Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Decisions, Decisions...
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 17, 2013 03:50

So, after finally paying off the credit card from the 2013 shows, and the 2012 trip to London for the O2 shows, I made the decision to go to one of the upcoming shows. But I'm having a tough time deciding which one. I have it narrowed down to Tokyo or Abu Dhabi. Both will require an equally arduous journey from the Philadelphia area. I'm favoring Abu Dhabi for the warm weather, but Tokyo for it's cuisine and night life. Although admittedly, I know very little about either place. Any recommendations on one vs the other and also which place would better accommodate a person whom only speaks English would be greatly appreciated. Also, any safety concerns moving around either city solo?

Re: Decisions, Decisions...
Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:01

I would suggest Australia.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:08

Yeah come ta Hanging Rock ... see The Stones and even a kangaroo while ya at it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:13

Abu Dhabi? Well, when you've seen one financial services institution building, you've seen them all. How is the Abu Dhabi music scene, any clubs? And how do the women look? Despite the warm weather, they likely won't be showing much....

With Tokyo, on the other hand, you could pass by the Budokan, where The Beatles played two shows in 1966, maybe take a photo of yourself standing outside,....

....plus the women there seem a lot more fun....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 06:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:29

I went to both places this year (and did the Japanese tour in 2003).

Tokyo - absolutely, for the Stones experience and three-shows-for-one airfare. But it ain't cheap. Nightlife may be limited to the Stones-themed Happy bar in the Shinjuku district. Also Tower Records and the slew of indie record stores will be humming with Stones activity. Cuisine? I saw more curry houses than sushi joints. The weather won't be great.

Abu Dhabi - interesting for a half-day of sightseeing though Dubai and other emirates in UAE are better. The only people at the show will be elderly Westerners, i.e. a typical show in USA. The handful of Arabs in UAE don't care, and the hordes of South Asian worker bees live in poverty after sending their meager pay packets back home.

PS - No safety or language issues in either place. Road signs, subway signs etc are all in English. I hardly spoke to any Japanese people anyway. You'd have more human encounters in UAE, with the friendly Filipinos and cricket-loving South Asians. Airfares to both places are *relatively* cheap at that time of the year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 04:33 by DeanGoodman.

Date: December 17, 2013 05:06

Only money and time for 1 show regardless where it is on this leg of the tour. (Holding out hope for Paris in the summer.) Will be a short stay, likely only 3 nights in Tokyo ( lose 2 days traveling from the east coast, USA). 4 nights if I go to Abu Dhabi. Australia would be nice, but I've been given the green light to go solo from the wife as long as I DO NOT go to Australia. (This is a vacation dream of hers. We'll get there eventually, and when we do, we'll stay 2 weeks.) The two of us going is cost prohibitive at this time. She's hoping for Paris in the summer as well.

The more I read about Abu Dhabi, it sounds like Vegas with none of the fun debauchery. Leaning toward the first show in Tokyo.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 17, 2013 05:19

Wise move. But based on what happened in North America, it seems the Stones saved their best for the final show in each city. First-night shows are traditionally patchy.

BTW, I guesstimated airfares from PHL/NYC area - about $900 to Abu Dhabi, $1,160 to TOK and $1,600 to SYD.

Date: December 17, 2013 05:29

DeanGoodman
Wise move. But based on what happened in North America, it seems the Stones saved their best for the final show in each city. First-night shows are traditionally patchy.

BTW, I guesstimated airfares from PHL/NYC area - about $900 to Abu Dhabi, $1,160 to TOK and $1,600 to SYD.

True dat. Re-re-thinking dates now. lol

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 17, 2013 06:13

jazzbass
So, after finally paying off the credit card from the 2013 shows, and the 2012 trip to London for the O2 shows, I made the decision to go to one of the upcoming shows. But I'm having a tough time deciding which one. I have it narrowed down to Tokyo or Abu Dhabi. Both will require an equally arduous journey from the Philadelphia area. I'm favoring Abu Dhabi for the warm weather, but Tokyo for it's cuisine and night life. Although admittedly, I know very little about either place. Any recommendations on one vs the other and also which place would better accommodate a person whom only speaks English would be greatly appreciated. Also, any safety concerns moving around either city solo?

Hmm ............... I should stay home if I were you. These foreign parts are all highly suspect winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 17, 2013 07:18

Fyi,

West Shinjuku - Bootleg Heaven
[www.vinylrecordcollector.net]

Jimbocho - Book Heaven
[www.japan-talk.com]

Ochanomizu - Guitar Heaven
[www.alphabetcityblog.com]

Akihabara - Electronics and Otaku Heaven
[www.japan-talk.com]

Run, run Rudolph 'cause I'm reelin' like a Sushi-Go-Round
[mouseintokyo.wordpress.com]

The people of Tokyo would welcome you with Omotenashi(The Heart of Japanese Hospitality).smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 12:05 by Toru A.

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: December 17, 2013 10:26

you could also consider the venues as Tokyo is indoor and Abu Dhabi is outdoor in a sort of space-ship looking type of construction.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2013 19:27

if i was going ,i think it would be japan . im gonna move to japan(band)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 17, 2013 20:46

I'd go for Tokyo, too, even though it's probably more expensive all round. I haven't been to Japan but I have been to Abu Dhabi a few times (including Yas Island) for work and would not call it the world's most exciting or interesting place. Far from it.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 17, 2013 23:19

Tokyo. You could take in more than one show, there's more to do between shows and cheap accommodation is possible if you're not too fussy, e.g. capsule hotels. I've used them - for a few nights it's not a problem.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 17, 2013 23:19

Tokyo. See you there!

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2013 00:28

Another vote for Tokyo.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 18, 2013 00:35

jazzbass
Only money and time for 1 show regardless where it is on this leg of the tour. (Holding out hope for Paris in the summer.) Will be a short stay, likely only 3 nights in Tokyo ( lose 2 days traveling from the east coast, USA). 4 nights if I go to Abu Dhabi. Australia would be nice, but I've been given the green light to go solo from the wife as long as I DO NOT go to Australia. (This is a vacation dream of hers. We'll get there eventually, and when we do, we'll stay 2 weeks.) The two of us going is cost prohibitive at this time. She's hoping for Paris in the summer as well.

The more I read about Abu Dhabi, it sounds like Vegas with none of the fun debauchery. Leaning toward the first show in Tokyo.

How about New Zealand?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 18, 2013 00:44

I'm putting together a weeknlong China trip from Boston for the MACAU show - which is of no help to you I know.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 18, 2013 00:47

I'm putting together a weeknlong China trip from Boston for the MACAU show - which is of no help to you I know. But I'd do Japan if I were you.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:37

rebelrebel
capsule hotels.

Good lord! You know what these remind me of?....

except that morgue lockers seem to have a bit more room....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 18, 2013 10:55

Yeah, but you only actually sleep there! There's an area for drinks and snacks, showers, sauna - it's all pretty civilised really.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 18, 2013 12:26

jazzbass
Go to Melbourne. It is an awesome city & you could do 2 shows there including 1 in a pretty unique setting @ Hanging Rock.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 19, 2013 01:36

Do you really want to go to Tokyo or Abu Dhabi ALONE?

I agree with Holstrom's post. Tell your wife you're heading for Australia so you can learn about a wonderful country and take her back there for one of the best vacations of her life! Australia loves the Stones and those shows are sure to be special.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 19, 2013 03:00

Don't go to Abu Dhabi if you want an interesting set list

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: December 20, 2013 07:40

Personally would pick Australia. Nice folks, wrote for a paper over there several years. Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride! winking smiley

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: December 20, 2013 18:12

both shows?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home