Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl (Album)
Posted by: Denny ()
Date: January 1, 2014 17:12

That rooftop video is ace - of course they sound as good as the Who or the Stones. It's a completely different-sounding "rock" to those bands, but just as exciting. And yes, there isn't much "show" going on, but the music and interplay is a delight to listen to - Billy Preston certainly included.

Those five musicians would've put on a great concert, similarly to how The Band often did in the same era. No-one says that The Band were unexciting as a live act. No point comparing the Beatles '69 to sex god lead singer-fronted bands, when they were clearly a different type of group.

Ringo plays fantastic stuff there, just the perfect musician's intuition to pull everything together and make it swing.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 1, 2014 17:17

I agree, an electric and dynamic performance, and for me there is a lot of Beatle magic going on. The classic Lennon voices, joking. knowing smiles between them when they are in the zone. And they are tight! From the shambles of their studio playing to a thight compact set of rock n roll. Don't Let me Down is primal, with beautiful fills from George and Bily. They would have torn it up if they had toured. Back to basics Hamburg style rock n roll.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2014 17:35

Wroclaw - Any type of Beatles tour would have been the largest musical event to ever take place had it taken place. However it did not happen and all we have is conjecture.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 2, 2014 00:10

^ That's true, because Beatles history is not only musical history, but also cultural history--which is why so much of their early film footage is still available and didn't get wiped as that of so many others had. It's like of Lennon and McCartney had actually gotten in that taxi one night in the mid-70s and actually appeared on Saturday Night Live as they were invited to, it would be something people still talk about today, it would be a YouTube mainstay.

A first-ever live album could have been pulled from a Beatles '69 tour, and that in itself would have become a major part of their catalog, especially if they would have broken up anyway soon after.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 2, 2014 03:56

Live at the Hollywood Bowl was not only my first Beatles record, but it was my first record I ever owned. I was 7 years old. I would so much enjoy a re-issue of the album, either on cd or digital, if anything for the sake of nostalgia. I loved that record so, crowd noise and all.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 2, 2014 09:27

Slew g'day: I did'nt say / write that a 1969/70 Beatles tour/gigs wouldn't have been a commercial or artistic success. I say here again: I think it wouldn't have made us feel as if this was one more piece of the "Beatles chain of magic moment's" in retrospect. People are hungry for any Beatles products that are new, even ones that never happened, so it makes them feel as if that "Let It Be" tour that never materialized is the lost prize. I strongly doubt that and believe that at best it would have been regarded as "very good" and at worst "a 2nd Magical Mystery Tour". The fact that the Beatles (also on an individual basis) went off the wagon of the live act in Aug. 1966 had its toll, and that was not just something heavy rehearsing could have fixed.

Would we had 100% of commercial gigs sold out in a day? SURE.

Would we had lines of smiling faces of Beatles fans in the front row doing those typical "hard core fans" gestures? SURE.

M. Python reunion show(s) next summer was sold out in what? 6 seconds? would there be a "Python Magic" there? as a Python hard core fan I hope so, but wont be surprised if the answer will be a NO. (guys no need to remind me that the Python's "1969" was about (realized) 1979 and that Chapman is dead).

BTW: Lennon & Mecca reunion - they join up in the mid 70's for that strange studio session, when both were drunk/wasted. The boot is available for a long time now but at most it is regarded by many Beatles fan's as something you should sometime listen to, once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-02 09:30 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2014 11:38

Talking about the live performances from the Beatles, I remember reading about this project of a film:

"The Beatles – yeah, those – have agreed to a long-gestating project to create a new concert film using professional and amateur footage, images, music and interviews chronicling the band from 1963 to 1966

Beatlemania is about to strike again.

The Beatles' Apple Corps has authorized a production company, OVOW, to scour the globe for material captured by amateurs and professionals during the group’s concert tours in the 1960s for a major film project called “The Beatles Live!”, TheWrap has learned.

The effort will kick off on Thursday morning with a promotional video (see below).

OVOW – an acronym for One Voice One World, a reference to the Beatles’ final live performance in the “Our World” satellite broadcast on June 25, 1967 — says it has commissioned worldwide research teams and developed social-media tools to work with fans and concertgoers in all 116 cities where the Beatles performed to get material for the film".

[www.thewrap.com]

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 2, 2014 11:49

Cristiano Radtke
Talking about the live performances from the Beatles, I remember reading about this project of a film:

"The Beatles – yeah, those – have agreed to a long-gestating project to create a new concert film using professional and amateur footage, images, music and interviews chronicling the band from 1963 to 1966

Beatlemania is about to strike again.

The Beatles' Apple Corps has authorized a production company, OVOW, to scour the globe for material captured by amateurs and professionals during the group’s concert tours in the 1960s for a major film project called “The Beatles Live!”, TheWrap has learned.

