Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Chico Hamilton
Date: November 27, 2013 15:29

Chico Hamilton passed away on 25 November. He was a phenomenal drummer and the reason why Charlie Watts started playing the drums. A couple of years ago Charlie even played a track on CH's album.

If it hadn't been for 'Walking Shoes' we would never have had Charlie playing drums with our favourite band. Hamilton was one of the greats. Bless him.

RIP Chico Hamilton.

Re: RIP Chico Hamilton
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2013 15:34

Beautiful track from my fav Chico Hamilton album. Eric Dolphy on alto sax.

cool smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 15:40

smiling bouncing smileythumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 27, 2013 15:41

Charlie, from a 1987 interview in DownBeat-

What is your history as a drummer? I've read that you started out drumming on a banjo with its neck twisted off.

Yeah, I bought a banjo, and I saw all these dots in a book-did you ever see a banjo book or a guitar book ? I couldn't have done that. Oh dear, all these little dot things. So I took the neck off, and about the same time I heard a drummer called Chico Hamilton. It was a record called Walking Shoes by Gerry Mulligan and I fell in love with the sound of the brushes. So I bought a pair of wire brushes and used the banjo, the skin of it - now it's probably worth more than a snare drum - as a drum.

thanks for the music Chico Hamilton..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 27, 2013 16:01

Ohh Sad News...I have a couple of very good albums on CD with Chico....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2013 12:52

Great and innovative drummer. There is of course a very slight Stones connection. The Chico Hamilton Quintet featured in the film The Sweet Taste Of Success. That movie is Andrew Loog Oldham's favourite film according to his book Stoned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home