that. The first serious hi-fi I bought was [www.radiomuseum.org] simply because it was such a beautiful object.

Still got it. In a box, but when I got it out about 10 yrs ago it worked fine.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: October 28, 2016 11:52

68to72

With a little care these players sound wonderful. Tape, of course, is a great-sounding media.

I have three Tandberg reel-to-reel players. A 4000X, which is my main player at home. At my office I have a 1200X. I have a Model 6 at home as well. That one is from 1960. It might also be the best of the lot, but unfortunately it doesn't have a built-in amp. The amps on these things are great, too. I use my 4000X as the amp for all my players, be it CD, turntable, DAT, cassette player or mini disc smiling smiley

Then again, that's me, he he..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 11:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 28, 2016 19:28

I have an old Sony TC280 r2r which has been packed away for ages. I wonder if it will still work. If it does, my big question is, outside of looking for pre-recorded band tapes on ebay and elsewhere, where can you find blank r2r tapes today if you want to record a mix tape or such?

Another question - maybe this is another thread - are cassette tape recorders/players still available as stand alone items anymore? I have a large box of cassette tapes and, outside of using a boom box, would love to have a stand alone cassette tape player/recorder to play them through. I used Sanyo cassette units back in the day. They were great price and quality wise for my recording purposes. What's interesting is, I recently played some of the cassette tapes I recorded 30 plus years ago on a boom box and the sound was so much better than CD, MP3, digital, which surprised me considering the age of the tapes.

Date: October 28, 2016 21:14

1. Try Darklab
2. Lots of great second hand players out there, but I'm pretty sure there are new ones on the market as well.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 21:25

Well you've all convinced me .....

I'm going to buy myself one.... and not just for its looks!

Not sure what I'm going for probably an Akai..... The chase is on!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: October 28, 2016 22:27

68to72
Well you've all convinced me .....

I'm going to buy myself one.... and not just for its looks!

Not sure what I'm going for probably an Akai..... The chase is on!

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home