Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: question for fans of the MARSHALL TUCKER BAND?
Date: November 18, 2013 18:16

since the late 80's doug gray has been carrying on the name of the Marshall Tucker Band. they have released a lot of studio albums since then. are any of these albums worth getting?

Re: OT: question for fans of the MARSHALL TUCKER BAND?
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 19:25

Although I can't recommend any of them, I'm sure there are some good efforts. If you're a fan of Doug Gray's vocals especially. He's a favorite of mine and the Marshall Tucker Band has some excellent recordings. I would browse the tube for videos exampling the recordings in question. I tend to think his fist post MTB recordings might be his better stuff. I think he did an album under another band as well.

Date: November 18, 2013 20:25

three16
Although I can't recommend any of them, I'm sure there are some good efforts. If you're a fan of Doug Gray's vocals especially. He's a favorite of mine and the Marshall Tucker Band has some excellent recordings. I would browse the tube for videos exampling the recordings in question. I tend to think his fist post MTB recordings might be his better stuff. I think he did an album under another band as well.

i know live gray can no longer cut it but i have a few of the recent recordings on an anthology and in the studio he still sounds pretty good

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:07

Wow, a blast from the past. I got free tickets to see them at the much missed Glasgow Apollo about '76. They hadn't sold well and they were offering freebies in the student union building. Support was Bonnie Bramlett, formerly with Clapton in Delaney and Bonnie.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:55

Toy Caldwell WAS the Marshall Tucker Band.

Founder, lead guitarist and primary song writer.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: November 19, 2013 02:57

The Marshall Tucker Band is not the Marshall Tucker Band

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:21

Saw them blow the Allman Brothers off the stage in '76, and headline an incredible four-encore show with the Outlaws in '78. Haven't paid much attention to them since ....

Date: November 20, 2013 06:23

thanks guys. i might just check out some newer charlie daniels band stuff instead

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:57

keefriffhard4life
thanks guys. i might just check out some newer charlie daniels band stuff instead
Like the older Marshall Tucker & Charlie Daniel's stuff but haven't followed the newer releases....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 20, 2013 10:15

I have a question for fans of the Marshall Tucker Band:

Is there anyone named Marshall Tucker in the band? Has there ever been?

OK, that was two questions, I know, but it gets confusing.

Because I know there is actually a Charlie Daniels, and as long as he is fronting it then it will always be the Charlie Daniels Band, even if the devil no longer goes down to Georgia.

But that Marshall Tucker question, whenever it's on my mind, usually when Monday morning rocks, kind of nags at me. Shouldn't it be the Doug Gray Band?

OK, now I'm up to three questions....

Though I know someday, someway I'll get an answer....--hey, wait, Whenever You're On My Mind, Monday Morning Rock, Someday Someway, these are Marshall Crenshaw songs.

Wrong Marshall--sorry.

So, yeah, it looks like I have three questions about Marshall Crenshaw Tucker (see above).

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: November 20, 2013 10:22

stonehearted

Because I know there is actually a Charlie Daniels, and as long as he is fronting it then it will always be the Charlie Daniels Band, even if the devil no longer goes down to Georgia.

But that Marshall Tucker question, whenever it's on my mind, usually when Monday morning rocks, kind of nags at me. Shouldn't it be the Doug Gray Band?

Though I know someday, someway I'll get an answer....--hey, wait, Whenever You're On My Mind, Monday Morning Rock, Someday Someway, these are Marshall Crenshaw songs.

Wrong Marshall--sorry.

So, yeah, it looks like I have three questions about Marshall Crenshaw Tucker (see above).

Sorry, don't know the answers. But do believe the devil still goes down to Georgia! cool smiley

Date: November 20, 2013 11:25

stonehearted

Wrong Marshall--sorry.

there was never anyone in the band named marshall tucker

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 20, 2013 11:52

^ Now I really am confused.

But I guess I shouldn't be--after all, there was never anyone named Bonzo in the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

Date: November 20, 2013 12:33

stonehearted
^ Now I really am confused.

But I guess I shouldn't be--after all, there was never anyone named Bonzo in the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

at one point the band was called TOY FACTORY, toy caldwell was the lead guitar player. the band was thinking of a new name and saw the name marshall tucker on something and picked it because they thought it sounded like something from the old west

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 20, 2013 15:28

Marshall Tucker was the name on a key chain to a rehearsal space they rented. He was an elderly black man.

As a southern teenager in the 70's, I love MT, CDB, ABB, LS, Wet Willie, and all the rest. A short (but most excellent) era in music. Much variety under the umbrella of "Southern Rock". Many of these artists still carry on - some better than others.

I tend to agree that Toy was the heart and soul of MT. I even wrote a song about him. May post it if I can figure out how. It's actually pretty good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-20 15:30 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: November 20, 2013 16:38

Elmo Lewis
Marshall Tucker was the name on a key chain to a rehearsal space they rented. He was an elderly black man.

As a southern teenager in the 70's, I love MT, CDB, ABB, LS, Wet Willie, and all the rest. A short (but most excellent) era in music. Much variety under the umbrella of "Southern Rock". Many of these artists still carry on - some better than others.

I tend to agree that Toy was the heart and soul of MT. I even wrote a song about him. May post it if I can figure out how. It's actually pretty good!

there is the answer, the thing the name was on was a key chain

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 20, 2013 19:43

From Wikipedia (never wrong!):

The "Marshall Tucker" in the band's name does not refer to a band member, but rather a Spartanburg-area piano tuner. While the band was discussing possible band names one evening in an old warehouse they had rented for rehearsal space, someone noticed that the warehouse's door key had the name "Marshall Tucker" inscribed on it, and suggested they call themselves the "The Marshall Tucker Band," not realizing it referred to an actual person. It later came to light that Marshall Tucker, the blind piano tuner, had rented the space before the band, and his name was inscribed on the key.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: November 20, 2013 21:39

God - Toy blew the roof of many a concert hall out here in Los Angeles back in the 70's - remember the 1st time I saw them - Lyn. Skynyrd was the 2nd act, Tucker the 3rd. this was just after both of their 1st albums were released.

Everyone was going crazy after Skynyrd finished with: Free Bird

Then Toy lit into; Hillbilly Band and I said to my guitar playin buddy:

He's better than all three of Skynyrd's guitarists put together!!!!
Never forget that thumb picking Country boy!!!! RIP to him & Tommy!!!!

MLC

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: November 28, 2013 06:18

I believe that tatters as I've always found the Allmans a bit boring. Saw the J.Geils band blow the Stones off stage in 81 in Seattle and it took me years to admit to it, lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home