Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Like a Rolling Stone - Brixton
Date: December 20, 2013 02:46

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Chuck Berry's contribution is of another kind than the spesific novelty, more or less an innovation, associated with "Like A Rolling Stone". The latter has to do with the subjective turn that this song implies, as given a better statement by Doxa than I am able to present.

I see that.

"How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction (to your wealthy) home?"

But I also see:

"How does it feel to have to cope with things like fighting in the army, poverty, hard work, everyday problems etc."

One thing influences the other, clearly. And one day, people actually will listen - often way later smiling smiley

But you're right in how Dylan is describing things and putting the topic in perspective - he was the master at that. But he had done it before as well...

I did not respond to that post.

The second setting is realism as to literary style.

The first setting, so to speak, verges on expressionism. It is more of the individual's existential loneliness, alienation and helplessness. Somewhat deviating from "expressionism" in turn, perhaps, it is not I (first person) that is speaking of his or her outlook, but, I venture, because it applies to lyrics to a song of rock, instead it is you (second person).

What do you mean, Witness?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 20, 2013 08:17

Such a reaction makes me wonder if I have misread the post I tried to respond to. I return the question: What were you implying by your two verse lines, DP?

Date: December 20, 2013 10:05

That things influence eachother, Witness - regarding the Chuck Berry-tune.

PS: I came home from a big party last night, and had trouble understanding your post. I do understand it now smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-20 10:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 20, 2013 10:14

I interpreted the two lines as different styles. Where you possibly will focus on similarities and say that they are related and the second (Chuck Berry) influencing the first (Bob Dylan), I will rather focus on the innovation represented by the later, first mentionned. In the same manner as I have been guided by introductions to works of literature.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 20, 2013 11:03

Dylan's LARS is the greatest moment in rock history. The Stones version is not even the greatest moment of the Brixton CD.

Date: December 20, 2013 13:12

MR on Brixton must be the worst version they ever did? I've never heard it as a trainwreck before...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home