Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Influence of IORR?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2014 03:41

Rokyfan
treaclefingers
Rokyfan
I mean, how else would anyone know that Sway is one of the best motherf****g songs on one of the greatest albums by the greatest rock and roll band ever if they didn't read it on IORR. It's not like I or loads of other people I know had that figured out on our own.

No disrespect, I certainly agree that IORR has been the gold standard for Rolling Stones web sites for a long time and I am sure that the Stones have people that monitor the web -- Factory Girl in Jersey in 97 is proof of that -- but nobody needed to read on a web site that Sway would be a good idea live (or that official Brussels, Some Girls and Exile outtakes, etc. were things the fans wanted).

I don't understand why it's so incomprehensible that stones representatives and even band members might drop in occasionally to take the temperature of what is going on. Why wouldn't they, it would stupid not to.

They can do it easily and it's free. If I was one of the band members, probably Charlie, I'd even sign up and wreak all kinds of havoc.

I'm glad you finally agree!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 5, 2014 03:59

I finally agree with myself! Sounds like a Marx Bros. line. The thing I was laughing at was the idea that anyone needed to look at a web site to pick up on all of those so obvious points, not doubting that Stones Inc. monitors the chatter, as you said.

"People want to hear Sway live! Who knew? And there's fans out there that would pay for pristene versions of those outtakes from when the band was at their peak! And the fans liked Taylor and most think it would be a gas if we invited him back! Thank god for the internet or we never would have known!"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2014 04:04

Rokyfan
I finally agree with myself! Sounds like a Marx Bros. line. The thing I was laughing at was the idea that anyone needed to look at a web site to pick up on all of those so obvious points, not doubting that Stones Inc. monitors the chatter, as you said.

"People want to hear Sway live! Who knew? And there's fans out there that would pay for pristene versions of those outtakes from when the band was at their peak! And the fans liked Taylor and most think it would be a gas if we invited him back! Thank god for the internet or we never would have known!"

And I apologize for tossing you in with the others! Some stuff seems obvious, but who the hell knows, they make questionable choices all the time. Being 'tapped in' doesn't hurt.

I wonder if anyone goes to the extent of monitoring the play by play on IORR during the concert itself? Maybe that's what Mick's doing during Keith's set?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 5, 2014 04:30

Rokyfan

"People want to hear Sway live! Who knew?

This honestly isn't as obvious as it seems. There are very many people in any given audience who'll have never heard of Sway. So for them to see that there's significant support for it on a site like this is not meaningless.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2014 06:30

paulywaul
JumpingKentFlash
Since I get to see the Stones for a mere 130€ (That's for a show that is entirely general admission, and including the service charge), I'm just a happy camper.

A happy camper huh ? Wonder if the other 79,999 people in attendance will be just as happy as you, or will they be wondering whether or not they oughtn't have been in the Paris pelouse VIP pit for €111.50, or in the Berlin standing pit for €224 - both of which are far better alternatives to being in a bloody great field containing 80,000 people and getting charged €130 for the privilege of mostly being about 5 miles from the action !

Well, out of the 80.000 souls, only 5000 of us have tickets for that single day. The rest are normal festival goers. I've even done it before. Horsens in 2006 had 85.000 in attendance, and I was up front by the center. 10 quid and my left nut says I'm gonna do that again. I'll bring water and food and stand at the front as soon as I can. Dunno if you ever tried it, but standing in a big field is actually a great experience when everybody else is behind you. In any case it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Ask anyone who went to Glastonbury last year if they didn't have the time of their lives. Considering the price we had to pay to see the Stones in the noughties, 130€ isn't that bad. I'm really strapped for cash at the moment 'cause I'm taking a driver's license, have another baby coming in a month and stuff like that, and I still managed to scrape together enough money for the ticket.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 5, 2014 09:00

Aquamarine
Rokyfan

"People want to hear Sway live! Who knew?