The effort will kick off on Thursday morning with a promotional video (see below).

OVOW – an acronym for One Voice One World, a reference to the Beatles’ final live performance in the “Our World” satellite broadcast on June 25, 1967 — says it has commissioned worldwide research teams and developed social-media tools to work with fans and concertgoers in all 116 cities where the Beatles performed to get material for the film".

[www.thewrap.com]

Rumors say that Macca himself is an avid collector of Beatles rare documentation, including several unique films/recordings that were offered in auctions.

Date: January 2, 2014 12:00

Wroclaw
Cristiano Radtke

Rumors say that Macca himself is an avid collector of Beatles rare documentation, including several unique films/recordings that were offered in auctions.

This makes sense. Paul bought the original acetate of the Quarrymen' In Spite of All the Danger.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 2, 2014 22:11

I had "Hollywood Bowl" on 8-track back in the 70's.Loved it- screams and all. Downloaded a copy to disc a few years ago. Still lots of fun, but no breaks between songs - you have to listen to the whole thing all the way through (can't skip around). It's very short though.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 2, 2014 22:20

Even with a long gap from playing live, bitterness between members and freezing cold weather The Beatles magic appears on a rooftop.

The rooftop gig is a lot better than the Let It Be studio album. The project just drained them and they got bogged down in having to deal with it. All the bullshit goes out of the window the moment they start properly playing together and they hear that, warts and all, they are still a great little live band.

There is only what is and the rooftop gig shows that despite all the stuff going on they still had their particular brand of magic as a live band.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 3, 2014 02:07

Odd that Glyn Johns selected only one performance from the rooftop session (The One After 909) for inclusion on both unreleased versions of the Get Back album. Spector knew it was good, and included three rooftop performances (The One After 909, Dig A Pony, and I've Got A Feeling) on Let It Be.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 3, 2014 04:22

Yes, definitely worthy of being cleaned up again with nice packaging on cd. I remember listening to a vinyl copy way bavk when, I might actually still have it somewhere at home (epic search to ensue).

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 3, 2014 07:02

For me, the rooftop performance shows what might have been. They may have gone back to being a Rock n Roll band again, instead of pop.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 4, 2014 21:33

strat72
For me, the rooftop performance shows what might have been. They may have gone back to being a Rock n Roll band again, instead of pop.

McCartney attempted to do this with early Wings
tour circa 1971-1973.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 4, 2014 23:46

Today morning, I took my old, worn out vinyl copy of "The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl" and played it for the first time in many, many years. Don't know what happened to me, but I cried, literally. The beauty of the music, the energy of the band AND the audience and those neverending screams...it all touched me deeply. I became overwhelmed and could not help myself but cry. And I do not cry often. Interesting experience.

Regarding the rooftop performance: it shows that maybe McCartney's idea wasn't that bad (to rehearse new songs and record them live at a few concerts for a new record). The "get back"-concept was good, to film the whole rehearsal thing maybe wasn't a good idea...but who knows? Maybe without the cameras the fights might have gotten worse and "Abbey Road" may have never happend.
"Don't Let Me Down" from the rooftop performance is one of my favourite Beatles recordings of all time. It's just perfect and wonderfully played by all five.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: January 5, 2014 12:02

Papo
Today morning, I took my old, worn out vinyl copy of "The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl" and played it for the first time in many, many years. Don't know what happened to me, but I cried, literally. The beauty of the music, the energy of the band AND the audience and those neverending screams...it all touched me deeply. I became overwhelmed and could not help myself but cry. And I do not cry often. Interesting experience.

Regarding the rooftop performance: it shows that maybe McCartney's idea wasn't that bad (to rehearse new songs and record them live at a few concerts for a new record). The "get back"-concept was good, to film the whole rehearsal thing maybe wasn't a good idea...but who knows? Maybe without the cameras the fights might have gotten worse and "Abbey Road" may have never happend.
"Don't Let Me Down" from the rooftop performance is one of my favourite Beatles

hey matey, it´s the very same with me !!!!! not just talkin about prfection or anything...i love this just the way you do , I guess...

recordings of all time. It's just perfect and wonderfully played by all five.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:52

strat72

You should try listening to the White Album.

Date: January 30, 2014 14:45

strat72

It was 45 years ago today. smileys with beer

[www.mojo4music.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:04

Hollywood Bowl was recorded by George Martin on three-track and intended to mix to mono. Not much could be done about the crowd noise, as it overwhelmed all the mics. Obviously this was years before a soundboard recording could be mixed from close-mic'd separate instrument and vocal tracks.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: January 30, 2014 19:58

Believe it or not my uncle's first concert ever was the Beatles at the Montreal Forum in 1964. If that doesn't piss you off enough he has seen every Stones performance in Montreal since 1965. Bastard...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home