Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Yesterday was the day the music died for me
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2005 19:58

I am done. Finshed. As a very long time fan of the Stones this nonsense of bilking you out of an extra hundred dollars to buy a ticket is just plain vulgar. Not willing to pay the extortion fee to but tickets early I waited for the infamous Tickmaster to start there sale. Oh I could get tickets. But to pay $163.00 to sit in the rafters is just a little much and just rude. Anything on the lower concourse was $400.00 + . I can't even imagine where the $60.00 seats were. Probably in the toilet lot with a pair of headphones (Plus a fee for using the toilet). I heard Keith Richards say it wasn't the money and you can have it (yeah right). Try taking a dime from him and watch his head explode. Just so it doesn't sound like I am just picking on my favortie band I don't think ayone else out there touring right now is much better. Although I am sure if they could get $400.000 they would try it. I was willing to do $163 for a seat but I expected something better then row z . So thank you Rolling Stones and U2 and Paul Mccartney and the rest of the vultures out there for killing my love for music . To all of you who have coughed up close to a Thousand dollars for a couple of seats God bless you. I am pretty sure it will not be worth it. I have better things to do with grand then watch some dudes not play half the time and need to many other people on stage to cover there rear ends while they just stand around and pose . Sounds pretty bitter huh ? Well I tend to get bitter when I see bands and people who take advantage of others to stroke there own feeble egos.

Re: Yesterday was the day the music died for me
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 15, 2005 20:07

The Day The Music Died? Wow. Were your hands clenched in fisted rage?

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 15, 2005 20:07

I agree, it's expensive, very expensive but as long people pay these prices, the market mechanism of supply and demand is working and until then the Stones (Michael Cohl) is right.....

Hendrik Mulder

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2005 20:25

No my fists were not clenched. I have just had it with people screwing each other all the time . I mean enough is enough . Hendrik I DO understand what you are saying. But like I said in my thread God bless you who want to pay for this scam these guys are running. I saw a report on NBC last week about how the average fan can't get into a show with the scalpers and brokers out there. This is all way to sad . So what brillant idea do the Stones come up with ? Lets nail everyone for and extra hundred to join our lame webste. From which I understand from seveal people on this website got screwed.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 15, 2005 20:49

I hate to add to the sour grapes but I just have to agree with alot of what ole Lapetomane said! I live in Massachusetts, about 2 hours + from Fenway, lucky hey? Well maybe! I spent Saturday Morning on-line with TicketMaster and although I DETEST THEM, I had no choice because I also refused to support that criminal element called THE FAN CLUB! ( I also know if I get really depressed and desperate over the next few weeks, I'll be calling the other criminals, Ticket Brokers!) I was gettng absolutely NOWHERE for either show when one ticket came up for the
23rd at Fenway, Section B 15 rows back, now here's the punchline! $489, including a whopping $30 for TicketMaster, and I impulsively bought it! I spent the rest of the day beating myself up for spending SO MUCH $$$ ON A SEAT SO FAR BACK! I am not rich, but now I'm actually pissed at myself; I suppose it would be one thing if I were in row 1-7, and that would ALMOST justify the price, but to be 30+ rows back.....DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!AND THAT'S FACE VALUE!!!!!!!!!! I am now in the process of re-thinking exactly how far I want to go into debt to see a few Stones shows! I slept very little last night, trying to come up with a plan and today I'm tired and more angry than I was yesterday! AM I HAVING FUN? HELL NO!

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 15, 2005 21:02

I was able to pull up a single ticket (no doubles) shortly after tickets went on sale to the public for the second Fenway show. The price was $102.00 plus the $17+ "surcharge". This seat was about 400 feet from the stage. I declined the purchase.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 15, 2005 21:23

Lapetomane, I agree with you that prices are out of hand, but it seems so long as fans are willing to pay the price, that's what will be charged as I'm sure you know. I'm sitting out this tour as well because I'm tired of seeing the band in a huge stadium and paying through the nose for the privilage. God bless those who can afford it!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 15, 2005 23:42

Debra, You just realized your limits. Just, just enjoy the show and don't do it again Period

I know you get pissed. So do I. This same thing happened last year and once the dust settles and they start touring it will be the set list.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: May 15, 2005 23:56

$400? How overpriced are Formula 1 race day grandstand with roof tickets these days? Are they in the same price region or more?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 16, 2005 00:31

Well I feel your grief, but I dont even have tickets. (Yet, I hope)

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 16, 2005 01:02

Laptomane brings up a point that sometimes get lost in the formula.The ticketbrokers and scalpers. I thought scalping was illegal in most areas, or used to be . And what the Hell differnce is there between a scalper and a "ticket broker" other than an office and a website? Maybe if the laws were enforced a bit more, there wouldn't be this sudden rush of professionals willing to pay sky high prices and pass them on at even higher rates.

