Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Countdown to The Rolling Stones 2014 Tour start
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:45

Thanks for all the info everyone and a fiery upvote for the 14 on fire tour Long roll The Stones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-05 22:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 5, 2013 22:40

bv
If you are looking for a budget way to do MANY MANY travels then all airliners have their "secret" tickets which they do not talk much about. They are taylor made for the backpack travel segment: "Around The World Tickets". I use one of these per tour.

They take you around the world and they cost less thana lot of singles tickets. One time I used one of these to get to Singapore then the rest of Asia. First probably the planet's longest single flight code: NZ1 from London via LAX then onwards to Auckland New Zealand It was 12h + 12h + 4 hours i.e. 30 hours with the 4h transit in LA, same plane. Starting on a Thursday, landing on a Saturday, Friday did not exist... Then I did a lot of the 2005 tour with a 38,860 miles totil ticket (top limit 39,000). It took me to many, many shows. They start at $3,500 upwards.

Basically the rule is fly around the globe within 12 months, never stay more than one time in any city, up to 16 cities, so long distance through this one then add up with budget local travel like Quantas inland Australia, Jet Blue USA and so on. Then go home with another ticket and jump back on the around the world ticket some months later. Takes some planning but you get flexibility. These tickets may be changed at any time, cost like $150 but you change only when they add a major leg to the tour, so buy it shortly before the tour is on, and change it when the next leg is fully announced.

All airliners do have these tickets, but they do not make any money on them, so they will not tell you unless you ask them. And don't ask any agents. Ak the airliner.

I will need one of these for 2014 of course. Eastbound probably.

I did the "Around The World Ticket" one time. Stones were part of the journey, but not the only purpose. I flew westbound, to avoid night flights. On the other side, when flying eastbound, you save hotel nights, if you don't mind sleeping in the plane.

Bjornulf, 12h + 12h + 4 hours, it is bit scary. Really admire your body and mind resistance. For now, I think will fly from Europe to Abu Dhabi. Austalia is quite a leap... How do you take it? I mean, it has no much sense to go to a show for sleeping - It happened to me one time in Houston, second 1998 show, because of the jet lag.

If I follow your 2014 agenda, you would fly back from NZ to Norway, then back in NZ or South American to go back on trail with your world tour ticket. Is that right?

Posted by: winos ()
Date: December 6, 2013 00:35

After all that air travel to get to Australia and the price of food, transport, accommodation etc here you might be only able to afford the cheap seats!

As the article in the Melbourne Age today compares the prices the Stones are charging to what Springsteen charged earlier this year.....$220 in front row standing area and $180 for good seats.
I love the Stones but I'm baulking at paying $578 & $375 to hear JJF TD, MU etc etc for the 11th time (for me anyway)!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: December 6, 2013 05:15

I love this thread! Thank you bv for posting your 2014 Stones travel plans, previous experiences etc. here. I had heard about the "Around the World" airline fare plans but never looked into it. When the Stones played Oz and NZ in 2006 I made the trip down under and would love to go back but I already have plans to be in Europe for five weeks next summer so I don't see how I can possibly fit it in. Maybe I'll get lucky and manage to catch the Stones on their European tour while I'm over there instead.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 6, 2013 11:08

"Around the world ticket" demands a huge time for the company agent to book. About 2 to 4 hours. You need to go in a major point of sale, check they have enough staff to attend. Staffer must be skilled, because it is a hell of complication. Say, for exemple with Skyteam, only 10 % of the flights Paris NYC are eligible. Some formula of "Around the world ticket" authorize to go a little bit backward when flying eastbound or westbound (say, flying westbound, you are not allow, with the cheapest "Around the world ticket" to fly from London to Paris because Paris is farer at the East compared to London).
So I guees it is complicated when it comes to adjust with a RS tour that drift East rather than drift West. Some "Around the world ticket", more expensive, authorise to go backward, but one or two times only.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 6, 2013 13:23

The Joker
"Around the world ticket" demands a huge time for the company agent to book. About 2 to 4 hours. You need to go in a major point of sale, check they have enough staff to attend. Staffer must be skilled, because it is a hell of complication. Say, for exemple with Skyteam, only 10 % of the flights Paris NYC are eligible. Some formula of "Around the world ticket" authorize to go a little bit backward when flying eastbound or westbound (say, flying westbound, you are not allow, with the cheapest "Around the world ticket" to fly from London to Paris because Paris is farer at the East compared to London).
So I guees it is complicated when it comes to adjust with a RS tour that drift East rather than drift West. Some "Around the world ticket", more expensive, authorise to go backward, but one or two times only.

You need to get e-mail service and you will need to communicate a lot as you set up the travel plans. Find out the distances using the calculators they have online, then make a raw plan, get an offer via e-mail, and work on it from there. The airliners have separate people to handle these. They are experts on world travel and they will give you excellent service. They work on success based on customer satisfaction and not just from the cut/margin on the sale. Don't use a travel agent. They live out of their cut i.e. percent of sales only, and they don't want to spend time helping you save money on these special cheap and complex tickets. I have worked directly with SAS in star alliance many times in fact on most my travels, adding up with stubs and fligts from virtually all other major airliners including Jet Blue, Quantas, AA ande so on. Use Quantas/BA or Star Alliance on this tour, they are both perfect match for the area.

