Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Supporting acts in Europe?
Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 9, 2014 00:30

Without a support act Berlin-Waldbühne is a pure daylight concert:
Starting at 7 , ending between 9 and 9:30. On some places (right side and upper seats) you still look in the sun..

Tom

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 9, 2014 02:09

I hope for 2 great support acts in Zurich & Vienna, but I want not see the same act twice.

For Zurich, it could be Joe Bonamassa. And for Vienna, another great act.

I like support acts in concerts, because the most of them are great. In this year, I saw already 3 concerts, in which the support act was better as the headliner.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2014 02:27

bv
Support acts are there for more beer sales, and beer sales ruin the shows..

Or more t-shirt sales.

Band makes more money on merchandise. Paying customers get better value for money.

Its a win-win. Its really not difficult.

If they were concerned about beer sales ruining shows, they wouldnt have a ten minute part of the show half way through which is tailored towards their fans' increasingly ageing bladders!

Posted by: TMONTANA ()
Date: April 9, 2014 02:39

I think is just a question of money,they will sell lots of tickets by themselves,so why pay another band to play for 45 minutes,it would be great though,before they even had two or three opening bands,but now forget it...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 9, 2014 02:47

Gazza
bv
Support acts are there for more beer sales, and beer sales ruin the shows..

Or more t-shirt sales.

Band makes more money on merchandise. Paying customers get better value for money.

Its a win-win. Its really not difficult.

If they were concerned about beer sales ruining shows, they wouldnt have a ten minute part of the show half way through which is tailored towards their fans' increasingly ageing bladders!

Speaking of Beer sales, I was in an alcohol line at the "Dump" a few years ago for a Springsteen concert. The choices were a rather large glass (plastic) of beer or a shot of Patron - each was 11 dollars. Almost everyone was getting the Beer. I opted for the shots. The guy behind me asked if I was rich. I said, for the same price, we will both get a buzz on, only difference is I will be able to enjoy the enitire 3 hour show without having to go to the bathroom.drinking smiley

Date: April 9, 2014 04:09

Thats exactly it. I think I worked out during the ABB tour that if you went for a piss during Keith's set and came back at the end of it, you were missing a tenth of the songs performed.

In other words, a $50 piss. $100 if you were in the pit at some of the 50 and Counting gigs.

Posted by: HappyRambler ()
Date: April 9, 2014 09:21

The Beatles ?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 9, 2014 09:43

support acts? Those times should be long gone except for festivals. I wanna see the Stones and that's it. And I will never get the point why being drunk or even pissed for a concert which you pay massive entrance fee and have to go to the loo during the 2 hours. This is what I found extremeley good on the arena shows. Just got it straight to the Stones and longer and better shows as well. I know most people have a different oppinion. But most of the support acts during ABB were a desaster except for Simple Minds in Stuttgart.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:09

Grison
But most of the support acts during ABB were a desaster except for Simple Minds in Stuttgart.

Nope, they were a disaster as well smiling smiley I can still remember how glad all the people around me were just after the band had finished their last song (was it Don't You Forget about Me?).

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:32

Been to a few ABB shows and all the opening acts were great. The local band in Madrid or Barcelona was fantastic, can't remember their name though. Los.... Something or so.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:39

Support acts are there for more beer sales, and beer sales ruin the shows. If they open the doors at 5pm and sell beer for 4 hours then people are raving drunk by 9am when the show start.

Sounds very good to me....my general behaving before every fotball-game I visit at this arena in Stockholm...

drinking smiley

Posted by: island01 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:17

When does the concert usually start? For example, it says that Vienna concert starts at 19:30, when can I expect the Stones on stage?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:39

My 14-year-old son is coming with me to Berlin. So
he needs to know what it´s like to wait for a main act.
I hope Berlin has a support act.

Otherwise the show starts at 7 PM!?

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:50

BV smiling smiley, support acts are/were there sometimes for more tickets sales too, like in 2003 in Germany with AC/DC where all the shows were not sold out initially...

All shows are sold out in 2014 ? So, no support acts I think.

crawdaddy
I have come over to the way of thinking that a support act is a good thing.

The Stones can manage that out of their budget for the tour.

It makes the summer days more pleasant with a nice band playing a good set before The Stones come on stage.

Don't expect any huge names like ZZ Top some years ago, but AC/DC in OZ would be a gas.

Bring on the Europe tour and I'll be in Oslo with Lucky Dip tix on May 26th. >grinning smiley<

bv
Support acts are there for more beer sales, and beer sales ruin the shows. If they open the doors at 5pm and sell beer for 4 hours then people are raving drunk by 9am when the show start.

