Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: O.T. Jack White tour 2014
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 9, 2014 00:50

"It Might Get Loud," just for the record. grinning smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2014 00:55

Aquamarine

Thank you, I have corrected my post.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:21

71Tele
Aquamarine

I love the little jam they had of "In My Time of Dying" (even with the Edge withstanding, or not withstanding, or whatever...)

Date: May 9, 2014 02:24

BluzDude
71Tele
Aquamarine

I love the little jam they had of "In My Time of Dying" (even with the Edge withstanding, or not withstanding, or whatever...)

Me too. My favorite LZ song, with two of my favorite guitarists. smiling smiley

Date: May 9, 2014 02:31

Aquamarine
BluzDude
71Tele
Aquamarine

Me too. My favorite LZ song, with two of my favorite guitarists. smiling smiley

I liked the whole film (ok, most of it) and I am not even a particular fan of any of those three guys. I loved when they got Paige to play "Kashmir".

Date: May 9, 2014 03:32

I liked the whole film a lot, too. Plus one of the outtakes on the DVD is a really great scene of JW playing I Fought Piranhas.

Re: OT: Introducing… The Lazaretto ULTRA LP
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 10, 2014 06:08

Whatever. I like Zep and U2 but dont believe either Page or Edge has White's songwriting chops.

(Certainly neither has shown any interest in pressing vinyl.)

Date: May 10, 2014 08:47

Glam Descendant
Whatever. I like Zep and U2 but dont believe either Page or Edge has White's songwriting chops.

(Certainly neither has shown any interest in pressing vinyl.)

That's an interesting take, as both have written a lot of good songs. And both have pressed plenty of vinyl in their time, so maybe they're over it! It's the youngsters who tend to fetishize vinyl (don't get me worong, I'm glad they do!).

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 10, 2014 15:53

Well I found White's schtick of walking around a battered house with his younger self as if he came from some poor rural blues background as the height of pretense. The man was a carpet layer in downtown Detroit! Neither is Meg his sister, they were married. That whole thing gets in the way of his music, where he seems to be constantly "performing" and rewriting his own history.
I do give him props for saving the Masonic Temple in downtown Detroit. Very cool. And I do like most his music. I was not too impressed with Meg, not a great drummer and a terrible vocalist.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 10, 2014 16:53

I'm a big fan of Jack White. But the guy really can be an a-hole. Walking out on his audience at his first show at Radio City Music Hall in 2012 after a measly 55 minutes is unforgivable. He apparently did not think the crowd was sufficiently energetic. Be wary of these monkeyshines when you're ponying up big bucks for tickets to see him.

When one plays as few gigs as he does, Jack White has to understand that some of his audience is traveling from great distances and at great expenses to see him. For the record, my wife and I drove from DC to NYC (about 225 miles) to see the second RCMH show; he played 80 minutes for that one. Still short, but better.

Ending a show prematurely used to be some sort of misguided symbol of artistic temperament. However, that's a bygone relic of an era when concert tickets were relatively inexpensive (e.g., the face price for my 1978 Stones ticket was $12.50, which was at the extreme high end for the time). With ticket prices having risen considerably in the last 20 years, performers need to respect their audiences' more substantial investments, i.e., be relatively sober and on time, and play full length shows, even if the audiences are perhaps not as energetic as the performers would like.

Date: May 10, 2014 17:20

I would have been livid if I walked out after 55 minutes because he didn't think the crowd was worshiping him enough. That might have soured me on him for a long time.
I also don't like his nastiness toward The Black Keys. It is like some one-sided high school rivalry. The Keys are cool, some great stuff, no need to be so pissy about it.

Date: May 10, 2014 23:36

I was at that show (and the one the next night). It was NOTHING to do with the crowd not being energetic enough, it was the behavior of some jerks down at the front, which they were repeatedly asked (by him and others) to stop. He played nearly a full-length set, he just didn't return for the encore. Was I happy, having traveled from Louisiana for the shows? Of course not. But I could understand it. There is nothing anybody needs to be "wary" of when buying tickets for his shows, which are almost laughably cheap compared to, oh I don't know, the Rolling Stones. winking smiley Just got one in the mail today, $42 including fees. Not exactly "big bucks."

(And there's a lot more to the Black Keys issue too. And he wasn't a carpet layer, he was an upholsterer. And . . )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-10 23:38 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 10, 2014 23:57

great music...but he sounds/acts like a diva....his Dan Auerbach statements are pretty telling...JW should get over himself....

Date: May 11, 2014 00:02

Sometimes there is more than one side to a story, is all. winking smiley

Date: May 11, 2014 01:29

Yup sorry upholsterer. I knew it was some type of decoration background. Forgot, yeah he worked in a small store in Detroit. From what I have read bout the Black Keys beef is he feels they ripped his idea off. Which is silly as he ripped many of his ideas off the sources. Which is cool! I have no problem with that. That is great music when you are inspired to make something different from something which you are really into. I would like to go to his studio and store, I bet it would be a blast and to go during some good shows.

