Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: "Exile On Main Street" Mastering History
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 10, 2024 03:51

I researched this subject several years ago
and my findings were that the 1994 Virgin
Master was the best choice.

Note that this is for CD. I have no information
about vinyl, although I have the original
vinyl release from the summer of 1972, which
I purchased the week it was released.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-15 02:13 by Chacho.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 10, 2024 07:30

I never bought any of these CDs back in the 80s because they were so hissy. The 1994 Virgins were a revelation when they came out, and they still do fine for me.

The 2009/2010 versions I don't like (like most other people, it seems).

There appear to be a number of Japan versions but I don't know any of them so no judgement here.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 10, 2024 15:17

Nellcote1971
djgab
what about the half speed mastering ?

I didn't find much difference to the 2010 remaster but maybe that's just me.

With vinyl, how much difference you'll hear depends a lot on the playback equipment.

On a basic cheap turntable, there are so many losses and so much additive electromechanical distortion that you won't notice much difference between alternative pressings or masterings unless there is significant variance in the EQ or tonal balance.

With a high quality turntable, the differences can be very marked.

The original Abbey Road half speed master is not a terrible sounding record but sounds like it's cut from the same 2010 overly compressed master as the anniversary deluxe release.

The subsequent half speed master that Miles did for the boxed set is a different beast altogether. Mastered sympathetically from the flat transfer, it has a much more natural & musical dynamic range.
It's simply a much more enjoyable listen.

The biggest irony for me is that, whilst CD and subsequent digital file formats can potentially handle a much wider dynamic range than any primitive electromechanical recording and playback devices, the industry caters more and more for the lowest common denominator of mobile devices and "smart speakers"...with everything engineered and "brick wall" compressed to sound impressive on poor and mediocre playback equipment.

It's a huge shame...but there we are.sad smiley

( The problem with Digital these days is not the technology itself.
It's the decisions taken and the lack of care often evident in the mastering process)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-10 15:19 by Spud.

Posted by: Nellcote1971 ()
Date: January 10, 2024 16:21

That's good to know that the new one sounds better, I've only heard the Abbey Rd one and immediately sold it.
Will check out Miles' one, need a pristine copy to entertain guests anyway winking smiley

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: January 10, 2024 16:23

Spud

The original Abbey Road half speed master is not a terrible sounding record but sounds like it's cut from the same 2010 overly compressed master as the anniversary deluxe release.

Thanks for the comments.
I have to listen again carefully.

Date: January 10, 2024 20:38

Did anyone come across this Exile pressing?

[www.discogs.com]

UK 72, but not the usual Artisan stamps but EG ALLEN in the runout

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 10, 2024 21:56

Nellcote1971

[www.discogs.com]

Nope, only Artisan for me smiling smiley

This thread made me want to hear the different versions side by side.
If anybody have the different versions (Needle-drop/CBS1986/Virgin/(Universal)/Half-speed2) at hand (I have no way of ripping mine anymore), I volunteer making a mash-up.
There will be an inevitable discussion about compression and conversion given that mp3 is the only way of editing these things together, but still.... just for fun and strictly for research - purposes, right?

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 10, 2024 22:09

RobberBride
Nellcote1971

[www.discogs.com]

Nope, only Artisan for me smiling smiley

This thread made me want to hear the different versions side by side.
If anybody have the different versions (Needle-drop/CBS1986/Virgin/(Universal)/Half-speed2) at hand (I have no way of ripping mine anymore), I volunteer making a mash-up.
There will be an inevitable discussion about compression and conversion given that mp3 is the only way of editing these things together, but still.... just for fun and strictly for research - purposes, right?

I did a vinyl rip of the original half-speed remaster. It must be in Jaap's vault.

Edit: I think I found it. Let me know if you want it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-10 22:15 by ChrisL.

Date: January 10, 2024 23:02

ChrisL

I did a vinyl rip of the original half-speed remaster. It must be in Jaap's vault.

My mail is open smiling smiley

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 10, 2024 23:06

RobberBride
ChrisL

My mail is open smiling smiley

I just sent what I have to you.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 11, 2024 10:11

Chacho
I am in the process of re-recording my MP3 collection from my vinyl, cassette, and CD collections, in a higher bitrate. Currently I am working on The Rolling Stones and in particualar "Exile On Main Street". I own the original vinyl album purchased on the date of release in the USA in 1972. In addition I have the 1994 re-mastered CD version, and the 2010 remastered Deluxe CD version. I have just ordered from eBay the 1987 CD version (CGK-40489).

What I am trying to research is the history of the re-mastering of "Exile on Main Street". So far from what I can find there are only 4. (I am talking about the USA history, excluding obscure releases such as from Japan or whatever)

1. The 1972 Vinyl Record version
2. The 1987 CD version
3. The 1994 CD version
4. The 2010 Deluxe CD version

There is very little information available on this subject.

Could anyone in the know here elaborate on this subject. Did I skip any mastering versions in my list above? What are peoples opinions of the different versions? Etc, Etc...

Everything is better than the 2010 Marcussen remaster.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:15

Nellcote1971
That's good to know that the new one sounds better, I've only heard the Abbey Rd one and immediately sold it.
Will check out Miles' one, need a pristine copy to entertain guests anyway winking smiley

I suspect, though I'm not certain, that the Half Speed mastered Exile now on the shelves in record shops is the one from the boxed set .
I'd guess that the current stock of 71 to 2016 albums marked as Half Speed Mastered are all repackaged releases of the stuff in the boxed set.

I could be wrong about this though and I haven't heard them.

[FWIW, some are better sounding than others but the 71-2016 boxed set are probably, across the board, the best sounding reissues of the whole digitally mastered era.
They don't sound overtly impressive but you can better listen into them in the way that you can with old analogue releases.