This honestly isn't as obvious as it seems. There are very many people in any given audience who'll have never heard of Sway. So for them to see that there's significant support for it on a site like this is not meaningless.
I would agree with that. Thats the one thing I was hugely surprised by. I mean for us, the huge hardcore fans, thats something we'd die to see and its something that seems like a top 5 Taylor song. But for what its worth, that is a deep cut, and aside from the outro solo its not an immediate Mick Taylor track. Its not Can't You Hear Me Knockin, its not even Time Waits For No One which is something even the Stones might recognize he is semi-known for. Sway is something I give them credit for giving actual thought about and really throwing a bone to the hardcores.

Or I'm giving them too much credit and it is as obvious as it may seem. But I think that was definitely one we were not guaranteed to see and I could probably think of 20 songs that I thought we'd get over that. Stuff like Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man. I would have expected him to guest on those over Sway, just to give an idea of the rarity that really is.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 5, 2014 09:35

I wonder if anyone goes to the extent of monitoring the play by play on IORR during the concert itself? Maybe that's what Mick's doing during Keith's set?

Everybody here on IORR could chip in a few bucks and buy a commercial that runs during one of the cricket matches Mick watches obsessively...especially one on the network he co-owns. That would be sure to get his attention. MORE MICK TAYLOR! FEWER WARHORSES! MORE RARE SONGS! WHOLE ALBUM SIDES! Etc...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 5, 2014 14:19

I guess because I was around when it was released, I view Sticky Fingers as one of the best, and best-known rock albums of all time. You do not have to be a "hard core" to know Sway (although I get that everyone likes to think of themselves as hard core"). I know many many casual fans and all of them have heard Sway many many times. It's no more obscure than Dead Flowers, Bitch, Sister Morphine, all the rest of the LP. And is there a person here that frequents any web site for any band where the people aren't convinced that the band is doing whatever they are doing because they read it on the site? Me, I think that people that are creative, like musicians, and are successful at it do not waste their time on the internet. If they did, they wouldn't be where they are.

I love that people think that the band is doing what they are doing only because they don't know what we want. Just take out an ad and say no warhorses, etc. and they will get the message. Really? You think that the setlist is the way it is because they don't know. They do know. Anything anyone reads here is stuff the band people already know because it is based on what fans are saying, regardless of any website. Like Mick Jagger will think one day"Oh, the fans would like more Taylor in the show, I'm glad somebody pointed that out."

(edit -- I maintain what I said about creative people not wasting their time on the internet, but I realize that they could have Chuck do it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-05 14:31 by Rokyfan.

Date: April 5, 2014 23:03

Sure, they play the so-called warhorses (how I hate that word angry smiley ) because they know they're the ones most people want to hear (and MOST people really do). But when it comes to the lesser-known songs, which Sway really is, seeing that one mentioned a significant number of times might *cough* sway their decision to include it rather than another lesser-known song. How else would they know that there's been vocal support for that one, rather than, say, Mona (yes please!) or Can You Hear the Music?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 6, 2014 01:52

how would we know if rollings stones members had signed up to this site using a different name.

so not only do they view whats happening but actively get involved in discussion, or to wreck havoc.

and we might not even know if bv has banned them.

Date: April 6, 2014 02:48

That sounds far-fetched, but I know of artists who've done (or still do) that on their own sites.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:58

Aquamarine
That sounds far-fetched, but I know of artists who've done (or still do) that on their own sites.

I can imagine a popular band or artist (or their management) checking in with their fan websites to get a reading on what their hardcore fans are thinking, but I can't imagine any of the Stones actually doing that. Not regularly anyway. Maybe Chuck Leavell reads this forum occasionally and perhaps it gives him ideas for songs to suggest to Mick to add into the rotation. I'll ask him next time I get the chance. But the Stones have always done as they pleased and have never really been considered to be very "fan friendly," so I doubt any of the opinions or requests on here would make them reconsider any of their decisions for shows, album releases, setlist, etc. But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-06 03:45 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: April 6, 2014 02:59

odean73
bv
The Rolling Stones and their management do read IORR every day. Why? Because it is the largest independent Rolling Stones web site in the world. Easy access to what is going on. Two million fans. That is why they played Sway. And they would have to pay a million to get the same info from marketing reseach companies, who don't really have a clue about what millions of Stones fans have on their mind. Except when they buy tickets for shows. Buy buy buy...

