Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My memories from Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie
Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: November 23, 2013 02:20

It´s about time to share my memories with my fellows IORReans my experience about making and writing a book about my lifetime heroes…The Rolling Stones…

I started with the idea and the sense of giving some back to the music and the love that I received from the Stones for the last 30 and something years…
After reaching and interviewed from the first in my life,( I work in a Biblioteque) all the best Portuguese musicians without knowing anyone in the business, but just by showing them all my passion for their music, all of them agreed to meet and after a while I became very good friend with some of them..some of that later… and found out what was the importance of the Stones music in the Portuguese Rock´n Roll scene…All of them wore extremely conscient of the quality of their music and therefore in their influence in their musical careers.

Then it was time to get the photographers…mind you that I had no money and not even a publishing house yet, to make contract for the copyright of the photos. So I just explained my project to 100 of the best photographers in the world…from those 100, 40 came out and decided to help me in the dream of mine, knowing my limits, they offered all the photos (one of them offered me 2400 photos, never published before, some brilliant, other horrible) I also made good friends with some of them. I ´m so forever grateful for all of them.

The fans…we are the air the bands breads… so I invited some of us, who goes to foruns, travels Kms and Kms just for two hours of music…and asked to share their memories of the Stones, specially if they had seen the Stones in Portugal…You wrote me back…I thank you all for helping me out…
It was then time to approach the Stones…everyone called me crazy, for even thinking about trying to get their contacts, their motivation, attention and interest in writing for some who is unknown to them , who didn´t even wrote a book before, with no experience in that subject…

But our lives are carried by dreams…
After getting some of the background band, Leavell, Darryl Jones, Fowler, Tim Ries, Kent Smith, Michael Davis, Blondie...all these nice people wrote me and told me about their Portuguese memories, some of them even send me private photos.

It was about time to surround the band… After one uear and a half of persistence, and lots of international phone calls, I get to start the something was in the air…
I send a letter to Charlie, who in return send me beautiful photo signed by himself, wishing Good Luck Rolando: I was so happy for it…

Ronnie called me crazy! No wonder..I wrote him around 16 emails, but in the end I received (with a tremendous and kind help from someone that we all know, love and respect ( a fellow iorrean, witch I will not name it, unless if he wants to come forward) I received a message with his Portuguese memories…

Two Stones inside, two to go…

Keith Richards…the first attempt was really nice received by Keith´s staff and manager, but Keith was just relaxing from his emotional adventure from writing Life. So the idea was good but the timing was wrong. After nearly a year later, time for a new approach. They remembered me and thought was funny that I didn´t gave up. I answered that the motto behind this is the 3P´s rule…Passion, Persistence and Passion. On the 27 of January 2012, while siting watching TV, the sound of the fax starts…and there is a fax from Keith Richards…I was danced with my girlfriend for a long time in the living room just to commemorate...

In one trip to London, I went and payed a visit to Mick Jagger lawyer and showed my project around (2 pages) about this book. I was told that Mick receives something like 400 invitations to projects, films, etc every month, and that he takes a just a very few of them home. It seemed difficult to get his memories from Portugal..A few weeks later I received a phone call saying that my invitation was taken by him…there are some hopes…until the 30 of November 2011, I received a email, with a quote from the man himself to my book! Just Perfect…Can you imagine Mick Jagger writing you back…I was so happy that I went out with some of my friends, ending up drunk on a Russian strip club…
I had the four Rolling Stones writing for my book. Please If I sound arrogant, forgive me, but it´s not that, quite the opposite, I felt so humble and grateful…to achieve aDream…
The book was published a year ago, and it´s sold out….
Thank you for reading … and sorry for my english

THANK YOU ROLLING STONES

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 22:53 by Riffbuk.

Re: My memories from Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 23, 2013 02:47

Thanks for sharing your journey in completing a compilation of the Stones Tour experience in Portugal. Sounds like your efforts were well rewarded.

