Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Semi OT: Living Legends
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: April 30, 2014 22:48

Of course the Stones are special in that they are still at a high point in the game. We have talked about a few here who may have lost their chops, but folks still go to see. "Legend" can be debated (like Most Allison should be, but isn't really)...but who do we have left (even if we disagree they are a legend)?

The Rolling Stones
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
BB King
Buddy Guy (a bit of a stretch on "legend" for me, but I'll go with it)

Ya'll fill in the rest.

Re: Semi OT: Living Legends
Date: April 30, 2014 22:58

willie nelson
kris kristofferson
merle haggard
eric clapton
eric burdon
johnny winter
leslie west

not sure why you think buddy guy is a stretch

Date: April 30, 2014 23:03

To me, legend is a very special & select class. There are folks who are great, but will not be remembered like others are. I know plenty of people who don't know much about music but know who BB King is...and not Buddy.

Oh, add Dylan of course.

I don't think most peole know who Eric Burdon is, nor Merle, nor J. Winter, etc. Like I said, we all have different opinions of legend...but if 8 outta 10 on the street would say "never heard of him/her," I wouldn't say "legend."

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:05

Interesting thought. The artists you meantion other than The Stones are from an earlier musical generation than the Stones (in my mind anyway).

If you're going to include the Stones (which I won't disagree with you), you should probably also include Paul & Ringo.

Also Brian Wilson (though I understand from your other thread that you don't like the Beach Boys) and Bob Dylan if you want to get into the 60's legends. In that case I think that Jeff Beck would probably make the list along with Jimmy Page and thus the leap to Robert Plant isn't that difficult.

As I rack my brain trying to think of people to see because of who they are and the fact that they might not be around much longer, I'm really only coming up with Aretha Franklin & Dion. I'm sure I'll be watching other posters replies and kicking myself for what they come up with.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:08

sdstonesguy
Of course the Stones are special in that they are still at a high point in the game. We have talked about a few here who may have lost their chops, but folks still go to see. "Legend" can be debated (like Most Allison should be, but isn't really)...but who do we have left (even if we disagree they are a legend)?

The Rolling Stones
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
BB King
Buddy Guy (a bit of a stretch on "legend" for me, but I'll go with it)

Ya'll fill in the rest.

Buddy Guy is a Bona-fide living legend.

I'll add...

Mose Allison
James Cotton
John McLaughlin
Billy Cobbham
Eric Clapton
Stevie Wonder
Diana Ross
Aretha Franklin
Plácido Domingo
Chick Corea
Rakhem
Chuck D.

CBII

Date: April 30, 2014 23:09

I dig what you are saying about Paul & Ringo, Jimmy & Robert...but I think their bands are what made them big, thus the Beatles are dead (Pink Floyd too). But I can be open to them as individuals too...I know what you are saying.

Aretha...Great Call
Gladys?
Joni Mitchell might make it
Paul Simon seems a stretch...but I do love him.
Smokey Robinson I'll include
Van Morrison probably makes the cut.

Some people know the names, but can't name but one or two songs. To me, that would make the "legend" suspect (like Gladys).

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:17

Don't necessarily agree with all of these, but I think you have to include them. Here are some that I don't think have been mentioned already:

Paul McCartney
David Bowie
Loretta Lynn
Bruce Springsteen
Merle Haggard

Date: April 30, 2014 23:19

Nice additions CB...but of those I'll agree on Chick Corea, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and maybe Cotton.

I may be bias about Clapton...I really can't stand his music outside the Beano album & D&D.

Mose is amazing (sadly now retired) and I have seen him many times...but nobody knows who he is. He never had big sales, played big venues or had a big name. When he dies, it will be a small line on cnn.com somewhere.

Let's at least agree that if we put a list together, everyone on it stands roughly eye to eye. Do you really think Chuck Berry & Most Allison are equal in how they will be remembered? Me either...(ok, citing your dad may not be the best choice...go with Aretha then).

Date: April 30, 2014 23:20

Bruce...nice call.

See, to put Macca is strange to me. The Beatles will be remembered for a long time, but Macca will be remembered as a Beatle.

