Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Jagger Wandering Spirit 20th Anniversary
Posted by: njet ()
Date: December 30, 2013 22:50

Mick's third solo album "Wandering Spirit" was released feb. 1993 so this year it's the 20th anniversary for that album. Definitely Mick Jagger's best solo effort in my opinion - a really strong record with great sound and sort of effortless going from one genré till another - cohesive is the word...

Of course Rolling Stones are on tour now so it's not happening right away - maybe the 30th anniversary?

Anyways bonus material could be the unreleased "Red Devils" blues album (finally getting that out there!!!) and a dvd of the "Webster Hall" performance in 5.1 sound a couple of b-side's and maybe some demo's like "Charmed Life"... and maybe there are a couple of outtakes from the sessions?

Re: Mick Jagger Wandering Spirit 20th Anniversary
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 30, 2013 22:56

Sshh! If Mick finds out his solo stuff is that well remembered and that there is enough demand for obscure shows and unreleased projects as bonus material, he'll leave the Stones for good to give the solo career another try. It's imperative that he focus the remainder of his performing career on the Stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 30, 2013 22:58

It was a great album when it was released..............but to be honest I didn't played the album the last 18 years....maybe I should have it a spin

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 23:28

NICOS
It was a great album when it was released..............but to be honest I didn't played the album the last 18 years....maybe I should have it a spin

Fantastic album, please give it a spin ASAP, you wont regret itthumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 30, 2013 23:57

how come this was never released? It's great!!

[www.iorr.org]

I prefer the vibe, style on this (& too many cooks) to the sound/music on his other stuff by far, well worth checking out

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:01

I remember buying this album in February 1993 and being surprised that it was good, the badness of Jagger solo albums being axiomatic. Feeling old now.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:02

Captainchaos

[www.iorr.org]

I prefer the vibe, style on this (& too many cooks) to the sound/music on his other stuff by far, well worth checking out

No royalties in a covers album!

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:08

Gazza
Captainchaos

[www.iorr.org]

No royalties in a covers album!

sad smiley a really poor move if so

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:23

Red Devils sessions is the best jagger solo recording session ever..or maybe jamming With Edward session is better, but he should have released Red Devils recording instead of wandering shite album.

Red Devils session was far greater than Wandering Spirit, better groove, better songs, better band, better recording in sound wise..I never liked the mickey mouse snare drum sound of the wandering spirit album, it's too thin and lame..but thre you go. Jagger wants to play safe and radio friendly and he doesnt always realize that at his best - jagger is white blues musician - Jagger is at his best when he does blues...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 31, 2013 00:35

seitan
Red Devils sessions is the best jagger solo recording session ever..or maybe jamming With Edward session is better, but he should have released Red Devils recording instead of wandering shite album.

Red Devils session was far greater than Wandering Spirit, better groove, better songs, better band, better recording in sound wise..I never liked the mickey mouse snare drum sound of the wandering spirit album, it's too thin and lame..but thre you go. Jagger wants to play safe and radio friendly and he doesnt always realize that at his best - jagger is white blues musician - Jagger is at his best when he does blues...

Yes but you can't build a solo career on an album made of obscure blues covers... And iirc it was Rubin who made the Jagger/RD session happen (as a way to revitalize the singer's roots). I'm sure that for Jagger it was a one-off who never was deemed of a possible release...

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: December 31, 2013 01:57

The solo records all suck...except for parts of "Talk Is Cheap." Love the band, but they gave up the ghost in 1978...It's been fumes ever since. Face it people, you can never go back home. Seeing a fat Mick Taylor and 77-year-old Bill Wyman made me realize that it his completely over. The band we loved is dead.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 31, 2013 05:19

seitan

Let's not get carried away here - the Red Devils session is great, indeed, but Wandering Spirit shite???? Bullshit. Simply crap talk. Sorry.

