Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

News single tomorrow?
Posted by: R ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:03

Given the Stones penchant for flashy publicity stunts, can you imagine a new Stones track being released, to iTunes for example, on the same day as the press conference? I can.

Tuesday is when the new stuff comes out afterall.

Re: News single tomorrow?
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:25

i think on wednesday the new single will be on the radio

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:28

no way

we'd have heard about it by now and radio stations would have it on their playlists. songs just dont "turn up" on the radio from nowhere anymore in 2005

We dont even know the titles of any songs yet. Way too early for any radio or downloads

Date: May 9, 2005 14:30

"songs just dont "turn up" on the radio from nowhere anymore in 2005"

A new Stones song would be lucky to get on the radio anywhere. The internet is a brave new medium however. I'll be the first to admit it's a remote possibility - but it would be cool.

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:38

Why is it so impossible that they release a new single soon?
They could play one of the new songs tomorrow, telling the press that it'll be released at the end of the week. I mean, they have been in the studio now for some time, they should be able to perform a new song live, don't you think?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:46

I think the new single will be played tomorrow, but will be released just two weeks before the album release or the tour starts. If the chances or so small that a new Stones single will receive much attention (as al lot of the board memebers seem to think), then it makes more sense to release it just before you want the attention and that's when the tour kicks off or the album comes out.

Release it now and the attention will be faded in a month...

E.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2005 15:13

KeithRichards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is it so impossible that they release a new
> single soon?
> They could play one of the new songs tomorrow,
> telling the press that it'll be released at the
> end of the week. I mean, they have been in the
> studio now for some time, they should be able to
> perform a new song live, don't you think?
>
>

because thats not the way the singles market works anymore

Singles get released to radio stations WEEKS in advance of their release date, aimed at securing advance orders and as high a chart entry in the week of release as possible.

Singles have an incredibly short shelf-life these days. usually sales peak in the first release then drop off dramatically

there is no way the Stones would or could release a new single without it being common knowledge weeks in advance, and no way would they release it without it initially been released to radio stations to be considered for their playlists

I wouldnt even bank on them releasing a single prior to the album, if at all. Its not a market for 60+ acts anymore and those shitty music channels are hardly like to play much by anyone over 30 anyway

To answer your 2nd question, theres no reason why they couldnt play a new song that theyve recently been recording. Whether its their eventual choice of single is another thing

Date: May 9, 2005 15:38

"Singles get released to radio stations WEEKS in advance of their release date, aimed at securing advance orders and as high a chart entry in the week of release as possible."

that's it gazza

that is what i meant, tomorrow they play it, wed or at least by the end of the week they release it to radio stations...

uh

at least i think it sounds possible
maybe it is likely to happen
definitively i hope so
winking smiley

Date: May 9, 2005 16:06

"I mean, they have been in the studio now for some time, they should be able to perform a new song live, don't you think?"

It would be pretty silly, to say nothing of redundant, to play three old ones. I'm guessing two warhorses and a new song.

And since a live recording of them doing the new song will likely find its way to the internet within hours or days anyway, why not release it to the internet and say the hell with the radio stations?

In America, commercial musical radio ceased to be relevant twenty years ago or more. We have no radio format here to play a NEW Stones song.

Date: May 9, 2005 16:17

well i don't know about radio stations in the us, here in italy you still have to be on the radio and on tv to sell...

what?

well the point of delivering music digitally has more to do with the (poorer and poorer) sales of cd singles than to the promotion via FM radio...

maybe this is another thing we'll find out tomorrow > that is, how they're going to release the new single...

maybe podcasting??? winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home