But then again, as Deb admits to also, I use them when I have to, so the spiral continues.

Date: May 16, 2005 01:10

Yes Steve! And when the DAMN FACE VALUE is $450, how can you expect a great deal from a broker?? It's going from bad to worse! And SHATTERED, I guess I may have indeed found my ceiling! I just finished looking on EBAY for a giggle and it's the same thing there! I hope that everyone serious about buying tickets first prints out the stadium/arena layout before they laid out the cash! I laugh at piss poor seats being advertised as " GREAT".

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 16, 2005 01:17

Debra: If you keep comparing other tickets you will get more pissed. You made a decision, have a ticket, and from my perspective will enjoy it.

Um, this is tough on the average fan. Just think, some people, average people don't even have a home computer. I guess standing in line in the rain is old fashioned.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 01:33

Sure it's expensive but compared to annual events like the Super Bowl, Wimbeldon, World Series, A Heavy Weight boxing match or NCAA Basketball finals, it s a deal. You could pay more and its annual. Who knows when the the Stones stop the touring. Its got to be soon.

What do you pay for semi finals or the Finals of the EUFA Cup or the World Cup?
How about a Broadway show with good seats? I know the 'Producers' were going for $500+ and its done 6 times a week.

Hey, atleast the Stones come close to your town..............
And you know the words..........

jjflash73@yahoo.com

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 16, 2005 01:33

When I saw the second Twickenham show I bought a terribly expensive ticket and I didn't realize how bad the seat was until I arrived at the stadium. It was situated way back partly under the roof. It was a total joke and not worth the 82 quid I had paid so I decided to get a better seat during the opening act and climbed over a few fences and ended up about 20 meters from the stage with a perfect view. They performed Salt Of The Earth that evening which later proved to be the only time during the Licks Tour and I was really excited about that. My point is that there are other ways to get better seats than being ripped off by a wealthy rock band.

Posted by: main offender ()
Date: May 16, 2005 02:18

I think everybody is right here. Some people think the money is worth it and some not. Me I would pay 10 times what the are asking, infact I would pay more for a Theatre show than to see the second comming of Jesus Christ. JMHO

Posted by: robert_stones1 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 02:52

it's definitely supply and demand at work here, but why shouldn't the band rather than the scalpers make the dough?

however, i have a feeling that A LOT of tix were bought up by the pros and that if we're patient and don't buy up their tix, they're gonna take a huge soaking...these shows appear to be sold out, but it's not FANS who sold 'em out...it's the BROKERS...let's scare the shit out of them and not buy 'em up....at least not yet....it's a few months til the first show!

Ya want cheap tix??? Show up at the hall the night of the show...I GUARANTEE there will be tix at the box office or scalpers begging you to pay face value...I will be right 100% of the time at stadiums, 85% at arenas,and maybe 10% at the clubs. BE patient!!!

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: May 16, 2005 03:15

As soon as the presale started you could have found a lot of those tickets immediatly at ebay. Are those fans scalping other fans or scalpers willing to pay even the presale fee or just have paid with the golden amexo card?

And then the articical behaviour during press conference when the BBC guy asked if they do it because of the money. Keith: You can have all the money, pal! That's really a bad joke as they are sucking us out.

I mostly saw around 20-25 shows worldwide each tour but I guess I will see max. one show this tour. And I know a lot of earlier hardcore fans they lost last tour. I think this tour they will proof that they are able to even piss off some more real follower.

So I guess I will more likely buy some nice things for the money!

Sad, sad, sad!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:41

The American system of selling tickts is actually the buyers very own fault. For years the buyers of tickets agreed with having seats on the field, and agreed with horribly expensive tickets. Now the situattion is that the promoters decide what you pay and where you sit. When bands like Pearl Jam wanted to change this situation they got boo-ed of the stage. There's just one thing to do, and that is boycot these kind of concerts, exactly like the European audience does. Right now as we speak a very famous and popular Eastern festival takes place. Normally they sell about 65.000 tickets. Now they changed some things, made it more expensive, and they only sold 15.000 tickets. I am sure that if the Stones decide to place seats on a field in Germany or Holland, they simply won't sell half of the tickets.

