Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates
Date: February 28, 2014 11:38

StonedInTokyo
Brstonesfan
Unfortunately, this is the best Keith we will get. Even before the physical
decline, he neglected to practice for years as we saw in that painful 2010
tribute video . This is why Mick T must be made a full member and integrated into the entire show.

Using your own words, be intellectually honest (with yourself) and accept that Mick T being made a full member and integrated into the entire show ain't never gonna happen.

...let's get back on topic...please...

Hey Stoned, don't do things like that with us, my heart nearly stopped bumping!
But after reading your words again it was like "Puuuuuuh, lucky us".
You artful dodger used a double negation (ain't never = will not never) so your conclusion is it too that it "might" happen.
Holy Moly!
winking smiley

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 28, 2014 12:02

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
StonedInTokyo
Brstonesfan
tribute video . This is why Mick T must be made a full member and integrated into the entire show.

Using your own words, be intellectually honest (with yourself) and accept that Mick T being made a full member and integrated into the entire show ain't never gonna happen.

...let's get back on topic...please...

Hey Stoned, don't do things like that with us, my heart nearly stopped bumping!
But after reading your words again it was like "Puuuuuuh, lucky us".
You artful dodger used a double negation (ain't never = will not never) so your conclusion is it too that it "might" happen.
Holy Moly!
winking smiley

If it just gets us back on topic I'm "Happy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 12:03 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 28, 2014 13:10

First blossom

Date: February 28, 2014 13:22

rollingon
Brstonesfan
tribute video . This is why Mick T must be made a full member and integrated into
the entire show.

Ronnie's playing seems to be quite good, but why is he playing so little, can't understand this...

He plays a lot, but many of the songs they are playing aren't songs that naturally needs extended solos, ie the Brian era songs etc.

If one listens closely to songs like IORR, SFTD, GS and others you'll hear Ronnie playing lots of motifs and fills underneath Keith's riffing and solos.

He could play more on JJF and BS, though. At least more varied, imo.

Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: February 28, 2014 13:42

Aquamarine
MrsHop
"See ya there"- his speech seems slurred to me. In a nutshell: he sounds very like someone who's had a small stroke to me.

He's always talked like that, though, increasingly as the years go by. I think this is reading too much into it, to be honest--I'm not a nurse, but my father had multiple strokes, large and small, so I do have some knowledge, and a small stroke just doesn't produce any behavior I see Keith exhibiting. Just IMO, i don't even play a doctor on TV!

Different point--yeah, he makes mistakes sometimes, but often he sounds bloody great to me, and I and others who enjoy his playing, and don't care if it's not perfect, keep being told we're deaf or in denial. Which we ain't. It's a bit depressing to be told you're wrong if you enjoy something.

Sorry to hear about your Father- truly. I know it's not a 'competition', but my Mum has also suffered a series of strokes- 2 big ones & many TIAs.I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. Everyone's different though- some people make remarkable recoveries, but you're probably right- as- thinking about it: you just can't get insurance for long haul travel if you have a stroke history. I know he's always been kind of slurry, but it's MUCH more pronounced now. At one point I nearly quipped that it's almost like his new teeth don't fit, but figured I'd get in trouble if I said that (!) ;-). You'd think a guy with millions in the bank wouldn't have a problem getting dentures that fit afterall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 13:47 by MrsHop.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 28, 2014 14:01

MrsHop
Aquamarine
MrsHop
"See ya there"- his speech seems slurred to me. In a nutshell: he sounds very like someone who's had a small stroke to me.

He's always talked like that, though, increasingly as the years go by. I think this is reading too much into it, to be honest--I'm not a nurse, but my father had multiple strokes, large and small, so I do have some knowledge, and a small stroke just doesn't produce any behavior I see Keith exhibiting. Just IMO, i don't even play a doctor on TV!

Different point--yeah, he makes mistakes sometimes, but often he sounds bloody great to me, and I and others who enjoy his playing, and don't care if it's not perfect, keep being told we're deaf or in denial. Which we ain't. It's a bit depressing to be told you're wrong if you enjoy something.

Sorry to hear about your Father- truly. I know it's not a 'competition', but my Mum has also suffered a series of strokes- 2 big ones & many TIAs.I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. Everyone's different though- some people make remarkable recoveries, but you're probably right- as- thinking about it: you just can't get insurance for long haul travel if you have a stroke history. I know he's always been kind of slurry, but it's MUCH more pronounced now. At one point I nearly quipped that it's almost like his new teeth don't fit, but figured I'd get in trouble if I said that (!) ;-). You'd think a guy with millions in the bank wouldn't have a problem getting dentures that fit afterall

Keith has always had an odd speech pattern. One of my sisters slurs her speech and it's more pronounced when she's tired. There's also a bunch of medications that can affect speech. It may just be a nervous habit. Could be anything, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 14:38 by latebloomer.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 28, 2014 16:15

I saw Eric Clapton close his Japan Tour at the Budokan tonight. He's the only guitarist in the band, so he carries a heavy load and plays all solos. It's a bit of a "hits heavy" tour, but he has ample room to work out.

