Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Elmore James
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 22, 2013 15:40

mr_dja
Bellajane
Thanks for the video. Definitely something to watch over the weekend. So much music...so little time! Too bad I have to work.smiling smiley

If my office didn't let me pick the playlist at my desk I think I'd have quit years ago. Funny thing is, I manage the FRONT office where I work so all of our customers have first contact with me and my playlist. Although I do censor out the NSFW stuff, I can't tell you how many people over the years have asked me for information about the blues/r&b/old rock & roll that regularly plays in our lobby! I must say it's nice to be in a position where I can say "I like my job"! I may have to bring in some Roy Buchanon & Elmore James tomorrow to play in bellajane's honor!

Peace,
Mr DJA

That's so sweet..be sure to Shake Your Money Maker for me...just love that song!smiling bouncing smiley Just was thinking about the Blues Brothers movie when Ray Charles was playing and the crowd was dancing in the streets...you could do something similar in the lobby. Could be fun!!

Date: November 22, 2013 15:45

Such great advice, I'm overwhelmed for sure. Thanks so much. I listened to Live at The Regal once again this morning on the way to work, and I'm still not blown away by it. It's good, but I guess I'm still in too a dirty of a mood.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 22, 2013 15:52

Bellajane
mr_dja
Bellajane
Thanks for the video. Definitely something to watch over the weekend. So much music...so little time! Too bad I have to work.smiling smiley

If my office didn't let me pick the playlist at my desk I think I'd have quit years ago. Funny thing is, I manage the FRONT office where I work so all of our customers have first contact with me and my playlist. Although I do censor out the NSFW stuff, I can't tell you how many people over the years have asked me for information about the blues/r&b/old rock & roll that regularly plays in our lobby! I must say it's nice to be in a position where I can say "I like my job"! I may have to bring in some Roy Buchanon & Elmore James tomorrow to play in bellajane's honor!

Peace,
Mr DJA

That's so sweet..be sure to Shake Your Money Maker for me...just love that song!smiling bouncing smiley Just was thinking about the Blues Brothers movie when Ray Charles was playing and the crowd was dancing in the streets...you could do something similar in the lobby. Could be fun!!

That was "Shake A Tail Feather".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 22, 2013 16:00

It was a fun scene..especially the little kids dancing!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 22, 2013 17:45

teleblaster
+1 for Hound Dog Taylor. He played slide in the style of Elmore James in a trio (no bass guitar) and they rocked! Bruce Iglauer started a record label - Alligator - specifically to record Hound Dog (and that first album is majestic). Unfortunately, Hound Dog died before the release of the live "Beware of the Dog". I try to pick up any Hound Dog stuff that I can get my hands on. "Release the Hound" is also live and it's pretty good too.

Considering the sheer amount of gigs he played, I've found remarkably few bootlegs. If anyone knows different, please let me know!

I fully agree with this ...I'm glad there's more people here on this Forum who likes Hound Dog ...smileys with beer

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 22, 2013 17:53

Come On
teleblaster
+1 for Hound Dog Taylor. He played slide in the style of Elmore James in a trio (no bass guitar) and they rocked! Bruce Iglauer started a record label - Alligator - specifically to record Hound Dog (and that first album is majestic). Unfortunately, Hound Dog died before the release of the live "Beware of the Dog". I try to pick up any Hound Dog stuff that I can get my hands on. "Release the Hound" is also live and it's pretty good too.

Considering the sheer amount of gigs he played, I've found remarkably few bootlegs. If anyone knows different, please let me know!

I fully agree with this ...I'm glad there's more people here on this Forum who likes Hound Dog ...smileys with beer

There are hundreds of guitar players I like a lot, some of whom played in a similar style to Hound Dog (e.g., J.B.Hutto), but there are none who hit the spot for me like the Hound Dog. The feeling just flows through him (as did Canadian Club, apparently).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 22, 2013 20:52

teleblaster
Come On
teleblaster

There are hundreds of guitar players I like a lot, some of whom played in a similar style to Hound Dog (e.g., J.B.Hutto), but there are none who hit the spot for me like the Hound Dog. The feeling just flows through him (as did Canadian Club, apparently).

OK,give me 5 names...would be valuable to me since you have Hound Dog as NO 1...smiling smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 23, 2013 19:05

Come On
teleblaster
Come On
teleblaster

OK,give me 5 names...would be valuable to me since you have Hound Dog as NO 1...smiling smiley

I like loads of guitarists. On the blues front, I like a lot of the pre-war guys like Blind Willie McTell, Blind Willie Johnton, Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Blake, Bo Carter (who did not go blind until later in life). His cousin, Sam Chatmon, recorded some great stuff later in life. Bukka White, Furry Lewis, Son House. Really liked John Campbell. Electric wise I like Otis Rush, Freddie King, Magic Sam, J.B. Lenoir, J.B. Hutto. Listen to a lot of R.L. Burnside. Wilko Johnson too. Of the younger players, I always try to catch Joanne Shaw Taylor and Jason & The Scorchers when they're in town.

I keep coming back to Hound Dog because his music is so organic - it's in his blood and, by the time he was recorded on Alligator, he'd spent decades honing his style and his chops in clubs and juke joints. It makes me feel good!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 04:13

Good for you Bellajane for getting into the music of the great Elmore James. I have also loved this guys sound for years now and have to say he's one of my all time favorites. Brian Jones went by the name of Elmo Louis when he first played in London but I didn't know Mick Taylor also was so into his sound. Much dirtier and raw than BB King alright and I once read that Mr.James was a radio repair man by trade and so was able to tweek his owm amps to get the sound he was after. I love his voice also. Always seems just on the edge of losing it completely and I have never heard anyone sounding more black in my life. And thats not a bad thing far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 30, 2013 15:04

To Know A Man was a great double album which I believe was issued on CD under a different title.
Does anyone know if this is correct and, if so, what the title is on CD?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home