Bjornulf

Request for Bjornulf
Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: December 6, 2013 23:21

BV I really love your insight and knowledge of Stones tours. As I live in the States and will not be able to attend any of the shows. Please continue to provide us with all the information you can. I enjoy your reviews of the shows as well as the discussion of the different set lists. Thank you again. It's only rock and roll!

Date: December 7, 2013 16:35

Just finishing the fourt birthday party in one week with gradchildren - the last one today - she was born when I was on the airport on my way to the Boorklyn show - exactly one year ago today - so she has a special connection to this tour.

I have come this far, and I want to see the rest now. Every show. Every friend in every city. So many great friends and fans to meet up with in Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, Perth, Macau, Abu Dhabi and so on, and of course so many great shows. But it is hard and I am trying to sort out all the limitations, logistics and look into options. It should be possible, but it will take 7 weeks excluding rehearsals. To be honest, it will be a long wait. Today it is 11 weeks minus one day until the tour start in Abu Dhabi i.e. 76 days. Two months and two weeks yesterday. The countdown is on.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 7, 2013 16:54

bv
Every friend in every city. So many great friends and fans to meet up with

That is so true. Not just the Stonesshow, but also meeting all these friends, is what makes a Stonestour so wonderful.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 8, 2013 21:05

Since Australia's a hard place for me to get to ...
I guess that means that Abu Dhabi is between Iraq and a hard place.

Date: December 8, 2013 21:46

schillid
Abu Dhabi is between Iraq and a hard place.

Splendid

-------------------

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:25

BV - Write a book on your tour travelling and Stones shows. I'll keep asking you until you do it. It seems like you're holding back many stories, so I can only hope it's for a book sometime.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 9, 2013 00:28

JumpingKentFlash
BV - Write a book on your tour travelling and Stones shows. I'll keep asking you until you do it. It seems like you're holding back many stories, so I can only hope it's for a book sometime.

Yeah dude

His contribution to Love You Live the book is ace >grinning smiley<

\m/

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: December 9, 2013 11:20

rehearsals in abu dhabi?
doesn't seem realistic..

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 9, 2013 11:22

andrea66
rehearsals in abu dhabi?
doesn't seem realistic..

Rehearsals in Paris in January is what I heard some days ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 11:22 by henrik87.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2013 17:07

Some of you probably got this and I'm not sure if it's already been posted but here is the video announcing the tour...just got it via email this morning. Great use of Doom and Gloom!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 9, 2013 23:42

treaclefingers
Some of you probably got this and I'm not sure if it's already been posted but here is the video announcing the tour...just got it via email this morning. Great use of Doom and Gloom!

[www.youtube.com]

I completely agree!
Doom and Gloom kicks ass!
Glad to hear it again and again and again...

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 10, 2013 15:25

this is just some info for people who may travel to the concerts and need accommodation. Be aware that in all cities the accommodation price on the night of the concert has already increased quite a bit. Especially Hotels close to the arenas are fairly highpriced now.

Date: December 10, 2013 17:05

HOW TO GET ACOMMODATION FOR SHOWS:

Rule number one - and one of the main reasons why I publish these pages with rumoured shows: From the moment you hear about a date, and there is a slight chance you think may be you will go to that show, then book a hotel room nearby the venue immediately. And book it flexible, i.e. with the option to cancel at no extra cost. I never use agents, I always book direct with hotels, too many agents who have tried to take my money when I cancel.

I booked a room long time agot at Hanging Rock, but they asked for up front payment, so I said no. It turned out the show was on Sunday while my info said Saturday, also that room was not really that good (no internet, no facilities), so it is a tough job, but hotels must be booked first, then tickets, then travel, then talk to you family about going. Well it is the wrong order but that is how it works...

I do still remember my Moncton booking, at the local hotel right next to the 85,000 capacity field in Moncton. I booked a room at virtually nothing the same moment I got the date in May 2005. Then I came to Moncton in September, that hotel was of course fully booked months ago. The guy at the reseption asked for double price on the room, told me it was special rates due to the concert. Nobody is booking that Moncton hotel in May for a stay in September - Moncton is not really the center of the earth... Then I pulled out my printout with the guaranteed confirmed stay at a low rate, and I was the only person at that hotel paying list price... Everybody is after your money. Get a confirmation, print it, and bring it.

I thouht of booking at IBIS Olympia Park Sydney, but thinking about it for too long is of course stupid. So I might have to settle with the one I first booked. And so on. It is hard work planning travel before all the bits and pieces are done, but it pays off in the end.

