Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What is your personal point of view about the Stones?
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 12, 2014 21:19

reading many discussions in this forum many people judge the Stones like an old act unable to make new music and they need only "open the vaults" and listen warehorses...My personal opinion is that they still could make another very good album...There are many Bands that still make good new music after 30-40 years (Stranglers, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Sabbath and so on...)What is your personal point of view about the Stones?!

Re: What is your personal point of view about the Stones?
Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: April 12, 2014 21:26

I believe they COULD make another good album but have made there last already. at this point of the game any concerts are a bonus. it is amazing that they are even still together on tour. enjoy every bit you can. drinking smiley it all could come to an end at any time.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 12, 2014 21:42

This is a band that loves playing live, with 600 original songs to draw on, of which 20 or so are among the greatest rock and roll songs of all - why waste precious time trying to make a new record when they can still be out there giving it their last shot ?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:02

They are my favorite band. Now that they are older, they may not play as fast and as hard as they used to but it is still a very exciting rock and roll band to go to see perform live.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:05

mailexile67
My personal opinion is that they still could make another very good album...

So why haven't they made it since 2005? (or rather, if we are talking about VERY GOOD album - since mid 80s)

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:28

They are absolute heroes and i'd love a new album but how many would listen is another story. As it is plenty of Stones fans themselves pour scorn over their later work so why bother (they may feel). I'm firmly of the belief they are as great as ever and their studio work is too on their most recent albums but quite simply they are no longer on the zeitgest, no longer a cultural phonomenon which is fine but every time they take to that stage i'm proud to call myself a Rolling Stones fan. There is nobody like them. I have nothing but respect!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:35

I believe they could definitely make a new album, and a very good one at that. If they do I hope it's not over produced. Something like Steel Wheels stripped down sounded much better to me. Imagine if Bigger Bang was done like that. Maybe there's a bootleg of that somewhere? Now that would be a real catch!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:43

Of course they can make a another good album. But will they?

If not, I'd would love to see the Stones open up the vaults (as much as they're able too, considering the ABKCO thing).

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 12, 2014 22:53

...I am waiting.......an other new studio album!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 12, 2014 23:17

mailexile67
My personal opinion is that they still could make another very good album

Based on what? Sounds more like a dream to me.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 12, 2014 23:26

frankotero
I believe they could definitely make a new album, and a very good one at that. If they do I hope it's not over produced. Something like Steel Wheels stripped down sounded much better to me. Imagine if Bigger Bang was done like that. Maybe there's a bootleg of that somewhere? Now that would be a real catch!

Well said frankotero.......it´s that shitty polished production that ruin their sound............so keep open the faults and let them play live.....

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: April 12, 2014 23:27

I do not expect my parents to provide me with the same things/ways I recall them do (with great love) 30 years ago. I've grown up - so they. They (parents) became "old" - I became an adult. I think my parents can still do many of the things they did before - but do not expect them to. Growing up taught me that live are much different then what they seem to be when you look as a child on other people, from the side. There are many examples to that, but no point in counting them. We all know how life changes people and makes any type of "group effort" nearly impossible when involving a given group of people that are defined on a base of "being together when 20 years old". There is always that one who wishes we "all get together like in the old times" but he is "that one" - and in great minority.

I have no problem duplicating this understanding the dynamics of life into the world of "groups of people" I take as my favorite entertainment providers. I actually pretty much look up at them knowing they managed to "keep on going" in this way, or another. Not until long ago I was half their age... One day I closed my facebook account as people kept nagging me about some "X years after - high school reunion". Didnt want to say "NO" but just felt too tired and indifferent to spare an evening and since facebook was the only way I was found easily (and since that media is in decline anyway) I just went the other way. And these 4 Old guys still manage to get their arse and hookup for weeks of work together. I appreciate them. I'm pretty sure that one day, years after they will be gone forever with no reunion possible - most of us would wish we could go back to the days ranting about boring setlists, "Miss You again" and Taylor doing 1.25 numbers per gig, and not 25...