Someone paid $450 for a ticket...you could have taken a flight to Holland, have two nice days in Amsterdam and see the STones in the Kuip for that price!

Mathijs

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 16, 2005 13:24

What did Pearl Jam do to get boo-ed of the stage?
I know U2, at least last tour, huge general admission on some shows (Boston) and it worked out fine.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:41

Lap while I totally agree with your outrage over the inflated criminal ticketprice I think you should not let them take your music from you. There's a big difference between ticketprices to a stdium circus show and appreciation/love for music in genral. For starters there are zillins of other artists besides Stones/U2/Mccartney. And then you can always listen to endless repetition of Exile/Sticky/Ya-Ya's. When the music mattered and was real.

So don't let someone's greed rob you of the greatest art ever born in the universe!

The weird thing is that I don't even mind that much paying $ 400 to see the Stones. I have paid that much several times. But the crucial difference was that those times I chose to pay it myself. I scalped tix and spent my rent. Happily. It was my choice and also the music and show was well worth it. The Stones cared then. They came out and rocked hard with abandon. Oblivious and alone atop the throne. Nowadays there is a "band" (studded with backup musicians) past it's prime on a Big Hits warhorses tour in stadiums going through the motions that asks me via some pretentious FANCLUB to shell out a lot of money. I am sorry guys. You can say what you will. You have to know that we are turning a blind eye to what is actually going on if we pretend it's any different. I want to say it too: New album/new tour/new rules. I said it up until May 10th. But I am told through men in suits from some major sponsor corporation what wnd where the Stones are going to do. Jagger nods happily, Keith embarrasses us all by still pretending to find some way to act rebellious in all of this. Charlie is tired; it's plain to see. After the Q "Is it the last tour?" he said "Yes" before Jagger jumps in and says "No no.."Charlie deserves it to be over too. He has toured and rocked like it's no one's business through his cancer. Is there a tougher boy on this planet? Ronnie isn't really a Stone anymore. He seemed non present at the PC. Ronnie plays his ass off at his solo shows. Maybe Ronnie doesn't WANT to be a Stone anymore, but it's his paycheck so why not go along? He's a painter, husband and plays his music with friends. Good for him.
The Stones to me by now are Michael Cohl, Don Was, Chuck leavell, an idea and Mick Jagger to act as the mouth and give it life and human form.
I should stop writing because I get upset. That wouldn't be fair. The Stones gave all forever and ever it seems. They are the greatest. When I get upset it's not at them. It;s at the passing of time that is going to rob me of a great love.

Date: May 16, 2005 16:17

All those who can,t afford to see these inflated price USA gigs should go to Spain where FOS tickets were typically equivalent of 180$ last tour and general stadium standing 70$, plus more appreciative audiences and better manered than uk.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:19

When I see those prices I'm really glad to be European.
What pisses me off most is that the less spectacular the Stones show become the more they charge. Compare the Licks Tour to e.g. Voodoo Lounge or Steel Wheels. I would have understood if they charge high prices for those flashy and huge shows, but Licks was pretty much scaled down. And then you have the musical quality...Stones are famous for having on and off nights. I couldn't be pissed off more to pay $450+ and finally watching an off night show. Especially B2B and Licks had plenty off nights.
However I'm really suprised that so many people are willing to pay these sums!
That shows what an incredible crowd puller the Stones are. I just can't imagine any other artist being able to charge $450 for a stadium ticket and nevertheless selling out...maybe Michael Jackson. It's astonishing!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:19

