Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT--Bob Dylan controversy
Date: December 4, 2013 11:12

He entered a minefield here, and commenting without taking ALL the countries/cultures/group of people in the region's actions was narrow-minded at best.

What is good, however, is that people like Bob still cares, and voices his opinion about what he thinks is wrong - to make a difference.

But making a comment like this, without having the proper knowledge about the issue, is just silly, Bob.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2013 11:35

DandelionPowderman
He entered a minefield here, and commenting without taking ALL the countries/cultures/group of people in the region's actions was narrow-minded at best.

What is good, however, is that people like Bob still cares, and voices his opinion about what he thinks is wrong - to make a difference.

But making a comment like this, without having the proper knowledge about the issue, is just silly, Bob.

I agree that is good that he voices his opinion. But this ill-fated remark - or example - about Serbs/Croatians hides the real point of his saying, that is, how strongly he sees the ethnic tensions still living in our culture, under the surface if we little dig up, no matter how formally we have thought to have sorted it out. And once again, the point of departure of his reflection is the world he knows best, America. Unfortunately I think he is more than right there.

- Doxa

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 4, 2013 12:15

Maybe this is why he rarely speaks publicly. Because everything is under scrutiny. I beleive his comments are not racist. In my opinion he's saying racism/hate is very much alive within these particular groups.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 4, 2013 13:39

frankotero
Maybe this is why he rarely speaks publicly. Because everything is under scrutiny. I beleive his comments are not racist. In my opinion he's saying racism/hate is very much alive within these particular groups.

It is possible indeed that racism and anti-semitism are very much alive within nazis. No offense meant!

Date: December 4, 2013 14:06

windmelody
It is possible indeed that racism and anti-semitism are very much alive within nazis.

I guess that goes without saying. If one is calling oneself a "nazi", that involves being a racist and an anti-semitate. And there unfortunately are nutcases like that around (but fortunately not many). But I think Bob's point goes deeper, beyond those 'obvious' cases, and says that the attitudes of the likes of KKK and nazis (and the fear of them), are still existing in our culture, even though they are not seen so well or talked so much anymore. But they affect to our lives. I think Dylan is just stating the obvious but taking the reaction (for example here), seems to indicate that he says something that 'we' don't want to hear...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-04 14:11 by Doxa.

Date: December 4, 2013 14:29

I totally agree with you Doxa, my remark was ironic. Dylan has a point, but drawing a line from the klu-klux clan and the nazis to "croatians" was not too smart. Ustasha would have been better.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 4, 2013 14:59

[www.motherjones.com]

"France was giving Bob Dylan a major award for exercising free speech, while they were investigating him for exercising free speech."

Date: December 4, 2013 15:00

windmelody
I totally agree with you Doxa, my remark was ironic. Dylan has a point, but drawing a line from the klu-klux clan and the nazis to "croatians" was not too smart. Ustasha would have been better.

Yep. But irony is that without that ill-fated remark the whole point had been gone unnoticed... at least, I wouldn't have heard about it...

- Doxa

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:26

The answer is blowing in the wind .......

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:33

Good one Elmo!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:49

storm in a teacup

Date: December 4, 2013 17:04

These kind of scandals seem to be popular in France. Some years ago Lars von Trier said in Cannes:"Okay, I'm a Nazi". French authorities declared that they would "take this very serious". I do not know how the interrogation went. "Monsieur, are you a Nazi?" "No." "Okay".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-04 17:30 by windmelody.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:23

It is all marketing... simply Dylan reminding everyone to be sure to remember him and buy one of his products, maybe 2-3, as presents for others. Any minute now Bob (and his marketing team) will probably declare "Dylan Thursdays" where everyone is supposed to buy one of his products every Thursday until the end of the year.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 4, 2013 21:46

Gazza
[www.motherjones.com]

"France was giving Bob Dylan a major award for exercising free speech, while they were investigating him for exercising free speech."

In France free speech doesn't equal "saying stupid ill-informed things".
Or we have to make "free speech" the equivalent of "baby babbling" = "whatever goes out of my mouth is worth your attention!"

Hey Bob you're a bit too old to wear diapers... >grinning smiley<
(come to think of it since he's 71, in a few small years he might be have a use for diap... Aw stop it you IORR crowd you make me say silly things)

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2013 21:58

dcba
Gazza
[www.motherjones.com]

Or we have to make "free speech" the equivalent of "baby babbling" = "whatever goes out of my mouth is worth your attention!"

Hey Bob you're a bit too old to wear diapers... >grinning smiley<
(come to think of it since he's 71, in a few small years he might be have a use for diap... Aw stop it you IORR crowd you make me say silly things)

he's 72..

