Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What is your favorite/least favorite guitar of the Stones' guitar arsonal?
Posted by: voodoopug ()
Date: March 28, 2014 09:33

After reading the Stones Gear Book, I am curious to see which of the Stones' guitars do you just drool over and/or hate. For me, I just drool over Keith's Black 355. There is something about the way that Keith plays that makes that guitar sound incredible and very Stonzy. My least favorite guitar(s) where the Musicmans that Keith and Ronnie played in the late 80's and early 90's. They just didn't have that Stones look or sound to them. Also, is there a guitar which was used for one song in the past (but is now played on a different guitar) which you liked better? For me, I loved how Satisfaction sounded on the 999 telecaster (ala the Bridges tour). I hate how it sounds on the les paul Jr. and the Black 355 (even though I love the guitar).

Re: What is your favorite/least favorite guitar of the Stones' guitar arsonal?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:03

My fav is Keith's psychedelic les paul custom. cool smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:11

His Majesty
My fav is Keith's psychedelic Les Paul custom. cool smiley

Yeah, that one will do nicely! And that sweet dark-cherry doublecut Junior he had in 73/74.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:14

My favorite is Keith's black strat, and my least fav is Ronnies Zeimaitis..

2 1 2 0

Date: March 28, 2014 10:16

Come On

What black Strat, please and thank you?
And which of Ronnie's Zemaitae - all of 'em?

Date: March 28, 2014 10:20

with sssoul
Come On

..with the death-skull on..

yeah and all of them...phony shit-guitars..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 10:21 by Come On.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 10:55

voodoopug
After reading the Stones Gear Book, I am curious to see which of the Stones' guitars do you just drool over and/or hate. For me, I just drool over Keith's Black 355. There is something about the way that Keith plays that makes that guitar sound incredible and very Stonzy. My least favorite guitar(s) where the Musicmans that Keith and Ronnie played in the late 80's and early 90's. They just didn't have that Stones look or sound to them. Also, is there a guitar which was used for one song in the past (but is now played on a different guitar) which you liked better? For me, I loved how Satisfaction sounded on the 999 telecaster (ala the Bridges tour). I hate how it sounds on the les paul Jr. and the Black 355 (even though I love the guitar).

Great thread!
Totally agree about the musicman's. I remember going to see Live at the Max and trying to convince my mates (we were late teens, and they were metalheads) how great the Stones were. They took one look at those guitars and said cmon man, those guitars are @#$%&' awful! It seemed important at the time. Bill Wyman committed a greater sin though, playing a bass with no headstock. I had to turn off the Velvets Reunion Video when I watched it, couldn't cope with Lou Reed's headstock-less guitar!
But back to the topic, favourite guitar has to be the Les Paul that MT plays on the 72 tour - the plain top. Stunning looking, stunning sound. Micawber a close second.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:05

I agree about Satisfaction getting a nicer, crawling King Snake vibe with the tele, rather than the all out Gibson attack. Maybe it's also cause they opened with it...? But yeah, soundwise....

My favourite Guitar is Keith's first 3 Black Fender Customs, Amazing light guitars.And the sunburst Gibson Les Paul Junior '57 he used on the '81 tour and '94 tours respectively. The worst I couldn't say, I love all guitars!!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:23

For some reason, Keith's Harmony Meteor always gets my attention.

The Silver w/ pink Tele is low on my list.

Date: March 28, 2014 11:27

Come On
with sssoul
Come On

Er ... Keith's guitar with the inlaid skull is a Zemaitis, not a Strat.
So apparently they're not all "phonyshit-guitars" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: watts fan ()
Date: March 28, 2014 14:31

The sunburst Les Paul with the Bigsby. Amazing history, and it's so cool that it ended up back in the band when Mick T. joined.

[www.richardhenryguitars.com]

Date: March 28, 2014 14:31

with sssoul
Come On
with sssoul
Come On

Er ... Keith's guitar with the inlaid skull is a Zemaitis, not a Strat.
So apparently they're not all "phonyshit-guitars" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smiling smiley You got any pics on that...we are a whole lotta people here that thought it was a Strat...and around let's say 1969 - 1977...Zemaitae..Keith..Jeeze is he playing Clarinet also..winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 28, 2014 14:33

all of them if they have been in the hands of keith, mick taylor, and rocking ronnie wood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 28, 2014 14:46

TheGreek
all of them if they have been in the hands of keith, mick taylor, and rocking ronnie wood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Brian and his holy white VOX.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 28, 2014 14:52

heres one but I also love the painted LP...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 28, 2014 15:22

voodoopug

That's funny. I'm the exact opposite: I do not like the way Keith sounds on the semi-hollows. And I think he peaked with the Silhouettes in '89-'93. However, I suspect this has less to do with the guitars themselves than with Keith's evolution and inevitable decline as a player.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 28, 2014 18:04

Fav: Ronnie's 54 or 55 Strat (the one of the two with the regular bridge, don't know which of the two). Very close second the Stay With Me Zemaitis.

