Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
cheap, fast but great recordings
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 5, 2014 16:38

i'm havin' this discussion with a producer and my point is that great records can also be recorded in short time and with little money.

i know that whitestripes "elephant" was recorded within 10 days and costed 5000 british pounds.

are there (m)any other great (rock, pop, punk) records that were done like this?

and how long did it take the stones, beatles, elvis...all the 50's 60's kings to record albums or songs? i believe they were alot faster then nowadays...were'nt they?

thanks for your inputs.

Re: cheap, fast but great recordings
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 5, 2014 16:42

I heard House of the Rising Sun was done in one take for a just 5 pounds. 15 minutes of setup and recording and out.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 5, 2014 16:51

Dylans 8 first albums is short-timers in the studio...Van the mans 'Astral Weeks' also...and Probably most of Beatles singles...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:00

The Who's debute album My Generation is said to be recorded in six hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-05 17:02 by Thommie.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:16

With the exception of the Basement Tapes, which werent really a recording session as such, the entire first two decades of Bob Dylan's career saw him spend no more than 90 days of that time in recording studios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-05 17:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:32

Jack White works like Bob Dylan does. He even uses tape in the digital era because it makes the band concentrate on the performance knowing it can't be fixed later.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:41

stewedandkeefed
Jack White works like Bob Dylan does. He even uses tape in the digital era because it makes the band concentrate on the performance knowing it can't be fixed later.

So why does he sound so bad?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:43

Led Zep's I and Nirvana's Bleach were also quite fast and cheap.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:46

Both Lennon and McCartney have said the Beatles 1st and 2nd albums took no more than 12-14 hours to record

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 5, 2014 23:29

More Hot Rocks
I heard House of the Rising Sun was done in one take for a just 5 pounds. 15 minutes of setup and recording and out.

Plus about 2 years of playing it most nights in clubs, pubs etc!

Exactly same is true of The Beatles first album. Done in an afternoon and evening - but following thousands of hours 'rehearsal' in Liverpool, Hamburg and places inbetween.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 00:00

I think I read once The Police recorded their first album for 2000 pounds.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2014 00:06

....beef, lamb or chicken?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 6, 2014 04:03

Just last year, music fans celebrated the 50th anniversary of the release of the sloppy second take of a song that took minutes to record, and despite several versions by other bands having been recorded before, Louie Louie by the Portland, Oregon, band The Kingsmen (recorded on April 6, 1963) is considered the definitive version as it has become more popular and legendary than the original by Richard Berry (released with his group the Pharaohs in 1957).

Story and other Louie Louie versions at: [www.soundonthesound.com]

Sculpture of Louie Louie sound waves (by Tim Bavington) that hangs in the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building in downtown Portland. In the photo stand Kingsmen drummer Dick Peterson (left) and guitarist Mike Mitchell.

Story behind the sculpture at: [www.oregonlive.com]

Video clip featuring the "true lyrics" to the Kingsmen version of Louie Louie.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 6, 2014 04:27

Elvis never did anything quick...even his outtakes have outtakes...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2014 04:29

Gazza
With the exception of the Basement Tapes, which werent really a recording session as such, the entire first two decades of Bob Dylan's career saw him spend no more than 90 days of that time in recording studios.

eye popping smiley Wow!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 6, 2014 04:32

RockinJive
stewedandkeefed

So why does he sound so bad?

Because there's something wrong with your ears.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2014 05:10

Hal Harris - Jitterbop Baby 1956
Cut at the end of a George Jones recording session ..... Stunning Stuff

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2014 05:22

stewedandkeefed

Mistakes can still be fixed. grinning smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 05:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 16:17 by camper88.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:32

The Black Crowes' masterpiece 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' was recorded in just 2 weeks!

Date: January 6, 2014 11:35

guitarbastard
i'm havin' this discussion with a producer and my point is that great records can also be recorded in short time and with little money.

i know that whitestripes "elephant" was recorded within 10 days and costed 5000 british pounds.

are there (m)any other great (rock, pop, punk) records that were done like this?

and how long did it take the stones, beatles, elvis...all the 50's 60's kings to record albums or songs? i believe they were alot faster then nowadays...were'nt they?

thanks for your inputs.

I agree, Boris. But it depends heavily on the music style, and there is really no answer key to it.

Sometimes, a one-take song will be the best - other times, adjustments and new ideas along the way will improve the song.

My experience is that it helps having the attitude you describe when cutting the song, though.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:54

Black Flag spent $6000 to make three albums in 1984 (My War, Family Man, Slip It In).

The Ramones spent the same amount to make their first album in three weekends.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2014 13:21

The first Clash album was recorded over 3 weekend sessions.

Date: January 6, 2014 13:27

Wasn't SW recorded during only 14 days?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 6, 2014 13:54

I remember reading that Bruce Springsteen recorded 'Nebraska' by mostly by himself in a week or two. Sometimes the recording process can be ridiculously drawn out, but I love the idea of not thinking too hard and just producing what you produce.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 6, 2014 13:58

wasn't Brown sugar(Although that version pf BS was not released), Wild horses and You gotta move all recorded at muscle shoals in a couple of days?

Date: January 6, 2014 14:00

Ket
wasn't Brown sugar(Although that version pf BS was not released), Wild horses and You gotta move all recorded at muscle shoals in a couple of days?

They did some overdubs later back in England.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2014 14:14

Tate
I remember reading that Bruce Springsteen recorded 'Nebraska' by mostly by himself in a week or two. Sometimes the recording process can be ridiculously drawn out, but I love the idea of not thinking too hard and just producing what you produce.

Two days. 3-4 January 1982.

Saying that, there are bootlegs of 'pre-demos' ("How Nebraska was Born") from the previous month, but the actual session took just over a day. It was only intended as series of demos originally, though. He started the Born in the USA sessions soon after, only to sideline them for a year and release 'Nebraska' instead.

Bob Dylan's "Another Side of Bob Dylan" was recorded from start to finish in one night in June 1964, taking about 8 hours. Just Bob, a guitar, harmonica, piano and a few bottles of wine.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 6, 2014 16:07

OK lets say you wanted to make a good sounding home recording, CD guality, whats the best portable "studio' these days?

including mic's..? I am considering such a purchase..

thanks in advance for info.

maybe this should be a separate thread..
but I know lots on the board here are good players and record their work..

Date: January 6, 2014 21:11

duke richardson
OK lets say you wanted to make a good sounding home recording, CD guality, whats the best portable "studio' these days?

including mic's..? I am considering such a purchase..

thanks in advance for info.

maybe this should be a separate thread..
but I know lots on the board here are good players and record their work..

An SM57, Focusrite iTrack solo, iPad with Auria app.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home