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 4, 2013 22:21

Elmo Lewis
The answer is blowing in the wind .......

All the hoopla is an Idiot Wind.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2013 22:45

well he talked about Turks in 'Gotta Serve Somebody' but they didn't get all in a twist...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 5, 2013 02:01

Bob is stating HIS OPINION and he should be free to do so without everyone getting up in arms about it and there might be some truth in his statements I don't know. Investigating his remarks is a waste of time and money.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2013 02:14

dcba

Just as well. Most people on these forums would have been locked up long ago, by that yardstick.

He made the comment in America to an American journalist. Ludicrous that it becomes a legal issue in another country, even more so considering the comments don't even relate to THAT country!

Wait til the North Koreans hear about this. They'll be sentencing him to death in absentia for not having a photo of Kim-Il Sung on his wall during the interview.

Date: December 5, 2013 02:28

Gazza
Wait til the North Koreans hear about this. They'll be sentencing him to death in absentia for not having a photo of Kim-Il Sung on his wall during the interview.

That already happened earlier today, didnt you see the news?
But never fear, Dennis Rodman is flying to North Korea tonight to see if he can work it all out. [www.cnn.com] Hopefully this all wont end in nuclear war... or something.

Date: December 5, 2013 02:30

and btw- dont forget to pick up Bob Dylan's latest releases,
they make great Christmas or Hanukkah or Festivus or Kwanza (did I leave anyone out?) gift. DONT DELAY!! BUY IT TODAY!!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 5, 2013 02:51

Is there still a controversy today? I thought that was yesterday--hey! Who wants yesterday's papers, HaHa!....

Bob should capitalize and release a new single about it:

Gotta Serb Somebody

You might be a reporter in England or France
You might like to ramble, might like to take a chance
You might be a heavyweight Croatian in the world
You might be sensitive when stung by my string of words.

But you're gonna have to Serb somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to Serb somebody
It might be the racists, maybe them for sure
But you're gonna have to Serb somebody....

Date: December 5, 2013 03:19

Max'sKansasCity
Gazza

But never fear, Dennis Rodman is flying to North Korea tonight to see if he can work it all out. [www.cnn.com] Hopefully this all wont end in nuclear war... or something.

Actually, I really dont care what Dylan thinks or what he meant, but I'm suprised that nobody is offended by Dennis Rodman being buddy buddy with one of the worst criminals of our time. Shouldnt that destroy Rodmans career for good ? Why is it that people make a big deal about Dylan's personal opinion and they dont give damn when Dennis Rodman is best friends with fascist lunatic dictator ? I dont get it.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 5, 2013 03:24

seitan
Why is it that people make a big deal about Dylan's personal opinion and they dont give damn when Dennis Rodman is best friends with fascist lunatic dictator ? I dont get it.

Because Bob Dylan's whole career is based on his personal opinion--his opinions are everywhere, just blowin' in the wind.

Dennis Rodman is a just a number on a jersey who bounces a ball around--when he retires, someone else just takes his place. No one cares about what Dennis Rodman says--it's a slam dunk.

Date: December 5, 2013 03:25

seitan
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza

Actually, I really dont care what Dylan thinks or what he meant, but I'm suprised that nobody is offended by Dennis Rodman being buddy buddy with one of the worst criminals of our time. Shouldnt that destroy Rodmans career for good ? Why is it that people make a big deal about Dylan's personal opinion and they dont give damn when Dennis Rodman is best friends with fascist lunatic dictator ? I dont get it.
what career?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2013 03:29

Elle: Hey, Jay! Zed called. The high consulate from Solaxiant 9 wants floor seats for the next Bulls game.

Jay: All right, let's put in a call to Dennis Rodman. He's from that planet.

Elle: Rodman? You're kidding.

Jay: Nope.

Elle: Not much of a disguise.

..............................................Men In Black

ROCKMAN

Date: December 5, 2013 03:32

MIB

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 5, 2013 05:16

seitan
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza

So I'm to understand you don't know the difference between what Bob Dylan does and what Dennis Rodman does?

You're exactly right, you don't get it.

Date: December 5, 2013 05:59

treaclefingers
seitan
Max'sKansasCity
Gazza

So I'm to understand you don't know the difference between what Bob Dylan does and what Dennis Rodman does?

You're exactly right, you don't get it.

I think I do know the difference but maybe you can explain ? Please, tell me what YOU mean ?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: December 5, 2013 06:52

I doubt if he meant what he said literally. More likely he "misspoke" which even careful people do from time to time.

But whatever he believes, I guess the committee will "investigate"...that's even dumber than anything Dylan might have been saying.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home