Date: May 11, 2014 01:33

One of his first bands:

The performance space at the store is so small, pretty much all shows there are really cool. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 01:36 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2014 07:15

Wow, some people found a way to not like Jack White. Maybe the absolute best rocker out there today. The Black Keys are okay, but they're basically a retro band without adding to it. White is hyper creative and even some of Zepp like likes are fresh and nicely used.

Why hate Meg? She was great at what she did, and that was to be a primitive rock drummer. She still sounded good. And so what if he toys around with his image? He DID come from a piss poor background in Detroit and worked his way into getting a jog at an upholstery place. Bob Dylan told nothing but lies about his background, and he came from a middle class existence, with his parents running an appliance store.

White's solo album Blunderbuss is better than anything the Stones have come up with in a quarter century. Neil Young just recorded a new album at Third Man Records. And Jack White even pays tribute to the visual side of rock and roll, creating those red and white motifs for the White Stripes. Plus he brings the goods musically. Most of the other acts today look like struggling college kids.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 11, 2014 16:57

Saw The White Stripes at the Exit festival in Serbia in 2005. They were headliners and played for 60 minutes instead of scheduled 90 min, but what an incredible gig... I couldn't take my eyes off Jack, he was on guitar, mandolin, piano, marimba, you name it, he played it... pretty much the same set as their Glasto performance three weeks earlier.

Date: May 13, 2014 05:16

US fans of JW and/or Neil Young, you'll be interested in tonight's Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

The best part, after the show ended:

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/5811

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 11:10 by Aquamarine.

Date: June 3, 2014 20:39

Shreveport, last night. Mind. Blown. And I've seen him 30+ times.

Did a bit of Little Red Rooster, btw. smiling smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:09

that Zep grunge blues and lo-fi was 'different' in the early 2000s...but JW became everybody's darling, including Rolling Stone magazine - which puts him on the cover everytime he exhales.
His persona is pretentious, and affected rock starness is hipsterish....which wouldn't matter if his music wasn't so cold to me.
And his criticisms of the Keys and Gaga come off as supremely smug.
Oh, and he's on the cover of Rolling Stone again.
The rock press has been seduced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-04 00:13 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:12

Glam Descendant
Third Man Records has brought to life many ideas that are new to the century-old vinyl format.

- 180 gram vinyl

Yes - but who needs 180? It does not improve the sound. A waste of plastic really.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:19

Milan
Saw The White Stripes at the Exit festival in Serbia in 2005. They were headliners and played for 60 minutes instead of scheduled 90 min, but what an incredible gig... I couldn't take my eyes off Jack, he was on guitar, mandolin, piano, marimba, you name it, he played it... pretty much the same set as their Glasto performance three weeks earlier.

They were sublime at Glastonbury in 2005. I was right at the front and I was just taking jack's guitar in my face for the whole gig.

One of the few artists around that still has the ability to blow me away.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:29

stupidguy2
that Zep grunge blues and lo-fi was 'different' in the early 2000s...but JW became everybody's darling, including Rolling Stone magazine - which puts him on the cover everytime he exhales.
His persona is pretentious, and affected rock starness is hipsterish....which wouldn't matter if his music wasn't so cold to me.
And his criticisms of the Keys and Gaga come off as supremely smug.
Oh, and he's on the cover of Rolling Stone again.
The rock press has been seduced.

I find it funny that Jack White is criticized for being pretentious, especially from Stones fans. The Stones used to cultivate their image to the last inch. They wanted to be seen wearing the hippest clothes and jewelry. Remember when Mick J got on the glam-train after Bowie? And didn't Mick used to give the mickey to Led Zeppelin? And Jack White is on the cover of Rolling Stone? Heaven forbid! Remember how excited we were every time the Glimmer Twins got a RS cover?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 4, 2014 00:42

.....no one has manicured their image more than Mr Zimmerman

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-04 01:50 by Rockman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 4, 2014 01:08

His new CD is out now, not bad after a couple of listens, but I think I prefer Blunderbuss, beefier production (it can be a good thing!) and more memorable melodies, oh well it should still be a cool concert!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 4, 2014 02:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-02 00:01 by Milan.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2014 23:59

Saw him last night at the Olympia...cool concert but the sound wasn't great, not very loud but still pretty saturated unfortunately, and his voice and especially guitar were rather low in the mix. Interesting band with the girl playing violin/fiddle and singing, a Billy Preston lookalike (circa 2002 and Harrison concert, not 1973!) and bearded roadies, hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: July 2, 2014 00:08

Date: July 2, 2014 00:17

gotdablouse
His new CD is out now, not bad after a couple of listens, but I think I prefer Blunderbuss, beefier production (it can be a good thing!) and more memorable melodies, oh well it should still be a cool concert!

For reasons I can't put my finger on, I like the new one a zillion times more than Blunderbuss, it just feels a bit less "safe," I dunno . . Anyway the live shows have been spectacular. Got six more lined up!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home