Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: High Hopes - new album from Springsteen
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:21

Wow, The Boss is working really hard. He's just off from lenghty Wrecking Ball tour and has a new album already:

"Bruce Springsteen will release a new album, titled High Hopes, on January 14th. The album is available for pre-order now at smarturl.it/highhopes, and the music video for the title track can be seen now at brucespringsteen.net.

High Hopes finds Bruce in a number of different musical settings, and includes the members of the E Street Band as well as guitarist Tom Morello and many additional players. Recorded in New Jersey, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Australia and New York City, High Hopes marks Bruce’s 18th studio album and includes his own liner notes that detail the album’s evolution, viewable now at brucespringsteen.net.

Morello joined Bruce and the E Street Band on tour in Australia in March 2013 (sitting in for Steve Van Zandt), and became, as Bruce says, “my muse, pushing the rest of this project to another level.” Besides his guitar playing on the album, Morello also duets with Bruce on ”The Ghost of Tom Joad.” Clarence Clemons, who passed away in 2011, and Danny Federici, who passed away in 2008, also appear on several songs of what Springsteen calls “some of our best unreleased material from the past decade.”

To celebrate the album’s announcement, director Thom Zimny built a collage featuring photos from Danny Clinch, Australian tour footage featuring Tom Morello shot by Chris Hilson, and vintage documentary footage set to the title song. Click here to watch the video now.

High Hopes tracklisting:

1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) – featuring Tom Morello
2. Harry’s Place * – featuring Tom Morello
3. American Skin (41 Shots) – featuring Tom Morello
4. Just Like Fire Would (Chris J. Bailey) – featuring Tom Morello
5. Down In The Hole *
6. Heaven’s Wall ** – featuring Tom Morello
7. Frankie Fell In Love
8. This Is Your Sword
9. Hunter Of Invisible Game * – featuring Tom Morello
10. The Ghost of Tom Joad – duet with Tom Morello
11. The Wall
12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) – featuring Tom Morello
All songs written by Bruce Springsteen except as noted

Album produced by Ron Aniello with Bruce Springsteen

*Produced by Brendan O’Brien

**Produced by Brendan O’Brien, co-produced by Ron Aniello with Bruce Springsteen"

New single here: [vevo.ly]

Re: OT: High Hopes - new album from Springsteen
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:33

High Hopes = Sinatra?

Movie Soundtrack as I remember...and I got it on LP of course...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 26, 2013 11:37

Big thing here in Norway that the single, "High Hope" is written by Tim Scott McConnel, who lives here.

Lots of stupid stories about this single, and how it was the "best christmas present he could get" etc...

However, Bruce has released this tune before.

Date: November 26, 2013 11:45

The history books say:

[en.wikipedia.org])

Springsteen...McConnel...confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: November 26, 2013 12:35

Come On
The history books say:

[en.wikipedia.org])

Springsteen...McConnel...confused smiley

It didn't say much grinning smiley

This, however (norwegian only)...: [www.vg.no]

It's got nothing to do with Sinatra...

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: November 26, 2013 13:17

the new record will be followed by a 17-date tour of South Africa (1st time ever), Australia and New Zealand, from late january to early march. Morello might be on board with the ESB.
it's still unknown if the tour will go on past these dates. seems like no Europe for 2014 (we've had 66 dates over the last two summers), maybe NA in summer 2014.

and it looks like yet another (completely) new record might be released in late 2014, or early 2015.

Date: November 26, 2013 13:37

Bruce's 2014 tour:

Jan. 26 – Cape Town, South Africa, Bellville Velodrome
Jan. 28 – Cape Town, South Africa, Bellville Velodrome
Jan. 29 – Cape Town, South Africa, Bellville Velodrome

Feb. 1 – Johannesburg, South Africa, FNB Stadium

Feb. 5 – Perth, Australia, Perth Arena
Feb. 7 – Perth, Australia, Perth Arena
Feb. 8 – Perth, Australia, Perth Arena

Feb. 11 – Hindmarsh, Australia, Adelaide Entertainment Centre
Feb. 12 – Hindmarsh, Australia, Adelaide Entertainment Centre

Feb. 15 – Melbourne, Australia, AAMI Park
Feb. 16 – Melbourne, Australia, AAMI Park

Feb. 19 – Sydney, Australia, Allphones Arena

Feb. 22 – Pokolbin, Australia, Hope Estate Winery
Feb. 23 – Pokolbin, Australia, Hope Estate Winery

Feb. 26 – Boondall, Australia, Brisbane Entertainment Centre

March 1 – Auckland, New Zealand, Mt Smart Stadium
March 2 – Auckland, New Zealand, Mt Smart Stadium

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2013 14:26

I'm sure it'll be a good listen, but Im a bit underwhelmed by the notion of re-recording previously released songs and putting them on a 'studio' album. Only about five of those are new compositions - glad to see 'just like fire would' on there though. Its a sort of hybrid studio/Tracks 2 album if anything. An odd release.

