Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Hamburg 1965 - Is this not more Important than any Live Recording from 1981 Onwards ?
Date: April 23, 2014 00:11

It's fun to hear Mick just as arrogant as in 1975 back then already smiling smiley

Is he saying "showing off" to Keith when Keith overdoes his falsetto on his backup vocals during TIOMS? >grinning smiley<

Re: Hamburg 1965 - Is this not more Important than any Live Recording from 1981 Onwards ?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 23, 2014 01:19

LongBeachArena72
It would take them another four years and a dramatic change in personnel to become an excellent live band.

Hell no! As a "rythmn and blues" band they were pretty perfect here. They were way better than the competition (Beatles Animals etc)

As inventors of a harder more modern rock (aka the MT era) they sucked in 69. It took them at least two more years (1971) to get the thing going.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 23, 2014 02:46

DandelionPowderman
It's fun to hear Mick just as arrogant as in 1975 back then already smiling smiley

Is he saying "showing off" to Keith when Keith overdoes his falsetto on his backup vocals during TIOMS? >grinning smiley<

I think he's saying "Sho' enough".

Man, that is a "warts and all" recording of Mick! More please!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 07:13

dcba
LongBeachArena72
It would take them another four years and a dramatic change in personnel to become an excellent live band.

Hell no! As a "rythmn and blues" band they were pretty perfect here. They were way better than the competition (Beatles Animals etc)

As inventors of a harder more modern rock (aka the MT era) they sucked in 69. It took them at least two more years (1971) to get the thing going.

"One night in 1965, on their first American tour, the Stones play at Ithaca College in upstate New York. No fainters or swooners, no screamers or jellybaby throwers, no roaring insanity. For the first time in a year and a half, the Stones are able to hear themselves live.

'Bloody awful we were,' Bill smiles."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 23, 2014 08:45

Well, you can trust a Bill Wyman joke, or you can trust your own ears. Some ears will agree with Bill's, others (mine) won't.

bleedingman
DandelionPowderman

I think he's saying "Sho' enough".

Man, that is a "warts and all" recording of Mick! More please!

Yes, he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-23 08:49 by Aquamarine.

Date: April 23, 2014 11:11

<It would take them another four years and a dramatic change in personnel to become an excellent live band.>

There should be no doubt about the Stones being excellent in 1965 already. What a marvellous show this Hamburg tape is!

Brian is rock solid, and Keith plays like a god. Tipsy Mick is the icing on the cake. Bill and Charlie lock it all down. Wow, I love this show thumbs up

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 23, 2014 14:25

Aquamarine
LongBeachArena72
Truly awful recording. Jagger sounds like a vocalist who has never been able to hear himself sing over the shrieks of the audience. It would take them another four years and a dramatic change in personnel to become an excellent live band.

That's how they made their reputation in the first place--as an excellent live band.

I agree..problem is there are so few live tapes of the classic 60s bands before they hit the national/international tour circuits at which point they had amps as big as a peanut and no monitors versus 2000+ screaming girls. It would take a shift in concert-going attitude for bands like the Stones to reach anything approaching or surpassing their earlier live prowess. Look how quickly things went downhill for everyone's favourite boyband (early 64 i'd say) and also the Stones...no-ones listening and the band can't hear themselves. It's a personal appearance and not a concert.
Having said that, this is a great document and further proof that Mick's mostly been a shouter rather than a singer...interesting to hear a tape where he's more messed up than Keith and Brian - that must've taken some doing !
I hope one day we'll get to hear some 1963, early 1964 live club tapes of the band in action...i'll bet they were red-hot before the screaming rendered the music secondary.
Anyway, thanks to whoever leaked this...i love the "pop" Stones and any opportunity to hear Around and Around and I'm Moving On is appreciated even if Mick sounds like he'd have difficulty moving around without a team of assistants. They should put I'm Moving On back in the set-list.