After seeing Keith struggle two nights before, it was a little poignant seeing Eric solo effortlessly for 3+ minutes on "I Shot the Sheriff". I felt a tinge of sadness, realizing how much Keith's abilities have been affected by the arthritis (and the passing years as well, I guess). Bottom line for me, though is that if he wants to keep going, I'll be there, wincing a bit when he fails, but cheering when he succeeds.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 28, 2014 16:33

Keith struggle? a little poignant?confused smileyconfused smiley
I don't know if that makes any sense.grinning smiley
Anyway, I was taking a nap during "I shot the sheriff" and "Layla" tonight.

Date: February 28, 2014 16:52

grinning smiley How was the Clapton-show, Toru?

Date: February 28, 2014 17:54

latebloomer

First blossom

Nice! It's good, when they have time to see something of the cities they are in. Probably an advantage of longer breaks between gigs for them, too. Is this in a Japanese botanical garden?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 18:00 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: February 28, 2014 19:15

Toru A

Come on, Toru. The intros to IORR and GS were shaky (at best). Clapton still plays with ease; having attended Stones shows all over the world for the past 40 years, I was just remembering a time when Keith could play easily as well. I didn't take a nap - I agree that it was a "warhorses" show, which is unusual for Clapton, but the women loved it, and he's entitled to play what he wants, right?

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 28, 2014 20:45

drbryant
Toru A

Come on, Toru. The intros to IORR and GS were shaky (at best). Clapton still plays with ease; having attended Stones shows all over the world for the past 40 years, I was just remembering a time when Keith could play easily as well. I didn't take a nap - I agree that it was a "warhorses" show, which is unusual for Clapton, but the women loved it, and he's entitled to play what he wants, right?

It would be interesting to know what is really causing the problems with Keith's playing or why there seems to be so much uncertainty with his capability of playing and why he makes quite a lot mistakes, starting songs wrong, wrong chords, problems with solos, bum notes and so on...

Is it arthritis, lack of exercise, some kind of stroke, the history of substance abuse, combination of several things?

There is so much speculation but no one doesn't really seem to know...

Little mistakes are no such a bad thing but it's not nice as a fan to be nervous all the time if Keith can play or not...

Keith can still put groove into the songs at times, make no mistake about that!!!

Date: February 28, 2014 21:06

rollingon
drbryant
Toru A

It would be interesting to know what is really causing the problems with Keith's playing or why there seems to be so much uncertainty with his capability of playing and why he makes quite a lot mistakes, starting songs wrong, wrong chords, problems with solos, bum notes and so on...

Is it arthritis, lack of exercise, some kind of stroke, the history of substance abuse, combination of several things?

Little mistakes are no such a bad thing but it's not nice as a fan to be nervous all the time if Keith can play or not...

Keith can still put groove into the songs at times, make no mistake about that!!!

Yes, you're right it would be interesting to know. When I saw the Glastonbury-"show" I couldn't believe it! EXTREMELY GOOD PERFORMANCE of ALL OF THEM!! Even Keith's solos worked.
Just in time as they say in business-language i guess...
And then, on tour daily grind, i sometimes wonder if they just hold back the information that Keith has Alzheimer or something like that. His drug abuse will take its toll, that's for sure.
Disturbing...

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: February 28, 2014 21:06

rollingon

I saw 4 shows last year and each time they were about to start Brown Sugar I cringed for fear of Keith screwing it up. He never did. I did witness Toronto 1's Gimme Shelter which was a mess.

I imagine it's a combination of everything catching up with him. He's 70 and led a rough life. You can't run from it forever.

Date: February 28, 2014 21:34

TimeWaitsforNooooOne
And then, on tour daily grind, i sometimes wonder if they just hold back the information that Keith has Alzheimer or something like that. His drug abuse will take its toll, that's for sure.
Disturbing...

He's still quite cogent in interviews. He seems quite sharp, in fact in many ways he seems better than he did in the shows right after the "coconut tree accident". I love his recent interview where he holds up his guitar and says "you notice this has five strings. I'm too cheap to buy the sixth one" or something like that. However, his arthritis is very clear - I am sure that is the primary reason for his problems from time to time. Arthritis can be very painful at times.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 28, 2014 21:45

drbryant
TimeWaitsforNooooOne
Disturbing...