I am not convinced that the European shows are going to be much cheaper. I mean, last time the top price was £150 - in London at least - and I don't call that cheap. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if this time round they are nearer £200. As a current comparison of sorts, I paid £125 for Cream (no regrets!) so I can't imagine them not going quite a lot higher than that. And while we're all whinging about the ticket prices, me included, and the way it's working out, let's not forget that some $250 million was also generated last time from the merchandise. I can choose to take a deep breath and swallow the ticket prices if I really want to instead of blowing it elsewhere, but not everyone can. I feel bad for diehards who can't and who, if anywhere, are going to end up in the rafters somewhere. They (and we!) deserve a better shot than that. I don't know the answer to ensuring that it is the true fans who get the decent tickets at affordable prices but I am dismayed that something as seemingly straightforward as buying a ticket could be so unbelievably convoluted. I personally don't reckon much to the Harvard etc. MBA graduates on Ticketmaster's management team who have turned ticket-buying into such a horribly Byzantine scenario. It used to be so much easier and cheaper to buy from the good old box office until they and other middlemen like them muscled in on the scene. At least you knew exactly where you were then. Now it's a complete lottery unless you have so much cash that the price means nothing. It's really very galling to think that they are being rewarded for this with some of our money. They are supposedly a respectable business but IMHO they are perilously close to joining the loathsome scalper species of parasite.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:32

London was primarily as expensive as the US shows because of the reserved seating. I dont think there were seats on the pitch at any stadium show apart from Twickenham and the RFU wouldnt have let them use the stadium had they not agreed to have the pitch all seated. Hence, £150 for a pitch seat at twickenham and about a third of that on the continent for general admission

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:43

No doubt tickets for Europe will be much higher than the last time...

Hendrik Mulder

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 16, 2005 18:42

I hear ya, Lapetomane,

At the moment I am the victim of a whole load of piss taking by my mates in the pub, all long hair and leather, who like to go out rocking at concerts.

now they all know that I'm a big Stones fan and wanna go see them quite a few times on the next tour, but as soon as they found out the prices - man they just took the piss - can't say i blame 'em really.

Can't figure out whose taking the piss more though. My mates - or the Stones for asking us to pay the prices.

@#$%& it, I might go to a dirty club, pay a tenner and see a real rock n roll band play some music

Posted by: flexy633 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 23:51

Debra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate to add to the sour grapes but I just have
> to agree with alot of what ole Lapetomane said! I
> live in Massachusetts, about 2 hours + from
> Fenway, lucky hey? Well maybe! I spent Saturday
> Morning on-line with TicketMaster and although I
> DETEST THEM, I had no choice because I also
> refused to support that criminal element called
> THE FAN CLUB! ( I also know if I get really
> depressed and desperate over the next few weeks,
> I'll be calling the other criminals, Ticket
> Brokers!) I was gettng absolutely NOWHERE for
> either show when one ticket came up for the
> 23rd at Fenway, Section B 15 rows back, now
> here's the punchline! $489, including a whopping
> $30 for TicketMaster, and I impulsively bought it!
> I spent the rest of the day beating myself up for
> spending SO MUCH $$$ ON A SEAT SO FAR BACK! I am
> not rich, but now I'm actually pissed at myself; I
> suppose it would be one thing if I were in row
> 1-7, and that would ALMOST justify the price, but
> to be 30+ rows back.....DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!AND
> THAT'S FACE VALUE!!!!!!!!!! I am now in the
> process of re-thinking exactly how far I want to
> go into debt to see a few Stones shows! I slept
> very little last night, trying to come up with a
> plan and today I'm tired and more angry than I was
> yesterday! AM I HAVING FUN? HELL NO!

Debra, I feel the same way. I used my boss's credit card to get my seats and paid $456 for two tickets, including the fan club fee. Now I totally regret doing it that way. Wish I had decided to just go to the box office the day of the show and see what I could get for a cheaper price. So, now I am totally stressed because I have to pay my boss back $100 per week until I pay him in full. Other crappy part is ticket master won't send the tickets directly to me -they are sending them to my boss because he is the one on the credit card I used. So, now I'm all worried that he is going to think the envelope is junk mail and accidentally throw it away.

Date: May 17, 2005 02:17

Glad you agree Flexy! You'd better TELL your boss to open All unmarked mail! I am expecting Dylan tickets which I thought were sent out already and I woke up 4 nights ago in a cold sweat wondering if I'd tossed them out in the garbage! NO LIE! I tore into my garbage, no tickets and tonight I'm calling TickerMaster to see if they were actually shipped. But back to the Stones, I am thinking about buying tickets the day of the show at the box office! I am going to try to be patient. It will be tough but I am angry enough to buy nothing else until the 12th hour! Good luck to you!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 17, 2005 02:25

Remember that article in RS magazine ('83, I think)
where Mick was chastizing the Jacksons on their tour that year
to keep the ticket prices down? I think he told Michael
"you just don't do that."
We've come a long way.
In '75, I paid $7.50.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1211
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home