Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: does anyone like chuck leavell???
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2005 16:13

Actually I never liked him much. But I'm beginning to see the "diamond tiaras" Keith talks about. Perfect example: Shine A Light from Stripped. That's very good piano playing. Maybe I'll come around.........

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: May 23, 2005 16:34

stones sound at times is off,other times incredible,giant stadium in 2002,1997,sound was great.msg 98horrible,but 1999 phillie the best i ever heard.all seats were in same general location.thatswhat i don't understand.

john scialfa

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: May 23, 2005 16:41

Not to be confused with the person who started this post since we have the same screen names. I like Chuck. The way the band sounds is because of the guitar players, he fills the holes and does what the band wants him to do. I have never seen so many people who supposedly love a band bash them so much.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 23, 2005 16:58

Please note that on this site we're only allowed to highly PRAISE the Rolling Stones. Every single decision the band has made since 1962 was for the best and must never be questioned and absolutely NOT criticized no matter what. Keith and Ronnie are the most skillful guitar players EVER, @#$%& Jimi H and Jimmy Page. They are always performing like Gods on stage, never do they miss one lousy note. I think they should only sell hot-seats and special packages that cost $1,450 USD and get rid of all cheap tix. The lads obviously need the cash. On no, not you again is a brilliant song and the lyrics are genius and Mr Bob Dylan is just a rookie and an amature when it comes to making music. I can't underscore this clearly enough, never criticize the band, you have to worship them blindly and if you have a problem with that you should go to a fan site for e.g Britney Spears or Shania Twain. By the way, forget about the freedom of speech, it doesn't exist anymore. Hail to the Stones and remember that their stage performances have been and will always be immaculate and totally flawless. The Rolling Stones should have the Nobel price in the category Literature for their unparalleled achievement on the lyrics to the above-mentioned song.
I happen to honestly believe that Mick J is God Almighty. Remember, you are obliged to consent to all of these writings otherwise you'll be put in a penitentiary.
Amen.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: May 23, 2005 17:20

Rank it is fine to critize the band but when you say something like Chuck sucks and the whole name calling thing than that is just dumb. I have even heard people bashing the new song and album and set lists for the upcoming tour. That is stupid because they have not even heard the new album or what they will be playing on the tour.

That is all I am talking about with people and the negativitly on this board. People like MLC I don't think have ever said one thing positive about the band which just makes you think if they like them at all. Constant bitching just get tiresome especially if there is no reason behind it, that is all.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 23, 2005 20:58

Thanks J-J-Flash!

HJofSweden

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 23, 2005 23:09

Thanks Rank!

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 23, 2005 23:31

No need to blame Don Was, Chuck or whoever outsite the group of four.

It is Mick and Keith hiring the above mentioned, so if they suck - then it is Mick and Keiths fault.....

The other ones just do their jobs as good as they can.....

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 24, 2005 00:21

It's true but very hard for some people to accept.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 24, 2005 00:29

Yes,and this person must be found!smiling smiley

Seriously,has anyone on this board ever met him? Does anyone know him well?

No, I thought not. So how can we judge him?

I wish I could play keyboards like he does!

Regards,

Ian.

PS Do you have to be liked to be good at what you do? No, I thought not...

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 24, 2005 00:53

My God, has everyone forgotten how good Four Flicks was?

I don't go for fawning hero-worship, but I REALLY don't go for unwarranted bashing of anyone in the Stones touring band. To be honest, I think they are ALL highly-accomplished professionals--both Lisa Fisher and Bernard Fowler have the vocal chops to be solo artists. Blondie Chaplin is a multi-instrument utility player, and definitely has the credentials. As for Chuck, well, he has his good moments and bad, BUT he is highly regarded by Mick & Keith, and that is all that matters.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 24, 2005 01:38

You just can't blame Chuck for doing what Mick/Keith pay him for to do. The fact that he's up in the mix is not the fault of some technician, but Mick/Keith's: they are the chiefs of The Rolling Stones Circus.

Keith and Ronnie should play more, pose less, so there would be no need for a gap filling keyboard style. Stating that Chuck has no talent is ofcourse nonsense. I would prefer MacLagan, thouhg Baboon's idea of Chuck on piano and Ian on keyboards/wurlitzer/hammond is also a very good one.