Date: April 23, 2014 14:39

<problem is there are so few live tapes of the classic 60s bands before they hit the national/international tour circuits at which point they had amps as big as a peanut and no monitors versus 2000+ screaming girls>

That's exactly why this release was so good. Great sound, and a great performance. Now we need a 66/67 performance with the same sound quality smileys with beer

Date: April 23, 2014 14:54

Something i've always hoped might exist is something from the 1966 UK tour although i must confess i'm far more interested in the World War 3 Beck/Page Yardbirds combo from that tour.
Anyway i'm up for anything from the 60s especially if it's well balanced, ok sound quality and MJ hasn't had a skinful !
Like a broken record i repeat once again "Release Bill's 1964 Radio Luxembourg Acetate"
Studio quality early live Stones with no screams, plenty of interesting early r'n'b covers and not a war-horse in sight from a time that was probably close to their first peak as a live band.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:07

ash

Like a broken record i repeat once again "Release Bill's 1964 Radio Luxembourg Acetate"

Every now and then I have a look at Felix Aeppli's website just to learn what's traded in the "inner circle" of the collector's scene. As Felix describes "Walking The Dog" with "Whistle Brian Jones; hand clapping missing in this version" I tend to say it's already out there. All we have to do and all we can do is wait until someone of these folks needs money.

Same with "Come and dance with me", "Over You", El Mocambo and many other recordings.

Date: April 23, 2014 16:20

I'm not so sure on that one to be honest. I do favour Felix and Nico's sites above all others but i think Felix might be engaging in some informed speculation so to speak on Walking The Dog. I hope i'm wrong and apologies if i am. It would make a brilliant Record Store Day release but as ABKCO wont get much publishing from it and BIll doesn't seem interested in it i'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:57

ash
I'm not so sure on that one to be honest. I do favour Felix and Nico's sites above all others but i think Felix might be engaging in some informed speculation so to speak on Walking The Dog. I hope i'm wrong and apologies if i am. It would make a brilliant Record Store Day release but as ABKCO wont get much publishing from it and BIll doesn't seem interested in it i'm not holding my breath.

One of my best friends had the tapes of the Some Girls-sessions long before they were released on Outsider Bird (Paris Results, Better Results) and he never told me. At least not until it was all out.
Maybe I'm a bit distrustful by now.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 23, 2014 21:35

<<Studio quality early live Stones with no screams, plenty of interesting early r'n'b covers and not a war-horse in sight from a time that was probably close to their first peak as a live band.>>

Not the one you're looking for, but that also describes the Camden Theatre 1964 set done for the BBC. Best of all, it was recorded in full stereo, one of the first stereo broadcasts done in the UK.

Date: April 23, 2014 22:14

Yeah that's a great one, i have the whole show somewhere. In actual fact the BBC had made several experimental stereo broadcasts in previous years often including portions of Saturday Club in the sequence. Don't have the dates to hand but i think the first was in 1959 or 60 under the name stereophony (or something like that) which broadcast test tones,chat,music and then saturday club.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 24, 2014 17:33

OK I am confused. Did I download the same/right show from Hot Stuff as everyone else? People are raving about this recording, and I'm glad that it turned up after all these years, but I have reservations.

All I'm saying is this -- it sounds to me, like Mick is SUPER UP FRONT and the band is mixed very VERY far to the back? Because I'm having trouble hearing the band, discerning what is going on. WHILE MICK IS SINGING I can't hear anything at all except Mick...we don't have a lot of recordings from this era, but it's really not a home run or an out-of-this-world experience, for me, mix-wise...

Just curious if anyone else felt this way about this tape, or if it's just me....I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

Date: April 24, 2014 18:46

Turning To Gold
OK I am confused. Did I download the same/right show from Hot Stuff as everyone else? People are raving about this recording, and I'm glad that it turned up after all these years, but I have reservations.

All I'm saying is this -- it sounds to me, like Mick is SUPER UP FRONT and the band is mixed very VERY far to the back? Because I'm having trouble hearing the band, discerning what is going on. WHILE MICK IS SINGING I can't hear anything at all except Mick...we don't have a lot of recordings from this era, but it's really not a home run or an out-of-this-world experience, for me, mix-wise...

Just curious if anyone else felt this way about this tape, or if it's just me....I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

He is high in the mix, but it's not as bad as you're describing throughout the show smiling smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:14

DandelionPowderman
Turning To Gold

He is high in the mix, but it's not as bad as you're describing throughout the show smiling smiley

No, it's worse.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 19:51

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
Turning To Gold

No, it's worse.

Agreed, that was a disappointment.