That's nice and good to read.

Come back to sunny Brum, Mick.thumbs updrinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yep..

Pls do villa park smiling smiley

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 6, 2014 04:59

If anyone from stones inc is reading this : Memory Motel at Rod Laver please!
Dont worry, I will remind you as Oct.Nov gets closer.

Date: April 6, 2014 09:00

I definitely think sites like this (and their world wide fan base) played a significant role in the return of the Stones for their historic 50th anniversary tour, although I am sure they had at least one eye on it since the conclusion of ABB.

Date: April 6, 2014 09:04

And, yes, you can thank IORR and other fan sites for the return of Mick Taylor!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 6, 2014 09:10

Ok - I'm suppossed to believe that the the Stones played "Sway" wherever it was because of this forum? Give me a break!

Ft Laud - aka Sunrise, circa 2010 Sway was played and didn't seem prearranged or conspirarcy driven.

Date: April 6, 2014 09:24

Chris Fountain
Ok - I'm suppossed to believe that the the Stones played "Sway" wherever it was because of this forum? Give me a break!

Ft Laud - aka Sunrise, circa 2010 Sway was played and didn't seem prearranged or conspirarcy driven.

I don't think anybody's suggesting they played it because of this forum, let alone that there was a conspiracy involved. winking smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 6, 2014 14:14

TornAndFried
Aquamarine

I can imagine a popular band or artist (or their management) checking in with their fan websites to get a reading on what their hardcore fans are thinking, but I can't imagine any of the Stones actually doing that. Not regularly anyway. Maybe Chuck Leavell reads this forum occasionally and perhaps it gives him ideas for songs to suggest to Mick to add into the rotation. I'll ask him next time I get the chance. But the Stones have always done as they pleased and have never really been considered to be very "fan friendly," so I doubt any of the opinions or requests on here would make them reconsider any of their decisions for shows, album releases, setlist, etc. But maybe I'm wrong. Who knows?

can't imagine any of the Stones actually doing that
Well they did and (probably personally as well) still do.
When you like to organize things like MJ you know a site like this is very, very important. And TK used to pass all sorts of interesting things to MJ concerning PR and (free) press including fanzines and since things got digital they shifted everything to another gear. So a really good informed fansite like IORR would definitely be spotted on an daily basis.
They were always interested in their fans and how to reach them so I would consider them very fan friendly. Since it's a business you can interprete this according to your own preferences and nuances of course.
I think MJ hardly watches himself but I wouldn't bet KR never reads or uses IORR...
Because? MJ is far more a self driven, original and sincere man so he's not following an agenda the way KR is doing. MJ is being MJ while KR is still trying to find a way to travel between KRI and KRII.
Back to IORR; so yes it does have an influence...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 6, 2014 15:29

Total nonsense. Of course many people know Sway and Mick Taylor. Have a look at YT. When I uploaded the Glastonbury Knocking it had more than 100.000 views in no time and many, many comments until it was blocked worldwide very soon. Have a look at the Sway and Knocking videos from LA. Then you'll see the same.

Some people here seem to think 'we' are the only ones who know something about the Stones and that outside Iorr Mick Taylor and many Stones songs are fully unknown. Utterly nonsense. And if the Stones or their hired hands really read here and if Iorr had real influence on their decisions than we had at least seen more Mick Taylor. But instead we got less. The hubris here is sometimes beyond ridiculous. There is not a snippet of proof that Iorr has influence on the Stones. It's wishful thinking.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 6, 2014 16:21

kleermaker
Total nonsense. Of course many people know Sway and Mick Taylor. Have a look at YT. When I uploaded the Glastonbury Knocking it had more than 100.000 views in no time and many, many comments until it was blocked worldwide very soon. Have a look at the Sway and Knocking videos from LA. Then you'll see the same.

