Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why did the Stones become less "horny" in the late seventies?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 00:56

Forgive the terrible pun...
But fact is: the 1978 and 1981-82 tours witnessed some deleveraging on the horn section... 1978 had almost no wind section at all, nada, and 1981-82 tours had only a saxophone... Remember some wannabe critics saying already at that time it was a good time the Stones stripped down, and do without that Exile on Main Street brass that sounded too much funky soul music in their squared mind...

I disagreed. However, I think one horn only is awkward. Listening to the single saxophone of 1981-82 I feel sorry for it to be alone, quite drowned in that ocean of guitars. Moral is: horns have to go in pair, like nuts (other terrible pun, I can’t resist...)

Re: Why did the Stones become less "horny" in the late seventies?
Date: December 29, 2013 00:59

82 had two saxes throughout. ..

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:02

They finally got some Satisfaction...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:04

For the same reason that vibraphone and sitar were incorporated in the mid-60s--musical fashion.

The new music that Mick was being influenced by at that time was leaner, more basic and it was no longer fashionable to have lots of horns at that time. To have a sax player or two also recalled the very early days of rock n roll, a rootsier approach that they were once again reacquainting themselves with.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:09

+ horn sections cost money.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:17

when did mick stop being horny grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2013 12:35

Punk was all about stripping excess fat off rock'n'roll and the Stones listened and learned....for a while.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 29, 2013 13:55

The Joker
But fact is: the 1978 and 1981-82 tours witnessed some deleveraging on the horn section... 1978 had almost no wind section at all, nada, and 1981-82 tours had only a saxophone... Remember some wannabe critics saying already at that time it was a good time the Stones stripped down, and do without that Exile on Main Street brass that sounded too much funky soul music in their squared mind...

I disagreed. However, I think one horn only is awkward. Listening to the single saxophone of 1981-82 I feel sorry for it to be alone, quite drowned in that ocean of guitars. Moral is: horns have to go in pair, like nuts (other terrible pun, I can’t resist...)

I like it that it varies over their career how much horns there are. (You don't mention their earlier days.)

At the moment, if it could become obtainable, I would very much like to have a studio album of new songs which would explore the use of three guitars (Mick Taylor counted in). This as the dominant feature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 13:56 by Witness.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2013 17:18

Witness
The Joker

I like it that it varies over their career how much horns there are. (You don't mention their earlier days.)

At the moment, if it could become obtainable, I would very much like to have a studio album of new songs which would explore the use of three guitars (Mick Taylor counted in). This as the dominant feature.

with a sprinkling of nicky Hopkins-style piano.

Date: December 29, 2013 18:00

I think they were just as horny in the late 70s...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 29, 2013 20:23

The Joker

The 75-76 tours didn't have horns either.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 29, 2013 21:11

jamesfdouglas

The 75-76 tours didn't have horns either.

Yes, but B. Preston and Ollie Brown added so much fuss... and do not forget the giant penis... 1975-1976 was nothing stripped down... Safe Jagger’s cowboy chaps, that Billy would take off every night. Horny, definitely.

I like the sound of your group.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 29, 2013 21:23

The thing that annoys me is why Bobby Keys was left off most of the latter day recordings. For example Rough Justice was crying out for a rip snorting sax solo, to push it over the edge. Why didn't they bother?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 30, 2013 17:14

letitloose
The thing that annoys me is why Bobby Keys was left off most of the latter day recordings. For example Rough Justice was crying out for a rip snorting sax solo, to push it over the edge. Why didn't they bother?

I think the story is that you can blame Don Was and Keith. They convinced Mick to just release recordings as is. If they'd done more post production, including adding parts (and deleting some songs) we'd have a very strong album here.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 10, 2014 19:09

The Joker

I like the sound of your group.

Cheers man!
Thank you
smileys with beer

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 10, 2014 19:33

Silver Dagger
Punk was all about stripping excess fat off rock'n'roll and the Stones listened and learned....for a while.

Well, punk itself only learned for a while also. By the 90's Ska-Punk was the standard for punk music, and they typically had more horns in their lineups than traditional rock instruments. Not to mention various other unnecessary people on stage dancing or "skanking". In other words, they welcomed the fat back with open arms. There was still the hardcore stuff, but ska-punk ruled the radio waves and the charts. I don't know what's up in punk today, I'm assuming they have moved away from that stuff because I don't ever hear any ska-punk on the radio anymore except for those 90's bands. But at the same time I haven't heard any stuff that I would recognize as "punk" either, but maybe it's out there. I see lots of bands dressing up like punk rockers, but the music they're making is straight up pop.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 10, 2014 19:51

Brass adds a sexy sound, and this is one reason I HATED the punk influence in 1978! I am so glad they returned to a full brass section for this recent tour. And Keith should NOT weigh in on the production end of their recordings!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:55

2000 LYFH
They finally got some Satisfaction...

Best answer! Ha ha!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:25

Age, drugs, lack of drugs, losing their vision, internecine fighting, Mick's sad Peter Pan complex and his desperate need to appear 'with it', being too famous… the bloody fans always wanting the same thing from Mick and Keith who proved on GHS they were capable of composing beautiful ballads w/balls. Trapped in that horrific Iron Maiden of stultified creativity.

Does that suffice?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home