Posted by: Hansel1976 ()
Date: December 31, 2013 09:07

Great Album,shits all over anything else released that year.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 31, 2013 11:42

retired_dog
the Red Devils session is great, indeed, but Wandering Spirit shite???? Bullshit. Simply crap talk. Sorry.

No need to say sorry

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 1, 2014 07:47

It's the only Jagger solo album I have.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 1, 2014 11:06

...in 2011 we forgot "Goddess in the Doorway" anniversary. We'll talk about in 2021.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: January 1, 2014 11:51

Real good album . The "Webster Hall concert", even better MEZ

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 1, 2014 15:33

Spodlumt
The solo records all suck...except for parts of "Talk Is Cheap." Love the band, but they gave up the ghost in 1978...It's been fumes ever since. Face it people, you can never go back home. Seeing a fat Mick Taylor and 77-year-old Bill Wyman made me realize that it his completely over. The band we loved is dead.

Oh, bullshit.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: January 1, 2014 15:37

KRiffhard
...in 2011 we forgot "Goddess in the Doorway" anniversary. We'll talk about in 2021.

The 9/11 terror attacks killed that album.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: January 1, 2014 16:40

Well...... or maybe the piss-weak songs, ha ha!

Much respect to Jagger, but that album is ever-so-boring and predictable, apart from "God Gave Me Everything".

Unlike Wandering Spirit, which had some proper vitality.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 1, 2014 21:33

...find it hard to find a better song on a Bigger Bang than Jagger's Don't Call Me Up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 1, 2014 23:52

Great picture

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 2, 2014 00:44

Love 90% of the album. I know it's been said many times before but if the Stones recorded a mash up of Wandering Spirit and Talk is Cheap they would have recorded the best Stones album since Some Girls.

Much better anything that came after Some Girls. I feel Wandering Spirit is probably as good as anything the Stones have done since 1980

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: January 2, 2014 14:58

Brilliant album. I was surprised how good it actually is. I didn't expect this. Some of Micks best songwriting ever in my humble opinion. It still sounds fresh and relevant these days. The fact that it is 20 years ago since its release makes me feel really really old now. Damn!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 2, 2014 15:28

Fantastic album ! Other than "Charmed Life" (doesn't sound like it came from these sessions) there is at least one other unreleased song, a "psychedelic" track he mentioned in a great "Musician" interview. It got canned because he thought they were already cramming too many bases in the album...hopefully we'll hear it someday.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 2, 2014 17:28

I am pretty sure that if the Stones had recorded the entire Wandering Spirit album as a band project,the naysayers would have praised it as some kind of a "modern Exile", as it's (just like exile) a great mix of rock'n'roll, blues, country, soul and gospel tunes. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's just the "Jagger solo" tag that (still) puts some people off, and I'm glad to see not too many - judging by the number of positive posts here.

However, the downside of being "Jagger solo" tracks is that there is no chance to hear any of these tracks live in concert ever again.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 2, 2014 20:33

njet
Mick's third solo album "Wandering Spirit" was released feb. 1993 so this year it's the 20th anniversary for that album. Definitely Mick Jagger's best solo effort in my opinion - a really strong record with great sound and sort of effortless going from one genré till another - cohesive is the word...

Of course Rolling Stones are on tour now so it's not happening right away - maybe the 30th anniversary?

Anyways bonus material could be the unreleased "Red Devils" blues album (finally getting that out there!!!) and a dvd of the "Webster Hall" performance in 5.1 sound a couple of b-side's and maybe some demo's like "Charmed Life"... and maybe there are a couple of outtakes from the sessions?

Yeah, but... [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 2, 2014 21:33

It's the only Jagger solo album i have too, No Expectations! Great album.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: January 3, 2014 06:23

Near masterpiece, would have been one of the best Stones album ever if..

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: January 3, 2014 15:11

One of the best albums ever. Not only Stones-related albums, I mean. One of the bests in the history of popular music.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home