I'm pretty sure this is a product theyve put out to promote the South African and Australian shows. I dont expect there will be other tour legs to follow it. Van Zandt is making a new series of Lillyhammer after it which takes him up to about June. More likely there'll be a 'regular' studio album a few months later with a proper tour to follow. Starting in the US. I'll be surprised if Bruce tours Europe again before summer 2015.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 26, 2013 14:28

Barf.

Date: November 26, 2013 14:28

superglen
the new record will be followed by a 17-date tour of South Africa (1st time ever), Australia and New Zealand, from late january to early march. Morello might be on board with the ESB.

It was confirmed months ago that Morello will play on this tour. Along with both Lofgren and Van Zandt.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 26, 2013 14:30

Track 5 is Down In The Hole? Now THAT would be an interesting cover!!

Drew

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 26, 2013 16:08

Date: November 26, 2013 16:32

loog droog

thumbs up NOW we're talking serious business! smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 26, 2013 16:33

Yep, not a very exciting release but better than nothing, if you follow my drift ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 26, 2013 20:02

Gazza
I'm sure it'll be a good listen, but Im a bit underwhelmed by the notion of re-recording previously released songs and putting them on a 'studio' album. Only about five of those are new compositions - glad to see 'just like fire would' on there though. Its a sort of hybrid studio/Tracks 2 album if anything. An odd release.

the record features 12 never-before-released recordings, of which 7 are Springsteen originals no one has ever heard before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 20:03 by superglen.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: November 26, 2013 21:01

This just put me in the mood for an afternoon Nap.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2013 21:30

4. Just Like Fire Would (Chris J. Bailey) – featuring Tom Morello

Hey YEAH cool ta see that Bruce is doin' a cover of a Saints track ... good song too

[www.nme.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: November 26, 2013 21:33

jjo
This just put me in the mood for an afternoon Nap.

Me too. Exhausted. Another bore from Springsteen

Date: November 26, 2013 21:48

superglen
Gazza

the record features 12 never-before-released recordings, of which 7 are Springsteen originals no one has ever heard before.

let me help you with what gazza means:

1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) – featuring Tom Morello (already heard a version of this before and performed live as well)

2. Harry’s Place * – featuring Tom Morello (track started in the rising sessions)

3. American Skin (41 Shots) – featuring Tom Morello (a live version released before as well as a rare studio promo version)

4. Just Like Fire Would (Chris J. Bailey) – featuring Tom Morello (cover song performed live already)

5. Down In The Hole * (outtake from the magic sessions i believe)

6. Heaven’s Wall ** – featuring Tom Morello (outtake from either magic or working on a dream)

7. Frankie Fell In Love

8. This Is Your Sword

9. Hunter Of Invisible Game * – featuring Tom Morello (outtake from either magic or working on a dream)

10. The Ghost of Tom Joad – duet with Tom Morello (already released in a different version on the album ghost of tom joad)

11. The Wall (played live already written around 1998)

12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) – featuring Tom Morello (cover song performed live already)

Date: November 27, 2013 02:15

>1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) – featuring Tom Morello (already heard a version of this before and performed live as well)

Indeed. 1995 studio version with the ESB released on the 'Blood Brothers' promo CD single that came with the home video release and was later issued on the 'Secret Garden' CD single.