Bjornulf

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 10, 2013 18:59

Even though this tour is impossible for me, it's great fun to see the excitement and enthusiasm from everyone who is going, or at least attempting to go. Yes, there is the usual grousing about tickets, but even that seems tinged with happiness this time. BV, of course, is in his element. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 19:21 by latebloomer.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 10, 2013 19:54

bv-great to hear everythings going well and thanks for keeping us up to date on the tour.
many of us who come here tend to take it for granted sometimes but we shouldnt forget the time, effort and money it takes to run a site and also have it work perfectly with not one ad or pop-up anywhere.so again,thank you.

also good job on the fitness routine.everyone should do something like that -i call it the jagger boot camp rock and roll survival method.

Date: December 10, 2013 20:08

As for fitness and running, I am on the longest stretch of "not doing anything" these days. I think it has lasted for four weeks, but it feels like forever. The experts (there are quite a few) say I should not use my body the way I do, like I go to Stones shows. To the extreme. Not every day, 2-3 hours, some times even 6-7. Well that is new top me, to have limits on running, climbing, biking, working - but I understand my legs are limited in hours and distance. Hopefully I can start speeding up before the tour start, today the number is 73.

Bjornulf

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 10, 2013 20:37

Bjornulf, so when do you go back into training for the tour, picking up your physical activity after resting for four weeks?

I find it easier to be ready for shows in the spring or summer when I can at least go out walking more, in the States.

This 14 on Fire sounds very exciting so far. Have much fun for the rest of us, everyone who is going!! grinning smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 10, 2013 20:54

Bjornulf, have you ever thought of mixing it up with something kinder to your joints and bones, like yoga, pilates, or tai chi?

I couldn't survive without my fitness classes. They are fun and a great mixture of anaerobic and aerobic exercise. But to each his own, it's more important that you enjoy whatever activity you chose.

Good health to everyone!smileys with beer

Date: December 10, 2013 22:00

We got some 20 cm i.e. 8 inches of snow this week-end. This means I can start the cross-country skiing season now. It is gentle with the legs, unlike flat and uphill running, which is hard on the legs when you do it to the extreme, like me. First I will have one week vacation now, starting Saturday (really need it desperately), then two months of skiing in our great hills of Asker. A few ski marathon i.e. 42 km races, then I should be ready for walking and stalking all the way from Melbourne to Hanging Rock and back... Joke smiling smiley

Bjornulf

Date: December 10, 2013 22:07

bv
Then I pulled out my printout with the guaranteed confirmed stay at a low rate

LOL Bjornulf. I remember the exact same story for the Stones in Stuttgart in 1999. I booked the hotelroom the second I heard the rumor that the Stones would be playing there. On checkout the price for the room was a lot higher than I booked it for. After I pulled out my confirmation, the guy at the frontdesk asked when I found out about the Stoneshow. When I told him, he said: Yeah, then you knew it befor we knew.

-------------------

Date: December 10, 2013 22:21

bv
We got some 20 cm i.e. 8 inches of snow this week-end. This means I can start the cross-country skiing season now. It is gentle with the legs, unlike flat and uphill running, which is hard on the legs when you do it to the extreme, like me. First I will have one week vacation now, starting Saturday (really need it desperately), then two months of skiing in our great hills of Asker. A few ski marathon i.e. 42 km races, then I should be ready for walking and stalking all the way from Melbourne to Hanging Rock and back... Joke smiling smiley

BV, I'm exhausted just contemplating your idea of taking it easy. I don't know how you do it all, but I'm glad you do it. Thanks, as always, for all your hard work keeping everything running on this wonderful site.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: December 11, 2013 05:42

Great post bv....mainly because I live about an hour south of Moncton and also had a funny story. We booked the hotel on the other side of the highway and almost the entire hotel was booked at regular rates before they were even aware of the concert...this actually led to changes in the scene in Moncton with the concerts that followed. It was great to get one over on the pricks for once...it's robbery own disguise if you ask me. Why the rate should double and need to be paid in advance? Does not seem fair....

But what a time we had in Moncton with the courtyard party the night before and the onstage seats the night of

Date: December 11, 2013 07:28

Sure Moncton was great! They say there are 65,000 people living in the Moncton area and there were 85,000 at the show. Perfect place for a Stones show, great outdoor hillside place where they are able to meet so many great fans, and everybody had a great time out there.

At that point of the 2005 tour I had been away for two months, ever since the Toronto rehearsals in the summer. I was going home for a quick week or so before rejoining the tour. Driving with friends to Halifax next morning after the show. Then the shortest intercontinental trip across the atlantic. Halifax and then landing in Saint John's Newfoundland, and then just a few hours over to London.

I think Hanging Rock might be sort of Australia's Moncton. It will be a traffic mess, people will probably not stay out there for days, like Moncton, but it will be a Victoria party. VB - that is what you get when you spell my initials backwards. I have been there of course. Abbotsford - The Carlton Brewery, fresh tasting VB...

[www.carltonbrewhouse.com.au]

PS. Today: 72 days until tour start in Abu Dhabi.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 12, 2013 17:54

Have fun everyone!!!

First time saying this. Please, take a lot of videos and post them on youtube!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home