Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dealers and Junkies
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:42

Well, I've been reading all the posts about ticket prices, and it's occurred to me that perhaps the Stones relationship with their fans is not unlike the relationship between a drug dealer and his customers.

Ever see the James Bond film Live And Let Die? What is Mr. Big's plan for world domination? It is to give away free smack. Until all his competitors are put out of business while the number of addicts worldwide doubles or triples or whatever. Then he will begin to market HIS dope, at vastly infalted prices.

I'm sure the Stones never had this kind of evil master plan in mind, but it sure has turned out that way hasn't it?

While all those stadium shows in '89, '94 and '97 were not free, the tickets were pretty reasonable. Millions of people attended, and got hooked on the euphoric feeling that only a live Stones show can provide.

Then they turned the screws. $150 in '99. $300 in '02. $450 in '05. And we keep paying, because we need that fix. We need to experiece again that euphoric feeling, recreate that greatest night of our lives we had so long ago.

And as far as putting the competition out of business, think about this:

With all the money you're forking over to the Stones this year, will there be anything left to buy tickets to see anyone else? Robert Plant is touring. Pretty cheap tickets, too. But if all your money is tied up in Stones tickets, too bad. Robert loses and so do you. And forget taking a chance on seeing someone you're just a casual fan of. Can't afford that. Not anymore.

Maybe it would be worth it if each time I paid more, I got to see them in a smaller venue. You know, $100 for a stadium, $300, for an arena, $500 for a theatre, $1000 for an intimate club, $2,000,000 for my backyard patio (just kidding), but it hasn't worked out like that. Each time I pay more for the same old stadium shit. Don't get me wrong, no one puts on a stadium show like the Stones (unless maybe Pink Floyd returns), but we've seen it all before. No longer what I like to call a Life Enhancing Experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-16 15:38 by tatters.

Re: Dealers and Junkies
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:17

I don't know... this is stretching things a bit. I'm a fan of metaphors and parallels. But as far as creating new junkies in '94 and '97 that now just can not live without the euphoric fix.
Does that make Aerosmith a methadone program?

Date: May 16, 2005 15:29

I quit Aerosmith (cold turkey) in 1980.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:30

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does that make Aerosmith a methadone program?

Great reply, man....
Regards
salar

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:51

The Stones Mastermind in this case is M. Cohl!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:04

I remember that the same kinds of reviews were posted in ´02-´03 and they sold out, again, the entire tour...

Since 1969 that they have been criticized for the ticket prices, remember...?

I am sure that as soon as we all ear the brand new album we will all forget this and start running to get to the shows...!

Of course it is easier for me to write like this because in Europe, and sprecially Portugal, the tickets are much cheaper: FOS € 40,00 (Coimbra 2003)

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:07

it's just like drugs....CAPITALISM.....the sh*t is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....

The Stones know it all too well.....the ONLY way they would EVER lower the prices is if nobody came....

which isn't going to happen....

drug dealers function the exact same way....

Date: May 16, 2005 16:21

stickyfingers101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's just like drugs....CAPITALISM.....the sh*t is
> only worth what someone is willing to pay for
> it....
>
> The Stones know it all too well.....the ONLY way
> they would EVER lower the prices is if nobody
> came....
>
> which isn't going to happen....
>
> drug dealers function the exact same way....

Even if no one came they would STILL not lower the prices. They would just move the gigs to smaller venues. This was the direction I thought things were headed in. Fewer and fewer people paying more and more to see them in smaller and smaller venues until they were basically playing only at private parties for their wealthiest and most demented fans. Incredibly, that's not the case! They book the stadiums, raise the prices .... and we keep filling those seats .... using half our brains. The half that says, "They can do no wrong!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-16 18:20 by tatters.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:31

I agree, tatters....their formula works...the people keep coming and keep paying.....

besides, even if it didn't work, Corporate America (and world) will always pick up the slack on tickets that the public doesn't buy and give them away to clients based on real or perceived importance of those clients....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home