>10. The Ghost of Tom Joad – duet with Tom Morello (already released in a different version on the album ghost of tom joad)

Live version with Morello as a guest already released as an itunes single and video in 2009 and (I think) on the RnRHoF DVD a few months later

>12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) – featuring Tom Morello (cover song performed live already)

and released as a 10-inch vinyl single a few years ago

Spot on, otherwise. You get my drift. I dont mind him releasing stuff hes played live before (theres nothing wrong with that at all) but re-recording studio versions of songs that he's already released in live formats is as pointless as a trolling post from michaelsavage/mickscarey. Second album in a row he's done this (there were three such songs on Wrecking Ball). Its not as if he's short of material. the fact that they're previously unreleased 'recordings' is meaningless. They're still previously released SONGS.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 27, 2013 02:18

eye rolling smiley winking smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 03:05

Gazza
>1. High Hopes (Tim Scott McConnell) – featuring Tom Morello (already heard a version of this before and performed live as well)

Indeed. 1995 studio version with the ESB released on the 'Blood Brothers' promo CD single that came with the home video release and was later issued on the 'Secret Garden' CD single.

>10. The Ghost of Tom Joad – duet with Tom Morello (already released in a different version on the album ghost of tom joad)

Live version with Morello as a guest already released as an itunes single and video in 2009 and (I think) on the RnRHoF DVD a few months later

>12. Dream Baby Dream (Martin Rev and Alan Vega) – featuring Tom Morello (cover song performed live already)

and released as a 10-inch vinyl single a few years ago

Spot on, otherwise. You get my drift. I dont mind him releasing stuff hes played live before (theres nothing wrong with that at all) but re-recording studio versions of songs that he's already released in live formats is as pointless as a trolling post from michaelsavage/mickscarey. Second album in a row he's done this (there were three such songs on Wrecking Ball). Its not as if he's short of material. the fact that they're previously unreleased 'recordings' is meaningless. They're still previously released SONGS.

yeah you see songs produced by Brendan O’Brien and you know there are leftovers with possible new overdubs as Bruce hasn't worked with Brendan O’Brien in like 3 years

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: November 27, 2013 03:10

Certainly not pointless. He feels some of these songs deserve a proper studio release and is some of his best writing! Who really cares if they were recorded before or played live before. Looking forward to hearing the new versions!

Date: November 27, 2013 03:44

birdie
Certainly not pointless. He feels some of these songs deserve a proper studio release and is some of his best writing! Who really cares if they were recorded before or played live before. Looking forward to hearing the new versions!

I dont. But I DO care if theyve been RELEASED before. Doesnt matter if they're some of his best writing or not? By that yardstick, should he just release a newly re-recorded version of the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town album?

Can you imagine the shitfit if the next Stones studio album was padded out with newly re-recorded versions of old b-sides like Through the Lonely nights, Jump on top of me and the like?

Granted, there'd be the obligatory cheerleaders who would manage to still get excited if the band released lo-fi recordings of their own bowel movements, but you'd like to think most sensible people would have higher standards.

This stuff belongs on a 'Tracks 2' type project.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2013 03:47

His Majesty
Barf.

I'm with you ... double-barf!

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: November 27, 2013 05:22

Gazza
birdie

I dont. But I DO care if theyve been RELEASED before. Doesnt matter if they're some of his best writing or not? By that yardstick, should he just release a newly re-recorded version of the entire Darkness on the Edge of Town album?

Can you imagine the shitfit if the next Stones studio album was padded out with newly re-recorded versions of old b-sides like Through the Lonely nights, Jump on top of me and the

Granted, there'd be the obligatory cheerleaders who would manage to still get excited if the band released lo-fi recordings of their own bowel movements, but you'd like to think most sensible people would have higher standards.

We are not talking about re-recording an entire album that has had a proper recording/release already. This will have 7 previously unavailable songs and six of them have never been played live before. And hopefully some good studio versions of songs played live before. Definitely not a typical Springsteen release but really looking forward to it. Don't really care when they were written. He feels they are up to his standards so I will give it a good listen. Enjoy!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:04

Love that Saints song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:05

Love that Saints song..... yeah and clever lyrics

ROCKMAN

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: November 27, 2013 08:14

Why is Little Steven not playing on the new album?
No offense to Tom Morello-he's brilliant.
But where was Little Steven?
Busy?
I am so glad I saw Bruce play with Danny and Clarence before they passed.
One of the best concerts I ever saw.
Thanks for the heads up on the new album,franzk.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 27, 2013 10:27

Gazza
birdie

Can you imagine the shitfit if the next Stones studio album was padded out with newly re-recorded versions of old b-sides like Through the Lonely nights, Jump on top of me and the like?

He released a newly recorded Darkness with a scaled back E Street Band as part of the video content of the Darkness box set, and it sounded great. Playing those songs as 60-ish year-old men gave the material a certain gravitas.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home