Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Undercover the album
Date: April 20, 2014 19:43

grinning smiley

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 05:42

Probably a better record than I ever gave it credit for being. Some good stuff but over all always considered weak.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2014 16:39

24FPS
And pedestrian because songs like Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, and Too Much Blood (which I just listened to again, just for you) don't go anywhere. There's a lot of repeating the title over and over, but the songs have no depth

Huh.

Songs that repeat the title over and over.

Yes, they've never done that before.

Hilarious that you mention the three most inventive and creative songs on the album as being pedestrian. Some people think they are subjective when listening to music but that is not always the case. Some people just don't get some things.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:10

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Glam Descendant
>Overall Dirty Work, although not a great Stones album by any stretch, is still hands down much better than Undercover.

Have you revisited UC also? Didn't you admit you only played it once or twice when it first came out and haven't heard it since? (I haven't read this whole thread but I seem to recall that from early on.)

I've gone back and listened to the cuts. UCOTN is fantastic, She Was Hot is a good B-side. But the other ones are really pedestrian. It would be hard to think of a lesser Rolling Stones album than this one. I might have even thrown it away. I had a habit in the late 70s of using albums I expected a lot from and using them as Frisbees, because I knew I'd never listen to them again no matter how high the stature of the artist. I think Steve Miller's follow up to Fly Like An Eagle ended up as a flying disc.

I can't even remember what happened to my original vinyl album of Undercover. I have most of the Stones CDs and DVDs arranged chronologically, but for some reason I never feel the urge to replace it with an Undercover CD. (Well, I know the reason, but I'm being diplomatic.) Just be happy that your ears are happy with the album, because look what I'm missing. smileys with beer

Out of curiosity, how do you define pedestrian?

Because the Stones never did anything like UCOTN, Feel On Baby or Too Much Blood in the past. Add Tie You Up, She Was Hot and Too Tough, which are good rockers (that's not very controversial) - then your conclusion seems "pre-determined", and not very musically based?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'musically based'. My conclusions are very subjective. Music goes in my ears and is enjoyed or rejected, period. Just because you do something that's new, doesn't mean its any good. Satanic Majesties was brimming with new sounds, many of which are unlistenable. (And is similar to Undercover, a couple excellent cuts, and a lot of mess.)

I have made it quite clear that the song Undercover Of The Night is an incredible, A-Plus Stones production, and probably their last great single. She Was Hot is a fun B-side. The rest of it does not engage me. It's like trying to get me to like the Grateful Dead, you can play it over and over again, but my 'musically based' conclusion is the same.

And pedestrian because songs like Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, and Too Much Blood (which I just listened to again, just for you) don't go anywhere. There's a lot of repeating the title over and over, but the songs have no depth.

And again, I'm sure there are songs that tickle my ears that would nauseate yours. And repeated listening won't change that. drinking smiley

24FPS, I fear your resolve is weakening...you're beginning to see some bright spots on the album. Pretty soon you'll like Too Tough, All The Way Down, It Must Be Hell (hey, it's an Exile rip-off, but you like Exile!). Once you get to liking half the album, you'll have reached a tipping point.

Wanna Hold You and Pretty Beat Up will be next...pretty soon, there will only be one or two songs you don't like. Then the only one you won't like will be Too Much Blood. Then you'll soften on it, and just be indifferent to it. THEN, you'll go back and listen to the lyrics and think, "actually, Mick is pretty funny here"...THEN you'll dance a bit to it.

FINALLY, it will be your favourite song on your 6th favourite Stones album. Or something like that anyway.

Yes, Treaclefingers, I will awake one golden morning and change. Darryl will be my favorite Stones bassist and I'll collect every soundboard available of Chuck on Midnight Rambler. Every hackneyed Sad Sad Sad/Had It With You/Flip the Switch will stuff my Ipod full. Hell, I'll even turn up the Grateful Dead's Franklin Tower and Roll Away the Dew as I spasticize the white man falling down the stairs dance. It will be so much easier then. I will see the light and it will blind me. I will hear the truth and it will deafen me. Finally.... I will be easily amused.smileys with beer

I hate it when you get sarcastic. You had me until you said 'Every hackneyed...'.

I knew then you were just playing me. sad smiley

Date: April 26, 2014 19:26

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2014 21:03

treaclefingers
24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Glam Descendant
>Overall Dirty Work, although not a great Stones album by any stretch, is still hands down much better than Undercover.

Have you revisited UC also? Didn't you admit you only played it once or twice when it first came out and haven't heard it since? (I haven't read this whole thread but I seem to recall that from early on.)

