Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Rough Justice
Posted by: big4 ()
Date: January 27, 2014 21:37

After the lackluster quartet of new songs off 40 Licks this was a welcomed reminder that the band hadn't lost it after all. It's sort of a hybrid of BS mixed with a sped up YGMR. Solid latter day Stones.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 27, 2014 23:16

Love it, much better than the crap songs like Doom and One more shite.
Jeroen

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2014 13:04

It's among the best 10 songs they've released over the last 20 years - which isn't actually saying much.

Still, it's a great rocker but pretty predictable Stones by numbers fare. They usually have at least one out and out rocker like this on their albums over the last 30 or so years.

Start Me Up, One Hit (To The Body), Mixed Emotions, You Got Me Rocking, Rough Justice, Doom & Gloom - all have that same Stones swagger and are released as singles to get us all going but then usually the rest of the latest album they're promoting is patchy to say the least.

We know if it's a classic as the Stones themselves will keep it in their set lists or unearth it from time to time. I don't think this one will see the light of day again.

Date: January 29, 2014 13:11

Silver Dagger
It's among the best 10 songs they've released over the last 20 years - which isn't actually saying much.

Still, it's a great rocker but pretty predictable Stones by numbers fare. They usually have at least one out and out rocker like this on their albums over the last 30 or so years.

Start Me Up, One Hit (To The Body), Mixed Emotions, You Got Me Rocking, Rough Justice, Doom & Gloom - all have that same Stones swagger and are released as singles to get us all going but then usually the rest of the latest album they're promoting is patchy to say the least.

We know if it's a classic as the Stones themselves will keep it in their set lists or unearth it from time to time. I don't think this one will see the light of day again.

I think many of the "Stones by numbers-tunes" are written by Mick.

Seemingly, something often gets lost "in translation" when Mick writes the riffs by himself, and Keith doesn't have any impact on them - or merely is just filling in, imo.

We can add Highwire, Sad Sad Sad, Hold on To Your Hat, I Go Wild, Driving Too Fast and Don't Stop to that list as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:17

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

I think many of the "Stones by numbers-tunes" are written by Mick.

Seemingly, something often gets lost "in translation" when Mick writes the riffs by himself, and Keith doesn't have any impact on them - or merely is just filling in, imo.

We can add Highwire, Sad Sad Sad, Hold on To Your Hat, I Go Wild, Driving Too Fast and Don't Stop to that list as well.

I'd class those as the b-team actually Dandy along with Rock And A Hard Place. Agree with you that they are almost certainly all Mick numbers. I think he's the one who puts logistics into songwriting asking himself questions like 'will this sound good in a stadium setting'. For me, that's where they have gone wrong. Logistics before heart and soul.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 29, 2014 15:36

A Bigger Bang--the Rolling Stones' 25th studio album--begins exactly how Rolling Stones albums ought to begin, with the testosterone calling-card explosion of "Rough Justice"; a ribald, licentious rocker with Sir Mick getting bawdy and with Keith Richard's infernal bottleneck guitar sliding around like an aroused python on an oil slick. Sigmund Freud would have had a field day.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

I think it's actually Ronnie - but otherwise, spot on, Amazon! I love this one.

Date: January 29, 2014 15:55

It's Ronnie indeed, but it's a nice description of the start of the album thumbs up

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 29, 2014 22:14

When I first heard it I thought it was really cool then It started to wear thin for me. However on the Road I thought it continued to sound good. It had a punk kind of thing going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-29 22:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 29, 2014 23:15

One again, if BB was streamlined a bit it would have been really good. Plus leaving Under The Radar and Don't Want to go Home off is a head scratcher. How cool would it be to get just 45 minutes of strong material for a new release!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 30, 2014 00:06

The song itself isn't much, but Ronnie Wood's slide playing sounds more like his Faces slide playing than anything else he's done with the Stones.

I can imagine Jagger and Richards hanging out at Mick's place in France, grooving to the then-recent Faces box set and saying, "hey, that slide player's pretty good."
"Yeah, he's been in our band for 30 years."

"Well maybe one of us should write something to make him play like in the Faces."

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:37

idiotic song. they'll never play it again live.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:57

Great song but the brickwalling and the digital "sizzling" (as described earlier, great description!) sound destroy the overall positivity.

Should've been produced and mixed like One More SHot and D & G and the bonus SG album.

Let it Breathe!!!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 30, 2014 16:20

Love this song. It come at you like a train!! Great Rock n Roll!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2014 22:49

Maindefender
One again, if BB was streamlined a bit it would have been really good. Plus leaving Under The Radar and Don't Want to go Home off is a head scratcher. How cool would it be to get just 45 minutes of strong material for a new release!

