Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Piano player on LSTNT and RT
Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: December 6, 2013 02:29

Who is the piano player on Ruby Tuesday and on Let's Spend the Night Together?

Brian??

Re: Piano player on LSTNT and RT
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 6, 2013 02:34

Jack Nitzsche on Lets Spend The Night Together, Jack or Brian on Ruby Tuesday.

There is conflicting info regarding the player of the piano on Ruby Tuesday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 02:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 6, 2013 03:24

40 Licks states Brian on recorder and piano on Ruby Tuesday. In Bill's book, he also mentions Brian playing the piano. Before reading those two quotes, I always assumed he was just playing recorder.

Date: December 6, 2013 03:39

The pairing of those two songs = a perfect single. cool smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 6, 2013 03:47

His Majesty
Jack Nitzsche on Lets Spend The Night Together, Jack or Brian on Ruby Tuesday.

There is conflicting info regarding the player of the piano on Ruby Tuesday.

I would wonder about that myself. Recorder? Yes. That sounds like Brian, picking up a different type of instrument and making some passably engaging riffs come out of it for a one-off type of thing.

But the piano on Ruby Tuesday sounds too.... accomplished, as if the player on that track had been playing regularly for years, perhaps with a bit of classical training as well, because no one played piano on rock records like that at that point in time, aside from Ray Manzarek.

The piano was always around the studio and was frequently used on Stones records for years by that point, so why would Brian have waited until the RT session to finally distinguish himself on the instrument, and at no point thereafter?

As a keys player, he seems only to have played occasional organ and mellotron, because he was more interested in electronic forms of music for keyboard playing, it would seem.

So I would say it would have to have been someone other than Brian on piano for that track. I mean, he and Keith may have messed around on the piano during the song's earlier, more rudimentary stages of development, but in the final recording the piano has the hallmark of a studio session player at the very least.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: December 6, 2013 09:27

Watched some of the Stones old clips on the Ed Sullivan shows from the '60s over Thanksgiving weekend & in Ruby Tuesday, Brian sat on the edge of piano stool facing audience playing recorder. Not sure who did piano-playing, almost looked like Keith! winking smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 6, 2013 09:48

But for that show, only the vocals were live, whereas the instrumentation was a pre-recorded backing track.

Date: December 6, 2013 09:50

"Yeah, I played piano on Let's Spend the Night Together, and then I overdubbed the guitar. To me that song was a progression from Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?. It was like Have You Seen Your Mother was a step toward Let's Spend the Night Together, because the chords and the structure of the song are very similar. And the fact that I'd wrote them both on piano, one was almost the same as the other".

- Keith Richards, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 10:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 6, 2013 11:54

DandelionPowderman
"Yeah, I played piano on Let's Spend the Night Together, and then I overdubbed the guitar. To me that song was a progression from Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?. It was like Have You Seen Your Mother was a step toward Let's Spend the Night Together, because the chords and the structure of the song are very similar. And the fact that I'd wrote them both on piano, one was almost the same as the other".

- Keith Richards, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

It's Keith himself, and others, who have told us Jack played piano on the track.

I think Keith might be playing the upper octaves later on in the track with Jack playing the main stuff. Or he's just merged his memories of writing it on piano and the recording of the track and Jack does it all.

No way is Keith playing the main piano. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-06 12:03 by His Majesty.

Date: December 6, 2013 11:59

stonehearted

But the piano on Ruby Tuesday sounds too.... accomplished, as if the player on that track had been playing regularly for years, perhaps with a bit of classical training as well, because no one played piano on rock records like that at that point in time, aside from Ray Manzarek.

Thing is, the piano on Ruby Tuesday is kinda messy, it's not as professionally played as the piano on LSTNT. The dynamics are quite ham fisted. It's mostly all pretty basic stuff.

It's not on the same kind of focused level as the main piano playing on LSTNT or anywhere close to the playing of Ray Manzarek.

Date: December 6, 2013 12:03

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1982

[timeisonourside.com]

It's Keith himself, and others, who have told us Jack played piano on the track.

I think Keith might be playing the upper octaves later on in the track with Jack playing the main stuff. Or he's just merged his memories of writing it on piano and the recording of the track and Jack does it all.

No way is Keith playing the main piano. tongue sticking out smiley

Yeah, I've read that too.

Date: December 6, 2013 12:14

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I recall reading Keith saying he sat beside Jack at the piano. smiling smiley

Date: December 6, 2013 12:16

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I recall reading Keith saying he sat beside Jack at the piano. smiling smiley

The main piano really isn't very hard to play, but you may be right about Keith not playing that.

Date: December 6, 2013 12:27

DandelionPowderman

The main piano really isn't very hard to play, but you may be right about Keith not playing that.

It's the playing of someone who can really play piano though, way too involved for someone who was essentially a dabbler/beginner.

It's most definitely not Keith playing the main piano.

Date: December 6, 2013 13:14

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

It's the playing of someone who can really play piano though, way too involved for someone who was essentially a dabbler/beginner.

It's most definitely not Keith playing the main piano.

I'm not really convinced about that...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2013 15:43

Damn, I always assumed Nicky Hopkins.

Date: December 6, 2013 18:04

DandelionPowderman

Are you drunk or stoned or something?

Date: December 6, 2013 18:09

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Not yet...

Date: December 6, 2013 18:25

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Not yet...

grinning smileydrinking smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: December 14, 2013 10:13

stonehearted
But for that show, only the vocals were live, whereas the instrumentation was a pre-recorded backing track.

Brian's recorder-playing looked pretty live to me, the wind in his cheeks & all. winking smiley

Date: December 14, 2013 16:56

owlbynite
stonehearted

Brian's recorder-playing looked pretty live to me, the wind in his cheeks & all. winking smiley

Yah don't hear his live playing though. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home