I've gone back and listened to the cuts. UCOTN is fantastic, She Was Hot is a good B-side. But the other ones are really pedestrian. It would be hard to think of a lesser Rolling Stones album than this one. I might have even thrown it away. I had a habit in the late 70s of using albums I expected a lot from and using them as Frisbees, because I knew I'd never listen to them again no matter how high the stature of the artist. I think Steve Miller's follow up to Fly Like An Eagle ended up as a flying disc.

I can't even remember what happened to my original vinyl album of Undercover. I have most of the Stones CDs and DVDs arranged chronologically, but for some reason I never feel the urge to replace it with an Undercover CD. (Well, I know the reason, but I'm being diplomatic.) Just be happy that your ears are happy with the album, because look what I'm missing. smileys with beer

Because the Stones never did anything like UCOTN, Feel On Baby or Too Much Blood in the past. Add Tie You Up, She Was Hot and Too Tough, which are good rockers (that's not very controversial) - then your conclusion seems "pre-determined", and not very musically based?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'musically based'. My conclusions are very subjective. Music goes in my ears and is enjoyed or rejected, period. Just because you do something that's new, doesn't mean its any good. Satanic Majesties was brimming with new sounds, many of which are unlistenable. (And is similar to Undercover, a couple excellent cuts, and a lot of mess.)

I have made it quite clear that the song Undercover Of The Night is an incredible, A-Plus Stones production, and probably their last great single. She Was Hot is a fun B-side. The rest of it does not engage me. It's like trying to get me to like the Grateful Dead, you can play it over and over again, but my 'musically based' conclusion is the same.

And pedestrian because songs like Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, and Too Much Blood (which I just listened to again, just for you) don't go anywhere. There's a lot of repeating the title over and over, but the songs have no depth.

And again, I'm sure there are songs that tickle my ears that would nauseate yours. And repeated listening won't change that. drinking smiley

24FPS, I fear your resolve is weakening...you're beginning to see some bright spots on the album. Pretty soon you'll like Too Tough, All The Way Down, It Must Be Hell (hey, it's an Exile rip-off, but you like Exile!). Once you get to liking half the album, you'll have reached a tipping point.

Wanna Hold You and Pretty Beat Up will be next...pretty soon, there will only be one or two songs you don't like. Then the only one you won't like will be Too Much Blood. Then you'll soften on it, and just be indifferent to it. THEN, you'll go back and listen to the lyrics and think, "actually, Mick is pretty funny here"...THEN you'll dance a bit to it.

FINALLY, it will be your favourite song on your 6th favourite Stones album. Or something like that anyway.

Yes, Treaclefingers, I will awake one golden morning and change. Darryl will be my favorite Stones bassist and I'll collect every soundboard available of Chuck on Midnight Rambler. Every hackneyed Sad Sad Sad/Had It With You/Flip the Switch will stuff my Ipod full. Hell, I'll even turn up the Grateful Dead's Franklin Tower and Roll Away the Dew as I spasticize the white man falling down the stairs dance. It will be so much easier then. I will see the light and it will blind me. I will hear the truth and it will deafen me. Finally.... I will be easily amused.smileys with beer

I hate it when you get sarcastic. You had me until you said 'Every hackneyed...'.

You mean I still had you at 'Darryl will be my favorite Stones bassist?' Sarcasm is a power, and with great power comes no responsibility.

Date: April 27, 2014 03:54

24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
treaclefingers
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Glam Descendant

You mean I still had you at 'Darryl will be my favorite Stones bassist?' Sarcasm is a power, and with great power comes no responsibility.

who are you?! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 27, 2014 04:03

treacle, you made my day

Date: April 29, 2014 05:11

flacnvinyl
treacle, you made my day

I honestly wasn't trying to be sarcastic, yet there ya go.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:40

treaclefingers
flacnvinyl
treacle, you made my day

I honestly wasn't trying to be sarcastic, yet there ya go.

Thank god. I thought this post was going to go away.

Date: April 29, 2014 21:40

Undercover - excellent album. The writing is strong. Its a band effort. the only song I really dont like is "It Must Be Hell". Not so much for the auto-ripoff; but because it is just a klme mid tempo plodder, that they try in vain to pick up with every trick they can come up with. "ooh ooh's",and the gradual build-up into... more midtempo; and that dreadful percussion that comes in at the end.
But overall I have to give the Stones MAJOR props for both those 80 albums on the sound. everyone lost it in the 80s. They went behind Linn Drums and Synclaviers; the guitars went wire thin, disappearing in too much chorus f/x. Stones by and large stayed true.
that is why Dirty Work is not THAt bad of an album. For sure we'd all see that album differently, had they toured behind it. Stones have historically been masters at developing songs on live stage, and turning them into classics. (Streets of Love was getting better and better).
UC and DW are both rock albums. Maybe that is why Jagger didnt want to tour them in the 80s.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 04:00

Billy Idol at an Undercover session (from his new autobiography):

Date: January 2, 2015 17:49

SweetThing
franzk
They didn't promote it enough: they didn't tour behind it and the three videos they made were too violent and explicit to be aired on MTV on regular basis.