Posted by: connection91 ()
Date: April 12, 2014 23:28

The some girls deluxe edition gave you a great new album. 30 years ago when you got this same outtakes in worse quality you were happy. You got these same songs in great quality in 2010 and it counts for me as a new album. What is a new album, new songs or the latest record edited, regardless when the songs were recorded. Tattoo you was made as a new record with more or less old recordings and it was a new record. I don't care if the songs are recorded recently. If songs are good, record will be good. In that way, I think they could make 1 or 2 good albums if they open the vaults.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2014 05:17

There's a good album in there somewhere, probably would blow us away.

However well Mick and Keith seem to be getting along on tour, I don't think that congeniality would extend to sitting together and writing new songs though.

Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed...so yeah, keep opening the vaults.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 13, 2014 05:44

I believe they could make a great new album. But thats because I loved A Bigger Bang and its the only Stones album post Tattoo You that I truly like. Beyond all odds, after 25 years they shocked me with a new release. I'd love to see them bring that kind of energy to a new album with Mick Taylor, but at this age I just really don't think they'd have it in them. They have too much other stuff going on and I don't think they'll ever go back to that mindset of making a new record.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 13, 2014 06:08

I have no inside info or anything so I don't know what really happened? They once put out hit after hit in the 60's and then the greatest albums of rock in the 70's. Not much listenable in my opinion since Tattoo though and this coming from a lifelong fan. Did Ian's passing have such an impact they just couldn't write any more? Or is it really the Jagger/Richards feud that's caused theloss of their spark? I don't really know. Trends change and maybe they just can't find a way to fit into the music scene any more. I for one haven't believed they have another good album in them though and for my part they can retire any time.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2014 08:19

I think they could only make one more album for the love of it. They'd have to really want to make one. And they wouldn't have to please anybody but themselves. They wouldn't even have to try and sound current, although I thought Doom & Gloom was very interesting. One more album would be for the fans. I have the highest respect for the Rolling Stones as artists, although I'm admittedly bored with the current Greatest Hits Tour. I guess it's a disappointment that they don't nail down some blues, or include all past and present Stones on a record. But they've given me more than any group, including the Beatles.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: April 13, 2014 09:37

They don't seem to be interested in making a new album. You get the feeling they thought 'A Bigger Bang' was their swansong. IMO they would be wise to start working on the stuff in their vaults which is thought to contain a vast amount of unreleased material. Going with more deluxe versions of albums or some kind of box-set of rarities packaging.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 13, 2014 11:22

I am still hopeful! I love Doom and Gloom and really love SuperHeavy!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: April 13, 2014 12:49

They has been a "Current" Band till the end of '90...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 13, 2014 13:13

mailexile67
reading many discussions in this forum many people judge the Stones like an old act unable to make new music and they need only "open the vaults" and listen warehorses...My personal opinion is that they still could make another very good album...There are many Bands that still make good new music after 30-40 years (Stranglers, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Sabbath and so on...)What is your personal point of view about the Stones?!

when i was sleeping out on the streets of chicago to get tix in the 80s
some dude walked by and asked what we were doing
he laughed when we told him and said "i saw them in 72 and they were already over the hill"
i think he summed it up pretty well.
but they're still a great live act.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: April 13, 2014 14:52

They could still make a good new album but they need a younger, hipper producer like Jack White. They need to write, practise, rehearse as a full band or at least the core 4. Mick Jagger shouldn't be teaching Ronnie guitar parts sort of thing. Make it organic. It would take time but the net result would likely be great.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:09

A new album of country and blues songs (mostly original with a few covers) would be amazing and dignified at their age. But they seem to write with stadiums in mind, rather than repeated listens in lounge rooms for 30 years now.