He's still quite cogent in interviews. He seems quite sharp, in fact in many ways he seems better than he did in the shows right after the "coconut tree accident". I love his recent interview where he holds up his guitar and says "you notice this has five strings. I'm too cheap to buy the sixth one" or something like that. However, his arthritis is very clear - I am sure that is the primary reason for his problems from time to time. Arthritis can be very painful at times.

I would be nice if he himself commented on that arthritis-thing somehow, it must be really nasty illness for a guitar player and maybe it's also mentally too painful to even talk about it publicly...

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: February 28, 2014 21:51

Didn't Scotty Moore have to stp playing due to arthritis ?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 1, 2014 01:04

EJM
Didn't Scotty Moore have to stp playing due to arthritis ?

Yes, he did. I think Keith does an amazing job under the circumstances.

Regarding his speech, and sorry this is off the topic of the Tokyo show, I was re-watching the Blues in America doc last night, and in that, where he's doing a serious interview about the blues, he sounds totally coherent and straightforward. I think the slurring is more part of the "Keith" persona, if you know what I mean.

Date: March 1, 2014 01:30

The Stones' music luckily has never been "at ease" in any way smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 1, 2014 01:32

Any Tokyo-1 Feb 26 Stones 2014 show live updates ?????

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 1, 2014 02:11

More turned up! I have just found some new videos, so we can get back on topic again!!! I can't read the description in Japanese, but it is the right show, is it? Thanks to one uploader (where did he/she take that from, somewhere at the side with a rail, is it a loge?).

Satisfaction (complete)

Brown Sugar (nearly complete, misses part of the intro)

Start Me Up (nearly complete, misses part of the intro)

Jumpin Jack Flash (nearly complete, misses part of the intro)

EDIT: some corrections regarding missing beginnings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-01 12:20 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2014 05:47

Please keep ON TOPIC. This is a thread about the Tokyo-1 show. Please do NOT discuss Mick's hair, Keith's health, the sun, the moon or other off topics here. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Date: March 1, 2014 05:52

okay - wanted to discuss about that - because of the post that did not appear any more - took me quite a time to write - but in the meantime it has changed and therefore - I deleted my post....confused smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-01 06:11 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Date: March 1, 2014 06:28

StrawberriesBlueberries
latebloomer

First blossom

Nice! It's good, when they have time to see something of the cities they are in. Probably an advantage of longer breaks between gigs for them, too. Is this in a Japanese botanical garden?

....but anyway..... I also wanted to refer to this photo......and the appearance of the front man on stage......which has nothing to do with the tokyo show.....but with the refering post that disappeared.....

Date: March 1, 2014 08:12

Mick Jagger in front of a cherry blossom tree in Tokyo is as on topic as it may get, even if it is more natural in the general Tokyo thread which is still here:

Tokyo Rolling Stones shows and travel info : [www.iorr.org]

I delete posts which are obviosuly FAR OUT OF TOPIC, like hair and health discussions. They are both personal and NOT related to Tokyo show reports. But please understand that I do have a life, I do not fine check everything post on IORR, there will always be on and off topic discussuions going on, no harm, but the fact that one or a few 10% off-topic posts survive here does not really mean that is the standard. I just DO NOT want these endless wig discussions going on in the wrong places. If you are interested in wigs, go get one. If you are interested in healt issues, go see a doctor. Health is a personal matter, and not open for discussion in the Tokyo show report thread. Wonder why I have to spell out this really.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: March 1, 2014 08:44

The health of one the Stones is not related to a Show ???

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 1, 2014 10:14

rusty

Get back on topic or get out.

Date: March 1, 2014 10:21

rusty

Not really, unless you are their doctor and you have been allowed to discuss their health in the public.

I do see that there are a lot of amateeur doctors around, talking about health, wigs, strokes, dehydration, somebody falling over, finger problems, who knows may be there will be discussions about eyes, I think may be they use eye drops, and why does Mick drink all the time? Is it really EVIAN water or what is it?

Are there any real doctors or wig experts around here? Is it normal to discuss the health of a person in public? Without any medical records or personal approval whatsoever? If so, and I say IF SO, then it would be appropriate to start a separate HEALTH tread, but health and politics is pretty much "I think you think" really.

Let us move on with Tokyo-1 show comments. Thank you. And an odd cherry blossom or sushi comment, I am sure Mick is having some sushi or tofu by now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: March 1, 2014 10:36

So how are the Stones spending 10 days in Tokyo ? It must get pretty boring for them seeing as the weather is pretty bad these days.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 1, 2014 11:05

tornnfrayed
So how are the Stones spending 10 days in Tokyo ?

If I were them i'd rent a Tokyo club and practice some more, especially the rare 68-73 tracks they ran through in Paris.

It's a bit disheartening to compare the setlists of the 1st Dome show with what they ventured into durign the Feb. rehearsals... Imho if you plan 19 a songs a night you can, at the very least, include 3 rarities into the show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home