Undercover, She was Hot and Too Much Blood got plenty of rotation on MTV. The time just wasn't right..people were bored with the Stones I guess....

This is hilarious.

Consider the previous video singles! All of them, with exception to Waiting On A Friend and the excellent Neighbours, showed them only miming hilariously awfully to the song going back to Angie.

So the video singles for UNDERCOVER were an entirely new direction for the Stones. They had the run of SOME GIRLS, silly videos, tour, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, goofy videos, TATTOO YOU, silly and brilliant videos and tour plus a live album - it probably was a good decision to not tour. And to do something else: the cinematic videos to promote UNDERCOVER.

Besides, if you listen to UNDERCOVER it's not exactly an album that screams 'tour me' or 'play me live'. Their live performances of UOTN and She Was Hot over the years have been awful at best. Wanna Hold You was decent.

Perhaps the video singles for UNDERCOVER were a bit too much at the time. You've got Whacko prancing around ghouling it up with dance moves to goofy safe clean pop music while Keith's swinging a chainsaw and pistol around to a guitaring thumping jarring rock tune that's designed for the dance floor (or the band actually being too funny ie over the heads of the viewers in She Was Hot or Mick flopping around like a dying fish on a dock all wigged out and leering in Too Much Blood). Too much of a change for the kiddies of the emerging MTV? Nevertheless, they're hilariously brilliant.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 17:56

Always loved this one; it's a sign of how good the band are that a lesser regarded work such as this album is so enjoyable, and still sounds so good today.

'Undercover' is not in the same league as the band's more iconic works, but I have to say I find it hard to fault as the majority of it I really like, with some tunes being from the top drawer; Undercover of the Night, Too Much Blood, Tie You Up. The Stones even managed to hit a contemporary nerve with the title track and it's accompanying video; the title track has been named by Jack White and Ian Astbury as their favourite Stones song. And it is a killer, 20 years into the career and on album Number 17, at the time an eternity for a rock band; yet in 1983 they sounded so raunchy, sleazy, decadent, and, with the title track and video, controversial and contemporary.

It may be inferior to Beggars, Exile...etc, of course it is, but, it still had that indefinable spark, that extra factor that made it a Stones album, and in my opinion, a damn fine Stones album. The sexual and violent content still mgave it that hint of danger that one associates with the best Stones releases.

Not a major album, but a fine album with definite traces of the old magic running throughout. Severely underrated methinks.

Date: January 2, 2015 17:57

GasLightStreet
SweetThing
franzk
They didn't promote it enough: they didn't tour behind it and the three videos they made were too violent and explicit to be aired on MTV on regular basis.

Undercover, She was Hot and Too Much Blood got plenty of rotation on MTV. The time just wasn't right..people were bored with the Stones I guess....

This is hilarious.

Consider the previous video singles! All of them, with exception to Waiting On A Friend and the excellent Neighbours, showed them only miming hilariously awfully to the song going back to Angie.

So the video singles for UNDERCOVER were an entirely new direction for the Stones. They had the run of SOME GIRLS, silly videos, tour, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, goofy videos, TATTOO YOU, silly and brilliant videos and tour plus a live album - it probably was a good decision to not tour. And to do something else: the cinematic videos to promote UNDERCOVER.

Besides, if you listen to UNDERCOVER it's not exactly an album that screams 'tour me' or 'play me live'. Their live performances of UOTN and She Was Hot over the years have been awful at best. Wanna Hold You was decent.

Perhaps the video singles for UNDERCOVER were a bit too much at the time. You've got Whacko prancing around ghouling it up with dance moves to goofy safe clean pop music while Keith's swinging a chainsaw and pistol around to a guitaring thumping jarring rock tune that's designed for the dance floor (or the band actually being too funny ie over the heads of the viewers in She Was Hot or Mick flopping around like a dying fish on a dock all wigged out and leering in Too Much Blood). Too much of a change for the kiddies of the emerging MTV? Nevertheless, they're hilariously brilliant.