The great thing with "50 and Counting" and "14 On Fire" was that you could walk in at 7pm when doors open, no support act (few listen to them anyway), and by 9pm most people have had 2-3 beers and not 6, they are still not a big pain in the neck.

For all-day festivals the picture is very different. Many great artists, beer sales all day, hot dogs, herring with bread in the Netherlands, and mayonnaise, sauerkraut, all the stuff you need to survive a long day in Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-09 12:55 by Powerage.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: April 9, 2014 12:58

On the ticket für Düsseldorf is printed: "Beginn 19.30 h". That would be too early for a Stones show.
A lot of shows in the past begann at the local time of sunset, e.g. 21.13h

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: April 9, 2014 13:01

TooTough

I guess it'll be the same as in Asia last month so the show is supposed to start about one hour after the officially announced time (mostly 7 pm). In June it should be dark enough at 8 pm to let Jack jump and flash.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 13:39

maradona
TooTough

I guess it'll be the same as in Asia last month so the show is supposed to start about one hour after the officially announced time (mostly 7 pm). In June it should be dark enough at 8 pm to let Jack jump and flash.

21.6. is the LONGEST day. The exact time of a sunset will depend on the location, it will get dark sooner in the southern countries, while it will pretty much never get dark in Stockholm. But at 8 p.m. it will surely be full light everywhere in Europe. In Germany (Berlin, since Germany is quite large too) I think it will slowly start to get dark at about 9 p.m.

Date: April 9, 2014 14:28

Grison
support acts? Those times should be long gone except for festivals. I wanna see the Stones and that's it. And I will never get the point why being drunk or even pissed for a concert which you pay massive entrance fee and have to go to the loo during the 2 hours. This is what I found extremeley good on the arena shows. Just got it straight to the Stones and longer and better shows as well. I know most people have a different oppinion. But most of the support acts during ABB were a desaster except for Simple Minds in Stuttgart.

Thats not unreasonable. But the shows earlier this year were shorter than the arena shows in 2012-13 by some distance.

I dont really expect a bunch of 70-somethings to play a high energy show for over 2 and a half hours. Therefore its not an unreasonable expectation to have an opening act. The audience still has the choice to listen to them or not, but any music at all is a better alternative than sitting in a field scratching your arse for two or three hours, surely.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 9, 2014 14:28

Sunset is around 9:30 pm in Berlin on 10 June.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 9, 2014 15:10

I hate supporting acts, specially at a Stones gig, always have, always will...So I hope there will be none.

Date: April 10, 2014 02:18

Some supporting acts were realy good: e.g. AC/DC, Pretenders. Some not, e.g. Gun. And some are boring when you see them more than one time, e.g. J. Geils Band.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 10, 2014 07:41

I like when there is a opening band. Great way to see a band that I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

Seen some great ones, PJ for example. A few bad ones, like Blind Mellon.

Not like you have to watch/listen to them. You can stay tailgating, or being at the bar. Highly doubt having an opening band equals less stage time for the Stones. If I'm jockying for a good FOS position and have to be there hours in advance. I'd like for a band to be playing.

Different strokes, for different folks.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 10, 2014 09:50

Wonder if Aerosmith will be in the crowd at Berlin? They play the night before.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2014 10:48

but any music at all is a better alternative than sitting in a field scratching your arse for two or three hours, surely.

....Geeeez Gazza some smart arse guy told me recently that there's some really really good haemorrhoid creams around now days ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 10, 2014 14:11

shattered
Wonder if Aerosmith will be in the crowd at Berlin? They play the night before.
In the crowd? Why not Steven T. on stage for one song? For which song?
Okay, I don't think that will happen...
Did Steven perform with the Stones ever before?

Posted by: RG ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:34

Pinkpop and Rome is John Mayer support act. Wonder if they will sing a song together? Like they did on 50 and counting.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 16:29

Roadster32
Been to a few ABB shows and all the opening acts were great. The local band in Madrid or Barcelona was fantastic, can't remember their name though. Los.... Something or so.

Loquillo y los Trogloditas

In other Stones shows, I can remember The Black Crowes.... what a night !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 16:35 by spain73.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 10, 2014 17:48

I saw never a boring support act in a Stones concert. All were good till very good.

I saw only a boring guest star. Mary J. Blige in 'Gimme Shelter' at the opening night of the 50 & Counting Tour. She was such a waste, Lisa Fischer would have been, the absolute killer in that song.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 12, 2014 10:27

AC/DC was great, and stole the show in Toronto 2003.

[jam.canoe.ca]

Date: May 11, 2014 20:22

Anybody here who knows something new? The Tour is coming closer, and i still don't believe they will do outdoor shows without any support acts. Just curious...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1408
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home