Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Mick Taylor and the next Stones Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 16, 2013 17:58

triceratops
Aquamarine
triceratops

We all remember Keith pre-tour where he said MickT would have a large role in supplementing the guitar sound. Keith was over ruled by Mick Jagger who gets to rule because he does the finances and contracts with some help of course.

Watch that interview again.

You are the second person to bring this up so take another look at this Jimmy Fallon show interview [www.examiner.com]

___________________"And Ronnie [Wood] and I, after all, you understand, the Stones' records sometimes have four, five, maybe six guitars on them which we carefully overlay and artistically manufacture. And then we get on stage, and there's two of us [guitarists], and we have to decide which of the six guitars [we're going to play]. Mick Taylor with us as an added third guitar. Yeah, this is going to be an interesting tour all around."_______________________

Keith is saying that Mick Taylor will be the third guitar player during the Stones 2013 dates. Why? Because many Rolling Stones tunes had four-five-six guitars tracked onto them and Keith wants that fuller guitar sound. Becuase Keith thinks in terms of guitars

Meanwhile Mick Jagger was lining up guests Katy Perry etc Taylor Swift etc lamers like Eric Clapton groupie John Mayer who have no history with the Stones. To crowd out "guest" Mick Taylor who has a brilliant history with the Stones.

End result being Mick Taylor being shoved aside for shallow personalities doing guest spots.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. It's not as though there wasn't enough room on the stage to just have MT there the entire time. Blondie wasn't on the tour so MT could have used his space on stage.

No, something else was at play here...I'm sure we'll find out when Keith as wrung ever last bit of juice out of the stones, and publishes his follow-up book...After LIFE.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 16, 2013 20:21

treaclefingers
triceratops
Aquamarine
triceratops

We all remember Keith pre-tour where he said MickT would have a large role in supplementing the guitar sound. Keith was over ruled by Mick Jagger who gets to rule because he does the finances and contracts with some help of course.

Watch that interview again.

You are the second person to bring this up so take another look at this Jimmy Fallon show interview [www.examiner.com]

___________________"And Ronnie [Wood] and I, after all, you understand, the Stones' records sometimes have four, five, maybe six guitars on them which we carefully overlay and artistically manufacture. And then we get on stage, and there's two of us [guitarists], and we have to decide which of the six guitars [we're going to play]. Mick Taylor with us as an added third guitar. Yeah, this is going to be an interesting tour all around."_______________________

Keith is saying that Mick Taylor will be the third guitar player during the Stones 2013 dates. Why? Because many Rolling Stones tunes had four-five-six guitars tracked onto them and Keith wants that fuller guitar sound. Becuase Keith thinks in terms of guitars

Meanwhile Mick Jagger was lining up guests Katy Perry etc Taylor Swift etc lamers like Eric Clapton groupie John Mayer who have no history with the Stones. To crowd out "guest" Mick Taylor who has a brilliant history with the Stones.

End result being Mick Taylor being shoved aside for shallow personalities doing guest spots.

I don't think that had anything to do with it. It's not as though there wasn't enough room on the stage to just have MT there the entire time. Blondie wasn't on the tour so MT could have used his space on stage.

No, something else was at play here...I'm sure we'll find out when Keith as wrung ever last bit of juice out of the stones, and publishes his follow-up book...After LIFE.

I agree there's not necessarily a connection between Keith's BS and the guests. Couldhave had both. I think it's just down to Keith says whatever he wants, no necessary relation to reality, but working MT into the show for more than what they did was just too much work. And that's it. There was never any plan for him to do more, he was just another guest.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 16, 2013 22:51

Rokyfan
treaclefingers

I agree there's not necessarily a connection between Keith's BS and the guests. Couldhave had both. I think it's just down to Keith says whatever he wants, no necessary relation to reality, but working MT into the show for more than what they did was just too much work. And that's it. There was never any plan for him to do more, he was just another guest.

Keith had one plan and Jagger had another. My speculation is Keith wanted Taylor up there playing third guitar while Jagger wanted him limited to one or two tunes. Could be as simple as Taylor being a bit overweight. Jagger is youth obsessesed we all know. His ideal Stones audience is 20-40 years old

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 16, 2013 23:38

arghhh. It's water under the bridge now. It was a great tour. I got to see Taylor play with them and I believe if they continue there will be a spot for him... He did quit after all and is not exactly playing as he did in 1972. Being pragmatic seemed to be the road The Glimmers used and why disagree? Band of The Year, a great showing in Glasto, Ronnie stepin' up, Keith standing up, no one died, a splendid time for all..

Posted by: DinoDynamite ()
Date: November 17, 2013 13:12

triceratops
Rokyfan
treaclefingers

Keith had one plan and Jagger had another. My speculation is Keith wanted Taylor up there playing third guitar while Jagger wanted him limited to one or two tunes. Could be as simple as Taylor being a bit overweight. Jagger is youth obsessesed we all know. His ideal Stones audience is 20-40 years old
\

That is a reasonable explanation of the occasional contributions from MT. I think it is not a matter of weight; Cuck and Bobby (and Lisa, o dear) are also not exactly lightweights.
I think, however, other factors come into play. Still MT sudden decision to leave. But above all the fear of Jagger that MT would draw too much attention to itself. It is clear that behind the scenes Jagger determines at what point MT appears on stage. On stage he then decides how long his solo lasts, for example, the truncation at Sway.
The explanation however of the way there has dealt with MT gives a good indication how it will go at the next Tour. Starring Mick Jagger.
I think we need to wait for Taylor’s memoirs.
Does anyone happen to have an idea for an appropriate title for such a book?'Like a rolling stone’?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:49

DinoDynamite
triceratops
Rokyfan
treaclefingers

\

That is a reasonable explanation of the occasional contributions from MT. I think it is not a matter of weight; Cuck and Bobby (and Lisa, o dear) are also not exactly lightweights.
I think, however, other factors come into play. Still MT sudden decision to leave. But above all the fear of Jagger that MT would draw too much attention to itself. It is clear that behind the scenes Jagger determines at what point MT appears on stage. On stage he then decides how long his solo lasts, for example, the truncation at Sway.
The explanation however of the way there has dealt with MT gives a good indication how it will go at the next Tour. Starring Mick Jagger.
I think we need to wait for Taylor’s memoirs.
Does anyone happen to have an idea for an appropriate title for such a book?'Like a rolling stone’?

"Just Rolling..."

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 18, 2013 00:59

" Time Waits For No-One"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 18, 2013 01:02

Does anyone happen to have an idea for an appropriate title for such a book?

15 stone alone

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 18, 2013 01:55

His Majesty
Does anyone happen to have an idea for an appropriate title for such a book?

15 stone alone

You'd need an American translation.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home