There is a reason I did not put Mick, and to a lesser extent Keef. Charlie Watts is not a legend...but his band sure is.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:23

Joan Baez
Leonard Cohen
Stevie Wonder

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:24

Mose Allison ... good call CBII!

Date: April 30, 2014 23:28

crosby, stills and nash

Date: April 30, 2014 23:29

Hey, no fair...I put Mose in the original post...why does CBII get all the cred? That's it...I'm outta here (doing my best Mick Taylor).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:29

Sonny Rollins

Date: April 30, 2014 23:30

Koen...excellent call.

It's hard to remember off the top of our heads...but colllectively we'll come up with something. I'm sure BV will take the time to make 1 great list so we don't have to read all the posts... winking smiley

Date: April 30, 2014 23:38

sdstonesguy
Hey, no fair...I put Mose in the original post...why does CBII get all the cred? That's it...I'm outta here (doing my best Mick Taylor).

Sorry, Didn't know Most Allison

Date: April 30, 2014 23:42

I figured anyone who actually knows who Mose Allison is would know the typo when they saw it.

Just for clarity then...when people write "Keef" they mean Keith Richards.

Date: April 30, 2014 23:58

sdstonesguy
I figured anyone who actually knows who Mose Allison is would know the typo when they saw it.

Just for clarity then...when people write "Keef" they mean Keith Richards.

OK, I will be totally honest, names stand out more when they are listed as opposed to in a sentence, my apologies for missing it.drinking smiley

Date: May 1, 2014 00:04

That is true...who has time to read all the blathering...I too am guilty.

I was just feigning anger anyway...

Back on topic...I think the length of this thread will tell us roughly how many/few living legends are left. It should give support to the argument that if someone wants to see BB or Chuck just to see a legend...it is pretty understandable. I really would like to see Aretha, but by the time I had a chance, I didn't want to pay $120.

Single, no house, no kids...got dough. Married, house & little one? Priorities...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:23

sdstonesguy
Nice additions CB...but of those I'll agree on Chick Corea, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and maybe Cotton.

I may be bias about Clapton...I really can't stand his music outside the Beano album & D&D.

That's really unfair.He was brilliant in The Yardbirds too.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:32

ash
sdstonesguy

That's really unfair.He was brilliant in The Yardbirds too.

Seconded. Plus, wasn't he already being called "God" by 1966? I believe it has been said, in the authorized Cream documentary, that the main reason that Hendrix came to England was so that he could meet his idol--Eric Clapton.

Posted by: bryanoakville ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:46

Iggy Pop - fer sure !

Date: May 1, 2014 02:48

Oh, better add Alice as well.

Date: May 1, 2014 18:43

Alice Bag Band?

Date: May 2, 2014 01:22

Nah, the Coop.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 2, 2014 01:28

Neil Young

And I'd argue a bit for Joe Cocker, with or without the hat.

Date: May 2, 2014 03:12

SomeTorontoGirl
Neil Young

And I'd argue a bit for Joe Cocker, with or without the hat.

cocker for sure. maybe santana too

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 2, 2014 03:15

Many of the artists listed are great and popular performers, but folks seem to be stretching the definition of legend. Dylan is a legend and a world-changer, and I'm thankful to be alive at the same time as him. I wouldn't put, say, Alice Cooper or Diana Ross in the same category, which is not to say I'm dismissing them altogether. But it dilutes the concept when everybody becomes a legend.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 2, 2014 03:21

A legend is someone you admire enough to put on a pedestal, but most important, a legend is someone whose accomplishments precede your time. Someone who came of age in the sixties would never think of Alice Cooper as a legend, but someone from the eighties or nineties might.

Like musical appreciation, the concept of legend is subjective.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 2, 2014 04:08

Paul McCartney is a living legend. How can anyone disagree on that?
His influence on rock music is unquestionable. Also after The Beatles.

Same thing with:

David Bowie
Eric Clapton
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Stevie Wonder
Neil Young
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Mick Jagger
Keith Richards
Bruce Springsteen
Aretha Franklin
Brian Wilson
Van Morrison
Paul Simon

Those are all in the heavy-weight league, regarding music that has inspired millions of people.
Wether you dig or do not dig their music, is a different subject matter.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home