I would like to read your book. However, I do not speak Portugese. The language, unknown too many, is confused with Spanish. One aspect of Portugese, which is memorable is the fact that once you hear it is never forgotten. And heard again, you know exactly what it is. It's very distinctive.

The reason I know these facts is because living in S. Florida has exposed me to the language via Brazilians out and about.

Again - Congratulations! Saludos! Long Live the Stones!!!!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 23, 2013 04:19

What a wonderful story--and as luck would have it, I'm learning Portuguese! But I'd want to buy it if it was only for that wonderful image of you dancing in the living room with your girlfriend . . . smiling smiley

You said it's sold out--does that mean it's no longer available?

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 23, 2013 22:51

Parabéns Rolando, que história fantástica. Um abraço do Porto.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 23, 2013 23:22

So happy for you Riffbuk, and great to bump into you a few times!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 24, 2013 01:23

Good for you Riffbuk. Congratulations and thanks for the story

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: November 24, 2013 05:10

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Hope the book does well for you.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 24, 2013 08:30

Great story!!! I love the 3P's rule too!!!

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:48

Fantastic! It does sound like you had a nearly impossible dream in the beginning, pretty incredible that you made it come through piece by piece. Congratulations!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:57

Apesar de já conhecer a história, pois li o livro, é bom vê-la contada aqui para os colegas do IORR. Grande abraço, Rolando!

Date: November 25, 2013 19:55

Thank you all for your words!

It was really a odissey to acomplish this dream...and the feedback that I got from Keith´s office alone was worth to write the book..."Beautiful book they" said

Write a book plant a tree raise a child....Well I´m missing the tree...maybe Chuck Leavell can help me out...

Aquamarine. Yes the book is sold out, but I can always get you copy. email me please...Is there a better way to learn another language, than to read about the Rolling Stones?

Obrigado Torres, forte abraço de Portimão e Cristiano pelas palavras

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:26

Obrigada! I will email you. smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 25, 2013 22:40

Nice read Riffbuk thanks for sharing .......you just showed us never give up your dream..................,

Date: November 26, 2013 01:27

Thank you Nicos!
This book was a big life experience ( 3 years to make it)...I learned that as long as you keep the faith in yourself no one can stop you!

Another thing is that I realised that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie they really care for you and me,the fans... This idea of them being unavailable it´s wrong, as long as you show respect and have the patience, beacause they are very, but very busy and receive lots of request worldwide...you will get what you want.

The first and the hardest thing is to show that your worthy of the trust from the staff, managers, lawyers, etc, etc that surronds the band. It´s like you have to pass several layers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 01:33 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:55

Your book was fantastic. I was so honoured to be asked to contribute a little part of it.

Date: November 26, 2013 02:08

Thank you so much dear Gazza!
You know how much I respect and consider you and your tremendous knowledge...It was blessing and a privelige to have you and your help to make the dream come true.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 26, 2013 15:55

I LOVE this story and I LOVE the book even more now!
Well Done my friend, Well Done!

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 27, 2013 17:34

An excellent story. It's so good to hear the guys whose music we cherish and whose lives we follow (for better or for worse) did the right thing & contributed to your effort. Way to go!
smoking smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 27, 2013 23:11

Dear Rolando,

What can I say beside what I told you in person...?
I was so happy for your invitation to write and share one of my Stones' experiences in your book!

I even show up in 2 photos, one in Porto, August 12 2006, and the other in June 2007 in Lisbon, with you, Gazza, Paulywaul....

Great memories, but above All,

CONGRATULATIONS my friend for your work of love for The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 27, 2013 23:23

Thanks for sharing your story, how wonderful for you that your perseverance paid off. It's nice to know that the Stone's were supportive of your book and kind enough to help you out.

On a side note, I spent some time in Lisbon many years ago, beautiful city full of lovely people.

Congratulations...I wish you continued success.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home