Hope that makes sense...it's difficult to put that difference into words. smiling smiley ]

Edited to add,

Of the old analogue stuff .
I have an original Artisan pressing that I've owned from new and which remains my no 1 choice for playing loud and dancin'...but my other favourite, with a sound perhaps better suited to more relaxed listening, is a German Electrola pressing, I think from the EMI period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-11 10:26 by Spud.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:41

Thanks will check out the Elektrola. I have several Artisans, all great, like the Japanese 72 as well although it's probably a bit too polite. Some seem to love the Japanese 79 which I haven't heard yet.

Date: January 11, 2024 10:52

You might find the Electrola a bit "polite" too ...but the top end is really sweet and the drums have great weight.

[ I've probably got more copies of Exile than any other album...I could paper a wall with the post cards ! grinning smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-11 10:54 by Spud.

Date: January 11, 2024 11:31

Haha that's great. Same here, there is no such thing as too many Exiles... Funnily, l only got 13 post cards out of my 9 copies, the hunt continues winking smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 11, 2024 13:42

Do not forget that other one

HMN

Date: January 11, 2024 15:24

Didn't find any differences in the 2016 HSM to the (bad) 2010 remaster. Willing to give the 2020 HSM another shot, the one with ROOM 30 in the runout.

Btw Spud, do you know if the UK 79 EMI is the same as the German 77 EMI/Elektrola? Gave the UK a spin earlier and didn't like it at all. I fancy those moments when the horns blow off the roof on RTJ, SV etc. and that one completely diminishes them. Weird volume changes as well.

Date: January 11, 2024 16:31

Wouldn't have a clue to be honest.
I can't even remember when I bought the German Electrola pressing but early 80s would be about right I think.

[How do you feel about those red label German Teldec pressings of the old Decca stuff ? ]

Date: January 11, 2024 17:18

I only have Around and Around on Teldec. I think it's solid, can't compete with early Decca pressings but it's definitely good value for money.

Date: January 12, 2024 10:14

Nothing could match the original Decca pressings.

....and they were round and flat, with the hole the middle.

This alone would be an achievement for modern vinyl.

But I do quite like those red label Teldec pressings when I'm in the mood.

They can sound a wee bit sterile but they're well pressed and quiet, with a slightly reserved but clear and detailed sound.

But getting back to Exile.

I think of all their albums it's the one with the most fascinating and enthralling sound.

On first acquaintance it can seem to be a chaotic ball of noise, but the more you listen, the more it reveals the depth of its soul and greatness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-12 10:44 by Spud.

Date: January 12, 2024 13:08

Exactly this. It's fascinating. I never got it when people called Exile "murky" (still don't) because to my ears it sounded so great. The drums alone... I understand it's not Dark side of the Moon and you won't be able to decipher what exactly is going on here and there but this is rock'n'roll in the end. It's purified greatness, the essence of... everything.

Date: January 12, 2024 13:21

Nellcote1971
Exactly this. It's fascinating. I never got it when people called Exile "murky" (still don't) because to my ears it sounded so great. The drums alone... I understand it's not Dark side of the Moon and you won't be able to decipher what exactly is going on here and there but this is rock'n'roll in the end. It's purified greatness, the essence of... everything.

Poetry. Pure gold.

Date: January 12, 2024 13:42

It's not murky, and the sound is great...but it's not a very accessible mix

it takes decent playback kit to really unravel it..and I think that's what folks are often alluding to when they call it "murky".

Date: January 14, 2024 16:53

Spud
I can't even remember when I bought the German Electrola pressing but early 80s would be about right I think. ]

Was able to pick up an Elektrola copy at a record fair today and am really liking it so far. As you said, it's a bit more polite than the Artisan and it lacks a bit punch and in-your-faceness bit it has a tremendous bass and extremely quiet vinyl. It is way better than the UK 79 and certainly a different mastering.

Date: January 14, 2024 17:22

I'll add, those drum brushes on I Just Want To See His Face are stunning and way more present than on any Artisan, love that version!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2024 05:59

A bit late to this...

To my understanding the 1987 CBS cds were not remastered - they were just the vinyl masters transferred.

Which explains the dynamic range of those cds compared to the moronic 2009 remasters by oh nevermind.

Bob Ludwig/Virgin Records is it.

Digitally... probably will never be better.

Giles Martin's team... very likely - but probably very close to Ludwig if it were to happen.

Date: January 15, 2024 10:19

Nellcote1971
Spud
I can't even remember when I bought the German Electrola pressing but early 80s would be about right I think. ]

Was able to pick up an Elektrola copy at a record fair today and am really liking it so far. As you said, it's a bit more polite than the Artisan and it lacks a bit punch and in-your-faceness bit it has a tremendous bass and extremely quiet vinyl. It is way better than the UK 79 and certainly a different mastering.

Glad you managed to pick one up...and pleased that your initial impressions of it are positive.smiling smiley

Date: January 15, 2024 12:17

So in terms of the more recent LP releases, is the following correct?

2010 Marcussen remaster (which I also found in the first 71-06 box set)
2016 1st half-speed remaster (with Abbey Rd Obi based on a Marcussen file)
2018 2nd half-speed remaster (only in the new 71-06 box based on flat transfer)
2020 individual release of 2018

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-16 18:24 by Nellcote1971.

Date: January 15, 2024 12:31

I certainly think that makes sense for the Digital era vinyl releases ...but I don't know it for fact.

Date: January 16, 2024 15:11

Was able to spin a copy from the first 71-06 box. It's not the flat transfer, it's the standard Marcussen remaster (with "www.gzvinyl.com" in the runout). According to discogs there's a US version with the same barcode and "TML" in the runout. Anyone has this?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home