Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why has keith chosen slipping away for his set ?
Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 2, 2014 18:51

stonehearted
Slipping Away is perhaps the most memorable of his post-1980 songs on which he sings. It was written at a time when the future of the Stones was unceratin what with the fallout of WWIII and Jagger's solo career, and he was reflecting on the possible loss of everything he'd worked all those years to work for and maintain, and hence a huge part of his life.

Also, it is the last of his straight-ahead guitar based, band-sounding songs with the Stones (with the exception of Theif in the Night) that he sings on before the years and years of acoustic guitar and piano ballad noodlings where he would not so much as sing as growl nonmelodically (a la Losing My Lunch).

Yeah, I don't care at all for those type of songs by Keith, either, but hey I'd like to hear Too Rude, so what do I know. Slipping Away, for me, is his best song after the three from the 70s.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 2, 2014 18:55

Thanks stoneage. I guess you are not that keen on it ( I never know if posts are to be taken seriously or not ! )
I actually do like slipping away, although I don't think I would be considered a hard core fan amongst experienced IORRians Well.
As I was trying to say when I started the thread, I really like the way keith seems to accept his limitations and still try to communicate something interesting. I guess I was always roll more than rock!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2014 19:23

StonesCat
stonehearted
Slipping Away is perhaps the most memorable of his post-1980 songs on which he sings. It was written at a time when the future of the Stones was unceratin what with the fallout of WWIII and Jagger's solo career, and he was reflecting on the possible loss of everything he'd worked all those years to work for and maintain, and hence a huge part of his life.

Also, it is the last of his straight-ahead guitar based, band-sounding songs with the Stones (with the exception of Theif in the Night) that he sings on before the years and years of acoustic guitar and piano ballad noodlings where he would not so much as sing as growl nonmelodically (a la Losing My Lunch).

Yeah, I don't care at all for those type of songs by Keith, either, but hey I'd like to hear Too Rude, so what do I know. Slipping Away, for me, is his best song after the three from the 70s.

Good choice, but they seem to have completely ignored Dirty Work in the latest round of tour rehearsals.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 2, 2014 20:01

Dirty Work was not rehearsed because they know it is he nadir of their entire career.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home