Some people here seem to think 'we' are the only ones who know something about the Stones and that outside Iorr Mick Taylor and many Stones songs are fully unknown. Utterly nonsense. And if the Stones or their hired hands really read here and if Iorr had real influence on their decisions than we had at least seen more Mick Taylor. But instead we got less. The hubris here is sometimes beyond ridiculous. There is not a snippet of proof that Iorr has influence on the Stones. It's wishful thinking.

From practically all your posts it's obvious you seem to have one view only and that's exactly what your 'utter nonsense'is based on; thinking that they would give Taylor more songs to play after reading IORR ( eye rolling smiley ) brings you to the conclusion that because Taylor only has two or three songs 'there is not a snippet of proof that IORR has influence on the Stones'.
That's indeed what I would call wishful thinking.
Does your mommy know you're on this forum??

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 6, 2014 16:40

I'm very happy with the more affordable ticket prices (affordable for me that is).
Didn't expected this at all. So thank you Rolling Stones! Now I can see you three times. Never thought this was possible anymore after the expensive ticketing since 1999. And Yes, I would be happy with You Got Me Rocking, if they play it well and with passion, that is what it is all about. Great if they play Silver Train, or TWFNO, or what have you. The main thing is they play with passion and conviction, and I know they will do that, as they have done this the entire tour so far.

Date: April 6, 2014 23:21

kleermaker

Yes, of course many people know Sway. And they'll watch it on Youtube, like your CYHMK. Many more DON'T, however. It's just not one of their best-known songs. Many if not most of the people in the audiences at the bigger shows couldn't name all the core band members (then or now), let alone some of the lesser-known songs. They just couldn't. And that's not a criticism or any kind of hubris. I see bands all the time that I love and where I couldn't name a single member. Also, the band being aware of what's being posted here (not every comment, I mean the major opinions) doesn't mean for a second that they're going to act on it. They have their own reasons for using MT as much or as little as they do. But they surely find it useful to know what the fans are thinking?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 7, 2014 01:20

Is this why some posters belittle others who are critical or cynical? Because they hope a Rolling Stone might take notice?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 02:38

Many people know Sway? I'd be surprised if 10% of any Stones concert audience knows Sway. Most of the folks at Stones shows are classic rock radio listeners, and Sway is never played on the radio. Those same casual fans would own a copy of Hot Rocks first before any of the other albums including Sticky Fingers. Sway is not among their greatest hits and it has never appeared on any greatest hits compilations. The only people who know Sway are the occasional fans who purchase a copy of Sticky Fingers, which hasn't been on the album charts in a long, long time.

Date: April 7, 2014 03:02

Redhotcarpet
Is this why some posters belittle others who are critical or cynical? Because they hope a Rolling Stone might take notice?

I can't imagine anybody thinks that. There is such a thing as honest disagreement, which isn't the same as belittling someone. smiling smiley

Oh, and just to follow up stonehearted's post--I agree, my point in saying that many people know Sway is that I went on to say that many more don't know it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-07 03:08 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 7, 2014 03:24

Let's also factor in that there are hundreds of thousands of people who attend Rolling Stones concerts who have never heard of IORR. Many of them are busy earning a living, saving for college or raising their families; they don't spend much time on the web.

Whether it's the Stones, Springsteen, Macca, Dylan or Taylor Swift etc.they all have a pretty good idea of who their fan base is -- or is not.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 03:25

Hi Aqua,

I understood your point perfectly and am in complete agreement. I, too, was responding to Kleerie's points, but decided not to quote the post directly.

Date: April 7, 2014 03:36

Gotcha. smileys with beer

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: April 7, 2014 03:41

bv
The Rolling Stones and their management do read IORR every day. Why? Because it is the largest independent Rolling Stones web site in the world. Easy access to what is going on. Two million fans. That is why they played Sway. And they would have to pay a million to get the same info from marketing reseach companies, who don't really have a clue about what millions of Stones fans have on their mind. Except when they buy tickets for shows. Buy buy buy...

Rubbish. They couldn't care less about this site. If you really think they're influenced by what is posted here you are delusional. Sorry, but them's the facts!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1395
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home