Worst guitar ever used by the stones must be the Ovation (Tattoo You Tour)

C

Date: March 28, 2014 18:18

Come On
smiling smiley You got any pics on that...we are a whole lotta people here that thought it was a Strat...and around let's say 1969 - 1977...Zemaitae..Keith..Jeeze is he playing Clarinet also..winking smiley

Sure - there's a whole threadful of photos of Keith's and Ronnie's Zemaitis guitars.
Look in the Ratbag Boogie Guitar Thread Index and have a blast: [www.iorr.org]
If you look through those photos and still feel you're talking about a Strat, I'd love to see any photos you can offer :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 18:20 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 28, 2014 18:47

Favourite: the Keefburst, without doubt, or perhaps Taylor's Ya-Ya's-era SG with the bigsby. I also love the sound of Keith's old Dan Armstrong plexiglass but the look (and subsequent Aerosmith connection) doesn't do it for me.

Least favourite: that thing Ronnie's been playing on JJF/Satisfaction throughout this tour.

Date: March 28, 2014 18:49

with sssoul
Come On

Sure - there's a whole threadful of photos of Keith's and Ronnie's Zemaitis guitars.
Look in the Ratbag Boogie Guitar Thread Index and have a blast: [www.iorr.org]
If you look through those photos and still feel you're talking about a Strat, I'd love to see any photos you can offer :E

cool smiley Yeah I read about it...you were right...let's say Keiths black skull-strat was stolen in Nellcote and he used it in Stockholm 1970...and for now Brian Jones White Vox is my fav...grinning smiley

Date: March 28, 2014 18:59

Come On
cool smiley Yeah I read about it...you were right...let's say Keiths black skull-strat was stolen in Nellcote and he used it in Stockholm 1970.

The black one Keith was using in 1970 was the psychedelic-painted LP custom that HM mentioned above -
you'll find it in the Ratbag Boogie thread about Keith's Black LP Customs. Have fun!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:17

I am partial to guitars that are both era defining and gone -they have some sort of mythic status. I love Ronnie's first metal top Zemaitis, the one he used with the Faces and with then Stones 75/76 tour. I love Richards' 1973 Ted Newman Jones, mainly because it is so weird in every way. Richards' Travis Bean TB500 -probably the strangest guitar for Keith, but it looked awesome on him. The ES-330 on Hyde Park: if there's one guitar you'd not want to use with a stack of HiWatt amps it's that guitar, and still is sounded fabulous. Richard's Ted Newman Jones Tele, with the Rosewood neck. What a strange guitar that is.

Mathijs

Date: March 28, 2014 19:27

Jisas Keraist you really are guitar-guys with sssoul and Mathijs...

Have a good look at Lennon here:

The King of Rickenbacker!

Date: March 28, 2014 23:24

"Richard's Ted Newman Jones Tele, with the Rosewood neck. What a strange guitar that is." Mathijs, I thought the same thing about Richard's All rosewood Telecaster back in the early 80's.

Date: March 28, 2014 23:25

BTW - Everyone came up with some really great responses. Thanks for participating in this thread. It was very interesting to get everyone's take on the guitars themselves.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 29, 2014 07:34

Favorite: the blonde Les Paul Junior that Keef plays on Midnight Rambler.
Least favorite: the electric nylon strung guitar that Keef played on Ruby Tuesday and Paint It Black in 1989-90.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 29, 2014 08:16

Wood's Disc Front Zemaitis, and any guitar used on the 1978 tour.
I prefer Wood's second silver-faced Zemaitis
Plus some that have gone missing: Wood's black Les Paul and white Tele.
Keith's Guild Freshman is an ace-looking guitar.
Bill's Framus Humbug bass had a great sound, just as important as anything else.
Actually, the only bass on Bill's I didn't care for was the one on the '89 tour.
Don't know why the hatred for the Music Man Silhouette. I've owned two, and I think they're great guitars. I have a feeling Keith liked them 'cause the neck is somewhat similiar to the Dan Armstrong.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: March 29, 2014 16:45

My favs are:
Ronnie's Zemaitis Disc front
Keith's Zemaitis Scull & Bones (Gift from Ronnie; alas, burned at Redlands)
Keith's original Dan Armstrong guitars
Keith's Flying V played 1969 at Hyde Park (later stolen at Nellcote)

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 29, 2014 19:01

I like the one Keith used on the 69' tour and at Altamont (Disclaimer: I don't much about guitar brands/models).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 29, 2014 20:08

Favourite: "Malcolm"
Least: No idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 20:10 by Koen.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home