I was hoping for something at least comparable to the Got Life If You Want It EP.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 24, 2014 21:55

xke38
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

No, it's worse.

I was hoping for something at least comparable to the Got Life If You Want It EP.

De la confiture à des cochons.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 24, 2014 22:04

The trouble with the recording is that in this case it is a straight PA feed. Back in 65 they only put vocals through the PA. All very primitive. So the guitars and drums we hear are all coming through Mick's vocal mic. Occasionally he leans toward an amp with the mic etc.. so we get glimpses of the stage sound in between the vocals. It is very interesting to hear but certainly not a perfect soundboard or anything. Just very rare to hear ANYTHING from 65, let alone anything this clean!

They did a great job restoring the audio considering the original source. You can't make microphones appear that were not originally present.

Regarding the performance I don't think Mick sounds any more arrogant or anything, this is just the tiny details that get smoothed over when you are hearing the entire band together. Interesting but not a recording I will revisit. Still fun to hear once!

Re: Hamburg 1965
Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: April 25, 2014 01:04

Great to hear this! I only wish a decent sounding recording of the European '67 tour would surface.

Date: April 25, 2014 15:47

flacnvinyl
The trouble with the recording is that in this case it is a straight PA feed. Back in 65 they only put vocals through the PA. All very primitive. So the guitars and drums we hear are all coming through Mick's vocal mic. Occasionally he leans toward an amp with the mic etc.. so we get glimpses of the stage sound in between the vocals. It is very interesting to hear but certainly not a perfect soundboard or anything. Just very rare to hear ANYTHING from 65, let alone anything this clean!

They did a great job restoring the audio considering the original source. You can't make microphones appear that were not originally present.

Regarding the performance I don't think Mick sounds any more arrogant or anything, this is just the tiny details that get smoothed over when you are hearing the entire band together. Interesting but not a recording I will revisit. Still fun to hear once!

The Last Time. Listen to the endings of his sentences smiling smiley

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: April 25, 2014 16:34

mitch
xke38
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

No, it's worse.

A new recording from 1965in very good quality is unearthed, and some people are disappointed because it's not a 24-tracks recording mixed by Bob Clearmountain in 5.1 High Definition.
This is by far the release of the year.
Oui, de la confiture aux cochons, bonne définition. Il faut les laisser s'éclater avec le Chuck Leavell Band 2014 et son orgue Bontempi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-25 16:38 by LiveAtHidepark.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 18:19

mitch

If you're making semi-offensive comments, please do so in a language that the majority and not only you or I understand.

Posted by: connection91 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:09

xke38
mitch

If you're making semi-offensive comments, please do so in a language that the majority and not only you or I understand.

I understood, then I don't see where is the trouble!!! Bon, j'avais peut etre des facilites! >grinning smiley<

Date: May 1, 2014 20:45

English, s'il vous plait? smiling smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 2, 2014 13:33

Is the Hamburg show still downloadable somewhere? Unfortunately I missed it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 2, 2014 19:50

saltoftheearth
Is the Hamburg show still downloadable somewhere? Unfortunately I missed it.

Here:
[www.filefactory.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 3, 2014 02:24

DandelionPowderman
flacnvinyl

The Last Time. Listen to the endings of his sentences smiling smiley

Listen to any recording from 1965/66/67 and you'll hear Jagger trailing off on sentences/verses etc... It is part of his style and delivery. The difference is that this is an isolation recording. One audio source... Mick's mic. Thats it. You could hear a booger rattling in his nose easier than you could hear Jones' guitar! So OFCOURSE we hear every little nuance of arrogance! lol!

I honestly can't imagine being such a celebrity that my fans were clamoring for a recording of just me singing through an entire concert. The fun part of the recording is to realize that ALL of the band sound and crowd sound is basically what Mick heard for the show. The mic was a cariod mic used specifically for announcements/preaching/etc... These were the pre-PA days! The crowd was indeed that loud. The band sounded great ONSTAGE. There was no band PA system, just their stage volume.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 3, 2014 02:36

1. Why is this being interpreted as "arrogance"? confused smiley

2. Why is Mick interpreted as being drunk/stoned, rather than just laughing about/responding to things that are happening in the audience, etc.? confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home