Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tubular Bells
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 16, 2014 00:18

I know it's viewed by some as a bloated, pretentious prog-fest but I can't help but love this album. There's a great documentary all about it on BBC iplayer - plus it features some footage of Mick Taylor in the live studio performance of the album shot in 1974...

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03cw8g0/Tubular_Bells_The_Mike_Oldfield_Story/

And if you fancy watching the performance in full:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00g8h9q/Mike_Oldfield_Tubular_Bells/

Apologies for those not able to access iplayer. Maybe this will find its way on to youtube if it hasn't already.

Re: OT: Tubular Bells
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 16, 2014 00:36

Hmm... I bought it when it came out. I played it many times, but I never loved it. I got rid of it.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 16, 2014 00:53

I liked Tubular Bells, till I saw Mike Oldfield on the Tubular Bells II Tour in 1993. His concert was such a big disappointment, that I lost interest in his music.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 16, 2014 00:53

noughties
Hmm... I bought it when it came out. I played it many times, but I never loved it. I got rid of it.

Same to me.........confused smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 16, 2014 00:57

Anyway - it's a good and at times quite moving documentary.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: January 16, 2014 11:10

Fantastic album. Those 70's instrumental records of his are brilliant. Last good album was Songs of distant earth (1994) and after that I haven't been that keen on his newer stuff. But TB is magic. Never get tired of it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 16, 2014 11:44

Love the album. Who cares if it's a prog fest or not - it's a great piece of music. It sounds great in The Exorcist film and it sounds great as a stand alone album. I don't play it too often - maybe once every few years but when I do I enjoy it immensely.

I think too many people paint themselves into a corner saying 'I don't like this type of music because I prefer that kind'. Blimey, life is too short to be so selective. Open your mind a little and get to appreciate different stuff. There we go, rant over.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 16, 2014 11:50

Richard Branson was just another record retailer until the extraordinary success of Tubular Bells.

Arguably if Tubular Bells had not sold, then there would be no Virgin empire around the world.

I bought it when it very first came out (my original vinyl label is mono printed - ie no colour printing on the lable) when it was played on the John Peel (RIP) show in the UK. Loved it. Still quite like it.

Captain Corella

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 16, 2014 12:18

Silver Dagger

I think too many people paint themselves into a corner saying 'I don't like this type of music because I prefer that kind'. Blimey, life is too short to be so selective. Open your mind a little and get to appreciate different stuff.

Wiser words have never been spoken. I admit when I was younger I had very much that 'type' mentality, which I guess pretty much belonged to the nature of rock culture back then. Of the older music, progressive rock, fusion etc. belonged to my category of uncool music, of which I have little by little learned to get rid of... (but that said, I am rather sure that I will never warm on 'heavy rock' in any of its incarnations, as it is known from the 80's on... Anything else will dogrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 12:19 by Doxa.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:43

Doxa
Silver Dagger

I think too many people paint themselves into a corner saying 'I don't like this type of music because I prefer that kind'. Blimey, life is too short to be so selective. Open your mind a little and get to appreciate different stuff.

Wiser words have never been spoken. I admit when I was younger I had very much that 'type' mentality, which I guess pretty much belonged to the nature of rock culture back then. Of the older music, progressive rock, fusion etc. belonged to my category of uncool music, of which I have little by little learned to get rid of... (but that said, I am rather sure that I will never warm on 'heavy rock' in any of its incarnations, as it is known from the 80's on... Anything else will dogrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Well, I admit I struggle with some types of music Doxa, such as techno. At least I give them a try. Anyway, while we're on the subject of prog - do you know this band?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 16, 2014 12:49

What's all this talk about prog? This horror movie music, infinitely cool!

This music will make your head spin.... completely around.

Date: January 16, 2014 13:01

stonehearted
What's all this talk about prog? This horror movie music, infinitely cool!

This music will make your head spin.... completely around.

Hang on tight everyone - it's showtime!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 16, 2014 13:21

Doxa
Silver Dagger

- Doxa

Well, I had already made an elaborate post about hair metal, but that disappeared when I should qoute this message. I only have to try to remember it: Hair Metal is abhorrent. I didn`t even know it was happening when it did. I thought people were content listening to Disco, New Wave, Synth and New Romantics. How can people be so "bubble gum", so drenched in B-culture!

Date: January 16, 2014 13:27

noughties
Doxa
Silver Dagger

- Doxa

Well, I had already made an elaborate post about hair metal, but that disappeared when I should qoute this message. I only have to try to remember it: Hair Metal is abhorrent. I didn`t even know it was happening when it did. I thought people were content listening to Disco, New Wave, Synth and New Romantics. How can people be so "bubble gum", so drenched in B-culture!

I think hair metal died out because all those bands put so much gunk in their hair that they all went bald as coots. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 16, 2014 13:32

Silver Dagger

Anyway, while we're on the subject of prog - do you know this band?

Oh yeah, Wigwam is, how can you say, a classic band here in Finland. There was a strong progressive rock movement in Finland during the 70's, and Wigwam, with Tasavallan Presidentti, was the biggest name. They tried international breakthrow but ended up to some sort of 'cult' name in Mid-Europe and some hardcore prog circles ever since. May I ask how did yoou know about them?

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2014 13:36

An interesting album, but almost completely soulless.

Date: January 16, 2014 13:58

His Majesty
An interesting album, but almost completely soulless.

How do you define soul? (Now there's a question and a half!)

Date: January 16, 2014 14:03

Doxa
Silver Dagger

Anyway, while we're on the subject of prog - do you know this band?

Oh yeah, Wigwam is, how can you say, a classic band here in Finland. There was a strong progressive rock movement in Finland during the 70's, and Wigwam, with Tasavallan Presidentti, was the biggest name. They tried international breakthrow but ended up to some sort of 'cult' name in Mid-Europe and some hardcore prog circles ever since. May I ask how did yoou know about them?

- Doxa

Funny story Doxa. I was working for a record shop in Richmond, west London, in the mid-70s when the album was released. It was on the Virgin label and they really wanted to push the band which led to a special promotion at the chain of record shops I worked for (Harlequin, if anyone in the UK remembers).

Anyway, we had to play that bloody record (both sides of the vinyl) every lunchtime. I hated it at the time but then grew to love this one track. One lunchtime Ian McLagan, who was visiting Ronnie Wood when he still lived at The Wick, on Richmond Hill, came in, pretty drunk. I don't think he bought the album though!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 16, 2014 14:33

Silver Dagger

How do you define soul? (Now there's a question and a half!)

In this context it's emotion coming from the music which moves you in some way. This record really lacks that imo.

Tubular Bells, for me, is more like an interesting exercise in music.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: January 16, 2014 15:22

I've watched the BBC performance from November 1973, I believe, on YouTube several times. I enjoyed it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home