Chuck's here to stay, face it. He's essential nowadays, which isn't his fault...

E.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 24, 2005 01:53

by the by - Chuck plays more than just piano - he's a damned fine organ-player too. I have rarely, if ever heard complaints about his organ playing...

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 24, 2005 04:57

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> by the by - Chuck plays more than just piano -
> he's a damned fine organ-player too. I have
> rarely, if ever heard complaints about his organ
> playing...

Yes, and I think we're zeroing in on why there are so many complaints--put a real piano onstage, rather than the synths, and the naysayers would rapidly change their opinion. It isn't the style, it's the SOUND. I daresay that ol' Chuck could barrelhouse with the best of them if given a proper piano to play--an upright!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-24 05:00 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2005 17:28

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> rapidly change their opinion. It isn't the style,
> it's the SOUND. I daresay that ol' Chuck could
> barrelhouse with the best of them if given a
> proper piano to play--an upright!

Well, he had a real piano in 1982, and it still sounded like shit. It's not his sound (which is awfull anyway), but mostly his style. He is way too neat, hasn't got a melodic sense and jsut intrudes the guitarists.

Best example to me still is Imagination from 1981 and 1981. Check out Hamton 1981, and listen to Mac's Hammond and piano. It's so tastefully done, leaving the guitars alone, never intruding, always adding something where you really need it. Now listen to the soundboard of Napoli 1982: Chuck makes this song plainly unlistenable. The sound is bad, he plays the entire song full with unneccesary fills, he timing is off, and he outplays the guitars.

And, worse if all, he has a beard.

Mathijs

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 24, 2005 17:30

A GREY beard AND tucks his trousers in!

Posted by: adamsday ()
Date: May 24, 2005 17:31

Chuck Leavell is a great musician and very nice guy.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 24, 2005 17:31

your bias is showing, mathijs....just because you don't like it doesn't it makes it "plainly unlistenable."

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 24, 2005 21:54

mr edward Wrote:
---

> Keith and Ronnie should play more, pose less, so
> there would be no need for a gap filling keyboard
> style.

---

A content-ful sentence, which may dwell some mistake.
You have to presuppose

A. THAT they do pose, or use to pose

B. If A, then gaps evolve.

...I say there´s to much posing-talk.
Anyone who saw the PC cant seriously say their posed while playing.
If they really did; I´d like then to continue with what they were doin.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: May 31, 2005 00:25

Chuck will be on tour with the Strolling Bones again:

[abcnews.go.com]

Posted by: ROUL ()
Date: May 31, 2005 01:01

hey @#$%&
chuck is good player.theres no wrong about him.problem is the stones are very old guys and the sound it never would be like end of 60's or whole 70's when the stones was a ROLLÝNG STONES!leavell cant be awfull than billy preston or nicky hopkins.only one problem about him is "he dont look like rocknroll star"he looks more like a truckdriver: ))

whats wrong about chuck leavell???
Posted by: ROUL ()
Date: May 31, 2005 01:03

hey @#$%&

chuck is good player.theres no wrong about him.problem is the stones are very old guys and the sound it never would be like end of 60's or whole 70's when the stones was a ROLLÝNG STONES!leavell cant be awfull than billy preston or nicky hopkins.only one problem about him is "he dont look like rocknroll star"he looks more like a truckdriver: ))

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: May 31, 2005 07:16

Listen to LYL - good piano

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 31, 2005 07:37

Listen fools. I've been a Stones fan for over 20 years and been to many a show. I've purchased all their albums, tapes and cd's. I've read every book and seen every special. It's true I posted this to stir something up. I think they rely too much on Leavell's playing to fill in the gaps and give them breaks. Now mind u I was "under the influence" when I posted my negativity and in no way did I mean to bash the Stones. I just don't like Chuck's sound and he strikes me as arrogant. Oh well, u must know better. I guess you're not allowed to ever say anything against anyone. By the way I do like Bernard, Lisa and Blondie. And of course the horn section rocks! But if Mick wants Chuck I guess I'll have to learn to like it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 31, 2005 09:01

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> Listen fools.

You talkin' to me ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home