Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Opinions after two days
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:09

1. I want Jagger's pants. But then again, I'm 1.86 and 88 kilo's, so I probably need a bigger size...
2. I want Keith's jacket. Then again, I probably need $2500.
3. It's the roughest guitar sound since the 1978 tour. I really, really like the way Keith sounded!
4. Wood's solo on BS was amateuristic, but he didn't screw up big time. Hopefully it's not going to be like in 2002, where Wood started out great in the US, but then declined to a bag of noise IF he played at all.
5. The new song...I listened about 20 times to it, and it hasn't caught me. I think a problem was the bass, I guess it must have been a driving, carrying bass, but though the P.C. speakers I can hardly hear it. Without the bass it sounds very messy, with all these typical Keith slurs instead of him keeping the rythm down. The verses are remeniscent of Lonely at the Top, but the chorus sounds indistinct and flat. I liked the way Wood kept the groove together a bit.
6. I have to throw up each time I see that guy from that mortgage sponsor Ameriquest...Maybe it's me being European and Dutch, but it truly makes me sick when a guy with a rug on his head starts about "The Stones and Ameriquest stand for the American Dream for millions of Stones fans around the World". Horrible!
7. The greatest part was the absence of Chuck Leavell, but I did miss a boogie piano underneath Brown Sugar. Now, Jagger just played with Ian McLagan in London, so....

Mathijs

Re: Opinions after two days
Posted by: franz1974 ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:19

I don't care for the new song either but I had no expectations....deep inside we all know that a new album will not add anything to the greatness of this band.
It's just nice to know they still get together and write and try out new things, I was a bit afraid they had stopped being a real "working" band and now they're back as a group: great!

I want to be Keith ;-)

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:31

Mathijs, I agree.

Posted by: genco ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:42

Hey Mathijs .....yes I agree I want these pants and jacket too..
and for me their performance last tuesday was great, great..
a pleasure to hear keith and ronnie...

do you think "our friends" (chuck, bernard, horns....) will come back on this tour...
I wouldnt like this... yes I know an utopia but would be nice to see only to the stones....
regards

Posted by: Pohan ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:42

Indeed they sounded great.

Jagger was all dressed in Dior Homme clothing during the PC btw, so the gears available at www.dior.com... expensive but very nice.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:51

"It's the roughest guitar sound since the 1978 tour. I really, really like the way Keith sounded!"
i'm agree with you Mathijs, i hope that Don Was will not ruin this sound.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 12, 2005 12:42

Very good post; agree 100%, especially on point 6.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-12 12:47 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: May 12, 2005 12:43

I think the new song is catchy and will be even more in the record. Its a bit cliche song but much better than Dont Stop, I Go Wild, You Got me Rocking or Saint of Me. I hope the new song is a good sign.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 12, 2005 12:56

I agree in most what been said.
But I think we have to wait until the studio-version before we call the new song...well, not good.
Think about how sloppy and thin the first versions of Tumbling Dice and Start Me Up sounded. And how strong och powerful the album-versions are.

Posted by: håkan ()
Date: May 12, 2005 13:00

Mmmmm.... agree with you Franz... although, I was very positively surprised when Saint of me was released - that really lighted a hope in me that they're still up for writing classics!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:19

>"The Stones and Ameriquest stand for the American Dream for millions of Stones fans around the World". Horrible!

Indeed. It was nice of him to remind us what the Stones stand for. Not to mention the bizarre "American Dream" reference for fans. Who @#$%& wrote THAT speech?

What a @#$%&.

(Edit : to be fair, he didnt actually refer to fans 'around the world', just the American ones.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-12 15:36 by Gazza.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:23

I´d give a half day´s wage to see whats under the @#$%&.
Good point though, so much sh*t talk by so many @#$%&.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:32

I noticed on some footage on tv that Jagger has regenerated some '69 moves: Hands on his hips while shaking his head back and forth like a chicken (during BS?). And more of that shit. Alas only briefly and indistinct.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:34

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I´d give a half day´s wage to see whats under the
> @#$%&.
> Good point though, so much sh*t talk by so many
> @#$%&.
>

the first word was 'fúcking '
the second word was 'wánker '

Glad to oblige.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-12 15:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:41

Good post Mathijs!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:48

If you put a ton of cash on the table to hang your company name on a banner next to the Stones stage for a few months time and that way can lower the ticket price by say $10 that is fine with me. It is called sponsor. He was on for less than 60 seconds and was gone before anybody got bored.

Bjornulf

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:56

Sponsorship is obviously an essential part in a market economy, but I just detest that kind of bullshit the spokesperson was delivering in his speech.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 12, 2005 15:58

These big tours definitely need some sort of sponsorship.
I think Sprint (the official sponsor in North America 97/98) had a very good approach. They offered presale tickets if you swithced to their phone service.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 12, 2005 16:11

I get your point Bjornulf, but we are some fans out here that are worried about the Rattle-with-their-jewels syndrom as the hot shot´s are supposed to sit at the stage and such crap.

Sponsortship is no harm, but the fat Chairmans or whoever they are can stay away from a decent rock'n'roll event... Isnt that a minumum demand. I´m sure they will show us who´s sponsoring anyway.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 12, 2005 16:12

It was just priceless to hear Keith riffing his ass of on Brown Sugar and seeing Mick dance and smile like he did in the old days... a true stones performance.

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: May 12, 2005 16:39

I think the new song was quite good - much better than most of the post-'89 singles. Of course, it may not sound as good on the album given the recent production habits.

re. that coporate mortgage broker scumbag - how was it I only heard myself yell "shut up"?!

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: May 12, 2005 17:06

Definitely a reworking in part of Lonely At The Top. Thankfully a lot harder but I have to say I was hoping for something a little fresher. Beats the hell out of Don't Stop though.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 12, 2005 17:31

Mathijs good to see you with some positivity with what the Stones are currently doing. I agree with your points for the most part. I hope the new album is "hard hitting" like they say and that the production doesn't ruin the raunchy sound of the guitars. Wish they'd leave all the back up singers and so on behind on this tour but it is not likely. I'd rather see a sloppy rock tour than a clean sounding version of the band but what can you do.

Where have all the Stones bashers gone the last few days, they seemed to have disappeared now that we have something positive to talk about.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: May 12, 2005 17:44

After listening to the micro-gig the Stones did, I only hope the 15% of the album which has not been finished is not the "Chuck and backing misicians and backing vocalists" percentage. If I could, I would reduce this sidemen percentage to only 5%... (Well, if Mac is on keyboards I'd raise it to maybe 10%)

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 12, 2005 20:16

I very much liked the sound from the press conference. I think this was due to the abscence of Chuck Leavell, Bernard and Lisa, as well as a horn section. If we knew this basic lineup would be the only players on the upcoming tour I would be more excited. Brown Sugar sounded very good in my opinion. Guitars way up in the mix. Best version I have leard from them in awhile. Ronnie dropping in some nice lead lines. I am not going wring my hands over tickets this time around. I think we will get a buyers market the day of the shows. As with the last time around, this should be named the "Low Expectations Tour". Leave Chuck at home and bring back Mac! These cats can still rock if they would just keep it simple, warts and all.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home