Van Halen recently did a great job of reworking, rerecording and adding old ideas to create a fantastic new album. Going by the dressed up tracks on the deluxe editions, the stones could easily do the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 15:13 by jammingedward.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:30

My person POV? They are my one and only favorite band and I love them. I hope for a new album, and yearn for more tour dates. I've had Ya Ya's on my car CD player for a week or so now, haven't gotten tired of it yet. I know that most nights they can't play like that anymore, but they are still a wonder live.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:37

I believe the ability is there, but what is lacking is the will to get together for the necessary time when all of them have other commitments. For a tour they will do it, but not for an album - hardly surprising when shows sell well and make money, while new material is often poorly received - most poorly by some of their most committed fans - and sells in small numbers. It has become received wisdom that they can't Write any more and should do old country or blues material, and sadly they seem to believe it. I wish they would just say to hell with it and do an album to please themselves, but it ain't gonna happen while they are still on the road.

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:38

They can do what they want now. If they record more albums - great, same if they tour. I can't see them due to lack of funds, but if they put out an album I'll buy it (have no iPod) & anything from the vaults is a big bonus. But it's up to them.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: April 13, 2014 15:50

An album country & blues & ballads & 1-2 covers these type styles / genres:........ Lounge- bluesy-R&B type stop the balls out rocker attempts at age 70.. things change play to your roots, strengths & ages......Like "stripped" but with new material a resurrection is waiting & Taylor made lol for a late career rebirth / resurgence. Just my opinion but maybe the "well is dry" & the tank empty for artisitic creation. Even Dylan said he couldn't write from 1990-1996. Virtually 1 album since 1997 big ugh!

Dead Flowers
Torn & Frayed
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
100 years ago
Far Away Eyes
Let Me Down Slow
We Had It All
No SPare PArts
Evening Gown (Mick solo)

etc etc

Bluesy side:

Fancyman Blues
Back Of my Hand
Cook Cook Blues
Down In The Hole
The Storm
Under The Radar
No Expectations
Love Is Strong

Ballads type:

Almost Hear You Sigh
Laugh I Nearly Died
No Use In Crying
Blue etc etc

Learning The Game & Bob Wills Is Still king came off great imo.

1-2 covers Motown Can't Turn You loose, Mr Pitiful, Can't Get next to you, I'll Go Crazy, Can't Get Next to you, Night Time Is The Right Time, For Your Precious Love, Can't be satisfied, Goin' Down, Champagne & Reefer, Thats How Strong My Love Is... This type stuff please... or Chuck Berry covers

At their ages this type stuff would be their "wheelhouse" and would probably generate first critical acclaim in quite some time.

Even if they cannot write songs of caliber of the abovementioned, simply this type style over generic rockers or sex laden lyrics... Stlylistic change for their last stages ala Johnny Cash American Recordings... Add to the legacy guys!

Stones camp reading......???

Imagine them changing to this and doing 3-4 albums over 6-7 yrs like Dylan reinvented himself into the country bluesman balladeer / crooner with albums like: Time Out Of Mind, Love & Theft, Modern Times, Together Through Life, Tempest.

Rough Justice, Shes' So Cold. All The Way Down, Star Star type song days should be done with........ Rekindle

The MEZ

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-13 20:06 by The Mez.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2014 16:39

Bliss
I am still hopeful! I love Doom and Gloom and really love SuperHeavy!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: April 13, 2014 17:09

Having been a hardcore-fan since 1963 I now think that it has become a bit boring to hear their "Best of..." songlists over and over again. I have seen them here in Germany more that 20 times over the last 50 years and I admit I have tried to get tickets for their Berlin show, but the prices the scalpers want are way too high for a retired attorney...
I prefer to listen to bootleg versions of some of their old songs - they are in my eyes better than what they deliver nowadays. Even Lisa has lost a lot of her original power. That is normal, because age takes its toll.
Please do not shit-storm me when I say that the boys' best times are over.
Ruediger

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 13, 2014 18:53

After the last tour, I am proud to be their fan. They've made up for some of those crummy tours of the past, sounding authentic and true to themselves right now. They are also nice people and have been true blue to their current sidemen. Part of the "problem" with Bill returning is they don't have it in them to fire Darrell.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home