Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: "Exile On Main Street" Mastering History
Date: February 10, 2024 02:54

I agree with what you say but when I bought them in the 80's there was nothing vinyl that sounded like them.

Spud
Mobile Fidelity half speed masters...

Now there's topic in itself.

Wonderfully pressed records, dead quiet top notch RCA vinyl. beautiful sweet top end...

...but half the time they flush the baby out with the bathwater by engineering all the Rock N Roll out of it.

If you take the MFSL Sticky Fingers for example, there's too much of a smile in the EQ curve and the record sounds far too polite.

The Rolling Stones aren't supposed to sound "nice " !

They'd have done exactly the same thing with Exile.

Many folks love MF half speed masters, especially amongst HiFi enthusiasts, and that's fine.

If I wanted to impress you with the high frequency resolution of my cartridge or speakers, I might well play you a MF record...

...but I judge a system simply by how much it lets you enjoy the music, and I judge a record pressing in exactly the same way.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 12, 2024 10:18

Don't get me wrong, the MF half speed masters are technically great records , with superb sound quality...

...but the equalisation and mastering don't always serve the nature of the music so well as they serve our "audiophile" sensibilities.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: March 5, 2024 14:37

Rip This Joint Master comparison

Password:RTJ

Here´s the Rip This Joint comparison. Rip This Joint isn’t the best track to compare but it is what it is smiling smiley
The Achilles heel of the experiment is that in order to export it into a videofile I had to transcode the FLAC back to AAC 320kbps audio, so it is lossy in the end.
But as a comparison it works nicely, because all the different files are treated equally.

The two last samples in the timeline - the flat transfer and then the vinyl rip (again) - is volume compensated +6db. Otherwise it´s just a huge drop in volume and difficult to hear what’s going on.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: March 6, 2024 00:55

Thanks for the comparison video! Must have taken some time to put together.

I'm happy with my 1994 Virgin CD.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 6, 2024 20:22

very good job for the "Rip This Joint Master comparison" !

it is really a master of taste and mode.

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: March 7, 2024 14:59

Thanks for making the comparison. Pretty cool to hear them like that. The SHM seems odd sounding to my ears.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home