Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Was
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 17, 2005 23:03

Please Mr. Was,
we ask you anly one thing:
let the guitars on the new songs RAW, LOUD and DIRTY.
we are easily satisfied!

Re: Don Was
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 17, 2005 23:45

TOTALL AGREE, THE BEST THING IS THE GUITAR WORK BY KEEF AND WOODY.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2005 04:26

Don Was...ugh.

Please don't ruin the new songs, we want the Stones...not Was Not Was... (remember their '80's hit "Do The Dinosaur"? Ridiculous).

The day he jumped on the Stones ship, was the day I began doubting whether or not we would ever hear anymore good Stones music again. So far his record with the Stones has been embarrassing, destroying anything good that might have been.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 18, 2005 04:38

I was just telling my g/f (between laughs) about the connection. She remembers the song & can't believe he is a top producer...too funny.

I don't know exactly how it works...but that band actually played here in San Diego recently. I was shocked to see they were charging $25 each. I would pay $50 to never hear that God-awful song again...so damn absurd.

I can't stop laughing...(remember their '80's hit "Do The Dinosaur"? Ridiculous).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 18, 2005 04:50

I kinda liked what he did with Dylan's Under the Red Sky.
Actually, he didn't really do anything.
Seems like he just put mikes in front of all the instruments
and pushed the "record" button.
I like that record. Many don't. Some of Dylan's stuff is an acquired taste.

Date: May 26, 2005 23:17

""Rumour has the following about the 2004 rehearsals: some maybe have listened to rehearsals from 2004 and say that the new tunes are raw and blusey ... lots of harp and loud, dirty guitars. (well, let's pray to whoever that this survives the last 15% of the final production!).""

Does anyone have DON WAS e-mail address??!!
LET THE NEW SONGS RAW AND BLUSEY....LET THE GUITARS DIRTY!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 27, 2005 00:13

tomk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I kinda liked what he did with Dylan's Under the
> Red Sky.
> Actually, he didn't really do anything.
> Seems like he just put mikes in front of all the
> instruments
> and pushed the "record" button.
> I like that record. Many don't. Some of Dylan's
> stuff is an acquired taste.

Funny you should mention UTRS. That was one I put on the other day for Bob's 64th - that and another forgotten one, Knocked out Loaded. Decided to go with some obscure ones on his birthday. I always was sorta fond of UTRS, what with some of the guests like Crosby, Elton, SRV, etc. Has some decent tunes. Don Was certainly didn't hurt it, like you said. Always like 2X2 and Handy Dandy (my daughter loved that at the time - she was a mere 2) for some reason. Knocked out Loaded and Down in the Groove certainly represent the nadir of his 80's output. Not much to recommend either lame disc.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 27, 2005 00:31

Don Was is a good producer who can make the guitars sound dirty.
Just listen to The Black Crowes' Lions. Great guitars.

It's Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. It could be that a twin wants it to sound more slick.

Date: May 27, 2005 18:19

""It's Don Was & The Glimmer Twins. It could be that A TWIN wants it to sound more slick.""

it's right Bowie.
Who is that twin? I think Mick.
So, Mick and Don, we don't want a sound more slick...we want it DIRTY, LOAD AND BLUSEY! NOTHING BUT THIS.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 27, 2005 18:34

I was thinking abou the whole producer thing earlier. I think it would do wonders for the Stones to get the right producer for this last album. To make a for real "Last Album Masterpiece". We constantly automatically decide it's Jagger who is to blame for slick production. I agree with this, but I also believe that at least he is more willing to go out on a limb, maybe take a risk than Keith. Keith IMO has turned very much into the equivalent of the Diva w/martini in hand, a' la Judy Garland :" Ah... honey, my captain...I was working the Goddamn boards 45 yearrrrs ago, ...I've seen it all...". Keith ultimately has become lazy. Too lazy to allow the Stones to still grow this late in the game. It's a shame because we can see what a letahl punch Keith can still pack when pressed.
"Main Offender" and "Talk is Cheap"are the furthest evolution of the Rolling Stones souind. It is the edge, the abyss. No one has gone beyond. Only keith, with Jagger could do it. It would take a ballsy producer to point them in the right direction. Don Was is a sycophant, an bootkisser, an A.R.licker, Someone either like Rick Rubin or someone completely out of the Stonesworld should come in. Someone who will make Keith respect him. maybe an old Country type producer. Or a black guy who wants to cut some Rock. I'd LOVE to see awhole overall conceptualized sounding album.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 27, 2005 18:37

And don´t forget to let the SNARE of Charlie´s drums crack (like 1978 for example). We are not interested in that Bryan Adams drumsound like on Don´t Stop.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 27, 2005 18:38

Rick Rubin would be a superb choice. I think of keith more like Peter O'Toole if you know what I mean....

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 27, 2005 19:22

The Stones have more taste and knowledge of rock n roll than a lot of their fans, thats why they hired Don Was, its mainly because records like "What Up Dog" are as good or better than anything the Stones came up with since Tattoo You, blaming record producers is bullshit, its all about the songs boys. The Stones checked that with B2B, it doesnt matter how hip the producer is,if the songs are mediocre its no go, hence 8 years since the last one. I have a good feeling about the new one though, Keith and Mick really seem friendly at the moment........

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 28, 2005 00:49

Let me say this about other producers for the Stones than Mr. "Was" Fagenson:

Somebody on this board mentioned Rob Fraboni. Though I think he would be a good choice, I guess his sound is not much grittier than that of Mr. Was.

Steve Jordan produced Main Offender. And he also produced High Water by the Texan blues rock band Fabulous Thunderbirds, with Danny Kortchmar co-producing. That record has edges, blues, harp and an experimental side to it as well. Then again, the Stones probably won't want to copy the Fab T-birds.

my suggestion: Glyn Johns - why not come full circle?

And I'd like to suggest Mousse T. as a producer for Mick's next solo record.

And actually, I like the Don Was produced albums and think he'll be able to achieve something good this time around as well.

But though this may be the final album with a tour for the Stones, it may not be the final album just yet. Just look at how many albums the Beatles still recorded after they quit touring ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home