There was a bit of a sea change in music around 1983/84. I just remember that year as being the time I started University and a whole slew of newer bands really made it mainstream, and massive new albums by U2, the Police, Bowie, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Prince, Madonna, Cindy Lauper and as you pointed out Michael Jackson I think the Stones were shunted to the side. They'd saturated the market in the previous 5 years so it was time for something new.

They could have put out another Exile and it probably would have gotten the same sort of muted reaction, no matter how many videos they did.

I do think though that UC is a great album...their last great album.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 2, 2015 18:56

Undercover was a victim of the change of the whole music world around late 1982 and 1983, a different era, pop music, early metal and alternative exploding at the same time, even the album was released almost on Christmas season with a lot of strong albums at the same time, it reached #4 with Jacko, the Police and Lionel Richie in front of them.

Date: January 2, 2015 20:12

georgelicks
Undercover was a victim of the change of the whole music world around late 1982 and 1983, a different era, pop music, early metal and alternative exploding at the same time, even the album was released almost on Christmas season with a lot of strong albums at the same time, it reached #4 with Jacko, the Police and Lionel Richie in front of them.

And ironically the Stones were up for the change and delivered a great, different sounding album.

I think they had no chance though, there was just too much new and really good other music to choose from.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 2, 2015 20:38

treaclefingers
georgelicks

And ironically the Stones were up for the change and delivered a great, different sounding album.

I think they had no chance though, there was just too much new and really good other music to choose from.

In hindsight, possibly it really might appear as the fatal thing, what theGreek remarked in the Track talk thread for "Summer Romance", not to tour the album EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

TheGreek
the big issue for the album emotional rescue is there was no tour to properly support the new album . think of it like this if the stones toured in support of this fine album ,then we would hear live ,summer romance, where the boys go, down in the hole (which is by far one of the best blues tracks the glimmers have ever recorded).then we would all be rocking out to them in a big way a-la start me up. there lies the sin of the glimmers that they did not tour to support this masterpiece of an album (i know i can hear all the naysayers bashing this ).i know the stones touring model was every three years and this was in between some girls tour 1978 and the tattoo you tour 1981 .this was a album with very good songwriting as opposed to other albums that the glimmers mined the vaults .i do know that a lot of these tracks go back to the pathe marconi sessions .a lot of these tracks along with the some girls album were recorded in anticipation of Keiths upcoming legal issues in Canada and so the stones wanted to lay down a lot of tracks to cover some girls album and beyond .nothing wrong with that !

Because, and now I have to admit that I don't know if TheGreek would agree, if they had, the result might have been for the following period that the band could have had a stronger fanbase, and somewhat less based on the nostalgia oriented factor that touring on TATTOO YOU provided for (if I may seek support for that very last point of view in posts that Doxa has come up with). With such a more solid and less nostalgic fanbase, the Stones could have had a more firm basebase to rely on when the structural changes of the rock scene set in towards the mid '80s with its divisions between an "overground" of 80's pop and various underground alternative scenes.

Or to repeat something from another thread, what I was better able to say then than now:

Witness
Then what is at work, is the combined effect of two or three (or even four) factors behind what in a too simplified point of view may appear as a, claimed, more or less unprovoked loss of their muse. a) The growing conservatism of the aging fanbase (and its musical generations), b) the increasing difficulty of an elder rock band to attract new generations in order to renew their fanbase, when the band was a stadium venues concert band, and c) the contrasting attitudes between Mick and Keith towards musical innovation vs remaining within their created musical universe.

And when I say that is a too simplified point of view, against which I argue, it is also because the last two albums made with eyes fixed forward, not backward (TATTOO YOU), before this alleged loss of muse, were enterprising albums in my perspective (EMOTIONAL RESCUE and, especially(?) UNDERCOVER).

Add to the mentionned combined effects, d) the difficult situation of the band exposed not to one surrounding scene, but to the split simultaneous presence of a musical "overground" and an underground, the latter consisting of various and different scenes of independent labels and venues for a longer period. Neither of them, that positively oriented towards an older major band's attempts to renew itself, but with a view preferably to make new idols or, alternatively, radical new musical expressions. At best, willing to show the old Stones as the old Stones.

The big question is, with the possible effect of a somewhat firmer fanbase then from earlier having toured EMOTIONAL RESCUE, if UNDERCOVER might have come suffiently better out of it among this stratum of the rock scene, to urge the Stones to go on rather soon to create new, enterprising and inspired music.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:30

Love Keith's song Wanna hold you! I believe it was played on the Bridges tour 1997.

