Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How fast selling is doing? Are the Stones becoming Dion
Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 23, 2005 21:50

I read contradictory reports in these posts about selling in the US ? Where is the truth. What do the Stones prefer for posterity : play 2 Giants Satdiums or a single one with great difficulties? Play 2 Soldier Fields or one ? Has Rock which is supposed to the lives of Mick, Keith and Charlie turned to Las Vegas ? Do the Stones want to desperate the guy next door, youngsters who could have the opportunity for the last time to hear and live for 2 hours the greatest Rock Band of History . The deep fan base of Keith and Charlie is street fighting man and not the CEO of Pfizer. The latter better attend Celine Dion Tour. I prefer
Springsteen selling out 5 NJ Stadiums for people who transpirate for Rock.

Re: How fast selling is doing? Are the Stones becoming Dion
Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 23, 2005 23:58

There's nothing wrong with Vegas. Sometimes I think the Stones could benefit from such a move as Celine Dion made. Her show there is an unbelievably entertaining and technically brilliant extravaganza. I doubt that we'll see anything nearly as adventurous and innovative as Celine's production from our boys. Now that would be worth $450 a seat! It's interesting to ponder however.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 24, 2005 01:25

Duane, please tell me that your post is pure irony...

Date: May 24, 2005 08:23

No irony intended at all. Have you seen the Celine show in Vegas? I found it to be state of the art "concert" brilliance in every respect. Truly amazing. I'm not a dedicated Celine fan by any stretch (although she is arguably the best female vocalist alive) but the technical concepts used there would put the Stones into a whole new strata of performance experience. Something like the "2000 Light Years From Home " performance of Steel Wheels, but on every song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 24, 2005 09:01

Give me a break...I can't believe my eyes.

Isn't this a Rolling Stones board?

Celinne Dion has no place on a Stones board!!!

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 24, 2005 09:25

I just wish those that use the word would learn the meaning of irony.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-24 12:24 by monkey man.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2005 11:19

This thread is surreal. Duane, are you on acid?

Mathijs

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: May 24, 2005 11:27

I often actually also thought about this idea that they should do multiple concerts in less cities than reaching out to every place.
This is what I liked about LICKS. The city had always a special feeling when the Stones stayed for a week or so. But I wouldn't go that far and make a RS show only in Vegas. Mick would be bored by the time of the opening of the theatre and keith would probably blow the whole thing the first night to set him free.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 24, 2005 11:31

"(although she is arguably the best female vocalist alive)" god help us!!! Its like banging on about vibrato.....

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 24, 2005 12:23

LOL!

Date: May 24, 2005 19:55

I am sober as a judge. The question remains, have you seen Celines Vegas show? If you haven't then you can't really know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Celine. I'm talking about her "live concert production". As I watched it I couldn't stop thinking about how this could be applied to other "rock" acts that are already trying to provide a "show" along with the music itself. To skeptics I say plunk down your money, check out her show at Caesers Palace and get back to me on this subject.

DIIIISSS - MISSED !!!!

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 24, 2005 20:43

Well Duane as much as i respect your question here I must say that it's
a bit odd comparing Celine Dion with the Stones.
The Stones will not try to grow old gracefully and become a Vegas act.
They might play there on an odd occasion or two but it will be during a
world tour and not as a standing act. That wouldn't suit them at all!

HJofSweden

Date: May 24, 2005 21:06

The Stones have already blazed the trails and laid the foundation for "live stage concert productions", and special effects. Celine is probably copying something she saw during the Steel Wheels tour. Perhaps she's snatched a few things from the Voodoo, Bridges, and 40Licks tours as well. All other bands, including U2, have borrowed heavily from the Stones (except maybe Pink Floyd). The Stones will never have to copy anybody, they've already done it all themselves.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 24, 2005 21:07

I dislike Celine Dion as much as many here, but Diane made a point. Only people who have watched the show can emit a judgment.

Besides, I found quite funny that a bunch of rock afficionados became so conservative. It is upside down, we are now the establishment

So "Would you let your son date with Celine ?" is a perfect echo of "Would you like your daughter date with a Rolling Stone ?"

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 24, 2005 21:20

One could argue that since Steel Wheels the Stones have already gone a little Vegas:

Fireworks
Stage Costumes
Inflatable Dolls
Torches
Mammoth Stages
Exclusionary Ticket Prices
The hydraulic "Bridge" walkway
The Cage
The Internet request line

I'm not saying that, but one could argue.....

Karl

Date: May 24, 2005 21:35

That was pretty much my point...the Stones have already been there and done that.
I'm not saying that the're completely "Vegas" either, but it definitely is something to debate.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 24, 2005 22:16

My intention was obviously not to compare The Stones to CĂ©line Dion. She has her public, the Stones their own. What disturbed me is that both of these publics can mix at Stones OnStage. We have attended many concerts between the Golden Stadiums Age built by Mick and Keith starting in 1980's and culminating with Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle. Gazza wrote sometimes and here that he hoped the Stones will leave gracefully. I do suscribe 200 % to that postulate. BV spend hours for this great forum to live on in a superb manner. Others, like me, die hard fans want the Stones leave as the Greatest in front of large audience and not Vegas. Where is Dartford, where is Edith Grove. Why can the Boss still align with his believes and not the Stones. U2 are certainly a great band, at the moment.... I enrage to watch these selling out 8 MSG in few minutes.
I do not believe in the theory of fan base shrinking. If the album is pure Stones, then it will come naturally. I have a dream : see once again Bill and Taylor playing with Charlie, Mick and Keith at Wembley. It's too much of a demand.But hearing for ever Keith soloing his riffs with Taylor on Tumblin' Dice or Gimme Shelter. Back to earth, I will be anyway in Wembley with my family.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 24, 2005 22:52

I just downloaded a 45min extract of this Celine Dion Vegas concert from Bearshare...It's not comparable to a Stones concert, because it's like a musical. It's well arranged, however the special effects are not really worth mentioning.
I just can't imagine that anyone here would get more thrills from watching this show than from watching a Stones concert.

But her voice is fantastic indeed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home