Under The Radar and Don't Want To Go Home weren't recorded for BEGGARS BANQUET as you have said here. And BB doesn't need to be streamlined - unless you wished they'd of put Jumpin' Jack Flash on it.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 30, 2014 22:54

Great track ...love it

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 3, 2014 06:05

Easily my favorite Stones rocker since ... hmmm, I guess since Start Me Up! Mick's solo track, Wired All Night is another. I put them both in the same category: awesomeness!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 3, 2014 06:52

kind of forgettable...the lyrics are as bad if not worse than "You Got Me Rockin"

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 3, 2014 12:26

i would say a typical late-day stones rocker...no reason not to like it (as Doxa argued so convincingly), but nothing special...Doom and Gloom i consider far more inovative, interesting and superior....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 3, 2014 12:45

It's a great rocker. I think it's purposely muddied up, has a Black Keys sound to it.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 3, 2014 17:45

barely listenable,,just an ok song in my book ABB is their only album i can´t listen to,,,it doesn´t breathe or swing,,rather boring work smiling smiley

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: February 4, 2014 06:14

This is the best song from that album. I still think of it. It sticks in my mind.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: February 23, 2019 17:10

Great rocker. Love this song. Ronnie's slide guitar is awesome!

Date: February 23, 2019 17:17

wandering spirit
i would say a typical late-day stones rocker...no reason not to like it (as Doxa argued so convincingly), but nothing special...Doom and Gloom i consider far more inovative, interesting and superior....

???????????
Rough Justice is a great great Rocker, latter-day Stones. IMO it has more groove and Swagger than DnG.
Hope to catch it live, once.
Jeroen

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 23, 2019 17:47

Rough Justice is a rock and roll fable; Aesop, Jean de la Fontaine and others have done it before. Mick, shilling out a la Fourchette ,surrounded by wine yards(Cremant de loire et Touraine), trees, rabbits, pheasants and Foxy Keef , gave it a try and it works.

"Once apon a time I was your little rooster, now I am one of your cocks"

Great writing there. Don't forget they took Little Red Rooster to the top in 64.

I love animalistic writing Mick.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: February 23, 2019 17:51

MadMax
Great song but the brickwalling and the digital "sizzling" (as described earlier, great description!) sound destroy the overall positivity.

Should've been produced and mixed like One More SHot and D & G and the bonus SG album.

Let it Breathe!!!

????????????????confused smiley
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-23 17:51 by runrudolph.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 23, 2019 18:22

MadMax

Let it Breathe!!!

What you mentioned was brickwalled as well. It's not so much the production or even the mix - the mastering can take something that is mixed just fine and destroy its integrity. Look at anything UMe reissued from STICKY FINGERS onward: every album brickwalled and pointless to listen to.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 23, 2019 20:23

Alrite I might've meant the mastering, it's quite odd that sizzling sound, it's basically the only song they've released that got that sizzle. D & G and One More Shot and B & L don't have that weird phenomenon. I just wish it wouldn't be so brickwalled. Evrything should be like the Virgin stuff, I hold on to them mothers…..smileys with beer

Rough Justice is a great song though, I wrote a similar song about 3 years before that one, although mine was in G-tuning and was called Justice In Love. It's funny sometimes when your heroes' ideas come close or become similar like the ones you come up with yourself, it has happened a couple of times. In 2004 and 2005 I brought Just Your Fool to my band and we played it loads of times live, (me always writing and picking covers) and then our boys records it 14 years later. Crazy. Another one is I wrote a song called Babe Don't Slow Me Down in 1999, then Oasis releases a song and a documentary in 2007 called LORD Don't Slow Me Down. Double crazy.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 23, 2019 20:55

RollingFreak
I'll never understand why everyone hates it, but I think this is a killer song. Not joking, I think its their best rock song since Tattoo You. I can only say that I'm biased because I'm young and this was the first (and only) studio album they put out while I was actually conscious of who the Stones were, and I remember putting on that new CD and this flying out of the speakers. I did, and still do, think it is kick ass. I remember hearing it and thinking "this is the Rolling @#$%& Stones!" Double entrees, great riff thats reminiscent of classic Stones, fast rocker. Everything I want in new stuff by them. Great track and I will always love it. I'd love to hear something new from them like that instead of Doom and Gloom or One More Shot.

But I know I'm in the minority.

This is what I like about this forum! I think, as an "oldie", that it becomes harder and harder to judge new Stones songs really objectively. The brain is so full of all those earlier songs, that it influences ones judgement.
You describe how you, as a young fan, go into a song like Rough Justice .... FRESH! Similar to what I did 50+ years ago. I recognize your emotions. So yes, it for sure is another great Stones song (which I like anyway, despite my bias). Very different recording techniques, that's obvious, but hey ... 56 years down the road smileys with beer

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 23, 2019 21:01

Maindefender

Blame Don Was. He has effed up every album he's touched

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2093
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home