Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones - Magic
Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 22, 2014 13:13

Judging by the catalog number, seems to be actually a "Hot Rocks" acetate.
Interesting to learn that Abkco considered "Magic" as a title beside "Hot Rocks"...

[S:FR:3160" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.fr]

Re: Rolling Stones - Magic
Posted by: lox ()
Date: April 22, 2014 13:17

This is fake.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2014 18:30

I don't know if it's a fake or not, but the official release date for Hot Rocks is December 20, 1971, so the date on the label seems to be off.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 22, 2014 21:12

The catalogue number is for the South African "Hot Rocks"

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: April 25, 2014 05:09

Stay clear of this one. The seller Dan Milecki and his Ebay user name dmilecki. He is a fraud ,simple as that. He sells home made "acetates " week in week out, all year round and not just the Stones but other major bands . Beatles , Queen , Bowie and more .Funny how there is never any unknown acetates or artists ?
The prices are in sane that he fleeces from unsuspecting buyers. Very sad .

Send him an email and ask about provenance and see what response you get !

articles and warnings of him have been discussed at other forums stonescave and Vikings and another exact copy of this acetate shown and declared fake by it's actual owner !!

amazing how he is allowed to keep doing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 05:12 by Horseswild.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 05:44

Well, there is one sure way to tell if this is fake or not. If you know what an acetate is and how it's made, there are at least two holes in the disc. One for the spindle, the other for a drive pin. The drive pin is used to make sure the disc doesn't slip during the mastering process. The hole for the drive pin is almost always hidden by the label. There are two ways to find it. Hold the disc up to the light or feel for it. No hole, no go, it's fake.

Date: April 25, 2014 06:55

The problem is they are in fact acetates with the two holes on the disc , these guys are using old blank recording discs and simply cutting them on home recording lathes all still readily available for sale on Ebay and the like.

That is why we end up with all these crazy label's and designs and disc sizes and in this case the title and origin from South Africa. When you think about it so few real Decca and London disc's survive today so the fraudsters come up with these crazy variations simply to confuse . With these expensive fakes you will always get the buyer stating and believing "It could be real". None of these current examples contain any different versions, mixes , longer versions etc . The many recent Satanic acetates advertised and there have been many , have simply taken their recorded source from the Satanic sessions bootleg's.

The problem now that so many of these fake acetates are out in the open and so readily for sale (they use to only trade in private circles) there stories and provenance get blown out of the water because the same handwriting , stamps , stickers , wrong dates etc , feature on either a US , UK , South African or even a moon variation. The worst example of a fake is when they actually print the word acetate on the label !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 07:00 by Horseswild.

Date: April 25, 2014 08:03

I went on ebay and asked if he had a COA or other provenance, his reply was hilarious (I'll post the thing tomorrow). I asked him if the second hole existed, but I see your point Horseswild. Here's an interesting fact: the seller's name is Dennis Milecki, not Dan, and........wait for it...he studied design at the art institute of Baltimore (just google him).

Posted by: connection91 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 10:21

The most interresting with the official HOT ROCKS from south africa is that it doesn'contain brown sugar and wild horse which are only for US pressing. These 2 songs are replaced with 3 from decca period.

Date: April 26, 2014 07:43

Read from the bottom up. For sure this guy is selling fakes. LOL

Dear dmilecki,

That's all well and good, but you are selling on ebay, not in "the record selling community". I have %100 feedback, higher than you and I've been buying and selling records for over 40 years. So your "reputation" which I know nothing of means nothing. Having a COA on ebay is pretty standard. If you cannot provide one, can you tell me if there is a second hole in the disc, under the label? This is easily found by holding the record up to a strong light or by feeling for it.

By the way, the record selling community you speak of was wiped out decades ago by ebay.

-

To:
Subject: Re: Details about item: sp sent a message about ROLLING STONES 12" metal ACETATE "Magic" (one sided-4 songs) rare NEVER RELEASED #301159883489
Sent Date: Apr-24-14 21:17:43 PDT

Dear,

I believe my solid reputation of 30 years in the record selling community speaks volumes..

- dmilecki

To: dmilecki
Subject: Details about item: sp sent a message about ROLLING STONES 12" metal ACETATE "Magic" (one sided-4 songs) rare NEVER RELEASED #301159883489
Sent Date: Apr-24-14 19:25:40 PDT

Dear dmilecki,

What provenance do you have for this item? Any COA, etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-27 04:47 by roller99.

Date: April 28, 2014 16:06

Hi Roller ,
Yes you are right our "reputable" friend is Dennis and just laugh at his reply . Sadly this record still sold for $303 but well short of the $1000 he would of been expecting. So maybe the warnings on our Stones boards are finally getting through .
To confirm how bad this guy really is just check the dummy bidding used on this sale . only 1 real bidder flushed out by a surprise surprise (private) feedback bidder with over 644 bid retractions in a 6 month period ! I would suggest most buyers would have little or nil retractions during their whole Ebay buying career . I will let you be the judge.

I have the guys at stonescave.ning.com to thank and their fake discussion thread as they have been on to this guy for a while . He recently sold a terrible signed George Martin emidisc for $2500 which the signature is a joke and the same handwriting is common on all of his disc label's over different artists !

We are not talking about the odd misunderstanding of a sale of an acetate here and there. This is a full production line where this fraud is reaping sometimes $5000 to $10,000 plus a month and is brazen to do this out in the open and like Ebay itself ignore all complaints .The buyers simply are not aware of the scam and are desperate and taking a punt for these "rare" discs to be the real thing . This should be a police matter of fraud.

He now hides behind a new disclaimer on his listings that all these acetates are aquired off a now deceased English DJ whom sold it to a person who now sells them to him and he sells on his behalf to raise money for his sick wife etc etc . I think there is a legal term for this !

Anyway at least IORR members here have been updated and warned . Again please beware Ebay seller dmilecki I can feel a change of user name coming on soon.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 28, 2014 16:59

Incredible. And the police and state are making a big fuss over a little uploading of bootlegs on the internet. They should concentrate on a guy like this who are making a big fortune on other peoples behalf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home