Date: January 2, 2015 22:36

Witness
treaclefingers
georgelicks

In hindsight, possibly it really might appear as the fatal thing, what theGreek remarked in the Track talk thread for "Summer Romance", not to tour the album EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

TheGreek
the big issue for the album emotional rescue is there was no tour to properly support the new album . think of it like this if the stones toured in support of this fine album ,then we would hear live ,summer romance, where the boys go, down in the hole (which is by far one of the best blues tracks the glimmers have ever recorded).then we would all be rocking out to them in a big way a-la start me up. there lies the sin of the glimmers that they did not tour to support this masterpiece of an album (i know i can hear all the naysayers bashing this ).i know the stones touring model was every three years and this was in between some girls tour 1978 and the tattoo you tour 1981 .this was a album with very good songwriting as opposed to other albums that the glimmers mined the vaults .i do know that a lot of these tracks go back to the pathe marconi sessions .a lot of these tracks along with the some girls album were recorded in anticipation of Keiths upcoming legal issues in Canada and so the stones wanted to lay down a lot of tracks to cover some girls album and beyond .nothing wrong with that !

Because, and now I have to admit that I don't know if TheGreek would agree, if they had, the result might have been for the following period that the band could have had a stronger fanbase, and somewhat less based on the nostalgia oriented factor that touring on TATTOO YOU provided for (if I may seek support for that very last point of view in posts that Doxa has come up with). With such a more solid and less nostalgic fanbase, the Stones could have had a more firm basebase to rely on when the structural changes of the rock scene set in towards the mid '80s with its divisions between an "overground" of 80's pop and various underground alternative scenes.

Or to repeat something from another thread, what I was better able to say then than now:

Witness
Then what is at work, is the combined effect of two or three (or even four) factors behind what in a too simplified point of view may appear as a, claimed, more or less unprovoked loss of their muse. a) The growing conservatism of the aging fanbase (and its musical generations), b) the increasing difficulty of an elder rock band to attract new generations in order to renew their fanbase, when the band was a stadium venues concert band, and c) the contrasting attitudes between Mick and Keith towards musical innovation vs remaining within their created musical universe.

And when I say that is a too simplified point of view, against which I argue, it is also because the last two albums made with eyes fixed forward, not backward (TATTOO YOU), before this alleged loss of muse, were enterprising albums in my perspective (EMOTIONAL RESCUE and, especially(?) UNDERCOVER).

Add to the mentionned combined effects, d) the difficult situation of the band exposed not to one surrounding scene, but to the split simultaneous presence of a musical "overground" and an underground, the latter consisting of various and different scenes of independent labels and venues for a longer period. Neither of them, that positively oriented towards an older major band's attempts to renew itself, but with a view preferably to make new idols or, alternatively, radical new musical expressions. At best, willing to show the old Stones as the old Stones.

The big question is, with the possible effect of a somewhat firmer fanbase then from earlier having toured EMOTIONAL RESCUE, if UNDERCOVER might have come suffiently better out of it among this stratum of the rock scene, to urge the Stones to go on rather soon to create new, enterprising and inspired music.

I don't think it mattered. They'd already toured Some Girls, and Emotional Rescue was 'Some Girls Lite'...it wasn't going to convert a whole new legion of fans with a tour. Plus, consider they did actually tour only 12 months later so Emotional Rescue was barely off the charts.

They got a mid career lift from Some Girls which carried through Tattoo You but the writing was on the wall. After Undercover, it was never going to be the same again creatively and the audience would never again be interested in the new music.

How is it that they can play to so many fans at hundreds of dollars per ticket, but they can't do the same in album sales?

Unfortunately, the broader audience just isn't interested.

Date: January 3, 2015 03:20

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
SweetThing
franzk

This is hilarious.

There was a bit of a sea change in music around 1983/84. I just remember that year as being the time I started University and a whole slew of newer bands really made it mainstream, and massive new albums by U2, the Police, Bowie, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Prince, Madonna, Cindy Lauper and as you pointed out Michael Jackson I think the Stones were shunted to the side. They'd saturated the market in the previous 5 years so it was time for something new.

They could have put out another Exile and it probably would have gotten the same sort of muted reaction, no matter how many videos they did.

Look. You and everyone but me need to use the title correctly when shortcutting it - it's not two words, it's one - Undercover. Therefor, when using just the letters for the title it's...

U.

Date: January 3, 2015 05:15

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
SweetThing
franzk

This is hilarious.

Look. You and everyone but me need to use the title correctly when shortcutting it - it's not two words, it's one - Undercover. Therefor, when using just the letters for the title it's...

U.

F.U.

Forever Undercover!

Date: January 3, 2015 06:13

Ha ha!

Date: January 3, 2015 06:17

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2346
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home